17th November 2009 - Potions, Spells and Runes

Jon Arcane

I like the update on rc because they made it more profitable for lower lvls and I really hate that skill. I can understand the frustration of high rc'ers though, it is not cool to see your hard work go partly down the drain. (same goes for wc capes before ivy)

But the mage update...

1) They nerved extreme magic potions. Hard.

-> why? I was training herblore atm and you took away 90% of my incentive.

2) They made some new spells with the highest requiring 95 magic, maximum damage of 28. All good, but the god spells hit 30 and require 80 magic (60 for the spell, 80 for charge)

-> a huge gap between 80 and 95 magic, yet no higher hits?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and grab your wolpertinger, drink a magic potion, and wear your master wand, and you'll get a 46% boost! Hitting 47s with Miasmic Barrage and 44s with Ice Barrage, and you'll have the potential to hit up to 91 if you stack these 2 spells. Woah!

2) They made some new spells, with the highest requiring 95 magic and maximum damage of 28. All good, but the god spells hit 30 and require 80 magic (60 for the spell and 80 for charge)

That is indeed weird, especially since you was able to use any staff to cast god spells since the last magic update, and 1 death/1 blood is barely cheaper than 2 bloods.

Go and grab your wolpertinger, drink a magic potion, and wear your master wand, and you'll get a 46% boost! Hitting 47s with Miasmic Barrage and 44s with Ice Barrage, and you'll have the potential to hit up to 91 if you stack these 2 spells. Woah!

Does the wolpertinger boost stack with the extreme magic potion boost? :blink:

2dvjurb.png

2) They made some new spells, with the highest requiring 95 magic and maximum damage of 28. All good, but the god spells hit 30 and require 80 magic (60 for the spell and 80 for charge)

That is indeed weird, especially since you was able to use any staff to cast god spells since the last magic update, and 1 death/1 blood is barely cheaper than 2 bloods.

Does the wolpertinger boost stack with the extreme magic potion boost? :blink:

I'm pretty sure the wolpertinger stacks with a normal magic potion.

Mixed feelings here.

They nerf the non pvp extreme mage pretty badly, from 40% to 21% and make the difference with normal pots only 6%, which is a bit small in my opinion. I think a +10 magic boost would have been more suitable. Now the "extreme" in the potion sounds a overdone, especially if you can use a wolpertinger, which is cheaper, and can be used in normal pvp.

I wonder, does Jagex not realize that deaths and bloods cost the same at this point? And yet they did nothing like add a duplication point somewhere between 91-99 for deaths. So fire surge is effectively more expensive to cast than flames of zamorak, hits less, has no special effect, and a quite cheesy animation if I may submit that one as well. Well, for barrows purposes, I think I'll stick to fire wave. Or maybe upgrade to claws of guthix like a few barrowers have recommended.

Okay after trying out my new spells, with which i am going to dominate, i must say:

AWESOME UPDATE.

lets the "hawtness" speak for itself:

surge.png

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

I'm quite sure that the extra runes update doesn't count for levels above 99.

I've only tested this with laws though, of which the double level should be in the beginning of 100's.

With my 78 runecrafting I never managed to get more rune than ess, while at natures I was getting around 38% more nature runes :)

Although, I predict that natures WILL have a huge price drop, so I'd sell most of your nats now people ;)

sigwg.png

Are you into DnB or Dubstep?

Be sure to check my SOUNDCLOUD and MIXCLOUD,

and like me on FACEBOOK to stay up to date!

Latest mix: Leuven Goes Out Deejay Contest Winning Set (Dubstep + DnB)

Well, I won't call it an Upgrayedd, but I'm still underwhelmed. It is another upgrade though. This month, as in past four weaks, has been rather thin as far as updates go. Other people might not, but I'd call it a dry spell.

Wow, that's a surprise.

What's a suprise? Me calling out another skint update? I'm not trying to bust on it. I'm calling a spade a spade. Sure it's nothing awful, but it's a fairly minor update. Just more tweaks and patches really. And yeah, it's been four weeks of low end updates. Am I the only one who thinks this? I'll put it like this as far as the update. If you look at things on a monthly basis, and I do because that is how we pay for the game, that would be four weeks for updates. If you look at the past four weeks and grade these updates, it's been a very, very weak month on that level. I think of anyone who may have gotten their members for these four update weeks and that's where I tend to look at it and feel bad for people who have payed for membeship. This also is only concerning updates made to the game, not the game already in.

Why are you always on me about this? Should I start criticizing you every time you mark out for some crappy update? How about you do me a favor? Put me on ignore and I'll put you on ignore so we can go ahead and not have to associate with each other anymore?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Just had the thought that wouldn't someone at 99 runecrafting be practically making double law runes every couple of runs (9 levels away from theoretical double laws)? With a bit of experimenting to see. Perhaps they could become the profitable runes to make for master runecrafters?

Not very likely, but maybe someone should experiment, duelling rings + hot air balloons or via abyss?

