Champions' Challenge - more than meets the eye?

Jard_Y_Dooku

I know you're just trying to drag me into an argument about whether or not getting 99s is difficult, so I'll step away from that. Just give yourself a pat on the back for having such genius of wit, and for bigging yourself up in front of everyone by calling 99s easy.

The joke is on you, i was not trying anything. Instead of "argument" which you thought i was trying to create, i was just saying how i feel about 99s. Those who say 99s are hard is foolish.

If you say that it's foolish to suggest that having the time to spend on gaining 99s is easy then yeah. Personally I don't have all that much time, so 99s for me are gained over long periods. I accept that the repeated clicking that is required to attain EXP is technically easy, but going through it day in day out so as to reach your goal is probably a little bit more difficult.

Well it then just means it takes time, it does not mean it's hard.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

349eaza.png

... :lol:

Aside from just discussing the rewards, could we create a list of possible champions to fill the next sets of 3?

Superiorly overpowered rewards thought of for an earlier thread!!

[hide=+]14cbqlc.jpg[/hide]

New rewards!

10k XP reward lamp for every fight as well as...

[hide=Gnome:]Ability:

Greatly increased Gnome Restaurant rewards, including new rewards that are tradable but only obtainable through the minigame after you've defeated this champion.

Item:

Dark blue light red trimmed (Agility Cape colors) add-on pieces for the Spottier Cape, Penance Gloves, and Boots of Lightness, as well as a new torso and legs that have the same weight reduction.[/hide]

[hide=Tzhaar:]Ability:

If you have reached Tz-Tok Jad in the Fight Caves minigame, you may skip directly to him once every day. Also, if you have defeated him at least once, you may buy Fire Capes for 16k TokKul each.

Item:

The double-bladed obsidian ax, of course! Since this would surely be the most difficult champion to defeat, the stats of the weapon should make it the "Godsword of battleaxes". For the special attack, if it has one, you throw the ax, and it continually hits the target until the target returns a melee attack. Your special attack energy lowers by 1 square for every attack. It should never be lost in the process.[/hide]

[hide=Werewolf:]Ability: You can wear 1 'ability' ring (Ring of Wealth, Ring of Life) and 1 stat ring (Berserker Ring, Beacon Ring) at the same time. You can also wear a pair of gloves with a pair of bracelets (so yes, requiring two bracelets of the same kind) for 1 of the bracelets' effects and stats plus the effects and stats of the pair of gloves.

Regen Braces + Barrows Gloves:

Attack:+20, +20, +20, +9, +19

Defence:+18, +18, +18, +9, +18

Strength:+19

Plus the x2 healing ability of the bracelets.

Item:

I like the idea of a Ranged/Magic Slayer mask, but I'd rather it just be an addition to the current Slayer Helmet. Red glowing eyes...

Make the Helmet look like something out of Killzone 2. Awesome.[/hide]

[hide=Elf:]Ability:

You can purchase Crystal equipment that does not degrade for 2x the 'new' price. There should be slight differences in appearance. Also, you can have Ilfeen enchant the Crystal Saw and Crystal Chimes to be able to change on the spot, as well as making the Crystal Saw last an infinite number of uses.

Item:

A Crystal dagger nearly identical stat-wise to the SC ones with added slash bonus. The speed is 7. The special attack consumes a full bar and restores Prayer.[/hide]

[hide=Dwarf:]Ability:

You can buy Granite Boots!

You can combine (or have combined by an NPC) Plateleg and skirt armors for bonuses equal to 1.5 x one of the original.

You must first have a special untradable connection piece dropped only by certain monsters.

Dragon Skirtlegs:

Defense:

+102, +99, +95, -6, +98

Weight: 18Kg

Item:

A wieldable Blast Fusion Hammer, the "Godsword of warhammers". The special attack does +15%, and can hit higher depending on the opponent's weight.[/hide]

[hide=All:]Ability:

New emote(s), certain special armors can be trimmed (untradable Dragon (G) for example, probably by the same NPC that combines leg armors), you can change to the Champions crest (POH).

Item:

A Champion's Badge that can be attached to the Quest Point Cape for +4 Prayer, a 50k XP reward lamp.[/hide]

2dgucz6.png

I would think it would be pretty awesome if they implemented slayers into this. Like once you had 99 slay, the types of monsters would get angry at you for killing so many of them, that they release their champions

and the champion dark beast/abyssal demon could drop somethin pretty awesome ^.^

Thesis.png

If you have reached Tz-Tok Jad in the Fight Caves minigame, you may skip directly to him once every day. Also, if you have defeated him at least once, you may buy Fire Capes for 16k TokKul each.

Item:

The double-bladed obsidian ax, of course! Since this would surely be the most difficult champion to defeat, the stats of the weapon should make it the "Godsword of battleaxes". For the special attack, if it has one, you throw the ax, and it continually hits the target until the target returns a melee attack. Your special attack energy lowers by 1 square for every attack. It should never be lost in the process.[/hide]

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MY GOD! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:blink:

EDIT: That's just ideas of how the rewards could be... :unsure:

I can easily argue that it's a good idea.

It is a reward for people who have put in the effort of completing the mini-game. That is it, pure and simple. In basic, you are saying everything that takes a long time should give no rewards? That is ludicrous.

With a task like this, nobody is being forced to do it, it is a reward for those who want to put in the effort to do it. It is unfair to say that they can have no reward for doing so (I count the minute exp currently given as no reward)

It is very luck based, but so is everything in runescape. Should we not give hilt drops at GWD because player A can get it in half an hour, where as player B can take 50 hours? No, it is the basis of the game.

First off, you're not supposed to be 'putting in effort' for scrolls. It's all meant to be random. If you're choosing to go against the idea of getting the scrolls randomly over a long period of time, and instead force yourself to kill tons of the same monster for the scrolls, I don't think you deserve a reward despite your 'determination', 'hard work', 'sweat and tears' whatsoever.

I am personally not arguing it should be game breaking, or even still worthwhile, just something. A Helm which can be combined and used by rangers mages and mellee and slightly stronger than all that currently exists would be a good example. It would not be worth the time getting, but would be something for those who do.

Maybe even something purely cosmetic such as your name on a board outside, or inside the guild.

The banner holder imp has already filled the slot of what you're asking for. So yes, Jagex has already rewarded you. It's SOMETHING.

I completed the hobgoblin, and probably another challenge that I forgot. The former was while getting killcounts for Bandos. It didn't come across to me as hard work, I just got lucky, and it was a pleasant surprise.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I know you're just trying to drag me into an argument about whether or not getting 99s is difficult, so I'll step away from that. Just give yourself a pat on the back for having such genius of wit, and for bigging yourself up in front of everyone by calling 99s easy.

The joke is on you, i was not trying anything. Instead of "argument" which you thought i was trying to create, i was just saying how i feel about 99s. Those who say 99s are hard is foolish.

If you say that it's foolish to suggest that having the time to spend on gaining 99s is easy then yeah. Personally I don't have all that much time, so 99s for me are gained over long periods. I accept that the repeated clicking that is required to attain EXP is technically easy, but going through it day in day out so as to reach your goal is probably a little bit more difficult.

Well it then just means it takes time, it does not mean it's hard.

I honestly don't get that argument, are you seriously saying spending time on something easy isn't hard? If 99's would only take a few hours, they would indeed not be hard. Spending enough time on a skill to actually reach 99 in it is the hard part though, you can't deny it is pretty boring to do the same thing for hours on end, especially if it is click intensive like runecrafting.

2dvjurb.png

Reward wise, I'd like a choice of a weapon or Plate+Legs of a rare metal thats stronger then a GS/Highest Armor atm, but have some sort of restriction, Like the sword could have a limited amount of specs a day, armor could withstand a certain amount of damage a day. but who knows, we'll just have to see.

On a side note, Cool. I can use the flag-imp guy from my goblin banner. :3

Popoto.~<3

349eaza.png

... :lol:

Aside from just discussing the rewards, could we create a list of possible champions to fill the next sets of 3?

Superiorly overpowered rewards thought of for an earlier thread!!

[hide=+]14cbqlc.jpg[/hide]

New rewards!

10k XP reward lamp for every fight as well as...

