Is too much money a bad thing?

Albel

For me, being someone who has never had more than a 20m cash pile, I'd have to say that more money would actually make the game more fun. If I had all the equipment I wanted, I could happily slay to 99 and just spend all of the profit on prayer potions and cannonballs without having to put some aside for that DFS that I want so badly. :(

You'll learn that the items you have always wanted aren't as spectacular as they seemed like when you couldn't get them once you get them. You'll learn that once you've got the money, the items are nothing special. Once you hit 100m, you're in the life of a clone. You will look like everyone else. You will train like everyone else. There is nothing special, and you will find that money was not the answer all along: it was the experience you had getting it. :)

Or at least that's what happened to me :P

Buy 3a, limited cloning :thumbup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As problems go, "too much money" isn't such a bad one to have. :thumbsup:

If you have too much money, I'd be willing to help you dispose of some of it. I'm always ready to share a friend's burdens. ::'

As some players have already posted, I am driven by just accumulating wealth. Playing off and on since 2001 my combat is only in the 90's yet I take more pride in my white phat and masks. The lame quests and terrible ge/pk changes have really turned me off and I finally canceled my membership after 2-3 years. Yet, I'll be back eventually...it always happens.

Yes and no. Actually money is useless. Wealth is different thing. I like to have enough wealth to have every best item (stat wise) and duplicates of them there is without worrying about losing money on them. I can do everything combat related I want to in the most efficient way. For me it doesn't have to be "worth my time to do", I just do what I enjoy most and feel like doing. Once you have enough wealth you can start doing things for fun.

I like hunting rare drops simply because getting them feels like achievements for me.

I can try to get armadyl hilt drop without worrying that if I had something I could do it more efficiently (although I don't have everything :P DIVINEEE!). To me it's not trying to gain more wealth, it can be side effect, though. The main purpose is achievement; "I got it myself" -feeling.

Exactly same thing for other hilts, sigils (in ffa), dragon claws, dragon full helms,visages, dragon chainmails, KQ head, KBD heads etc. If I can do all of these in the fastest way there is, then I'm happy with what I own and don't need more wealth.

I'm not talking only about high value items but also supplies. I need to have enough supplies to do everything of those without need to buy them when I feel like doing something.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having "too much money". In fact, as they say it, the more the merrier.

Seriously, if you complain about too much money, then go spend them on skilling.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I know having to much cash certainly wouldn't bother me. There's just so much that I want to do. If I ever had 100m+, I'd probably spend it in a second.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

For me, being someone who has never had more than a 20m cash pile, I'd have to say that more money would actually make the game more fun. If I had all the equipment I wanted, I could happily slay to 99 and just spend all of the profit on prayer potions and cannonballs without having to put some aside for that DFS that I want so badly. :(

You'll learn that the items you have always wanted aren't as spectacular as they seemed like when you couldn't get them once you get them. You'll learn that once you've got the money, the items are nothing special. Once you hit 100m, you're in the life of a clone. You will look like everyone else. You will train like everyone else. There is nothing special, and you will find that money was not the answer all along: it was the experience you had getting it. :)

Or at least that's what happened to me :P

Buy 3a, limited cloning :thumbup:

I wanna be a clone! I wanna wear bandos and DFS and DFH's, I wanna Barrows for sport, Slay GWD and Corp just for the fun of it. Clones rule!

I remembered a few months ago when a friend of mine quit, he tole me "Don't get too much money, it can ruin the game for you"

I kinda laughed at him as he went of on his own way. But then I realized something...

A lot of my friends who had quit, quit when they had a lot of money (100mill+ banks) they got bored and slowly left the game. I started to wonder if what he said was true.

So my question is

Can having too much money ruin part of the game for you?

I really cant say. The most amount of money I've ever had was 14mill, so for todays standars I'm still poor. So I have to still work for a lot of things.

Did your friends max out their buyable skills? Money comes and goes in this game but skills last forever.

Sounds to me like they weren't about skills though, they were about money, and once they had it they won.

I guess you could say they all got a GP cape.

