Suicide

Abc1230

There's quite some ranting against "attention seekers" here. I attended an evening about working as a volunteer at a suicide help-line; what the experts told me: if someone is desperate enough to consider suicide because they feel they lack attention? For heaven's sake, give them that attention. Simply the fact that they contemplate suicide and start hurting themselves physically in order to have people notice them means they need help.

What I find most unsettling are people who threaten to commit suicide ("I swear I'll kill myself if you don't...") to blackmail others.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.

I've thought of killing myself before, but only at the end of a long string of thought about a possible Afterlife.

I needed to solve the puzzle, and really, the only way to do so was through death.

The need for some answer was an itch that desperately needed to be scratched.

Idea shot down because: a.) I have friends and family who might miss me, and b.) There are Universal secrets that need to be solved in the living world.

These fragments of thought of course came from the several rationalizations one makes to oneself on the brink of death-- self-preservation kicks in and the mind is flooded with excuses.

There can be several motives, you see. I suffered from curiosity, not depression.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Hmm.

I've thought of killing myself before, but only at the end of a long string of thought about a possible Afterlife.

I needed to solve the puzzle, and really, the only way to do so was through death.

Idea shot down because: a.) I have friends and family who might miss me, and b.) There are Universal secrets that need to be solved in the living world.

These fragments of thought of course came from the several rationalizations one makes to oneself on the brink of death-- self-preservation kicks in and the mind is flooded with excuses.

There can be several motives, you see. I suffered from curiosity, not depression.

Yes, but these are the kinds of theoretical suicide thoughts that most teenagers and young adults go through, no? You start thinking and rationalizing, but that's still a looong way off from actually taking the knife and doing it right now because you don't see any other way out of a life that has become unbearable. I doubt 'curiosity' ranks high among the reasons for suicide. In fact, bad health, relationship problems and work troubles are usually reasons given. In short, one form or another of despair or depression.

I remember the strong belief I held when I was 17 that I'd top myself off at my 30th birthday. Reason: at 30, things would only go downhill. Working all day, getting married, having children, paying off the loans, deteriorating health, watching other people and loved ones die, on and on and on until you're really old. I saw no appeal in the prospect, so I felt it would be reasonable to call it quits at 30. Now that I'm getting a bit closer to 30, I have re-evaluated my thoughts on the subject and I can now safely say that unless I get caught up in some kind of depression, I won't celebrate my 30th birthday on the ledge of a bridge.

You speak truth. About me and my malformed teenage thoughts, at least.

But I still believe that some are out there with enough scientific/theological zeal to off themselves to find an answer to death.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Hmm.

Heh, glad I'm not the only one. Although I do suffer from depression, I have thought about suicide when I was feeling fine because of the "What comes after?" question. Obviously, I didn't go through with it, but really only because there's likely no way I would be able to share the knowledge I'd gained.

Hrm, maybe I could find a House-like doctor who would kill me then bring me back, just for S&Gs.

• 1 month later...

I think I have to agree mostly with Huta. Let them do it if they really want it. It's terrible for the family etc, true, so I'd say things should be done to stop it (like aid-lines etc), but in all honesty, I dont really care. If I would have a friend who would do it and I couldn't stop him, would mean I am a very bad friend, or his problems are really this much of an issue that there is no other way.

And about the afterlife. It's pretty simple, IMO there is none. You commit suicide. It's over. Everything is over. So if you do it, you should do it because your current situation is unbearable and no change is possible. Don't do it hoping for some better afterlife, please.

I think I have to agree mostly with Huta. Let them do it if they really want it. It's terrible for the family etc, true, so I'd say things should be done to stop it (like aid-lines etc), but in all honesty, I dont really care. If I would have a friend who would do it and I couldn't stop him, would mean I am a very bad friend, or his problems are really this much of an issue that there is no other way.

And about the afterlife. It's pretty simple, IMO there is none. You commit suicide. It's over. Everything is over. So if you do it, you should do it because your current situation is unbearable and no change is possible. Don't do it hoping for some better afterlife, please.

Thats with your mindset. To a religious person, there's a dilemma, because they wonder, if they kill themselves, will they be allowed into the "good side" of it.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

That was terribly appropriate for this thread :P Do you make your own motivational poster things?

On topic:

Yeah, okay. I've been on and off suicidal for years. I honestly don't feel that I have any reason to live and I believe that nobody I know in real life cares about me. So far the only decent anti-suicide argument that I've heard is that somebody has to clean up the body. If you die in the ocean or something, I honestly don't see any problem with it.

That was terribly appropriate for this thread :P Do you make your own motivational poster things?

On topic:

Yeah, okay. I've been on and off suicidal for years. I honestly don't feel that I have any reason to live and I believe that nobody I know in real life cares about me. So far the only decent anti-suicide argument that I've heard is that somebody has to clean up the body. If you die in the ocean or something, I honestly don't see any problem with it.

:D I make a lot, but not for these forums. I only make them if I see someone I need to troll on 4chan. The one up there isn't mine.

Also, if people want to kill themselves, let them do it. If someone feels it's their responsibility to try and stop them, by all means go and pull a Jesus and do it. If I could stop them, I would, but saying that suicide is bad and people shouldn't do it is idiotic.

guido_49.png

On topic:

Yeah, but then you pollute the ocean. And that thing needs all the help it can get.