[hide=Gnome:]Ability:

Greatly increased Gnome Restaurant rewards, including new rewards that are tradable but only obtainable through the minigame after you've defeated this champion.

Item:

Dark blue light red trimmed (Agility Cape colors) add-on pieces for the Spottier Cape, Penance Gloves, and Boots of Lightness, as well as a new torso and legs that have the same weight reduction.[/hide]

Item:

[hide=Werewolf:]Ability: You can wear 1 'ability' ring (Ring of Wealth, Ring of Life) and 1 stat ring (Berserker Ring, Beacon Ring) at the same time. You can also wear a pair of gloves with a pair of bracelets (so yes, requiring two bracelets of the same kind) for 1 of the bracelets' effects and stats plus the effects and stats of the pair of gloves.

Regen Braces + Barrows Gloves:

Attack:+20, +20, +20, +9, +19

Defence:+18, +18, +18, +9, +18

Strength:+19

Plus the x2 healing ability of the bracelets.

Item:

I like the idea of a Ranged/Magic Slayer mask, but I'd rather it just be an addition to the current Slayer Helmet. Red glowing eyes...

Make the Helmet look like something out of Killzone 2. Awesome.[/hide]

[hide=Elf:]Ability:

You can purchase Crystal equipment that does not degrade for 2x the 'new' price. There should be slight differences in appearance. Also, you can have Ilfeen enchant the Crystal Saw and Crystal Chimes to be able to change on the spot, as well as making the Crystal Saw last an infinite number of uses.

Item:

A Crystal dagger nearly identical stat-wise to the SC ones with added slash bonus. The speed is 7. The special attack consumes a full bar and restores Prayer.[/hide]

[hide=Dwarf:]Ability:

You can buy Granite Boots!

You can combine (or have combined by an NPC) Plateleg and skirt armors for bonuses equal to 1.5 x one of the original.

You must first have a special untradable connection piece dropped only by certain monsters.

Dragon Skirtlegs:

Defense:

+102, +99, +95, -6, +98

Weight: 18Kg

Item:

A wieldable Blast Fusion Hammer, the "Godsword of warhammers". The special attack does +15%, and can hit higher depending on the opponent's weight.[/hide]

[hide=All:]Ability:

New emote(s), certain special armors can be trimmed (untradable Dragon (G) for example, probably by the same NPC that combines leg armors), you can change to the Champions crest (POH).

Item:

A Champion's Badge that can be attached to the Quest Point Cape for +4 Prayer, a 50k XP reward lamp.[/hide]

Reward wise, I'd like a choice of a weapon or Plate+Legs of a rare metal thats stronger then a GS/Highest Armor atm, but have some sort of restriction, Like the sword could have a limited amount of specs a day, armor could withstand a certain amount of damage a day. but who knows, we'll just have to see.

On a side note, Cool. I can use the flag-imp guy from my goblin banner. :3

In short, no.

Great that you guys thought of these wonderfully powerful items for the high end players that must be so hard to come up with (Yea right...), but these can come from better sources than a minigame that is meant to serve no purpose other than pure randomness and luck.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

That argument is null Ravian. It can be said that GWD is all randomness and luck, yet the best gear comes from there?

The reason the mini-game currently serves no purpose is because it does not have rewards, which is the whole point of this thread.

Why is it hard for people to comprehend that people can get the best gear in rs after 30h of GWD, but are nothing worthwhile at all after 500+ hours? It is unfair to say the least.

And ravian, do you not think it is hard to complete the champions challenge? You may have a few you have come across in GWD by chance, but getting the rest is truly not so easy.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

That argument is null Ravian. It can be said that GWD is all randomness and luck, yet the best gear comes from there?

The reason the mini-game currently serves no purpose is because it does not have rewards, which is the whole point of this thread.

Why is it hard for people to comprehend that people can get the best gear in rs after 30h of GWD, but are nothing worthwhile at all after 500+ hours? It is unfair to say the least.

And ravian, do you not think it is hard to complete the champions challenge? You may have a few you have come across in GWD by chance, but getting the rest is truly not so easy.

