RuneScape Content's Answers by Mod Fetzki 10-Sep-2009

Bauke

You're probably right. It could be considered paying for in game items.

However, many people already buy membership just for skill capes. The only difference is that they don't have the option of taking them off.

Skill capes are for show; they don't have a big impact on actual gameplay. What harm could it do if Jagex made an exception to one of the most coveted items in Runescape?

You already said it yourself. Since skill capes are such an important feature, it generates income for Jagex.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right. It could be considered paying for in game items.

However, many people already buy membership just for skill capes. The only difference is that they don't have the option of taking them off.

Skill capes are for show; they don't have a big impact on actual gameplay. What harm could it do if Jagex made an exception to one of the most coveted items in Runescape?

You already said it yourself. Since skill capes are such an important feature, it generates income for Jagex.

I think they would still be highly sought after. Adding a little usability (right word?) to skill capes wouldn't change the method of obtaining one. They wouldn't be more accessible and, therefore, wouldn't drop in popularity.

If someone went for a skill cape just because of the defense bonus, they would be crazy, haha. ::' They could just buy an obby cape and save some time and a few mil.

Bauke,

I don't think you understand my idea. I'm not talking about giving F2P full access to skill capes, just the ability to wear them.

If I'm the one confused, then:

I don't think people who are full time members would become F2P just because of this. The number people who buy a month of membership to buy skill capes would stay the same, or maybe increase. Plus, it's got the potential to attract new members.

The idea that people would pay just for the ability to take off their skill capes is ridiculous. Why should Jagex profit off the inconvenience of its players?

f203f1850c.png

I think they would still be highly sought after. Adding a little usability (right word?) to skill capes wouldn't change the method of obtaining one. They wouldn't be more accessible and, therefore, wouldn't drop in popularity.

If someone went for a skill cape just because of the defense bonus, they would be crazy, haha. ::' They could just buy an obby cape and save some time and a few mil.

Bauke,

I don't think you understand my idea. I'm not talking about giving F2P full access to skill capes, just the ability to wear them.

I don't think people who are full time members would become F2P just because of this. The number people who buy a month of membership to buy skill capes would stay the same, or maybe increase. Plus, it's got the potential to attract new members.

The idea that people would pay just for the ability to take off their skill capes is ridiculous. Why should Jagex profit off the inconvenience of its players?

f203f1850c.png

Bauke,

practicality/ value <---> useability?

btw great point! i was in debate club as a lad so i do like structured rebuttals! good show!

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

[hide=skill goals if you're interested...]

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

Bauke,

practicality/ value <---> useability?

btw great point! i was in debate club as a lad so i do like structured rebuttals! good show!

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

[hide=skill goals if you're interested...]

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

A new slayer update? i hope this has to do with the mysterious machinery and creating slayer monsters.

what machinery? and what isup with the "non-existant" boxes in port sarim?

in the pollivineach slayer dungeon in the abberant specter's room is a large intricate and examinable machine. one of the examines reads along the lines of "creating a monster".

A new slayer update? i hope this has to do with the mysterious machinery and creating slayer monsters.

what machinery? and what isup with the "non-existant" boxes in port sarim?

in the pollivineach slayer dungeon in the abberant specter's room is a large intricate and examinable machine. one of the examines reads along the lines of "creating a monster".

I read through it...what a roller coaster ride it was. At first i was excited about it and liked the idea that they took the time to make the post. Roughly halfway through, i started becoming annoyed. Are they truely working on all they say they are? Most everything is being worked on or developed. It makes me wonder how it was possible that at one point they were able to update at the pace they had been. Where have all the resources been placed? Understanding the server upgrade must have taken alot of work, was most everyone on it? It seems like update year is a sham, the updates, although nice, are not impressive.

Their timing seems to be off aswell. With a great chunk of players students, Jagex decided to keep on the upgrade idea for summer when most people have time to play. Now that students have went back to school, Jagex seems to be starting, or soon starting to fade away from upgrades. The timing couldn't have been more wrong.

The only thing i can think of is the previous CEO(forgot name), pushed most everything Jagex had ready for release out in order to update at the rate they were. Having sent everything that was ready to go out, left MMG with little to nothing to work with. That would explain the bad timing and the upgrade year. If this is they case, i would be a much more happy customer being told that, because right now, Jagex seems shady to me. Alot of talk, but nothing that looks to be anytime soon, or a good reason why they took a whole year for fixes that should have been done in conjunction with regular updates.

All in all, im still paying for membership, not because of updates, because i like the game. But from the stand point of a customer in general, it seems someday things might get better. But will the masses want to stick around and wait that long?

swordwarior.png

I read through it...what a roller coaster ride it was. At first i was excited about it and liked the idea that they took the time to make the post. Roughly halfway through, i started becoming annoyed. Are they truely working on all they say they are? Most everything is being worked on or developed. It makes me wonder how it was possible that at one point they were able to update at the pace they had been. Where have all the resources been placed? Understanding the server upgrade must have taken alot of work, was most everyone on it? It seems like update year is a sham, the updates, although nice, are not impressive.

Their timing seems to be off aswell. With a great chunk of players students, Jagex decided to keep on the upgrade idea for summer when most people have time to play. Now that students have went back to school, Jagex seems to be starting, or soon starting to fade away from upgrades. The timing couldn't have been more wrong.

The only thing i can think of is the previous CEO(forgot name), pushed most everything Jagex had ready for release out in order to update at the rate they were. Having sent everything that was ready to go out, left MMG with little to nothing to work with. That would explain the bad timing and the upgrade year. If this is they case, i would be a much more happy customer being told that, because right now, Jagex seems shady to me. Alot of talk, but nothing that looks to be anytime soon, or a good reason why they took a whole year for fixes that should have been done in conjunction with regular updates.

All in all, im still paying for membership, not because of updates, because i like the game. But from the stand point of a customer in general, it seems someday things might get better. But will the masses want to stick around and wait that long?

swordwarior.png

I have to agree, seriously this huge lack of decent updates and now they tell us thier working on heaps, but it wont come out for the next year or so?

I have to hope that theres a flood of new updates and that things start to get back on track soon.

Skill capes would be handy to be wearable on both p2p and f2p for ex-members, but I don't expect them to ever be useable on f2p because you'd have an advantage over regular f2p players, a skill cape is a lot better compared to team and coloured capes, sure it's only a few extra defence point bonuses but it's still an unfair advantage and I can understand why Jagex wouldn't allow it.

Hope that makes sense :?

I think if you get a 99 you deserve an advantage, I mean come on a +4 bonus or whatevers hardly going to decide the result of the fight, and its 13million xp. That deserves some kind of bonus.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

I have to agree, seriously this huge lack of decent updates and now they tell us thier working on heaps, but it wont come out for the next year or so?

I have to hope that theres a flood of new updates and that things start to get back on track soon.

Skill capes would be handy to be wearable on both p2p and f2p for ex-members, but I don't expect them to ever be useable on f2p because you'd have an advantage over regular f2p players, a skill cape is a lot better compared to team and coloured capes, sure it's only a few extra defence point bonuses but it's still an unfair advantage and I can understand why Jagex wouldn't allow it.

Hope that makes sense :?

I think if you get a 99 you deserve an advantage, I mean come on a +4 bonus or whatevers hardly going to decide the result of the fight, and its 13million xp. That deserves some kind of bonus.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.