Tip.it Times 1 November 2009

Mirror

Ever since the introduction of the Grand Exchange there has been items where demand has surpassed supply by great margins.

Started reading the second article by Master_Smither, Unbuyables, and I couldn't finish it after I read the first sentence. When writing an article you should probably at least make sure the first sentence is grammatically correct.

People can make mistakes you know, we're all human and capable of error. One tiny error word in the article is hardly a reflection of the article's value.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Ever since the introduction of the Grand Exchange there has been items where demand has surpassed supply by great margins.

Started reading the second article by Master_Smither, Unbuyables, and I couldn't finish it after I read the first sentence. When writing an article you should probably at least make sure the first sentence is grammatically correct.

People can make mistakes you know, we're all human and capable of error. One tiny error word in the article is hardly a reflection of the article's value.

If you're a writer for a popular fan website or any respectable website, you should proofread your article. Grammar matters alot in any writing, and many people are reluctant to continue reading when an article has obvious mistakes. I don't know what Tip.it's standard is, but for most websites that wouldn't be acceptable.

smallsigr.jpg

If you're a writer for a popular fan website or any respectable website, you should proofread your article. Grammar matters alot in any writing, and many people are reluctant to continue reading when an article has obvious mistakes. I don't know what Tip.it's standard is, but for most websites that wouldn't be acceptable.

It wasn't that obvious of a mistake, I know that for a fact because I was the one who read over the article and did the editing. So if you're going to blame someone for a small error, then blame me. Small slips like that are easy to miss because the mind skips over them. It's like when people use the same word twice and you miss it because your brain skips over them and reads it correctly.

It is also more courteous to PM Mirrorforced any mistakes you spot in the article, as is mentioned in the first post :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

It wasn't that obvious of a mistake, I know that for a fact because I was the one who read over the article and did the editing. So if you're going to blame someone for a small error, then blame me. Small slips like that are easy to miss because the mind skips over them. It's like when people use the same word twice and you miss it because your brain skips over them and reads it correctly.

It wasn't a 'small slip', it was a major error in writing, and besides, that was just the mistake in the first sentence. There are multiple run-on sentences and grammar mistakes throughout the article. If the mechanics of the writing distract a reader from the point the article was trying to make, it is a bad article. I'm sorry, but the "we're not in English class" argument isn't going to cut it here. He just sucks at writing and shouldn't be publishing articles with that lack of ability. And if you're the one that's proofreading, I think the staff needs someone else that will actually catch mistakes.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It wasn't a 'small slip', it was a major error in writing, and besides, that was just the mistake in the first sentence. There are multiple run-on sentences and grammar mistakes throughout the article. If the mechanics of the writing distract a reader from the point the article was trying to make, it is a bad article. I'm sorry, but the "we're not in English class" argument isn't going to cut it here. He just sucks at writing and shouldn't be publishing articles with that lack of ability. And if you're the one that's proofreading, I think the staff needs someone else that will actually catch mistakes.

If you have a complaint that needs addressing, please PM Mirrorforced and he will deal with any issues you might have with the Editorial Panel. If you just want to rant, please keep it to yourself. :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Oh right, I forgot. There's no such thing as negativity allowed in response to anything put out by Tip.It. My bad.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Oh right, I forgot. There's no such thing as negativity allowed in response to anything put out by Tip.It. My bad.

Go troll somewhere else loser.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

First article was pretty decent but when I started reading the second....god. I couldn't even get through three paragraphs before closing my browser. It sounded like it was the first paper of a freshman in high school. My head hurts.

Ahh the power of exaggeration. If you saw some errors, fix them and send the fixed version to mirror. He will change it if he agrees on them and that will be so. If your so good at editing people's works then he might even offer you a position on the staff for that sole purpose. It's a lot easier when you can sit here on the forums and exaggerate over something though so maybe this is what your best at.

Negative comments are fine; however, your just sitting on these forums and ranting about it when you could be spending that time editing all four of this weeks articles and sending them to Mirror, while making a good impression of yourself.

The fact that you are/were an infamous troll around these forums that supposedly quit the forums ages ago ruins all your credibility. I could point out that you misspelled a simple word such as "a lot" in your posts. If you think you can do better by all means do so and show off your true talents by submitting a guest article or sending in some edits.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

First article was pretty decent but when I started reading the second....god. I couldn't even get through three paragraphs before closing my browser. It sounded like it was the first paper of a freshman in high school. My head hurts.

Ahh the power of exaggeration. If you saw some errors, fix them and send the fixed version to mirror. He will change it if he agrees on them and that will be so. If your so good at editing people's works then he might even offer you a position on the staff for that sole purpose. It's a lot easier when you can sit here on the forums and exaggerate over something though so maybe this is what your best at.

Negative comments are fine; however, your just sitting on these forums and ranting about it when you could be spending that time editing all four of this weeks articles and sending them to Mirror, while making a good impression of yourself.