Unfair? Last I checked, the champions challenge was voluntary.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a minigame where the reward is pure bragging rights for being stubborn enough to get every scroll, as long as you know what you're getting into (which we do).

There's also zero reason why the champions challenge HAS to have a reward besides the imp- all runescape players need at the minimum is a way to prove to everyone else that they did (insert challenge).

The minigame just came out with all the reward necessary- proof of accomplishment.

The reason the mini-game does not have decent rewards is because it's not meant to serve a purpose, and it's not meant to be earned by players. If you keep going by the effort->reward rule, you won't understand that this is not about putting in effort which leads to reward.

"Why didn't you change the drop rates for the Champions Challenges scrolls?"

We really didn’t want to make the scrolls easier to get as we feel that there is plenty of room in our game for “hard to achieve” cosmetic rewards.

The content isn’t designed to be something you can buy or “earn”, it’s just a random drop chance. Don’t forget, the XP rewards are pretty small as it’s supposed to be a cool looking benefit, not a “must have”.

The sentence in bold is a message from Jagex telling you in short that the scroll drop rates are crazily low, but don't worry, the rewards aren't in the bit useful either, so you don't need to bother yourself with "putting in effort" to get them, as we don't want you to go around "earning" it either.

If you do it, it's your choice. BUT that doesn't justify a demand for reward for this minigame.

GWD is designed and implemented by Jagex to be rewarding to combat oriented players, that's the difference.

And regarding your question on my opinion as to whether it's hard to complete the challenges, my answer depends on your definition of 'hard'. I prefer to think of it as time-consuming. So the question should be, should you be greatly rewarded for putting in so much time for this task that no one compelled you to complete.

For me,

•  
  • Fight caves is hard, fire cape is a decent reward.
  • GWD is hard for 3/4 of the bosses when you solo, keeping the drops to yourself is a decent reward. Teamwork is encouraged.
  • Training skills is time consuming, but skills are recognized tasks that Jagex puts its player to complete and pretty much the core of the game itself, therefore the skillcape is rewarded for the time put in.

Champions Challenge is time consuming, Jagex chose to let the scroll drop rate to be insanely low while making the reward insignificant, but nevertheless provide players with the boasting right in the form of a visible display. You already have a reward. <_<

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Unfair? Last I checked, the champions challenge was voluntary.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a minigame where the reward is pure bragging rights for being stubborn enough to get every scroll, as long as you know what you're getting into (which we do).

There's also zero reason why the champions challenge HAS to have a reward besides the imp- all runescape players need at the minimum is a way to prove to everyone else that they did (insert challenge).

The minigame just came out with all the reward necessary- proof of accomplishment.

The GWD comparison doesn't hold water because the gear is buyable. I don't HAVE to go to GWD to get the rewards- I can save up money from slayer (or any other activity that generates income) to get the items I want.

I honestly don't get that argument, are you seriously saying spending time on something easy isn't hard? If 99's would only take a few hours, they would indeed not be hard. Spending enough time on a skill to actually reach 99 in it is the hard part though, you can't deny it is pretty boring to do the same thing for hours on end, especially if it is click intensive like runecrafting.

If getting a 99 results in a reward that interests me, clicking and repeating is no problem for me. However, there are not many skills left that interest me much...

But my main point is:

a 99 is a very silly reward for a Warrior. I take it as a insult to be honest (Just saying)...

Why? I don't get 99s for the capes. I get them for:

1) Their use

2) For their potential use in future

A great weapon or a exclusive cave for a class would be better than a 99!

Absolutely no way in hell to a free 99.

I see what you are saying about the massive amount of xp that you can get in COMBAT from killing the champions, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that runecrafting or mining(well not so much any more) xp is of the same "worth" as combat xp.

Also, adding any useful rewar for the challenges would promote camping and undesirable monsters for hours on end, this does not seem to follow with what Jagex usually approves of. The current semi-useless rewards seem to fit much better with the tone of this mini game.

EDIT: I completely agree with everything that Ravian posted a bit further up on the page.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Absolutely no way in hell to a free 99.

I see what you are saying about the massive amount of xp that you can get in COMBAT from killing the champions, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that runecrafting or mining(well not so much any more) xp is of the same "worth" as combat xp.

Also, adding any useful rewar for the challenges would promote camping and undesirable monsters for hours on end, this does not seem to follow with what Jagex usually approves of. The current semi-useless rewards seem to fit much better with the tone of this mini game.

i agree. Also skillers and combat lovers should be separated. With that Champion's Challenge, a combat minigame should only give combat rewards.

I have to call foul on that argument. Any of the GWD bosses are much more difficult than spending 30 hours one-hitting goblins with bronze knives. The latter may be more mind numbing, but certainly not as difficult or resource-consuming.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It would be a seriously stupid idea to give meaningful rewards to a minigame like Champion's Challenge. Suddenly you've just offered players significant rewards for fighting thousands upon thousands of low-leveled monsters with no drops. That's like saying, "I'll give you a million dollars if you go for a month eating nothing but unflavored porridge and vitamin supplements." Yeah, you're not forced to do it, but you're heavily incentivised to do it. Why should the game give the best rewards for doing the least-fun activities?

If you're going to give good rewards for Champion's Challenge, they can't be exclusive rewards. Give a 200k xp lamp for skills over 70. Give a large cash reward. Give a cosmetic reward with no functionality. There you have it: good, worthwhile rewards that don't ruin the game.

And giving a free 99: are you insane? That's a moronic idea. I don't know if you realized this, but you already get a 99 for completing all those challenges. It's called "The combat experience you got from killing all those monsters."

WARNING: I have a big head and think highly of myself regardless of evidence to the contrary, and now want to peel off on a bender. This leads to TL;DR. I've handily crushed all the words down so you don't have to read them. So skip if you want to.

Okay, so right now, I see two sides:

- Folks who have dreams of cool stuff despite the fact that in reality, most of the stuff would tear the game apart, and just for one minigame. Cool stuff should be spread out over the expanse of Gielinor so that everybody gets a chance at glory, and on top of that, shouldn't be focused in yet another combat-based minigame that rewards people who shun skilling in favor of heavy combat training, despite both sides working with the same amount of time. This is why we have slayer, a skill based on your combat skills and rewards combat people for doing exactly what they've been doing except killing "different" specific monsters. We don't even have anything like that for skillers, unless you count second stage skills like fletching, firemaking, and cooking. And those are very respected and rare accomplishments. Yep.

- Folks who see how destructive doing this would be, but make a large error in thinking that they can convince people who think that "a slightly stronger object than the other object" is a minor matter and wouldn't totally undo the economy due to people wanting it and not caring about the other object anymore. This is a double flaw of humans: wanting something better even if it's only slightly better and doesn't offer commensurate reward to effort, and thinking people won't actually do that even though we've spent entire civilizations doing that exact same thing. Triple flaw if you count trying to reason with the hopefuls without getting on their side first.

As I see it now, you guys are totally smacking your heads into opposite sides of a brick wall. Productive.

I really blame the system. I was reading this article the other day about how almost all the MMOs have cheapened out by basing game satisfaction on character advancement rather than actually having a fun experience. You're so worked up on this idea that being awesomer is the path to fun, but it really is the other way around. Your character's advancement should REFLECT on your experiences and should just be a small reminder of how far you've come, while all the memories of the things you did and the friends you made (if you chose to do so) are what was really important and enjoyable.

You've all gone so far into this game that you can't even tell if you're enjoying it anymore. The point that he brings up that effort should be rewarded with proper reward is true and that things like GWD, the fire cape and boss hunting do give huge rewards for similar acts of perseverance and dedication, but the other side of the coin being that people would be pressured into doing something stupid and pointless for the reward is also right. So, instead of making a dumb and pointless task that would force people to "keep up with the Joneses", I think that there should be something ACTUALLY ENJOYABLE TO DO which would give minor rewards once in a while. They call those "quests". You may have heard of those? The reason why they really suck is that you folks keep bringing them down every time they do anything, and that when a department gets punished for doing something that nobody likes, they tend to focus more on things that people "look" like they enjoy, like PvP and large combat e-wangs. Through numerous complaints that don't provide any constructive criticism, they've been conditioned to never develop the game beyond simple ideas and keep using the same old tactics to try to amuse their customers so that they don't starve to death. I see a large connection between Jagex fumbling every good thing that may have come out of the game since they've never actually tried making something something enjoyable, and people raging every time this happens and telling them to stick with PK or boss fights. GREAT JOB THERE BUCKO.

