Farmville: a gateway drug?

Myweponsg00d

I am sure that if any of you are on Facebook, you've played or at least SEEN Farmville. Basically, it is Facebook's version of an MMORPG. It is crude, and in my opinion, very boring to play. However, it seems to have a huge popularity, even among people who are not very "nerdy"; even the kind of people who would probably laugh at you for playing RS are starting to play Farmville.

My question is this: do you guys think that Farmville could introduce a wider population of people to the world of MMORPG games? Will people ever admit to themselves that it is extremely fun to "level up" a character in a virtual environment with all your friends?

What leads to Farmville's "sucess"? Is it the fact that people know RL friends who are also playing the game? Would the same people be willing to try Runescape if they knew a lot of friends were playing? I find the concept very interesting.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I think the only reason it has taken off is because it's facebook really. Much like that mafia game, and facebook poker. Some people (annoyingly it seems like millions) just crowd to any simple, outdated game they can find that is somehow linked into facebook.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think the only reason it has taken off is because it's facebook really. Much like that mafia game, and facebook poker. Some people (annoyingly it seems like millions) just crowd to any simple, outdated game they can find that is somehow linked into facebook.

This.

NotoriousPSC.png

"I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning"- Jim Morrison

Level 20 in Farmville, level 96 RS farming lol. \:D/

Yeah it is kind of pointless, but it's pretty fun I suppose. Enough to make me play it. It doesn't take much time commitment. I just run my harvester, tractor, and seeder for 1-2 minutes each at different times of the day.

It's funny, because Runescape is pretty much a gateway into real, more serious, MMOs for a lot of people. I could probably replace a lot of what you're saying in the OP, and just replace the word farmville with runescape, and facebook with "internet browser".

I think it's because they see their friends playing it and they want to be involved too. Much like RS. Most people know about RS because of their friends. Facebook is site dedicated to communicating with your friends, so when you have lots of friends on your page and you see several of them playing it, there's a pretty high chance of you being interested, hence its popularity.

It looks very boring to me though.

I cannot believe that this game actually has an option to use real money to buy stuff. Who in their right mind is gonna do that.

People in the wrong frame of mind? xD

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I played, before I got immensely bored of mass clicking...

It's only because it's on Facebook, people play it. Heck, you could have RuneScape or something else stupid and people will play it.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I hate the requests you get ¬_¬

You can ignore a certain type of notification/request for a certain application, including Farmville, which is what I've done. :P

I used to get heaps of requests >_>

I really don't see the point in playing Farmville, especially since Bejewelled is so much better. ¬___¬

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The competitiveness to be a higher level than your friends makes it fun, for me anyway. Well it used to be but most people have given up on it.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

My dad is addicted to the "game" It's pretty annoying with him having to come upstairs every 4 hours so he can harvest some [bleep]ing blackberries. It makes no sense to me why anyone likes this game. Gaining levels means nothing and doesn't put you at an advantage against lower levels. The money and objects in the game just take up space and do nothing; a bronze dagger in Runescape has more use than a million coin villa. It's a bigger clickfest than Runescape, at least with runescape you could use the levels you gained clicking for a quest or something.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I really don't see the point in playing Farmville, especially since Bejewelled is so much better. ¬___¬

Oh GOD YES. Especially blitz. I'll start playing and waste an hour without even realizing it. :rolleyes:

I've never played farmville, though. It just looked dumb to me, tbh.

I cannot believe that this game actually has an option to use real money to buy stuff. Who in their right mind is gonna do that.

Habbo Hotel. People are surprisingly stupid.

Gaining levels means nothing and doesn't put you at an advantage against lower levels. The money and objects in the game just take up space and do nothing; a bronze dagger in Runescape has more use than a million coin villa. It's a bigger clickfest than Runescape, at least with runescape you could use the levels you gained clicking for a quest or something.

You act as if playing any online game in general has a point. I don't see how anyone can get so addicted to any game.

Gaining levels means nothing and doesn't put you at an advantage against lower levels. The money and objects in the game just take up space and do nothing; a bronze dagger in Runescape has more use than a million coin villa. It's a bigger clickfest than Runescape, at least with runescape you could use the levels you gained clicking for a quest or something.

You act as if playing any online game in general has a point. I don't see how anyone can get so addicted to any game.

The difference between Farmville and an MMO like WoW or Runescape, is that with the time you put in it, you get something back. No matter how much money you have in Farmville, or how many levels you've gotten, you can't do anything that someone who has 10 coins or is only level 1 can't.

While the "reward" at the end for Runescape or WoW doesn't really have a point in the real world it sure as hell is better time spent than on Farmville.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

My Dutch teacher plays this, she's like... 40-50 years old.

I kinda find it boring, don't know what people like about it. Also, what I heard is you need to be on at a specific time to harvest your crops and all, sounds annoying.

Relating it to RS is a big step, and I doubt people playing Farmville would suddenly get interested in Runescape. That's like claiming people that like FIFA 10 will like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. They're both in the same genre, but it's a very wide genre. Also, Farmville is viewed more as a casual Facebook app then an actual game, IMO.

While the "reward" at the end for Runescape or WoW doesn't really have a point in the real world it sure as hell is better time spent than on Farmville.

Fair enough.

I have it, but I rarely play it, it just seems stupid to me...

Is that because there's a lack of sheep?

I saw people playing it and didn't bother because of the name 'Farmville' seemed slightly childish to me.

Cubefield on the other hand..

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Quite a few of my friends have played it, a few play it obsessively, I personally refuse to touch it because it looks like crap. Would rather waste my time in other ways. Seeing all the people that do actually play it, there must be at least a few thousand people that are stupid enough to spend real money on it.

sig5235ro7.jpg