What do you think of a Runescape TD?

magzar

Which goes back to my original suggestion that it would have to feel like Runescape to be successful. Look at MA. It seems like no one really ENJOYS playing it. I think MA is the worst minigame in the history of Runescape. I don't want another Funorb reject, not even in the form of a TD.

I would really love to play a Runescape TD, I just don't want MA #2 with different rules.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which goes back to my original suggestion that it would have to feel like Runescape to be successful. Look at MA. It seems like no one really ENJOYS playing it. I think MA is the worst minigame in the history of Runescape. I don't want another Funorb reject, not even in the form of a TD.

I would really love to play a Runescape TD, I just don't want MA #2 with different rules.

Yeh i agree MA was a total letdown. That's why I think a cooperative game between skillers and combat players would be awesome. Having to gather your own resources rather than receiving them automatically by killing creeps makes it feel a lot more like runescape to me. Then making the game require use of skills to build more powerful towers and whatnot makes it different than any other TD out there.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Yeh i agree MA was a total letdown. That's why I think a cooperative game between skillers and combat players would be awesome. Having to gather your own resources rather than receiving them automatically by killing creeps makes it feel a lot more like runescape to me. Then making the game require use of skills to build more powerful towers and whatnot makes it different than any other TD out there.

Yeah... If you haven't played BA then at least look into the different Penance monsters.

I'm simply saying that I'd rather an existing situation be converted for your TD than a new, unrelated, random area pop up somewhere (as was the exact case with Soul Wars). You could even try to create it from Stealing Creation elements, as Stealing Creation's combat-skiller theme sounds like one that would appear in your TD.

If an older minigame's story was reused as a base for your new minigame then both could benefit, as the old minigame would be revitalized and perhaps undergo a graphical update, and the new minigame would already have some player familiarity with it.

By the way if you couldn't tell: Support. :P

2dgucz6.png

Actually, a future update to Barbarian Assault was confirmed in the last Chaos Elemental letter. For those of you who don't remember it, or who didn't look at it:

board.jpg

The upper-left note with the peanuts is talking about Barbarian Assault. Notice the peanut mentions Rellekka, the answer to the riddle is "It was a-salted," and the initials "C.C." stand for Commander Connad, the guy in charge of the minigame.

A few good reasons why this RuneScape TD minigame won't be popular.

One, I tried Frozen Throne's TD, from allying with friends to fighting against each other, in 3-4 player games. A good VS game can last easily over 30 minutes, and sometimes one player dies too early before the rest. Now what? There has to be some sort of time limit implemented unless Jagex's servers can handle tons of stalemate games at one go, and at the same time do something about early deaths. For one thing, I've never seen time limit as a deciding wining factor for TDs.

Two, TD is only fun when you're playing it FOR FUN. A game or two with friends on a weekend is great, and you put effort into winning without having to consider things like "Ima gonna quit early coz I is losing". But RuneScape players demand some sort of physical rewards from every minigame. This alone kills the fun of it all. And then there's the idea of how your skill levels may come into play.

for VS games:

Long game + small number of players per round + level advantage/disadvantage + desire for reward = One great formula for people to whine about how unfair the

game is and start quitting rounds early while looking for loopholes for 50/50 games.

The above already kills the possiblity of VS games between players.

Three, if you're talking about team games against enemy NPCs, then one good game can last even longer. In order for TD to even have any in-depth gameplay, there needs to be tons of waves of enemies, and a variety of weaknesses for each wave, and hence a variety of tower types. If not, it would just be a grindfest, clear 10 waves and get your points, then repeat the strategy over and over. I can even foresee a Tip.It guide on what tower to build where to ensure a quick victory.

On a side note, Barbarian Assault is somewhat similar to TD, though I've never tried it. Hate the game with its weird monster design that doesn't fit in anywhere on RuneScape and silly strategy like 'using eggs to kill the queen'. A simple Saradomin forces/Zamorak horde-kind of enemy waves would have been much better.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

One, I tried Frozen Throne's TD, from allying with friends to fighting against each other, in 3-4 player games. A good VS game can last easily over 30 minutes, and sometimes one player dies too early before the rest. Now what? There has to be some sort of time limit implemented unless Jagex's servers can handle tons of stalemate games at one go, and at the same time do something about early deaths. For one thing, I've never seen time limit as a deciding wining factor for TDs.

