Champions' Challenge - more than meets the eye?

Jard_Y_Dooku

Yeah sure there's nothing wrong with cosmetic stuff like that, but a helm that serves all 3 styles and is better than any other in their single field? Well maybe not.

So basically, you want the reward for doing 500+ hours of playing, to be no better than anything else in game? What gives people who have done 30 hours of GWD or TD's to buy the best gear, any right over those who do this to have the best gear?

The gear or reward given should be better than anything in the game currently, but as i say, it won't be a game-breaker, just slightly better as a reward, but not a forced task.

Why do you stubbornly refuse to comprehend that making something that is better than everything else is inherently game breaking, and inherently forces people to aim for it? It really is pretty self-explanatory.

The reason I feel there shouldn't be such a reward for it is that I feel that the minigame shouldn't work like this in the first place, no single minigame should require 500 hours, (or indeed the 1200+ hours predicted in the future), of playing time to complete, for obvious reasons.

A reward that is slightly better than what is currently out there would not be a game-breaker, and only those who are incredibly stupid or have too much time on their hands would waste 500 hours getting it. It would purely be a reward for those who are doing the challenge to complete it, not going for it for the reward.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sure there's nothing wrong with cosmetic stuff like that, but a helm that serves all 3 styles and is better than any other in their single field? Well maybe not.

So basically, you want the reward for doing 500+ hours of playing, to be no better than anything else in game? What gives people who have done 30 hours of GWD or TD's to buy the best gear, any right over those who do this to have the best gear?

The gear or reward given should be better than anything in the game currently, but as i say, it won't be a game-breaker, just slightly better as a reward, but not a forced task.

Why do you stubbornly refuse to comprehend that making something that is better than everything else is inherently game breaking, and inherently forces people to aim for it? It really is pretty self-explanatory.

The reason I feel there shouldn't be such a reward for it is that I feel that the minigame shouldn't work like this in the first place, no single minigame should require 500 hours, (or indeed the 1200+ hours predicted in the future), of playing time to complete, for obvious reasons.

A reward that is slightly better than what is currently out there would not be a game-breaker, and only those who are incredibly stupid or have too much time on their hands would waste 500 hours getting it. It would purely be a reward for those who are doing the challenge to complete it, not going for it for the reward.

So why reward it.......? And especially why reward it with an item that's the best in the game.....? Thanks for shooting yourself in the foot there, I know I've shot it for you enough but now I'm pretty sure I've won.

Polnar.png

I don't see how i shot myself in the foot there at all :unsure:

The reward I said was only an example of an item that would be a nice little reward for those who want to do the champions challenge, but would not make people who have no interest in the mini-game strive to get it.

It is a bonus for completing it, but would not make a load of idiotic people with no interest in the challenge waste their time doing it.,

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

So why reward it.......? And especially why reward it with an item that's the best in the game.....? Thanks for shooting yourself in the foot there, I know I've shot it for you enough but now I'm pretty sure I've won.

Polnar, you seem more interested in proving him wrong and provoking argument then actually contributing to the conversation....

I agree that the minigame should have some reward, and I think that it should be something good enough to give the Champion of Champions a reward, but not incentive to have people spend hours and hours on a minigame JUST for the reward.

I think an EXP reward would be best. Say 5, 1,000,000 exp lamps for skills over level 90. Even if you put that in Runecrafting it would still be pretty balanced. 500 hours for 5 million exp is not very good so it will not encourage the masses to play the minigame, and it's not a game breaking item that "forces" people to play the minigame. This still rewards those who have completed the minigame though.

Prism_Swords.png

3 champions killed. i honestly havent put the effort in, in the past. recently got a scroll after about 5k killed. working on another and so far it's over 9000 and nothing. makes me want to 1 hit the champion once i get it.

jagex has already commented on the official forums in the recent updates faq and that answers what they think about the rewards. it's too hard for it to be given a good reward basically.

"We really didnt want to make the scrolls easier to get as we feel that there is plenty of room in our game for hard to achieve cosmetic rewards.

The content isnt designed to be something you can buy or earn, its just a random drop chance. Dont forget, the XP rewards are pretty small as its supposed to be a cool looking benefit, not a must have."

i dont kill low level monsters normally and depending on my mood, it's either an interesting challenge or a huge annoyance.

if they give it a good reward, they would nerf the drop rate. if that's what you want? but i doubt they'll do that anytime soon. they actually made the challenge harder by requiring slayer levels with the spectre.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

I disagree, a minigame lasting 400-500 hours should not reward the player with yet another 'super item.' I just feel that the Champions' Challenge barely even qualifies as a minigame, as the game itself is only the fight with the Champions and the search for Challgenges merely the act of crossing fingers and blindly hoping. You literally may as well Jagex to reward players with some kind of super powered item for slaughtering 50,000+ cows, ankous, ice warriors etc. There is no skill whatsoever involved in the gaining of the challenges and it is madness to suggest deliberately forcing players through hundreds of hours of tedium for a reward. There must be a better way.

So what are you saying that people that click away on green dragons to make money have no skill? and that when they save up for that god sword? which is in fact a "super Item". Or better yet people that merchant ( not offence to you people that merchant honestly).

I think that the Champions' Challenge rewards are severely under rated. I don't agree with a free 99 but I wouldn't stop at a million exp which is a good portion. Maybe not collect it all at once, but right now that rewards are really stupid for just a imp that follows you around although it is a improvement.....

Yeah I can't spell get over it!

groeschen1.png

Think it should vary xp around 50k slayer xp for each champion. All of them maybe 4 lamps of 100k each in a combat skill including slayer as an option.

Think it should unlock poh options from each champion and defeating all of them. Possibly an emote for killing one scroll champion.

-

However I dont think they wish to give any significant reward and overall champion scrolls arnt worth doing unless you just wanna do it for something different. ..Or those imp things.

The reward I said was only an example of an item that would be a nice little reward for those who want to do the champions challenge, but would not make people who have no interest in the mini-game strive to get it.

It is a bonus for completing it, but would not make a load of idiotic people with no interest in the challenge waste their time doing it.,

I'd be happy with 50k xp lamps, or 100k xp lamps even. (30 Bosses x 100k xp = 3m xp). Even 3m xp as a reward is acceptable, all things considered.

I would very much rather have the above than an item. The problem with items (unless they are 100% cosmetic) is that people feel they need to get them to be the best of the best. Look at Mobilizing Armies, the rings there give very small bonuses, not ground breaking at all. Yet it has made so much an impact on the game, people play MA even though they dislike it to get the rewards. They even made clans to rush through to get the rewards. 25 hours of gameplay just for a ring that boosts +4.

Cosmetic rewards is good, but do we really need anything other than the imp? The imp shows off your number of Champions killed, what more do you need than that? How would a cape be any more flashy than a banner holder?

I do however agree with you 100% on the engraving part.

After completing all the champions, having your name engraved on a statue inside the hall which everyone can see would be more than eternal glory to any player.

So things that should change/stay the same:

1) More Champions

2) XP Lamps for each champion killed. (Around 20-100k xp)

3) Player Engraved Statue at the hall of champions where everyone can see you beat them all.

4) Level generated Champions. Depending on the Champion they may be 50% to 400% your combat level.

5) Imp follows you around and can display all your champions defeated

dawnsigblue-3.png

I'd be happy with 50k xp lamps, or 100k xp lamps even. (30 Bosses x 100k xp = 3m xp). Even 3m xp as a reward is acceptable, all things considered.

I would very much rather have the above than an item. The problem with items (unless they are 100% cosmetic) is that people feel they need to get them to be the best of the best. Look at Mobilizing Armies, the rings there give very small bonuses, not ground breaking at all. Yet it has made so much an impact on the game, people play MA even though they dislike it to get the rewards. They even made clans to rush through to get the rewards. 25 hours of gameplay just for a ring that boosts +4.

Cosmetic rewards is good, but do we really need anything other than the imp? The imp shows off your number of Champions killed, what more do you need than that? How would a cape be any more flashy than a banner holder?

After completing all the champions, having your name engraved on a statue inside the hall which everyone can see would be more than eternal glory to any player.

1) More Champions

3) Player Engraved Statue at the hall of champions where everyone can see you beat them all.

4) Level generated Champions. Depending on the Champion they may be 50% to 400% your combat level.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Polnar.png

They could maybe make the CoC repeatable with increasing difficulty per each successful defeat of the champion (thuogh of course you would have to get another scroll :mrgreen: )

Example:

Kill Goblin -> get champ scroll -> Go defeat champion and get reward -> you kill another goblin -> another champ scroll -> Champion is stronger + another rule involved? + Better reward of defeated (Exp-wise)

Reward of increasingly hard champion = Possibly better looking banners or banners held by different creatures?

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

They could maybe make the CoC repeatable with increasing difficulty per each successful defeat of the champion (thuogh of course you would have to get another scroll :mrgreen: )

Example:

Kill Goblin -> get champ scroll -> Go defeat champion and get reward -> you kill another goblin -> another champ scroll -> Champion is stronger + another rule involved? + Better reward of defeated (Exp-wise)

Reward of increasingly hard champion = Possibly better looking banners or banners held by different creatures?

That's if you think doubling/trippling/quadrupling the length of it so that it lasts into the thousands of hours, or hundreds of days, is a good idea :ohnoes:

Polnar.png

Personally, I don't think it should have a really big reward, because anything proportional in power to the effort required to complete the theoretical number of challenges would destroy a large section of the player experience of the game. Instead, have something really amazing in cosmetic terms, but that should be it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

1) More Champions

I completely agree. I think the rewards should be minimal at best. It's just like CW armor and Chompy hats; they're practically worthless, but they show that you've spent hundreds of hours playing a game that you (most likely) love.