The fact that you are/were an infamous troll around these forums that supposedly quit the forums ages ago ruins all your credibility. I could point out that you misspelled a simple word such as "a lot" in your posts. If you think you can do better by all means do so and show off your true talents by submitting a guest article or sending in some edits.

I'm not going to sit here and further discuss this, as there really isn't much more to be said. Spend more time editing rather than ranting/trolling because you claim to be good at it.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I'm not going to sit here and further discuss this, as there really isn't much more to be said. Spend more time editing rather than ranting/trolling because you claim to be good at it.

There is one big difference that you fail to mention. I am not a Tip. it writer nor do I want to be, and you are. Therefore, I hold you to a certain standard which you didn't fulfill in this article. Either way you put it this many mistakes in any article is not acceptable in any organized writing, even in high school.

According to this forum's definition of troll, I guess I am since it considers discussing any flaws with anything involving Tip.it trolling. Anything not clearly positive is trolling.

smallsigr.jpg

There's no exaggeration in what I said and I'm not putting myself up for editing yours or anyone's articles for the Tip.It Times. I enjoy reading articles, just not bad ones. I swear, anytime anyone criticizes anything around here, people get so up in arms. Just because I criticize yours or anyone's work, does not mean that I have to somehow take your position in writing, nor Racheya's position in editing. Take it with a grain of salt and write something better next week.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Okay let's stop this right here.

The right thing to do would be to PM any errors to Mirrorforced, there is no need to bring them up here just to spark a reaction. I don't want to see any more arguments over the grammar of Master_Smither's article, my editing, or anything along those sorts of lines. If you really want to help improve the Tip.It Times then you can do it in more constructive ways than helping to cause an argument.

Okay? No more.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Noone here is trolling. We are discussing articles which involves discussing how an article has a lot of errors which make it hard to read and hard to talk about the positives or discuss the actual content.

Errr.. Mispelling.

That hypocritical remark aside, I feel that when one criticizes another person they should be held to the standards they accept. Even if you are not willing to take MS' position, you have accepted your position as a poster on the forums, and I would hope that all members of these forums at least attempt to act on good will.

Such spelling and grammar mistakes can be distracting; hence they should be reported to Mirrorforced.

I feel the writing this week was generally excellent, and will not be replying again to the chain of comments about Master Smither.

~Deathmath

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Well I had a post with a lot of quotes, but it was a bit offensive, so I'm just going to say this instead:

If you can read well enough the grammatical errors shouldn't stop you from being able to understand and comprehend the article. Especially if your going English teacher over everybody, because an English teacher should be able to read and understand something with a fair amount of errors. Furthermore, this is meant to be a discussion of the content of the article rather then a discussion of any and all grammatical errors.

Maybe Tipit could be more specific about that in the future?

Do you have any thoughts or comments about this week's articles? Want to discuss the content of these articles with your fellow RuneScapers? We invite you to discuss them in this forum topic.

Do you have any thoughts or comments about this week's articles? Want to discuss the grammatical errors of these articles with your fellow RuneScapers? We invite you to discuss them in this forum topic.

Problem solved.

P.S. With all the griping about grammar, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the grammatical error in the 2nd sentence of that. There should be a "Do you" in front of that or something.

P.P.S. Even if there isn't actually a grammatical error there, it's still surprising considering the grammar griping I've seen here in the past.

EDIT: Sorry for the offtopicness of this post...

But I got another idea. Instead of saying we AREN'T in English class, why don't we say we ARE in English class; one that has a good teacher. Therefore, when you point out any errors, you do it in a non-condescending constructive-criticism way.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Got a problem? Talk to me. Else you should move onto the next topic and post there.

And about not posting anything negative about Tip.it or it's staff, feel free to send any and all criticism to me. I will gladly listen to your feedback and implement what is needed to be done to fix the problems within the team. You can't say that is being snuffed out now, can you?

So the next person to post about grammatical problems on this thread will be dealt with, now please post about the content of the articles. Thank you.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

In reply to Racheya's article:

I wish I could have gone to the conference. If Jagex even lands foot in American soil, I will spend the $$$ and see them, even if it is just for a few minutes. I hope that the bloom lighting happens soon. I am glad that Jagex took care of RWT. I remember when you could see 8-12 simular names like "imabot001" through "imabot010" in woodcutting or mining.

I Google Jagex and search for anything relating to them on a daily basis. Thank God for google alerts. That takes care of some of my lurking.

Do you happen to have some pictures of the event?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

This in response to the gold standard,

I think the real problem is not the 76king (It is anoying and not how i like to play) but it is the fact that pkers are getting cash rewards. Most legitimate pkers are lucky to break even when they are pking when you consider all the costs, so i wouldn't say that pkers have an advantage anyways, unless a pker is very skilled. Well then i think they deserve it.

Many of the items that people pay for are eventually used up or removed from the game in some way, but gold does not for the most part (exept for a few situations)If they switch the pking rewards back to items (not rares) i think it would solve most of the problem.

plank make ftw :)