Edit - looks like Steiner had a similar idea to me :lol:

Just had the thought that wouldn't someone at 99 runecrafting be practically making double law runes every couple of runs (9 levels away from theoretical double laws)? With a bit of experimenting to see. Perhaps they could become the profitable runes to make for master runecrafters?

Not very likely, but maybe someone should experiment, duelling rings + hot air balloons or via abyss?

Unforunatly no <_<

Went there with 20 ess, boosted to 100 RC with cape, got 20 laws...

Zamorak is a nub. :(

eg38y1.png

The new spells were nice, but i feel the Champion's Challenge update gave more to do then this one.

Back to what I was doing yesterday. :P

I wonder, does Jagex not realize that deaths and bloods cost the same at this point? And yet they did nothing like add a duplication point somewhere between 91-99 for deaths. So fire surge is effectively more expensive to cast than flames of zamorak, hits less, has no special effect, and a quite cheesy animation if I may submit that one as well. Well, for barrows purposes, I think I'll stick to fire wave. Or maybe upgrade to claws of guthix like a few barrowers have recommended.

Yeah, I dont really get it. Lvl 80 spell > lvl 95 spell in any circumstance? Am I missing some catch here or is this buyout of deaths and bloods just plain stupid, considering nobody in their right mind should use these spells over mage arena spells.

Also, I've been reading that before the update, extreme magic potions only had a damage boost on one target, is this true? (so you would only be able to hit 46 on one rock lobster and normal damage would apply to the others). If this is true, does it still apply or have they updated it. If they did, then rock lobsters will be faster rather than slower.

The Rcing update might take special out of 91 specifically, but is still more than worthwhile to get higher; I like it.

Yeah, but you realise that 91 in itself has gotten totally nerfed. Natures will drop massively and they still get the same amount of nats per esss.

At level 85 Runecrafting, from 253 pure essence I got 386 nature runes. (About average of 80 runes a run with carrying 53~ essences.)

:D! Takes the achievement out of 91 RC I think, but I still like the update! O_O!

Which makes natures at 85 about as good as double astrals in terms of profit, not really a huge update besides being easier to do (graahk instead of lunar).

With current prices of course, if natures drop a lot astrals will become better.

Concerning the magic boosting stuff, wolpertinger special attack does not stack with magic/extreme magic boosts.

2dvjurb.png

Fire Surge with Extreme at Barrow

Quality will improve once process is complete

Kinda O.T, but what's the name of that song?

Back to the update, looks like someone spoke the truth when they said Jagex have already used up their once a year mage update... Quite a big let down compared to the things it could have been.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Unforunatly no <_<

Went there with 20 ess, boosted to 100 RC with cape, got 20 laws...

After reading up on everything, I think this is something Jagex should change, especially since I'm nearing 91 runecrafting and I'm basically getting screwed over! :eek:

Jagex need to give an incentive for people who are now going to be suffering from this update, and potentially getting 'double' laws, every few runs would definitely be a step in a good direction.

I thought the extreme magic potion was rather ridiculous to boost your damage by 40%, when none of the other two combat type does that. Even though magic is supposed to be another combat skill altogether, bonuses from potions should be be more or less even.

For ice barrage:

•  
  • 15% for normal magic potion would mean 34, an addition 4 damage.
  • 21% for extreme magic potion would be 36 an addition 6 damage.

For fire surge:

•  
  • 15% for normal magic potion would mean 32, a addition 4 damage.
  • 21% for extreme magic potion would be 33 an addition 5 damage.

+19 strength from super strength is about 4 damage, +26 from extreme strength is about 5 damage. And it's fixed, meaning that magic gets the advantage if higher hitting spells appears in the future.

You know, having all the extreme potions in PVP won't be that bad now actually. the only one that stands out too much was extreme magic, but now it's more or less even out.

Runecraft:

Bad for those aiming for 91 runecraft, but great in other ways.

More runes: lesser cost for magic. At least this is what I hope. RCers should earn as much as before, but each rune cost a little less.

Progressive reward (in terms of nature runes) from 44 to 91 runecraft. You don't want your strength level to hit the same all the way from level 44 to 91 do you?

GREAT UPDATE :thumbsup:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Yeah, I dont really get it. Lvl 80 spell > lvl 95 spell in any circumstance? Am I missing some catch here or is this buyout of deaths and bloods just plain stupid, considering nobody in their right mind should use these spells over mage arena spells.

Also, I've been reading that before the update, extreme magic potions only had a damage boost on one target, is this true? (so you would only be able to hit 46 on one rock lobster and normal damage would apply to the others). If this is true, does it still apply or have they updated it. If they did, then rock lobsters will be faster rather than slower.

ah, but you seem not to understand that the god spells dont have the potential to be used with boosting wands. And the level diffirence only occurs because the god spells only draw power from the god's not use your (rune) own power, thus it is way harder to master, but is way more potent.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.