What did you do today?

Ouchy

So, I had originally chosen a one credit elective. It was League Bowling and I had a few friends doing it with me. Then, shit came up, and they all dropped it. So, I decided to sign up for another one credit physical education elective titled Fitness and Conditioning. So we'll see how that goes. Twice a week at 7:00am for an hour. I already missed the first class because it was today at 7:00am and I hadn't been registered for it at the time.

Hopefully that'll help me stay fit during the semester.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

• 4 months later...

Triple post!

So this is more of a question for you guys. I didn't feel like I should start a new topic for this, so I'll just ask it here.

Over Christmas break, my sleep schedule was really messed up. I would go to bed at around 2am or 3am and wake up at around 10am or 11am. Now that school has started, I have a morning fitness class on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7am. The past two classes, I've felt very nauseous during the workout. Specifically, after doing a portion of the workout and getting a water break or something. The first day, we did a quick and easy workout and I felt fine during it (a little tired but that's because I'm out of shape). At the end, when we started the post-workout stretch, I suddenly felt very sick (to the point where I thought I would throw up). The second day, we did a longer workout. We started off which a bunch of pushups, situps, jumping jacks, lunges, skiers, squats, etc. I felt alright while doing these, but then, once we stopped to take a water break before doing the next circuit, the nausea hit me really hard, and I felt like I was going to throw up again. I was thinking about not doing the next circuit (which would be very embarrassing for me since it wasn't difficult and I had never had this issue last semester), I decided to try and do it. Once I started doing the circuit, the nausea lessened. It was still there, enough to make me very slow at doing the workout.

So my question involves whether or not my body adjusting to my new activity schedule likely explains my nausea during workouts. If so, I'm hoping it will go away as I get myself used to waking up early again. Again, I didn't have this issue last semester, and it's the same class, so it has me slightly worried.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

You're probably just dehydrated or out of shape or something. The only time I've vomited from working out was when I was pushing myself beyond my limits. Usually from running faster/longer than I'm used to. I don't think I've ever felt nauseous from lifting. Though I did get a bloody nose from benching too much once :D

Edit: Actually in hindsight, I remember the first few times I'd do back workouts I got nauseous since they're such a major muscle group and I wasn't used to the exercises.

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

I doubt I'm dehydrated. That's one thing I made sure of when I got back to school. I've been drinking water like crazy (and not just right before workouts - all the time). Maybe it is because I'm out of shape, but I've never experienced something like this in my life. And I've been out of shape plenty of times.

I just find it weird that the nausea goes away for the most part if I keep working out. Maybe that's because my brain is occupied more with the workout than with the fact that I'm feeling sick. And I guess I also have a terrible tendency to psyche myself out so that a little nausea turns into a full blown "i'm definitely going to throw up" feeling. Meh, I'm going to try and go to the gym every day at the same time as my class to get my body adjusted faster. I just really hate lagging behind in workouts. Part of that is because there are other dudes in the class who I know I should be finishing before. But hey, I'm competitive when it comes to stuff like that.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

• 4 months later...

My last post was a while ago, but I found out it was because I was eating an early dinner and not eating anything before the workout (my stomach is kinda weak when it comes to working out after eating). So I had absolutely no energy in my body aside from my fat and muscles. And when you're doing heavy cardio, you get really light-headed, heh.

I've decided to bulk up a little, especially on my chest because i have practically no muscle showing there. I hate the idea of putting on weight, especially if it means putting on fat in other areas in order to bulk up my chest (I like to see my abs, okay). But I'm hoping that after I get some muscle mass on my chest, I can start a good diet and do some lighter lifting to get rid of the fat I put on.

This means I'll have to force myself to eat lots of potatoes, pasta, and other carbs.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

^ If you wanna put muscle on there is 0 reason for you to put fat on and although gaining muscle does increase BMR needing more calorie intake to maintain you absolutely do not want to do so by piling on the carbs.

If you need to increase calorie intake to sustain/gain muscle you should focus on increase your protein intake and foods that are nutritious, but light on carbs like vegetables and fruits and meats.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 1 month later...

Been lifting alone in the early morning instead with my friend late at night. Ironically, I think benching without having him (or anyone) spot me makes me push myself harder. The psychology of "this is going to be really painful if I fail this rep" vs "my friend will just lift the weight for me if I fail this rep" seems to be helping my gains. It's like some Batman shit, trying to escape from that prison without the rope to save his life.

Man I can't wait to sue the gym after I recklessly maim myself

77yLQy8.png

• 5 months later...

Back to focusing on my original long-term fitness goal: double bodyweight bench press.

It was really hard getting back into things to start out, since I felt like shit for being so weak compared to when I was in my prime in college. I've just been doing 5 sets of 5 on bench every 4 days and that's all I do. Easier to remain focused and maintain willpower/motivation that way. Once I get my strength back up to where I want it to be, I'll start focusing on squats or deads while I just maintain my bench strength. I think part of the reason why I plateaued and lost my drive last summer when I tried to get back into it was because I was focusing on too many fitness goals at once. Better to just focus on one thing at a time.

Anyways I got back into it about 6 weeks ago and could only do 5x5 with 115 lbs. I was doing 5x5 with ~170 back in the day so that's my mid-term goal right now. What's really nice though is that I haven't plateaued or failed to complete a 5x5 yet. Every 4 days I add 5 lbs to my 5x5 and I complete it without failure. Just finished doing 5x5 with 145 today. At this pace I'll be back to 170 (which is ~200lbs 1 rep max) pretty soon. Then I imagine it'll take at least half a year just to go from a 200 lb 1 rep max to a 250 lb double bodyweight 1 rep max.

As far as the psychology of motivation/willpower goes, I've basically just been forcing myself to remember why I got into lifting in the first place, every time I'm about to go to the gym, every time I'm about to start my set, and every time I feel like I might not be able to finish my rep. Pretty much any time I start questioning my strength or drive, I immediately just force myself to snap out of it and get back to focusing on making progress.

Unlike in the past, though, I've also been lifting by myself instead of w/ my gym buddy. I don't let anybody spot me either. The fear of not being able to finish my rep and having to roll a heavy-ass barbell off my chest gives me a little extra strength when I'm struggling to finish a set. In other words, I have no safety net to fall back on. Kind of like Batman in The Dark Knight Rises when he jumps out of the prison without the rope :lol:

77yLQy8.png

Actually, been to the gym a few times now this past week.

Also, threw 50 tons in 25 kg bags in the last 2 days, so my fingers are numb and I am exhausted to no end right now...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Went to the gym with my flatmate for the first time. He is a bit of a training-holic, so he made me a plan and helped me through with it properly.

Needless to say, he made me push a lot harder than I would have done alone.

I don't think I can get out of my bed the day after tomorrow.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Nah, the worst, at least for me comes on the morning 2 days after the training.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

• 2 weeks later...

Up to sets of 165 now. Still weigh 120 lbs, not sure why I haven't gone back up to 125 yet. Oh well.

Did 5 sets of 3 reps w/ 165 tonight. Could've done 5 reps on my first set probably, but I didn't want to risk it since I wasn't being spotted. Next time I'll attempt 5 sets of 4-5 reps with 165. I'm about as strong as I was back in college now; theoretical 1 rep max is 1.6x my bodyweight. I need to be able to do 5 reps of ~200 to be strong enough to bench 2x

77yLQy8.png

• 4 months later...

Was in my hometown for a wedding last week, and my lifting buddy was in town for it too so we lifted together for the first time in years. Was nice having my old spotter back. Maxed my bench for the first time since April 2012. Benched 205, it felt light, so I tried 215 since I knew I could bench 210 but wasn't sure about 215. Barely failed. So basically my max right now is 210 lbs @ 130 lbs bodyweight. Did 5x5 with 175 today. So close, yet so far away to getting double my bodyweight.

Kinda upsetting how much strength I lost after graduation-- was benching 200 @ 125 in april '12. Currently been lifting consistently again since november '14. Was at 5x5 with 115 back then so I guess that's about +60 lbs in ~7 months. I got back to my old level of strength in around february but my form was terrible so I lowered the weights again to readjust my form... it's pretty much a constant cycle of hitting a new record w/ terrible form, lowering the weights and working back up to the record w/ perfect form, then hitting a new record but with terrible form again and repeating over and over while strength improves very slowly.

77yLQy8.png

• 1 month later...