Herb prices and Miscellania

jdelacroix

So, I did a bit of quick math, using a guide that approximates how many herbs per day you get with a fully loaded Miscellania/Etceteria kingdom. Here are the numbers for an average day's yield:

Herb----Min-----Max-----Average-Price---Value
Tarr.---10------17------13.5----292-----3942
Harr.---8-------20------14------1142----15988
Ranarr--1-------5-------3-------9835----29505
Irit----5-------13------9-------3340----30060
Avantoe-7-------11------9-------1317----11853
Kwuarm--3-------9-------6-------6579----39474
Cad.----2-------5-------3.5-----2411----8438.5
Lant.---1-------4-------2.5-----2859----7147.5
Dwarf.--1-------6-------3.5-----4660----16310

Total value in GP: 162718

With herbs at full, that costs 50k gp per day (the remaining 25k gp per day going elsewhere).

That means that herbs, as of today's prices, are an incredible 325% profit, compared to 200% on most other items. Note that this doesn't include herb seeds, which are also skyrocketing lately, and could boost profit upwards of 350%, depending on your luck.

The prices above are based on today's GE mid prices - most are still at max, so this is a bit of a conservative effort.

It doesn't take much intelligence to figure out what to do with this information :).

Thanks Dan for tip about

tag.

I bought antifire pots with the release got my herb at 4gp/xp and stockpiled some for a friend for their herblore shame they havent given me the money yet, the pots are sky rocketing i'm profiting but I dont want them to lose money over this :\

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I bought antifire pots with the release got my herb at 4gp/xp and stockpiled some for a friend for their herblore shame they havent given me the money yet, the pots are sky rocketing i'm profiting but I dont want them to lose money over this :\

Good luck. Phoenix feathers aren't tradable so they won't be used extensively for training herblore.

Good luck. Phoenix feathers aren't tradable so they won't be used extensively for training herblore.

Are any of these new potions going to be made extensively for herblore training? Aside from hardcore slayers, campers and charm hunters, I don't see them being used enough for someone to powertrain with them seeing as any potion unused is considered a loss...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Herb----Min-----Max-----Average-Price---Value
Tarr.---10------17------13.5----292-----3942
Harr.---8-------20------14------1142----15988
Ranarr--1-------5-------3-------9835----29505
Irit----5-------13------9-------3340----30060
Avantoe-7-------11------9-------1317----11853
Kwuarm--3-------9-------6-------6579----39474
Cad.----2-------5-------3.5-----2411----8438.5
Lant.---1-------4-------2.5-----2859----7147.5
Dwarf.--1-------6-------3.5-----4660----16310

Made the table more easily viewable. (Use the code tag)

This is awesome information, might try this out myself, been collecting herbs for the past week, and this'll definitely help it out.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

No, but they do give 26 thieving xp each to get. And Uzer's just a magic carpet ride away. I think you underestimate how willing people will be to pick their own.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

True - I grab a inventory of feathers each time I'm in in the desert, to use up the antifires that I have - but I'm already 99, and I can't imagine that this would be great xp anyways. Plus, I'm 99 thieving and the stupid bird stuns me roughly 33% of the time.

Are any of these new potions going to be made extensively for herblore training? Aside from hardcore slayers, campers and charm hunters, I don't see them being used enough for someone to powertrain with them seeing as any potion unused is considered a loss...

Until the day of the update, it would have been incredibly cheap xp. Magic potions at 1-1.5k per, plus a mud rune is 1.7k. XP = 250. That's 7 gp/xp - less than half the cost of brews, and 1/3 the cost of premade brews - and 40% faster than premade brews too. So yes, it's definitely worth it. I was going to use premade brews to get 200m XP, but with this update, well, we'll have to see where the market settles.

Extreme attack potions were similar - a few weeks ago they were 1k ea, avantoe 1k ea. 2k total cost, 220 xp. That's 10 gp/xp - more than the extreme magic, but still a bargain compared to brews.

I've been doing this since it came out. Haven't even collected anything, just throwing money into it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Put it this way, I have 3k feathers so far, that's 630K herb xp for little effort and for 4gp/xp for what I got them at.

It's around 500 Feathers per hour, which isnt too bad if you do 2 hours pheonix pluckin' a day

I'd happily take 46m 85-99 then 160-170M :)

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Informative. Thanks Jdela.

I haven't bothered with my kingdom for a year or two but I'll probly start hitting that up every day to make a bit of side cash.

