Tip.it Times 18 October 2009

n_odie

A fantastic edition of the Tip.It Times is here! This week includes an in-depth suggestion of economy fixes and a reflection on the latest herblore update, both will leave you pensive!

Take a look here: Tip.it Times

You may discuss the articles here, but please specify which article you are discussing.

Also pm me for any spelling or grammar mistakes. Thanks!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 really well put toghether articles. Really enjoyed them both.

The first one was filled with awesome solutions for PvP, whilçe the second was to enlighthen JaGeX about the herblore update.

Also, interesting DyK.

Truly struggling to come up with something to argue about with such a well rounded arguement from TS Stormrage. I personally think the activty bar would do more harm than good. It's basically asking for people to go back to splashing each other, as that's a form of combat so you'd gain ep, right? Also, a lot of genuine pkers stand around, looking for the ideal fight. It'd be very frustrating for them not to be able to gain ep in that time. I know it was called a "Hail Mary" solution, but personally I'd rather Jagex took their time to come up with a proper solution that satisfied as many players as possible, than a less rounded solution that disatisfied many; wouldn't you?

TheIceMagics.png

TheIceMagics.png

Tal Shiar and Proud!

Nice articles! I've enjoyed both. Actually they were so good, I finally decided to register for the Tip.it Forums :D (which should have been done years ago tbh)

Although I'm not that much of a PKer, I agree with the mentioned sugesstions. I also had the same feelings towards the arcticle about the new potions and their removal. I have thought about the same examples (you might as well consider cooking, fishing, fletching etc. an advantage) and my heart hurts, that jagex has removed them from pvp. I might as well whine about not being able to buy a d claws, and therefore I have a disadvantage. The expensive equipments are also advantages which is a reward for having a lot of money. But! There must be untradable equipments as well, that you can't just buy.

I'm looking forward to see more and more untradable items :)

~~Acid Heart~~

To the author of the herblore article:

Those pots ARE overpowered(especially the mage and a bit the range potion as well). It's either get 95 herblore, or have no chance.

Then the solution is for Jagex to maybe reduce their power slightly in PvP only, and then for people to get 95 herblore. Of course it might be unfair that these people have an advantage, but if people didn't have advantages over other people... then what is the point of the game at all?

I'm glad people are liking the article :) :^_^:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Those pots ARE overpowered(especially the mage and a bit the range potion as well). It's either get 95 herblore, or have no chance.

How many people tha you know have 95 herblore?

Also, they spent millions raising a skill, shouldn't they have a reward? They aren't overpowered.

extreme magic kinda reintegrated magic in the combat line to make it a triangle again (even if it takes millions) and the extreme range just gave like +3 per hit.

Also, extreme str/att/def don't have that of a difference, only a +2 max hit.

There is no racional explanation to jusify their act, simple.

Then the solution is for Jagex to maybe reduce their power slightly in PvP only, and then for people to get 95 herblore. Of course it might be unfair that these people have an advantage, but if people didn't have advantages over other people... then what is the point of the game at all?

I rarely ever post..but, I had to say something about the herblore article. It seems to me the person that wrote it didn't exactly see the full extent of those potions.

Demoliboy,

A friend of mine was hitting 53 and more with a whip, not really wearing max damage gear; he was just messing around after the release and killed some gargoyles.

Normally, whips don't hit that high,even wearing stat, vesta and such, you roughly hit 49.. He was doing this without those. And the range potions..sure..maybe it added +3 hits, but to a dark bow that already packs a heavy punch, enough to kill you in one shot, the potion helps.

Maybe they might not seem over-powered to you, but if you carefully looked at it you would realize they were. 50's with a barrage? which freezes you..now..imagine someone doing that, and running to claw/dagger/maul/ags spec you, because as we all know people don't fight with just one style. They hybrid, and you wouldn't survive. It's not possible..

Anyways, great first article, the inflation is a pain. Wasn't keen to the second but, to each his own I suppose.