The ONE thing that I want from the Champion's Challenge, more than anything, is extremely difficult fights. I think it's sad that most of the champions can be defeated so easily. The Champions of Champions in particular should be kicked up a few notches (BAM!).

A free 99 stat or great armor/weapons would make people feel forced to collect the scrolls. Like Brianite said, MA gives a slight boost to the best rings in the game, and people play that game for hours and hours trying to get them, even if they hate playing it. I know I do that.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Even if someone were lucky like me getting THIRTY scrolls, that's 20 MILLION experience, which is MORE than a level 99 skill. And chances are it will take people more kills than it's taken me so far. So... you'll practically get enough experience for two level 99 skills completing Champions' Challenge (the final version). So I think as a reward for killing all the Champions (all 30), a free level 99 skill would be quite fair. And it wouldn't get you 13 million XP, the skill would be boosted to level 99. If your skill was at 13 million XP (level 98), you'd only get 34,041 XP.

So yes, I think that would be an interesting idea for a reward. A reward for the truly elite. Your ideas?

1. Elite warriors? There are Warriors, archers and wizards, use the correct term. I am just saying.

2. From my view as one following "The way of the Warrior"/"Warrior's path" a free 99 is useless. What we are interested in however is:

- Weapon

- Armour

- Special abilities (attacks?)

- New cave only for Warriors (Not archers or wizards)

A free 99 is very silly reward, it's easy to get 99s.

Jagex only gives good rewards for high level requirements is when it is quest related or directly related to the skill.

IE

While Guthix Sleeps -> Tormented Demons

91 Runecrafting -> double nats

99 smithing -> 99 smithing

but when you stray away from those two points, the rewards tend to fail.

99 in any skill = a skill cape with boosted def and prayer

hardly ground breaking

the new Elite diary that requires 93 summoning (7.2 mil xp in one of the rarer skills)

gives you a measly 200k xp and some extra teleports

Lets assume that the ratio of reward xp to earned xp scaled like the elite diary

and lets assume that you would earn 20 mil xp on the way to full champ challenges

what does that come out to? 500k xp if you only consider the summoning xp? 300k if you toss in smithing too, and still ignore fletching and the rest

Jagex only gives good rewards when it is directly related to a skill, they never do it for minigames/diaries

There already was a dozen people on the TIP flaming over how the 200k xp reward was too much, and how the 93 summoning requirement was too high. I can only imagine what would happen if the reward was a 13 mil xp lamp

Naaxi.png

Well, I think a 99 skill would be a pretty reasonable reward for having spent months and months endlessly grinding away killing tens of thousands, perhaps over a hundred thousand, monsters. But I don't think an experience reward would make much sense here. It's the champions guild, I'm not sure how they would be able to bestow mastery in skills like slayer, or whatever else. More than likely the reward will be a sword of some sort, perhaps a one handed sword with stats just below the godsword, and the speed of a longsword.

That would make the champions challenge actually worth doing, especially if you're someone who already has maxed total. Well, actually people with maxed total could hold the lamp until a new skill came out, and then instantly get 99 in it (or after they have trained to some prerequisite level to use the reward). I don't think that would be very fair, honestly...

Fixed that for you.

I don't get it, what did you fix?

Ooo aren't you just so clever with "I don't get it, what did you fix?" What a joke.

I am not being clever, i am serious. So what did he fix, tell me then?

Fixed that for you.

I don't get it, what did you fix?

Ooo aren't you just so clever with "I don't get it, what did you fix?" What a joke.

I am not being clever, i am serious. So what did he fix, tell me then?

I know you're just trying to drag me into an argument about whether or not getting 99s is difficult, so I'll step away from that. Just give yourself a pat on the back for having such genius of wit, and for bigging yourself up in front of everyone by calling 99s easy.

Polnar.png

I know you're just trying to drag me into an argument about whether or not getting 99s is difficult, so I'll step away from that. Just give yourself a pat on the back for having such genius of wit, and for bigging yourself up in front of everyone by calling 99s easy.

The joke is on you, i was not trying anything. Instead of "argument" which you thought i was trying to create, i was just saying how i feel about 99s. Those who say 99s are hard is foolish.

The joke is on you, i was not trying anything. Instead of "argument" which you thought i was trying to create, i was just saying how i feel about 99s. Those who say 99s are hard is foolish.

If you say that it's foolish to suggest that having the time to spend on gaining 99s is easy then yeah. Personally I don't have all that much time, so 99s for me are gained over long periods. I accept that the repeated clicking that is required to attain EXP is technically easy, but going through it day in day out so as to reach your goal is probably a little bit more difficult.

Polnar.png