Fools_Taco.png

I like to get richer and richer. Dont know why, but it give some satisfaction. However, I don't like to grind for money, so my main income is some lucky solo merching. Best drop I had is one pair of dragon claws. Next is a 2 man drag chain when it was 15m. Not one hilt in GWD. I dont kill green drags for money. I dont do ... for money. But I do watch out with my cash. I dont like to just waste it (well, I do like some barraging from time to time, but I'd hate to loose 25m just because this AGS I actually never use has fallen that much in price). I dont have a phat, full bandos, or any ss, yet I do have 800m.

Once it hits over the 5m mark I start buying skills or items.

I've got about 2.5m in cash in my bank the rest is in items (SGS tore a massive hole, but I've almost regained it all) or has been invested in skills.

I'm one of those people who tries to develop the best way of doing x activity then once I've perfected it I get bored then move onto a new challenge.

Personally having money does nothing for me, using it is where the fun is.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Until you max out the expensive skills, summoning, herblore etc, no amount of money is too much.

FFS I make about 1.5 mill (kaka I know, but I'm a poor nub :twss: ) over a weekend and I spend most of it on the said skills.

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

The game lost interest for me once I obtained 99 Runecrafting all them years ago..

It is a terrible shame when you obtain your goal(s) to find that nothing else in the game inspires you to play.

I hate quests, so yeah..

The skills I don't have 99 in are common (or were released after my 'quit').

I had the most valuable item in the game (blue p-hat) at one point.

Oh and was rank 16 crafter at one point.

What else is there to play for? However I do log on occaisionally to chat with friends.

if53pv.png

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

nope.

you just need to find the balance of using money and making money. Back about 2-3 years ago I had trouble spending my money on skills or things that would yield no return. So my cash pile sat at a constant 30m, never going up or down. I started to lose interest in the game because I wasn't spending money and enjoying the other skills, but I also felt that I had enough money.

I finally started to spend that money and the game opened up for me. I made that money back quickly because there was now a reason to make money, I was training new skills and buying new things that I wouldn't have in the past, and I was enjoying myself again.

Money buys a certain amount of freedom in this game. So the more you have the less you have to worry about "will I make that back?" Also it seems like with more money you learn how to make that into much more money. (g.e)

but yeah money is a good thing, assuming you spend it. ;)

4e0Vn.png

nope.

you just need to find the balance of using money and making money. Back about 2-3 years ago I had trouble spending my money on skills or things that would yield no return. So my cash pile sat at a constant 30m, never going up or down. I started to lose interest in the game because I wasn't spending money and enjoying the other skills, but I also felt that I had enough money.

I finally started to spend that money and the game opened up for me. I made that money back quickly because there was now a reason to make money, I was training new skills and buying new things that I wouldn't have in the past, and I was enjoying myself again.

Money buys a certain amount of freedom in this game. So the more you have the less you have to worry about "will I make that back?" Also it seems like with more money you learn how to make that into much more money. (g.e)

but yeah money is a good thing, assuming you spend it. ;)

4e0Vn.png

For me, it's also a burden to have too much money. I came back to RS a while ago, with no items at all in my bank. I sat and wondered what I should do, suddenly it struck me that I'd just go max out a money-making skill and after that I'd see. Long ago, I maxed that skill out and since then, my cashpile has been only growing, now at a steady 400 I think. I am also starting to lose interest. I've got all the best gear for everything, although I do not own a spirit shield. Also have a partyhat and a steady cashpile which could buy me a long way into a skill. But I just never buy any skills, am probably just too greedy to do that. And I am going to have to leave RS for a while anyway. So I just invested most of my money in rares now and hope that they will be 2x what they are now when I come back. I promised myself that then I will buy some skills and do something useful with the money instead of just letting it collect dust.

So I guess that having money can be a problem but you just need to man up and do something with the cashpile, something which I am not able to do. :?

