Ohh mad. so you're going for 99?

ford_landau

(waves)

Hey there hows it going fellow tip.iters,

When your at the GE or a major place don't you love overhearing others conversations?

Alot of the time it revolves around the Runescape skill they are doing at the time and usually it is revealed that they will be going for 99 in the skill.

Now I think it is interesting that most people love going straight from say, 80 cons to 99 in a couple of weeks, rather than being content with 95 cons for example.

Why is this? Well in my opinion it all started late 2006 when the 99capes came out.

Now it is part of runescape "culture" to go for a 99 skill and have a subsequent "party"

So what are yout thoughts on why people go straight for 99?

Is it because of the great guides making skills easier?

Is it because of the capes?

What are your thoughts on this, i myself am 96 cons at the moment, going for 99, reason: the room limits :P

happy scapin!

[title edit ~ Um Bong0]

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People go for 99 stats, because it is a great achievement for them. The difficulties of getting any 99's is the reason of why people respect them so much.

Either that, or they just want to max out. People in F2P and P2P have maxed out their total levels because it is something that most won't do. These people to it for respect.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Right now, I'm working towards a lot of goals - 68 summoning, 85 melees, 84+ herblore, 80+ ranged, 60+ all stats - but I'm not going for 99 in ANYTHING. Heck, the only skill I might even TRY for 99 soon is Cooking, and that's just because the cape would match my skiller outfit. (And because I'd get sick and tired of burning fish.)

a70c7.png

I had 5 level 99 skills before skill capes came out, and still only have 5 level 99s today. I just train what I like, not aim for 99s because of a skill cape. I guess it could be a good reason for some, but I don't think the capes have as much of an impact as some might think.

meleevsarcher.gif

136 Combat, 2290+ Skill Total

Most people just do it for attention. When I got my first 99 I wanted to have a cool cape so people would notice and respect me but I wanted to try something easy to see if I could handle getting 99 in a difficult skill, so I got 99 fletching. Then I got 99 range because of how useful it is. Then I got 99 magic so I could at least get a bit of closure in the game (first day I played I told my friend I would be a level 1 million 99 wizard).

I used to look at the capes as a way of showing off, now I see them as items that can sometimes help establish/reinforce a color scheme in an outfit :P

wl7w9j.png

I started going for my 99 of Defence at around level 65, about a year or two ago, i'm taking my time, doing other things in between and getting it just to laugh at people who get 99 Strength. That HAS been my reason for some time now. But the original reason, was, the cape. D:

I've decided I want to max Slayer one day, and have decided that (after 300 Vyres (I've done 200) and max Black Knight rank) that every bit of Defence exp will come from Slayer, and that's the way I like it.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I have thought about this, and made a goal for myself to hold off getting a 99 as long as I can, while getting the highest skill level possible. I don't care for the capes, my quest cape is good enough for me, so I wanted to be different :rolleyes:

2s0cxth.png

I have thought about this, and made a goal for myself to hold off getting a 99 as long as I can, while getting the highest skill level possible. I don't care for the capes, my quest cape is good enough for me, so I wanted to be different :rolleyes:

Get 98 in all skills like my friend. :thumbsup:

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

It's 100% because of skill capes.

People cared for 99s "back then" but 99s weren't "mandatory" like they are now in the eyes of the general runescape community, if you get what i'm saying.

Has it really been 3 years?

W/e.. honestly, if having 99s don't seem like a big deal to somebody anymore, then go over the XP required. imo if you actually like a skill you won't stop training it right at 13,034,431....

I like the pretty numbers. <3:

But I agree with elishot, a lot of people just train to 99 exactly, then never train that skill again. (Look at some of the lower ranked maxed out people.) I mean, you don't have to love every skill equally, but if you dislike it so strongly that you won't train it in a year or more... Well, you might have lost sight of the whole "it's supposed to be fun" perspective of the game. Not that I want to tell others how to play, but there's a fine line between goals and obsessions.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

It's not only for the capes. As for example I got 5 99s and I'm currently at 98 strength but I'm pure F2P. I got my first 99 because I liked the skill (FM) and then got 99 cooking because it didn't take much attention or time. I really liked to mage in FoG and to look like a wizard so I felt like going for 99 mage. I always enjoy training skills in RuneScape because it's calming and relaxing. And in the end I like to have reached the maximum level in a skill - it's like in any other game when you finished a seperate part of the game or even the full game. Sometimes I train skills over 99 but there are still many skills left which I can enjoy so I don't do this very often.

And I often concentrate on one skill because I like to see my progress in one skill and the climbing xps/lvls and I'm interested in how long it takes me to reach certain lvls or the final 99.

[404] Signature not found.