Two, TD is only fun when you're playing it FOR FUN. A game or two with friends on a weekend is great, and you put effort into winning without having to consider things like "Ima gonna quit early coz I is losing". But RuneScape players demand some sort of physical rewards from every minigame. This alone kills the fun of it all. And then there's the idea of how your skill levels may come into play.

for VS games:

Long game + small number of players per round + level advantage/disadvantage + desire for reward = One great formula for people to whine about how unfair the

game is and start quitting rounds early while looking for loopholes for 50/50 games.

Three, if you're talking about team games against enemy NPCs, then one good game can last even longer. In order for TD to even have any in-depth gameplay, there needs to be tons of waves of enemies, and a variety of weaknesses for each wave, and hence a variety of tower types. If not, it would just be a grindfest, clear 10 waves and get your points, then repeat the strategy over and over. I can even foresee a Tip.It guide on what tower to build where to ensure a quick victory.

On a side note, Barbarian Assault is somewhat similar to TD, though I've never tried it. Hate the game with its weird monster design that doesn't fit in anywhere on RuneScape and silly strategy like 'using eggs to kill the queen'. A simple Saradomin forces/Zamorak horde-kind of enemy waves would have been much better.

Time out, Frozen Throne's TD? What are you talking about. The only Custom TD map I know of that Blizzard made was Skibi's Tower Defense.

Anyway, I do see how time limits could become an issue. I think that's probably fairly easy to work around though.

As far as having one strategy for every game, I had mentioned randomizing which enemies spawn and what their weaknesses are. The levels of the enemies would stay the same, while the weaknesses would shift. Perhaps a warning would appear just before each wave to tell you what the weakness of the next wave would be. Or even mixed weakness waves. For instance each wave a random group of enemies spawns with varying weaknesses.

To be honest the idea of playing for fun vs. playing for rewards exists in every part of runescape. Both minigames and the game itself are that way. Some players do things because they enjoy it, while others do it just to achieve the reward for completing it.

As far as level advantage goes, that could be handled just like any other game with different game levels for different skill levels. Obviously if a large number of skills were used it would have to be done differently than most other minigames. For instance at the beginning of the game you choose to play as either a combat player or skiller. Now for combat it would just use your combat level as usual. However for skillers, it would take the relevant skills, total them up, and that is how they would be grouped. So another problem solved.

The 50/50 thing is one reason I would rather see it be a Tower Defense, that a Tower War. In a TD everyone would be in it to win it, rather that winning half and losing half so that everyone gets the rewards.

To address quitters, most TD's reduce the amount of spawned creeps for leavers. I would assume the same would be relevant in a Runescape TD.

Oh and I have seen a TD before where it was a circle and every so often a new wave would spawn and the goal was to keep the creep count below a certain number for 30 minutes to win. That would actually be a pretty decent way for a Runescape TD to work in my opinion. It would certainly solve the problem of games lasting too long. The only problem there is finding a reason for the creeps to be running in a big circle.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

For instance at the beginning of the game you choose to play as either a combat player or skiller.

This particular mechanic is why Barb Assulat Fails and Stealing creation does not. Players should be able to freely switch between skilling and combat.

Thats the wondeful thing about runescape, your not stuck being "just a skiller" or "just a warrior" if you dont want to be. So assiging classes would be a no-no, as it really "forces" people to pick a class they might not like if not enough people sign up for that class at the start of the game.

dawnsigblue-3.png

for VS games:

Time out, Frozen Throne's TD? What are you talking about. The only Custom TD map I know of that Blizzard made was Skibi's Tower Defense.

He's referring to player made TD games, of which there are plenty, many of which have variations.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

for VS games:

He's referring to player made TD games, of which there are plenty, many of which have variations.

Yep, all sorts of TD ideas there, you name it, they have it. Towers in the form of structures or monsters. Created by summoners or builders, elemental alignment that you have to invest points in. Waves that attack your towers. Defend a path, or a central area.

I've never seen a tower defence that spawns random waves though, since the purpose and replay-value of TDs is to modify your tactics whenever you die at a certain level, until you can surpass it.

I think Plants VS Zombies would be more suitable for Jagex to create a RuneScape version, considering the limitation in graphics and grid movement. If you haven't seen it before, here's a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYvRnJoLvI0&feature=fvsr

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775