As it has been stated many times, character advancement through skill leveling is the main product of this game (and the entire basis of the economy), so all that fun gets pushed to the side when the reward is the only thing worth having. The actual work being done is muddled up in a big pile of "time = clicks = effort" where people think they deserve things for wasting time and clicking a lot to the point where your hand needs surgery, or consider efficency and skill to be despised since all merchanters are dirty for doing something that everybody follows along with willingly (you CAN fight them, you just haven't TRIED), or since something has been made so that it doesn't physically hurt you to do it, it is no longer worth doing anymore. This is STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID. Pain is not fun! It never was, unless you're one of those kinds of people, and if you really want the whole game to be like that, don't drag everybody else into it!

Anyway, the whole point of the challenge was just a challenge. There isn't really any other reward than pride. Perhaps they could expand it to include some stuff to put in your trophy or throne room, but other than that, I don't really see why it should have anything more to do with our already broken sense of accomplishment.

So, to recap:

- Stop fighting, you're making my head hurt. Both sides are not getting through to each other. Sit down and think this through the other guy's shoes. Why would he say that? What if he was right? How could I be possibly wrong in what I'm trying? In addition to being like Batman, this also helps you figure out what you're doing with yourself.

- This minigame was never intended to be more than a small thing that you might do if you're bored. Stop trying to make it bigger. Spread fun across the board for everybody; not everybody wants to do that one thing you're doing even though you think you can convert people to your religi-sorry about that, was another rant for another time. Making things fun and forcing people to do things your way are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Ignore the fact that I'm trying to get you to do things my way because I think it'd be better off for everybody. :wink:

- We should be spending our efforts towards supporting richer gameplay rather than richer characters. Making more gear only postpones the inevitable emptiness in the soul, while making things fun without the pressure to "do better or quit" (pick a side we're at war!) could solve many problems, and perhaps encouraging less trolling as an indirect result. The thought of that happening fills me with derision, though.

Maybe we can have nice things-no wait, maybe we can have a nice GAME if we didn't handle everything as a one-off problem with only minor tweaks to be made.

8f14270694.jpg

Great that you guys thought of these wonderfully powerful items for the high end players that must be so hard to come up with (Yea right...),

Check my stats, I'd be last person wise guy. That was merely what I thought might be "interesting". Fact is, it might work to begin with because unlike you, we dont have 99 combat skills, or the kind of money to go bursting on Bandos, so It MIGHT have been a good reward to those less fortunate. Either way It wont happen anyway so you can keep on to your lousy Bandos in cheers "Im rich, 130+ who kills all"

[/sickofsmartarsplayerslately.]

Popoto.~<3

That brings up another point. Rich high people aren't necessarily bad, and most have probably played long or built up personal experience in doing all these things in order to obtain top-notch equipment and large amounts of wealth. Attacking their character based on wide generalizations is silly, and saying that you deserve to be able to obtain better stuff than them and spit in the face of all that effort it must have taken (unless they somehow cheated it out of others AND WHAT OTHER WAY IS THERE TO GET RICH AMIRITE :lol: ) through a not that fun minigame made only for the sense of accomplishment instead of destroying everything that Runescape is based on? Now that's funny.

I agree that high levels shouldn't be required for fun, but neither is ripping on high leveled people.

8f14270694.jpg

Great that you guys thought of these wonderfully powerful items for the high end players that must be so hard to come up with (Yea right...),

Check my stats, I'd be last person wise guy. That was merely what I thought might be "interesting". Fact is, it might work to begin with because unlike you, we dont have 99 combat skills, or the kind of money to go bursting on Bandos, so It MIGHT have been a good reward to those less fortunate. Either way It wont happen anyway so you can keep on to your lousy Bandos in cheers "Im rich, 130+ who kills all"

Im rich, 130+ who kills all :twisted:

A sword better than godsword, or armour better than barrows, with or without restriction, is NOT an appropriate reward for a simple, kill 'em all minigame, even if I myself get to earn and use it. And strilmus made a few good points as well, why are your ideas all centralised around this minigame? Are you dumping all your desired ideas on anything that comes by that seem to lack a useful reward in your opinion? I have a few ideas of 'interesting' and 'amazing' equipments as well, but they won't fit as a reward for this simple minigame.