I rarely ever post..but, I had to say something about the herblore article. It seems to me the person that wrote it didn't exactly see the full extent of those potions.

Demoliboy,

A friend of mine was hitting 53 and more with a whip, not really wearing max damage gear; he was just messing around after the release and killed some gargoyles.

Normally, whips don't hit that high,even wearing stat, vesta and such, you roughly hit 49.. He was doing this without those. And the range potions..sure..maybe it added +3 hits, but to a dark bow that already packs a heavy punch, enough to kill you in one shot, the potion helps.

Maybe they might not seem over-powered to you, but if you carefully looked at it you would realize they were. 50's with a barrage? which freezes you..now..imagine someone doing that, and running to claw/dagger/maul/ags spec you, because as we all know people don't fight with just one style. They hybrid, and you wouldn't survive. It's not possible..

Anyways, great first article, the inflation is a pain. Wasn't keen to the second but, to each his own I suppose.

Well, I wrote it. :P

And it is difficult to see the full extent of the potions when they've only been out for a short while and were only in PvP for a very short amount of time. There was no real way for people to tell if they were going to cause real problems with PvP, not within 2 days. I highly doubt many people who PK regularly have 95 herblore, and if they do why shouldn't they get a reward? Also, if it seemed like there was a lot of people using the potions when it first came out, it was because that happens. Many people who don't PK regularly will have gone to PvP to try their potions out. I think Jagex were a bit premature to rush into removing them like they did.

Edit: Also, welcome to the Tip.It forums. :thumbup: It's always nice to have new members that can create discussion :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

The first article was good but I'm not sure about making essence F2P as well. You say it would only hurt people mining pure essence but wouldn't it also hurt F2P runecrafters. You already need a pretty decent level to break even and the price of essence would rise I bet. Not sure how great an idea that is.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

The first article is probably the best ever in Tip.It Times! Ts_Stormrage gets a GigaThumb for that icon_thumbsu.gif

I was lucky to buy a Dragon hatchet when it still was 1.6M - if I hadn't done that, it would be out of my reach now. Stupid 26k/76k'ers. :angry: I really hope Jagex does something to this.

If the prices of everything in game rises by 30%, who does that hurt?

If most of your wealth was tied up in items anyway, it doesn't hurt you.

If all you had was 50m in cash, and nothing else, sure you might be out of 30% of your GP, but it doesn't seem like you use it anyway...

Inflation only hurts low levels, but even they're not affected because they tend to make their own items, and if they sell those items, they'd get proportionately the same amount.

All I see these days are people ranting about inflation, as if they knew what they were talking about. I think sometime in the near future I'm going to try and educate a few of you, and myself, into understanding what has gone on in a historical perspective.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I liked them both. Stormrage once again with his economic stuff hits the right spot and tells it how it is.

Look forward to seeing more tipit times from both writters.

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

If all you had was 50m in cash, and nothing else, sure you might be out of 30% of your GP, but it doesn't seem like you use it anyway...

Inflation only hurts low levels, but even they're not affected because they tend to make their own items, and if they sell those items, they'd get proportionately the same amount.

All I see these days are people ranting about inflation, as if they knew what they were talking about. I think sometime in the near future I'm going to try and educate a few of you, and myself, into understanding what has gone on in a historical perspective.

Ok, great quote there...

Ever considered items like logs, bowstrings and nature runes are bound by certain artificially set alch values? Some items are goign to be left behind...

And your argument suggests that everyone should spend their GP and buy items, so inflation doesn't hurt them, but you fail to consider that 99% of all transactions these days are players buying fro other players... SOMEONE is going to have to hold the GP because when you buy items, the gold doesnt just dissapear in the GE... Considering that, with ever inflating prices, people are scrambling to buy-buy-buy (its fricken Wall Street on a bad day), pushing prices up further and faster...

Obviously you did not read my article all the way to the end, otherwise you would have known that a bit of inflation is normal... Prices jumping to 150% their original value in 4 months is not...

