The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

For discussion of any and all things related to ice hockey! Do you play it, what position? How long? Your favorite NHL team? Who's going to win the Stanley Cup this season? All of that great stuff.

So... to start I suppose.

I recently (well 3 months ago...) got these skates, or close enough:

[spoiler=Rbk 1K Hockey Skates]thumb-reebok-rbk-1k-youth-ice-hockey-skates-07.jpg

Dunno if they're great or anything (yeah they're not goalie skates but I'm cheap and haven't had them ever anyway), I needed new ones, they had them at the store, and they fit, and were even on clearance. Haven't gotten them properly sharpened yet, hoping to do so before my season starts next week. I've played goalie in a smallish rec league for the past 3 years now, I love playing goalie and enjoy skating a lot. I love the Detroit Red Wings, Jimmy Howard and Chris Osgood are epic.

I'm a Leafs fan, play left defense, and just bought a new stick - Sherwood... I don't touch anything by Nike, and really miss Bauer.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Go Oilers and Wild. That being said, the wild are really struggling on the road early, which kinda sucks.

Oilers are hosting colorado tonight, and colorado has gotten off to an amazing start, I hope the Oilers and put a stop to it! WOO!

Staurolite.png

Los Diablos. All the way. Sure Marty looks shaky. So what? We're perfect on the road and going strong, and before you know it, SO 104 will come.

I can talk youth hockey but maybe later.

My predictions:

East final:

Habs v. Flyers

East winner:

Flyers

West final:

Avs v. Hawks

West winner:

Hawks

Cup:

Flyers

Conn Smythe:

Pronger

Vezina:

Marty

forgot other trophies, way too many.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Can anyone guess my favorite hockey team?

The Ducks? Everybody loves the Ducks!

I'm a Leafs fan. Despite their start to the season, I see good things in the future. Hopefully Kessel will find a good center when he comes back.

As for playing, I have never played ICE hockey because of my legs.

And predictions... Pittsburgh wins the East (again) and Calgary the West. Pittsburgh repeats in 7 games (even though I would rather Calgary win it). Kipper gets the Conn Smythe in the loss.

I don't play any more, but when I did, I was a left wing or defence.

I tried goalie once, and let in 14 goals in a half hour game....good times.

The leafs are definitely my favorite team, but I haven't had the same love for the NHL since the lockout and rarely watch hockey any more.

And of course everyone knows the leafs are a lost cause.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

i might change my western prediction and go with Colorado. they've had a great start.

as for youth hockey:

goalie

modmarkl.jpg

I really have to admit that I hate watching hockey - or any sports for that matter - but I love playing the game. Ice hockey, roller hockey, road hockey, basically, if it involes hitting a ball into a net with a stick, I'm down for it.

I play defense for my team, and always have. Every so often I've tried a stint playing winger, but I really found that I much more enjoy defense, not to mention I'm just plain better at it.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Pittsburgh Penguins are :thumbup:

I never really "had" a team, until a few years ago, I started watching the Penguins. My uncle mainly got me into watching them because he also likes them. Now, Stanley Cup Champions, they're looking to repeat :cool:

Besides the Penguins, I also have an obligatory liking towards the Ducks. I love them because of the cartoon show and the Disney movies... haha. I used to have Mighty Duck action figures and Mighty Duck toys from the cartoon show. Oh, how I loved it.

1icyna.png

I never really "had" a team, until a few years ago, I started watching the Penguins. My uncle mainly got me into watching them because he also likes them. Now, Stanley Cup Champions, they're looking to repeat :cool:

Besides the Penguins, I also have an obligatory liking towards the Ducks. I love them because of the cartoon show and the Disney movies... haha. I used to have Mighty Duck action figures and Mighty Duck toys from the cartoon show. Oh, how I loved it.

Can anyone guess my favorite hockey team?

Detroit? BOOOO :cool:

NO and NO'er! :angry:

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

I was a left winger up until mid-high school, when everyone got big and I stayed small. Now I just play in parks outside during winter, rarely at my local arena since I hate the people that play there. My wrists shots have always been feared, I can do this thing on the ice where I lay my stick down, pick it up high at the tip and bend it until I hear it cracking then use that force and my wrist to drive the puck wherever I need it to go. Stuff like this wouldn't go down in league games, which is why I only enjoy playing with friends.

Also, Habs just lost 6-1 vs Pengs... :wall:

hiccup.png

I really have to admit that I hate watching hockey - or any sports for that matter - but I love playing the game. Ice hockey, roller hockey, road hockey, basically, if it involes hitting a ball into a net with a stick, I'm down for it.

I play defense for my team, and always have. Every so often I've tried a stint playing winger, but I really found that I much more enjoy defense, not to mention I'm just plain better at it.

I love playing road and floor. I'm a pretty good forward in road, score a lot of goals on my friends and cousin. But I play defence in floor. My gym teacher couldn't get around me in grade 11. I was best in the class on de.

I loved that show. Although the only things I liked about the movies were Goldberg and Fulton.

penguins suck, Crosby is a [bleep]

modmarkl.jpg

My favourite sport to watch on TV, but I no longer watch the NHL as much as I used to anymore.

I used to watch every game I could, but 2 things changed that. The rule changes (and proposed rule changes... bigger nets, anyone?) and my work schedule. I now watch only my team's games, that I can get and am home for, and any playoff games involving at least 1 team I like.

bigger nets won't get passed. it's either make the goalie gear smaller or make the nets bigger. can't be both.

modmarkl.jpg

bigger nets won't get passed. it's either make the goalie gear smaller or make the nets bigger. can't be both.

I know, but the idea of it actually being considered is ridiculous. Especially with some of the proposed new looks. The main thing I don't like anymore is they are trying to increase the number of goals. There were plenty of goals before. There were just these few teams who didn't give up many.

At least the NHL hasn't adopted the rule where fights need to be stopped when a helmet comes off, though.

Leafs finally won :D

Apparently there is talk of Paul Maurice losing his job in Carolina, as they've lost 11 straight. That man really hasn't had much luck in the NHL :(

polvCwJ.gif

Apparently there is talk of Paul Maurice losing his job in Carolina, as they've lost 11 straight. That man really hasn't had much luck in the NHL :(

They've been the better team in at least their last 6 games, too. They just didn't get the bounces. 2 wins are better than 1! Detroit visits tonight, though... We'll see what happens there.

They've been the better team in at least their last 6 games, too. They just didn't get the bounces. 2 wins are better than 1! Detroit visits tonight, though... We'll see what happens there.

Hmm I haven't been following the season too closely thus far but from what I've heard Detriot hasn't been anything special, however they have been doing well over the past few games. Is this true?

And then Toronto plays Minnesota, hopefully they can beat them which would move them to #28 :P

polvCwJ.gif

Hmm I haven't been following the season too closely thus far but from what I've heard Detriot hasn't been anything special, however they have been doing well over the past few games. Is this true?

And then Toronto plays Minnesota, hopefully they can beat them which would move them to #28 :P

It is true that Detroit has started poorly, but they are a team that can turn it around in a hurry. As for recent performance, the only game I remember was their win over the Sharks.

I think Maurice will lose his job. but it's not to sat he didn't do a good job. the canes went far the past 2 playoffs when no one expected them to.

modmarkl.jpg