Though I'd say to live just to prove them all wrong.

On topic:

If you're actually suicidal than go seek some damn help already. Just because you think people don't care doesn't mean that they actually don't care. After all if your parents didn't give two [cabbage]s about you than why would they continue to give you a roof to live under, food , clothing, a computer (I assume you're young enough that you use theirs or they got one for you). Just because you don't want to make friends doesn't mean no one cares. After all it's hard for someone to care about another who they don't even know their name.

On topic:

Yeah, but then you pollute the ocean. And that thing needs all the help it can get.

Though I'd say to live just to prove them all wrong.

Exactly. And if you have cancer, the fish eating your body could get cancer, and kill off whole species of fish.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

This discussion again?

Alright.

I'm against suicide. It's the cowards way out of a difficult situation. Obviously there are possible situations where it would be acceptable (like to avoid a harsher death). but all these people jumping off buildings and hanging themselves because they had a bad day are pathetic.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

This discussion again?

Alright.

I'm against suicide. It's the cowards way out of a difficult situation. Obviously there are possible situations where it would be acceptable (like to avoid a harsher death). but all these people jumping off buildings and hanging themselves because they had a bad day are pathetic.

Your attitude is pathetic.

When a woman is considering getting an abortion, many people will say to her, "don't do that, your child has a right to live."

That child has a right to live, and that happens to be his right, not his burden or responsibility.

God you just opened a [developmentally delayed]edly large can of worms.

I hate when people bring up Abortion in a suicide discussion.

This discussion again?

Alright.

Who the hell does that? :lol:

Anyway, suicide is a problem often associated with people who have a mental illness, so to curb suicide we need to get serious about mental illness.

When a woman is considering getting an abortion, many people will say to her, "don't do that, your child has a right to live."

That child has a right to live, and that happens to be his right, not his burden or responsibility.

He didn't even make any parallels to suicide. His entire post was just "ABORTION RAWR".

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

He didn't even make any parallels to suicide. His entire post was just "ABORTION RAWR".

It's she, thank you, and I was actually hoping that your average OTer wouldn't need me to walk them through my rather blatant logic. :s

Some of you guys just disgust me, period. Not because of different opinions, but because some of you just see it as cowardly, when there's a lot more underlying the whole issue, or some of you just don't understand the issue here, and put ridiculous reasoning out there. Unorclan brought up a good point earlier, about the human basic instinct is to survive. Generally, one could be so mentally crushed or utterly demoralized that to them, life just isn't worth it any more, and it just overrides that basic instinct. Depression generally comes beforehand, though, and seems to be a possible factor. There's so many underlying factors with the human mind or psyche, that I don't think one could really pin down what triggers these thoughts. The thoughts, however, are a mental illness, and generally those who have those thoughts need to get all the help and treatment they can get, Most that commit suicide could have been helped in my opinion. Really though, those of you that would egg on someone to kill themselves should be punished, as it could be considered manslaughter or even murder, depending on your perspective. You egged them on, and you played a part in their death, although indirectly. I'd go so far as to even put you on the same level as someone such as Hitler.

This topic brings out some of the worst in people. I'm not [bleep]ing kidding here.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

It's she, thank you, and I was actually hoping that your average OTer wouldn't need me to walk them through my rather blatant logic. :s

I understood the logic behind it, I just think it's annoying when someone compares the two.

Some of you guys just disgust me, period. Not because of different opinions, but because some of you just see it as cowardly, when there's a lot more underlying the whole issue, or some of you just don't understand the issue here, and put ridiculous reasoning out there. Unorclan brought up a good point earlier, about the human basic instinct is to survive. Generally, one could be so mentally crushed or utterly demoralized that to them, life just isn't worth it any more, and it just overrides that basic instinct. Depression generally comes beforehand, though, and seems to be a possible factor. There's so many underlying factors with the human mind or psyche, that I don't think one could really pin down what triggers these thoughts. The thoughts, however, are a mental illness, and generally those who have those thoughts need to get all the help and treatment they can get, Most that commit suicide could have been helped in my opinion. Really though, those of you that would egg on someone to kill themselves should be punished, as it could be considered manslaughter or even murder, depending on your perspective. You egged them on, and you played a part in their death, although indirectly. I'd go so far as to even put you on the same level as someone such as Hitler.

This topic brings out some of the worst in people. I'm not [bleep]ing kidding here.

I have to agree. Some people think that just because LOL ITS THE INTERNET that nothing they say will have any actual consequences. I do think that egging someone on to commit suicide (who is actually depressed) really should be punishable. Maybe not considered manslaughter or murder, but certainly more should happen then just a slap on the wrist.

I do think that people ignoring the idea of depression as a clinical illness is annoying though. I think I may have made the connection before but just telling a clinically depressed and suicidal person to "get over it" is like telling a paraplegic to "just walk". Maybe not the best example but it really is an actual issue and it's not always because their life sucks or not.

Not touching this with a 30 metre pole. The abortion, that is.

Anyway, have no strict thoughts about suicide - if you feel that your situation is truly hopeless, it's often your only out.

I understand people's motivations behind doing it, but it should be treated as an illness.

And trust abc to bring this topic up ...