For me, it's also a burden to have too much money. I came back to RS a while ago, with no items at all in my bank. I sat and wondered what I should do, suddenly it struck me that I'd just go max out a money-making skill and after that I'd see. Long ago, I maxed that skill out and since then, my cashpile has been only growing, now at a steady 400 I think. I am also starting to lose interest. I've got all the best gear for everything, although I do not own a spirit shield. Also have a partyhat and a steady cashpile which could buy me a long way into a skill. But I just never buy any skills, am probably just too greedy to do that. And I am going to have to leave RS for a while anyway. So I just invested most of my money in rares now and hope that they will be 2x what they are now when I come back. I promised myself that then I will buy some skills and do something useful with the money instead of just letting it collect dust.

So I guess that having money can be a problem but you just need to man up and do something with the cashpile, something which I am not able to do. :?

I've never been big on buying an item and keeping it to rot in my bank so it can drop in price. I've always kept my net worth in pure cash and spent it on skills as I see fit. My main spending lately has been with farming, I've never really lost money from it though because I've always planted stuff that would make me money back.

Currently I have no goals for skills other than 99 firemaking and woodcutting so I have a big cash pile with nothing to spend it on. Yes it gets boring not having an item goal, or a skill goal but I figure If I keep saving it up I'll be able to buy a better skill down the road.

My item goal went out the window when party hats went from 70m for the lowest priced hat, to 150m+. Now I'm stuck with my goal of 99 prayer and It is still overpriced in my eyes, yeah I could buy the bones but I would hate to see them drop as soon as I achieved my goal and spent every gp I had.

Now I open my bank and stare at the large sum of green digits wondering what to do with it, I guess it will just continue to collect dust and grow until I can afford what I really want. In a sense you do get bored of having alot of money, but in the other sense I can't imagine starting from 1 gp again.

Low_C.png

I've never been big on buying an item and keeping it to rot in my bank so it can drop in price. I've always kept my net worth in pure cash and spent it on skills as I see fit. My main spending lately has been with farming, I've never really lost money from it though because I've always planted stuff that would make me money back.

Currently I have no goals for skills other than 99 firemaking and woodcutting so I have a big cash pile with nothing to spend it on. Yes it gets boring not having an item goal, or a skill goal but I figure If I keep saving it up I'll be able to buy a better skill down the road.

My item goal went out the window when party hats went from 70m for the lowest priced hat, to 150m+. Now I'm stuck with my goal of 99 prayer and It is still overpriced in my eyes, yeah I could buy the bones but I would hate to see them drop as soon as I achieved my goal and spent every gp I had.

Now I open my bank and stare at the large sum of green digits wondering what to do with it, I guess it will just continue to collect dust and grow until I can afford what I really want. In a sense you do get bored of having alot of money, but in the other sense I can't imagine starting from 1 gp again.

Low_C.png

Having a ridiculous amount of money is kind of stupid, when you have enough money to buy anything, nothing is a challenge - as is the case with anything, you'll bore quickly if it's easy.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Having a ridiculous amount of money is kind of stupid, when you have enough money to buy anything, nothing is a challenge - as is the case with anything, you'll bore quickly if it's easy.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I think my bank is worth around 320m, but I spend majority of time in f2p and when I do get p2p I like to RC so I have to say that I have not much use for money. I might get 99 prayer when i finally get tired of Rcing but I doubt that will happen any time soon, but its always comforting knowing that you can buy almost any item in the game.

Up until now the game is still fun for me, I must say though the novelty of owning expensive items has definitely worn off. I bought an ags a few months ago against my better judgement and it turned to be a huge disappointment. After playing with it for 2-3 hours, it stayed untouched in bank for nearly 2 weeks before I decided to sell. The only reason I was happy with the purchase is because I made 4-5million off of it.

I think my bank is worth around 320m, but I spend majority of time in f2p and when I do get p2p I like to RC so I have to say that I have not much use for money. I might get 99 prayer when i finally get tired of Rcing but I doubt that will happen any time soon, but its always comforting knowing that you can buy almost any item in the game.

Up until now the game is still fun for me, I must say though the novelty of owning expensive items has definitely worn off. I bought an ags a few months ago against my better judgement and it turned to be a huge disappointment. After playing with it for 2-3 hours, it stayed untouched in bank for nearly 2 weeks before I decided to sell. The only reason I was happy with the purchase is because I made 4-5million off of it.