You sir, are;

- shortsighted for not seeing the grand picture of it all, this goes both to failing to see the grand economy as a whole, as well as ditching on new players, the one thing Runescape relies on.

- greedy for insisting that the rise of your valued items is normal, and should continue to do so.

- ignorant for thinking that I do not grasp the concept of economics, nor know what I am talking about.

- and finally, hereby challenged to write an article for the Times on why you consider the current goings on to be normal...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Ok, great quote there...

Ever considered items like logs, bowstrings and nature runes are bound by certain artificially set alch values? Some items are goign to be left behind...

And your argument suggests that everyone should spend their GP and buy items, so inflation doesn't hurt them, but you fail to consider that 99% of all transactions these days are players buying fro other players... SOMEONE is going to have to hold the GP because when you buy items, the gold doesnt just dissapear in the GE... Considering that, with ever inflating prices, people are scrambling to buy-buy-buy (its fricken Wall Street on a bad day), pushing prices up further and faster...

Obviously you did not read my article all the way to the end, otherwise you would have known that a bit of inflation is normal... Prices jumping to 150% their original value in 4 months is not...

You sir, are;

- shortsighted for not seeing the grand picture of it all, this goes both to failing to see the grand economy as a whole, as well as ditching on new players, the one thing Runescape relies on.

- greedy for insisting that the rise of your valued items is normal, and should continue to do so.

- ignorant for thinking that I do not grasp the concept of economics, nor know what I am talking about.

- and finally, hereby challenged to write an article for the Times on why you consider the current goings on to be normal...

What about F2P RCers!!!!!! They would be hurt agree?

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I had a long, insightful post writen up but hit the backspace button on the wrong tab and boom! gone. Here is a sum up of it.

Good article, even better then usual and that's saying alot.

As a F2P there are not many items to sink my money into long term, and even if there was I am not the type to hoard 1M pure ess just for the sake of it sitting there for months.

I may add more to this again later but it is time for lunch and my stomach is begging for a nice roast beef sandwich.

Oh, and fat_klutz, the current price of regular ess is at 75 gp each. F2P RCing is already toast. Makes me glad I got 75 before it jumped super high.

Ok, great quote there...

You sir, are;

Nicely written Stormrage!

The PvP potion was pretty good to. Though, I think that PvP pots should be left out of dangerous PvP. They should be allowed in safe mini games, because they are already unbalanced, that's what makes them fun!

Prism_Swords.png

Great read once again - actually one of the best Tip.It Times I've ever read!(And yes, I've read them all)

Especially the one on the economics was interesting, because it actually pointed out some solutions to the EP-farming problem.

Reiskade.png

~Council of Northern Gods~

Mod Fetzki is a [puncture] that's all I really want to say. All through out the personal shop thread Jagex made he dismissed everyone, every concern, hell his only real response was in effect "suck it up and work harder". As many of us told Fetzki this is a game it's suppose to be fun not made into busy work. The loss of fun factor alone should have killed personalized shops. With people like Fetzki on the team I can see how any thoughts or concerns about the players would fall of deaf ears

Both articles were brilliant with some really well thought out points.

One thing I'd like to point out is that is that less than 15,000 people have the ability to make the new high level potions. How many of those people do you actually think go pking on a regular bases? If you're going to remove high level potions from PvP than why not Godswords, Dragon Claws, and other expensive equipment? They all take tons of cash to get and pack some insane power as well. At least allowing the potions in the safe minigames would be one step forward.

My thoughts were basically summed up in each article already. I really liked Proposal 1 from the first article and I hope Jagex consider implementing something like this to PvP.

A pleasure to read... To be honest, I definitely agree with the author regarding PvP and its effects on our Economy :(! I just wish Jagex can do something to reverse this big inflation as everything is skyrocketing so much...

Overall, terrific author :)! Great job guys :wink:!

=Bomb=