I like the pretty numbers. <3:

But I agree with elishot, a lot of people just train to 99 exactly, then never train that skill again. (Look at some of the lower ranked maxed out people.) I mean, you don't have to love every skill equally, but if you dislike it so strongly that you won't train it in a year or more... Well, you might have lost sight of the whole "it's supposed to be fun" perspective of the game. Not that I want to tell others how to play, but there's a fine line between goals and obsessions.

we can probably look at it from a different perspective. Both you and I come from a time long before capes, so 99s tend to have a different meaning to us, where as the new generation (within 3 years.. that's a long time now on rs, quite honestly) see the capes as the achievement and not the 99.

It can make us cringe.. but that's where my comment about "training past 99" comes into play. I feel as though training past 99 is the same concept as 99s were in the past. Back whenever, prior to skill capes, 99s were like... pointless pretty much (ignoring smithing). You would see threads where people would be "going for 95 mining" for example. now it's "expected" that somebody is going for a 99. A 99 was that "extra mile above and beyond" that people thought was cool but wasn't in the forefront of somebody's mind (FOR THE MOST PART). Like what was the point of 99 herblore or crafting other than liking the skill?

I'm talking in general here, back then there were not nearly as many maxed players compared to now so you didn't meet somebody with almost all 99s every day, so planning on "maxing out" didn't occur very often. I remember a friend of mine being like ranked 120 overall and still having skills in the 70s and 80s....

anyway... back to my point. What's the point of going past 99 other than liking the stat? It's that extra above and beyond that nobody cares about except you (for the most part, again)

It's not only for the capes. As for example I got 5 99s and I'm currently at 98 strength but I'm pure F2P. I got my first 99 because I liked the skill (FM) and then got 99 cooking because it didn't take much attention or time. I really liked to mage in FoG and to look like a wizard so I felt like going for 99 mage. I always enjoy training skills in RuneScape because it's calming and relaxing. And in the end I like to have reached the maximum level in a skill - it's like in any other game when you finished a seperate part of the game or even the full game. Sometimes I train skills over 99 but there are still many skills left which I can enjoy so I don't do this very often.

And I often concentrate on one skill because I like to see my progress in one skill and the climbing xps/lvls and I'm interested in how long it takes me to reach certain lvls or the final 99.

No it isn't always only for the capes obviously. Talking in general here, and how the capes have affected "runescape society" and the opinion of 99s as a whole. Have you ever been told that "it sucks you're f2p bc you don't get your capes?" ... I'll be kinda surprised if you haven't.

Oh and off topic but..

enjoy training skills in RuneScape because it's calming and relaxing

i will never understand when people say this. yea, the game is fun and anything fun is a stress reliever, but to me calming and relaxing is like getting a massage or sitting in the hot tub after a long day with no distractions.. Lol

Cant relate to when skillcapes weren't out because I didn't even play until a year after.. Getting 99s just came into my style of playing, I liked the challenge of getting them and so do many of my friends. If I did it for just the capes I'm pretty sure I'd have more than just Mining in my bank :twss:

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

Have you ever been told that "it sucks you're f2p bc you don't get your capes?" ... I'll be kinda surprised if you haven't.

Yeah, but most of these people don't have any skillcape and are jealous about them. Those who have a cape know it's just another piece of equipment and know it's not worth the time you've to put into a 99. And btw every pure f2p doesn't care what other people say. ;)

[404] Signature not found.

Regardless of whether the skillcapes existed or didn't exist, I would still go for the 99 Runecrafting.

Not only is it one of the lesser skills to be 99'd, but it is also a major money maker.

When I got at 91 though, I kept going to 99 for the cape, to have my other cape trimmed, and to have another 99.

Yeah, when I got 99 fletching it was just crazy, I got a 99, I had a skillcape (an item I thought was coveted by many) and I felt great. Within the week I didn't care much for the cape. I still train the skill though.

I got 99 Woodcutting for the cash, and it was a skill I can do for hours on end without getting extremely bored. It is now my second favourite skill and I plan on getting at least 25M exp in it one day. In fact, I'm going to start training it while I farm (the ivy patch is right next to the tree patch and I can plant my own magic tree just outside the Gnome Stronghold bank :)). Honestly, yes a lot of people do it for the skillcapes but I do them for the challenge. Afterwards I continue to train the skills because I won't work on a 99 I see as pointless in my eyes (basically that means I won't train the skill any further).

disturbeda.png

I like to aim for a rounded level myself. I will be getting 99 summoning and hp because those are over 95 already, but will be keeping my other combat stats at 95 because I don't think it's worth the time to train them 95-99. Same goes for most of my other skill levels, I think they're a pretty good balance between time spent and the advantage they give me. I will be getting 95 herblore soon, because it's a nice round level and I'll be able to make every useful potion again (greenmans ale for overload, I wont need many of those anyway).

I'd say that if you don't especially like a skill, don't bother with 99 but just get 85/90/95 to max it out. I do understand the people who get a 99 skill just because they have money to waste and nothing better to do though, 99 in almost any still is a pretty good achievement.

2dvjurb.png