And the magic potions were my idea.

/My post for the year.

-The Gladiatorz-

Wait for a second: you can't just say that the average is the middle between your maximum and minimum loads, first of all isn't it an equal distribution (it isn't a guass distribution, but rather a binominal distribution, which means the chance for "real high" numbers is bigger than the chance for "real small" numbers). Secondly -more importantly- it's fundamentally wrong to do this: since the yield/herb type is influenced by each other.. Meaning you can only draw conclusions when looking from the whole thing (and then look back saying: a herb from MTK has a x% chance to be tarromin, y% to be harrarlander etc).

But on the other hand this looks very, very interesting: I made myself some extensive tests about the chances for specials etc, and only the chances when farming herblore I still miss (ow and also the data on farming).

- What is your sample size?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Calculators/Miscellania

RuneWiki has a calculator that find the the value of MTK task for a while now. While it's true that the recent run-up in herb prices bumped it to the best valued task for now, raw fish is not far behind.

Too bad I cashed my two months of MTK last week.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Wait for a second: you can't just say that the average is the middle between your maximum and minimum loads, first of all isn't it an equal distribution (it isn't a guass distribution, but rather a binominal distribution, which means the chance for "real high" numbers is bigger than the chance for "real small" numbers). Secondly -more importantly- it's fundamentally wrong to do this: since the yield/herb type is influenced by each other.. Meaning you can only draw conclusions when looking from the whole thing (and then look back saying: a herb from MTK has a x% chance to be tarromin, y% to be harrarlander etc).

But on the other hand this looks very, very interesting: I made myself some extensive tests about the chances for specials etc, and only the chances when farming herblore I still miss (ow and also the data on farming).

I didn't overanalyze it - it's just simple math. I realize that chances vary very widely, and I quoted my source for the min/max (guide for managing your kingdom). Even with a standard distribution, there is still an average. It may not be exactly the average of min and max but it's going to be pretty darn close. Put it this way - my numbers would have to be off by at least 33% for me to be wrong about herbs being most profitable, and I know they're not THAT off.

Saying "gaussian distribution" or "binomial distribution" is meaningless without some variables to go into it. Both of those vary widely depending on their respective inputs. (I certainly hope you're not just throwing big words around, as I have a math degree and know exactly what they are). The only assumption I'm making is that the distribution curve is roughly symmetical around the mean, which is a very good assumption, especially if each herb has a specific % probability.

Thanks so much for posting this. :thumbup: I use my kingdom for Herbs and Tree Seeds, and find it interesting how the profits change. Personally I sell the Tree Seeds and use the Herbs, and I love the fact that the Tree Seeds/Maples/Nests almost always pay for my Herbs, meaning free exp. Can't argue with that.

Also, I have to second Chris' advice on using Gloves of Silence when picking Phoenix feathers. It helps noticable.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

I didn't overanalyze it - it's just simple math. I realize that chances vary very widely, and I quoted my source for the min/max (guide for managing your kingdom). Even with a standard distribution, there is still an average. It may not be exactly the average of min and max but it's going to be pretty darn close. Put it this way - my numbers would have to be off by at least 33% for me to be wrong about herbs being most profitable, and I know they're not THAT off.

Saying "gaussian distribution" or "binomial distribution" is meaningless without some variables to go into it. Both of those vary widely depending on their respective inputs. (I certainly hope you're not just throwing big words around, as I have a math degree and know exactly what they are). The only assumption I'm making is that the distribution curve is roughly symmetical around the mean, which is a very good assumption, especially if each herb has a specific % probability.

Who's to say that the maxes aren't outliers, though? And there might not be any minimum amount of herbs you would collect. Maybe the 13 irits was just luck, and the average is actually 6. There's really nothing that supports your conclusions. I seriously doubt that you have a math degree, because if you did, you would know that this "data" isn't reliable at all.

I'd like to end the question of whether the math is valid. My spreadsheet says this is true as well and the 99% confidence intervals have a range of one percent at most.

However, I think this really shows the impact of the herblore update. Despite the PvP nerf, herbs still are in high demand. Though I do think that we should wait a bit longer before judging it, as this may well be the result of the countless merchanters/manipulators investing in herbs.

Aurei_Animus.png

Manage your kingdom is an awesome minigame. Except that you can make such big amounts of money from it, as you prove here, it is also very fun :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak