Big barrows analysis

Wachtwoord

I pray mage Dharock. Pray melee Karils, and pray range Ahrims.

No wonder you only managed 2-3 chests :P

I'll be trying it myself kinda soon I guess, will be using fire surge.

Yeah, as I said...my method is really weird. Im not strong enough to surive not praying aganist karil or ahrims :-(

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, as I said...my method is really weird. Im not strong enough to surive not praying aganist karil or ahrims :-(

Nah you just got the wrong prayers there lol.

2dvjurb.png

Did 2 more trips today and with the setup I can now easily do 8 chests (food left), so I love it even more.

Also, I checked whether overload lasted long enough and mostly it did, with a few exceptions where it wouldn't spawn but at the chest and where the chest was far away. One trip was exceptionally fast and I got back out of the dungeon and still the overload was working, so that was a chest of under 5 min.

Not trying to start any spam, but what that means is that...

I pray aganist Dhrock and mage him.

I pray aganist Karils and melee him

I pray aganist ahrism and range him.

Lol

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Not trying to start any spam, but what that means is that...

I pray aganist Dhrock and mage him.

I pray aganist Karils and melee him

I pray aganist ahrism and range him.

Lol

Aah like that. Never mind my post then :P

2dvjurb.png

I also want to point out that barrows is really convenient to get to compared to most monster hunting. Organizing an arma or bandos run can be a huge pain, and barrows doesn't suffer that issue.

A small tip for getting KC: don't kill any monsters until you reach the puzzle door. You inevitably have to kill some monsters at the puzzle door anyway, so you might as well get some KC there and when you stop getting attacked solve the puzzle.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

On a world with a decent ping, you can easily open the door in between two attacks after some practice.

I could never do this for the life of me. I always had to wait till I was clear before I could open a door <_<

And to sseli, you are compleatly right. No big group is need, just mabey a small clan that you go to barrows with and thats all you need :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Euphonium/10.

[/hide]

For KC, what I do is I kill all the monsters that I spawn, except for skeletons. Because I hate the skeletons. Then when I get into the chest room I kill all of the monsters in there, including skeletons. This usually gets me at least 10 KC, sometimes more sometimes less.

wl7w9j.png

• 3 weeks later...

Found a pretty much perfect setup for me, reqs will be kinda out of reach for most people but if you got the stats for overload etc your should try it :P

2woiob6.png

Works with normal spirit shield too.

13 chests at just over 6 mins/chest, exactly 6 mins if you don't count getting to barrows.

Only problem is having to tank dharok if you get him as your chest brother, since sipping a dose of prayer potion means you can do 1 run less.

Also, could probably do with 1 less brew.

Sorry for the bump lol.

2dvjurb.png

Found a pretty much perfect setup for me, reqs will be kinda out of reach for most people but if you got the stats for overload etc your should try it :P

2woiob6.png

13 chests at just over 6 mins/chest, exactly 6 mins if you don't count getting to barrows.

Only problem is having to tank dharok if you get him as your chest brother, since sipping a dose of prayer potion means you can do 1 run less.

Sorry for the bump lol.

Isnt that a really expensive setup? And tbh where does ur loot go for the first 5 chests go?

I just use Veracs and monks and do a trip every 7-10Mins afking the stuff costs me around 3k a trip with pots...

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

2woiob6.png

Sorry for the bump lol.

Isnt that a really expensive setup? And tbh where does ur loot go for the first 5 chests go?

I just use Veracs and monks and do a trip every 7-10Mins afking the stuff costs me around 3k a trip with pots...

Idk how expensive it is really, if you factor in herb xp etc it costs about 18k/run in pots and 28k in runes. No idea what other methods cost, but since I want mage xp that would be another reason to choose this over verac. Besides, surge hits about as high as verac but with near 100% accuracy.

Loot from first run goes where the overload (1) is, bolt racks can be equipped and if I get both chaos and mind runes I just eat a pizza.

A 12 chest run is a little more practical though, don't have to waste a space on a (1) potion and since 6 brews is too many anyway (5 is enough) you then have 4 spaces for pizzas (5 if you bring 1 less spec restore, they aren't really needed).

2dvjurb.png

No offense, but as someone who has done a lot of measurements and experimentation with respect to Barrows, I find the 6 minutes/chest claim a bit suspect. If you get unlucky with door positioning it can take 2-3 minutes just to run in and find the chest and run back out again, so I think that's really pushing it if you are in fact counting everything and accounting for less-than-ideal positioning of the chest.

Maybe you don't get any kill count aside from the brothers? Even then that's really pushing it.

I also have never seen the attraction of using ancients at Barrows. It just strikes me as a gigantic hassle and waste of money. (Yes you get XP, but not much per hour, and there are far better and/or more fun ways of doing it, IMO).

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

No offense, but as someone who has done a lot of measurements and experimentation with respect to Barrows, I find the 6 minutes/chest claim a bit suspect. If you get unlucky with door positioning it can take 2-3 minutes just to run in and find the chest and run back out again, so I think that's really pushing it if you are in fact counting everything and accounting for less-than-ideal positioning of the chest.

Maybe you don't get any kill count aside from the brothers? Even then that's really pushing it.

I also have never seen the attraction of using ancients at Barrows. It just strikes me as a gigantic hassle and waste of money. (Yes you get XP, but not much per hour, and there are far better and/or more fun ways of doing it, IMO).

For people w/ low def who don't want to spend money on prayer potions, barrage/burst then sidestepping to use salamander isn't a terrible choice

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

You only take 1 damage per kill (when they spawn), its quicker then most other methods, its cheaper then any other maging method and you can pretty much camp there with full guthans until you run out of p pots.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I'll try it again -- always willing to be proven wrong. I've somewhat soured on the lizard tanking method of late, it seems to take longer than it used to for some reason. Last time I tried ancients though, it didn't work nearly as well as I expected...

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Okay, I tried it. :) Maybe I'm missing something, but I still wasn't impressed.

It was fast, but not 6 minutes per chest fast (which I definitely don't believe now, sorry.) Doesn't strike me as particularly faster than not using Ancients.

Yes, you can avoid using prayer potions, but the runes cost more than that anyway. It's also very "fiddly" with the constant need to change equipment, and turning autocast off and on all the time is a real nuisance.

Finally, I found myself having to wait for my Magic level to restore enough to cast, after taking my overloads, which was a bummer.

signew2.png

Yes, you can avoid using prayer potions, but the runes cost more than that anyway. It's also very "fiddly" with the constant need to change equipment, and turning autocast off and on all the time is a real nuisance.

When you say you constantly changed equipment what do you mean?

You wear the same outfit for all the melee brothers, just switch weapons for karil and just switch weapon, top and bottoms for ahrim.

If your using the ice and side step method you just select cast, not auto cast (its the left click option on ancients anyway). Freeze -> side step -> attack for x number of turns, if hes still alive cast one more spell.

Its not much faster then most methods, but its slightly quicker.

If you want sheer speed CoG is the quickest method, its 39's with overloads/extremes. Which is 3 to 5 hitting the brothers. Then switch to DDS specs for karils and ahrim. If there was any way to do a constant 6 minute run that would be the method.

When I did the Temple of Sen, I was extremely close to a 5/6 minute run using a mixture of veracs and ahrims.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Yeah I should say I was straight Ancienting here, not even using the lizard. I figured that would be even faster, but you're right that using it only once you can avoid the autocast. In my experience though a single freeze doesn't last long enough to keep them immobile long enough to kill them.

Still not entirely convinced by this anyway. Even a single cast is half the cost of a prayer potion dose, and the method I use I need only one dose per run. And you still have to deal with Ahrim and Karil here, which are the toughest after Dharok anyway.

If you only take into account the time to do the run, and you are teleing out afterwards, sure, 6 minutes is doable. But not in the long run if doing multiple chests per trip.

signew2.png

I timed 1:13 for doing 12 chests (which is a lot more practical than the 13 chests you can do with the inv I posted above), starting at the moment I teleported to my house and ending when I tabbed out after chest 12. I used the windows clock so it might have been 13.5 minutes or something, but you get the point.

My method is basically what bedman described, except I use dds instead of claws. I'll do another trip tomorrow or something, but I'll guarantee you I can get under 1:15 again.

Also, I calculated this way to be about 28k mage xp and 14k melee xp/hour, killing crypt rats for kc whenever they spawn (bloodworms too if not enough crypt rats spawn). Once I was able to kill two karils with the same overload dose (well it ran out halfway through the 2nd), but that was due to some very lucky specs and the shortest tunnel route possible.

Finally, I found myself having to wait for my Magic level to restore enough to cast, after taking my overloads, which was a bummer.

You can solve that by only brewing in the tunnels/before karil.

I spec karil with turmoil/soul split on, usually this ends the fight with me having more hp than before the fight. After that dharok, and if the hits don't suck you then have 5-20 ppoints left to use for soul split while killing verac. Usually about 60-70 hp after this. Ahrim tends to get in some hits and does like 30 damage, which conveniently places you at 30-40 hp which is perfect if you don't want the 50 hp from overload to go to waste. If it's in the low 30's you can drink 1 brew dose and have your stats restored before you even enter the tunnels. When you arrive in the tunnel, attack the first thing you see and then start looking for doors. Stuff like that all adds up, 6 mins/run is definitely possible.

