The Current Poll and the pking IS rs Myth

Sy_Accursed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people I know who PK, never look at the polls because they rarely have anything to do with PKing. So they probably aren't properly represented.
I agree 110%

The same could be said for any other group, this reason doesn't make PKers a special breed who never vote on the polls.

I'd have thought that the number of players in PVP worlds, expressed as a fraction of the total number of players online at any one time gives about the same percentage as that poll anyway. If PKing is THAT popular, PVP worlds should be overflowing with people like the busier worlds. Even before Jagex removes the wilderness, I only find more PKers concentrated in a few unofficial worlds, the wilderness in most worlds are pretty much deserted, except for a few 2-3 man team walking around looking for lone targets.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Most people I know who PK, never look at the polls because they rarely have anything to do with PKing. So they probably aren't properly represented.
I agree 110%

The same could be said for any other group, this reason doesn't make PKers a special breed who never vote on the polls.

I'd have thought that the number of players in PVP worlds, expressed as a fraction of the total number of players online at any one time gives about the same percentage as that poll anyway. If PKing is THAT popular, PVP worlds should be overflowing with people like the busier worlds. Even before Jagex removes the wilderness, I only find more PKers concentrated in a few unofficial worlds, the wilderness in most worlds are pretty much deserted, except for a few 2-3 man team walking around looking for lone targets.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I agree 110%

Must say I agree with you.

Of my entire clan and our allies I'm just about the only one who regularly votes on polls and we consist of all sorts of players, with only a minority of dedicated pkers. The majority favouring mini-games, boss monsters and skilling.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I agree 110%

Must say I agree with you.

Of my entire clan and our allies I'm just about the only one who regularly votes on polls and we consist of all sorts of players, with only a minority of dedicated pkers. The majority favouring mini-games, boss monsters and skilling.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I've always thought if they wanted LEGIT data from ALL users, they should be it "forced" that you have to vote when there is a new poll, example:

When you login, you're greeted by a new screen (poll screen) you must vote in the poll and then you'll be taken to the game, similar to the old "advertisements" on F2P game.

I've always thought if they wanted LEGIT data from ALL users, they should be it "forced" that you have to vote when there is a new poll, example:

When you login, you're greeted by a new screen (poll screen) you must vote in the poll and then you'll be taken to the game, similar to the old "advertisements" on F2P game.

Or merely put in a program with an update that records time spent in PKing worlds or time spent in intensive levelling. It's more work, but they'll get meaningful and reliable results. Forcing people to vote could only encourage people to vote without thinking, as they're just not interested in doing that kind of thing.

Although, the results seem about right to me. Non-combat skills take up far more time than combat skills, just by sheer volume rather than popularity.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Or merely put in a program with an update that records time spent in PKing worlds or time spent in intensive levelling. It's more work, but they'll get meaningful and reliable results. Forcing people to vote could only encourage people to vote without thinking, as they're just not interested in doing that kind of thing.

Although, the results seem about right to me. Non-combat skills take up far more time than combat skills, just by sheer volume rather than popularity.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Yea, like will_holmes said.. that still won't produce accurate results. People don't like being forced to do things.

I don't think any research method will ever produce 100% accurate results, unless they come out with something to directly interpret signals and memories in the brain

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Yea, like will_holmes said.. that still won't produce accurate results. People don't like being forced to do things.

I don't think any research method will ever produce 100% accurate results, unless they come out with something to directly interpret signals and memories in the brain

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

if this poll was placed before jagex originally took out wilderness PKing, or if they never removed it in the first place.... PKing would almost certainly overtake the other options and BE the leading majority.

Jagex wisely changed the overall view of the players' over time to what they wanted the game to be

if this poll was placed before jagex originally took out wilderness PKing, or if they never removed it in the first place.... PKing would almost certainly overtake the other options and BE the leading majority.

Jagex wisely changed the overall view of the players' over time to what they wanted the game to be

They did a simialr poll back before pking was removed.

Pking ranked equally lowly on the results.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

They did a simialr poll back before pking was removed.

Pking ranked equally lowly on the results.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Just because PKing is at 4%, it doesn't mean only 4% PK. A lot of people still PK, but they simply do more skilling than PKing. If you removed PKing because "it isn't a large part of RuneScape", where would you sell all those fish? Where would the market for Godswords/ claws be? Potions? Sure, PvM uses Godswords and food and potions too, but that will be repetitive really soon.

The thing about PKing is that it isn't a grind like the rest of Runescape. So thats what makes it special and important. Everything else in RS is a grind, except maybe a few minigames, but even those could become a grind if you play it for a goal (say you play SC for 99 smith/cons).

Anyways, if I were to vote, I'd vote for skilling. But pre-2007, I would definately vote PKing as that was my playing style.

Staurolite.png

Just because PKing is at 4%, it doesn't mean only 4% PK. A lot of people still PK, but they simply do more skilling than PKing. If you removed PKing because "it isn't a large part of RuneScape", where would you sell all those fish? Where would the market for Godswords/ claws be? Potions? Sure, PvM uses Godswords and food and potions too, but that will be repetitive really soon.

The thing about PKing is that it isn't a grind like the rest of Runescape. So thats what makes it special and important. Everything else in RS is a grind, except maybe a few minigames, but even those could become a grind if you play it for a goal (say you play SC for 99 smith/cons).

Anyways, if I were to vote, I'd vote for skilling. But pre-2007, I would definately vote PKing as that was my playing style.

Staurolite.png

maybe skillers participate in things like polls more than pkers.
Without a doubt. Community-oriented people in Runescape usually turn up to be skillers as opposed to PKers.

Even if this is not the case, PKing is to be considered one of Runescape's top classes or ranks alongside skilling and PvM. For this reason it is easy to say that Runescape, as it is today, would not exist without PKing. Thus it is not a myth-it never was-but perhaps a matter of perspective.

As you see throughout history, largely in real life though you could use several online examples, minorities tend to hold the largest influence. Based on this fact alone it's easy to refute your statement. While I agree with many of your posts, Paw_Claw, I disagree with your concluding statement.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

maybe skillers participate in things like polls more than pkers.
Without a doubt. Community-oriented people in Runescape usually turn up to be skillers as opposed to PKers.

Even if this is not the case, PKing is to be considered one of Runescape's top classes or ranks alongside skilling and PvM. For this reason it is easy to say that Runescape, as it is today, would not exist without PKing. Thus it is not a myth-it never was-but perhaps a matter of perspective.

As you see throughout history, largely in real life though you could use several online examples, minorities tend to hold the largest influence. Based on this fact alone it's easy to refute your statement. While I agree with many of your posts, Paw_Claw, I disagree with your concluding statement.

hopesolopatriot.jpg