Jagex DOESN'T want this minigame to be so rewarding that it takes the first spot on your next to-do list, whereas you are going against their intention. Extra equipment slots, better weapons and armour, long lasting crystal bows, purchasable fire capes are things that would make this minigame actually IMPORTANT.

And that was a great post strilmus, you should submit an article to the tip.it times, I heard that they're short on manpower.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

skillers and combat lovers should be separated.

I disagree with this as highly as possible. Adding skills to combat would only make it better, but some people dont seem to want this.

Jagex tried it with herblore, but changed their mind.

As long as people think ANYTHING combat related has to give combat, Jagex wont dare mess with the system.

If combat and skilling was seperate, stealing creation wouldnt exist. Its the perfect example of how skills and combat compliment eachother.

I wish they add firemaking to help fire magic spells or fishing to help water magic spells.

For me, this thing isn't really a minigame so the rewards shouldn't be in that way that you should "grind the minigame" to get them.

I think xp lamp, or some big money rewards are the best. You are getting kill count for bandos, and look at that, you find this scroll, which will give you 100K xp in any skill and a dragon impling jar. That's a nice EXTRA, that's right, it should be just an extra you get, not expecting it, but a very nice one. It should be balanced this way that grinding it for the reward is worse than just getting the xp in the respective skill.

I don't think he is emplying that your item reward suggestion was bad for the game. I think he was saying that your reward suggestion was bad for this particular minigame, as it would make people play the minigame for all the wrong reasons.

Imagine Void comming from the minigame Trouble Brewing, costing 1k POE each item. Good reward yes, but not the right reward for the minigame.

I think your right in the armor idea. There should be more viable armors obtained in different ways which don't require tons of money or super high combat to get them. Heck, even though im 99 in combat stats, I still wouldn't mind many lower levels getting some better armor to obtain. It makes my gaming experience better too in many ways, even if I dont use the armor. But this is not the minigame to add ideas like that in.

Just look at Castle Wars or Trouble Brewing. Some minigames dont need huge rewards to make them sucessful or wanted to be played. And just because 90% of players dont like that minigame, dosent mean it isnt sucessful either. To that 10% that do enjoy it, it is sucessful.

So I like your idea, but I think its better suited in obtaining it a different way, perhaps even an easier way.

EDIT Oftopic Rant:

The problem with Runescape is that everything is either better, or worse. There is always some "best armor" that outshines everything. Bandos is always better than Dragon, Dragon is always better than Rune, Black d'hide is always better than Red. There needs to be some changes where armor isnt always the best of the best for everything. But that dosne't mean it should take 10,000 Hours to obtain doing a boring task.

Armor needs to have different situations where its good for, and I don't mean just classes. Some melee armor should be bad in defense but reduce hits, or some should be high in defense, or some should be low in defense but high in offense, ect... Right now its just Higher level Amor = Better than everything below it. And tbh thats starting to get boring in gameplay. /rant

dawnsigblue-3.png

Yeah. I openly admitted that those rewards were over-powered, but I did spend time thinking of things that were related to the various champions and the areas they come from, so they're at least somewhat appropriate.

I'll concede that although Ravian is correct, he didn't need be a jackass about it. Some of my rewards are purely or mostly cosmetic.

If he wanted to provide constructive criticism he could say, "Hey, this and this don't really belong here, because then people would feel obligated to complete this minigame, but this and this actually seem like good rewards. Perhaps these other rewards could be given out from such and such."

A few such cosmetic rewards would be the badge, even without the prayer bonus, or the option to have a champion crest in your house. Why not even a cape of achievement with identical stats to the others? It's not better and it's non-tradeable, but it has some use, and it would adequately display this accomplishment. People wouldn't feel obligated since there are so many other capes they could go for instead.

2dgucz6.png