2dvjurb.png

I timed 1:13 for doing 12 chests (which is a lot more practical than the 13 chests you can do with the inv I posted above), starting at the moment I teleported to my house and ending when I tabbed out after chest 12. I used the windows clock so it might have been 13.5 minutes or something, but you get the point.

Well, I'm certainly not going to call you a liar. Maybe you're just a lot faster at this than I am, or maybe you got lucky in terms of how far you had to run to the chests. But I have never been able to get anywhere near that speed on 12 chests in a row, and I don't know anyone else who has either. So something is definitely amiss.

It would be helpful if you could explain more clearly exactly what your sequence is on each chest.. what order you to the brothers in, when you take your pots, etc.

signew2.png

Well, I'm certainly not going to call you a liar. Maybe you're just a lot faster at this than I am, or maybe you got lucky in terms of how far you had to run to the chests. But I have never been able to get anywhere near that speed on 12 chests in a row, and I don't know anyone else who has either. So something is definitely amiss.

It would be helpful if you could explain more clearly exactly what your sequence is on each chest.. what order you to the brothers in, when you take your pots, etc.

Oookay.

Start on karil's hill, sip overload/ext prayer/spec rest to 75% spec bar if needed. Kill karil with turmoil/soul split and dds specs, using a max of 3 dds specs (usually wont need more) and whip if he isn't dead by then. If karil is tunnel brother, kill ahrim instead using the same method. Run to dharok, changing to mage equipment while running and setting surge to autocast. Enter tomb, kill dharok with melee pray. Try to exit as fast as you can after killing any brother, can make a 6-12 ppoint drain difference. Usually some prayer left now, use that for soul split while maging verac. Next are torag/guthan, just straightforward maging them and they wont do much damage. Next is ahrim, take a dose of spec restore if you don't have 75% spec bar or more. Kill ahrim, whip when out of dds specs. To tunnel, equip melee gear and kill crypt rats whenever you are able to attack them while advancing through the tunnels towards the chest, up to 6 kc. Can kill bloodworms too if you can't find enough crypt rats. In the maze, never use the outer tunnels unless you're forced to. Find the chest door, solve the puzzle in between hits and finish off whatever was hitting you since you probably auto retaliated like half it's health anyway. Open chest, kill brother in same way as you would normally kill him in the tomb, except ahrim/karil will have to be done without prayer. Dharok can usually be safespotted if he spawns before you get to chest, if he can't be safespotted you can either risk it or sip a dose of ppot (you have one spare dose for this occasion). Loot chest, run out of tunnels while brewing up/changing gear etc. Somewhere in the tunnels overload will run out, just make sure you don't heal over 55 hp or something before it does. Get to karil's hill and start over.

2dvjurb.png

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize you were using a super prayer dose on each run, but I should have given they are in your inventory. (I was doing my tests using no prayer pots at all.) Also:

Try to exit as fast as you can after killing any brother, can make a 6-12 ppoint drain difference.

When I first started doing Barrows, there seemed to be some annoying bug where if you clicked the stairs while the dude was doing his melodrama death routine, sometimes it wouldn't count the kill. Is that fixed now?

Usually some prayer left now, use that for soul split while maging verac.

Okay so you are just maging all the way then, no salamander. Gotcha.

Next is ahrim, take a dose of spec restore if you don't have 75% spec bar or more. Kill ahrim, whip when out of dds specs.

He can do quite a bit of damage on you though.

Open chest, kill brother in same way as you would normally kill him in the tomb, except ahrim/karil will have to be done without prayer. Dharok can usually be safespotted if he spawns before you get to chest, if he can't be safespotted you can either risk it or sip a dose of ppot (you have one spare dose for this occasion). Loot chest, run out of tunnels while brewing up/changing gear etc. Somewhere in the tunnels overload will run out, just make sure you don't heal over 55 hp or something before it does. Get to karil's hill and start over.

This is the part I find a bit suspect. Trying to deal with Dharok in the tunnels using safespots and whatnot even once can really throw off your average time. Ahrim and Karil I usually deal with in the tunnels using my SGS, but they can be pretty tough as well -- especially if you are running around half dead waiting for the overload to wear off. :) And if using DDS or claws for spec the SGS is useless.

Edit: NVM, I realize you are just using the staff for the bonus, not actually on Ancients.

signew2.png