Jagex Aid Arrest of Runescape Account Hacker

Hegel

The justice system here in the UK is so messed up. There is nothing that can be done to stop this guy getting back infront a computer, the police have more important things to do than deal with this. Notice how people that stab other people with knives get just 6 years in jail? Well to rub salt in an already salty wound they are usually out within 6 monthes.

It's good that they're trying to crack down though...

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I am glad that Jagex is doing they're part for things like this to make it safer for players and making hackers pay for they're crimes. Let us hope that they continue catching hackers.

vizardsig-1.png

There's more to this story; people don't get arrested simply for stealing RuneScape game accounts.

My guess is that one of his keyloggers found its way to the "wrong persons" computer and its them that reported it as malicious computer access or something. The Runescape element, while small, helped the police follow the "paper trail" and find out who it was.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

There's more to this story; people don't get arrested simply for stealing RuneScape game accounts.

My guess is that one of his keyloggers found its way to the "wrong persons" computer and its them that reported it as malicious computer access or something. The Runescape element, while small, helped the police follow the "paper trail" and find out who it was.

Key word: "Stealing".

People do get arrested for stealing. And theft of virtual items is looked at almost the same way. There's been more than 1 thread on these forums with people being charged for the theft of virtual items. One being two kids who made another guy, in real life, give them his green halloween mask.

The offenders have both been sentenced to community service -- 200 hours for the 15-year-old, and 160 hours for the 14-year-old.
(Source: http://www.massively.com/2008/10/21/dutch-court-convicts-2-minors-of-stealing-virtual-items/ )

And in relation to Phishing being illegal:

Congress and Phishing are on colision course - Phishing is a crime that can happen to anyone. Essentially it is identity theft. Someone steals your credit card and your name in order to steal your money and potentially ruin your credit. Unfortunately, this crime is becoming so popular on the internet that congress is being forced to enact federal laws about the criminality of phishing.

And in the same article

If someone is convicted under the law passed by congress for phishing they could risk spending up to five years in prison. The people convicted of phishing may also have to pay a $250,000 fine.
(Source: http://www.anti-phishing.info/congress-and-phishing.htm )

I'm sure, in most places around the world - those above figures vary, however, still very much illegal. Says that it's hard to find those phishing, yes. But when they are found.... :twisted:

RIP Michaelangelopolous

yes, either that, or he also wiped someones IRL bank as well, since he most likely had access to that as well by help of a simple keylog.

so maybe the kid downloaded something stupid, and he ended up losing his RS bank, while in the meantime his daddy ended up losing REAL money hehe

+3 Longsword of the Burning Wedgie

I want it...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The justice system here in the UK is so messed up. There is nothing that can be done to stop this guy getting back infront a computer, the police have more important things to do than deal with this. Notice how people that stab other people with knives get just 6 years in jail? Well to rub salt in an already salty wound they are usually out within 6 monthes.

It's good that they're trying to crack down though...

What, more important than stealing? They may as well not bother with people stealing cars or shoplifting, because after all, they have more important things to deal with. This has been a long time coming, and if they get a conviction it will really help with the effort of taking down virtual goods theives. I would have thought this guy would be behind a few proxies, and it doesn't seem to have helped.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

No one should be in jail for hacking a videogame account. If he used a stolen credit card to pay for the account thats a different story entirely.

"No-one should be in jail for setting up a system to steal items, albeit virtual." As an above poster said, and to conintue on from that, no-one should be in jail so, according to you, for stealing a car, bike, TV..anything! Training a RuneScape account requires many many hours, you've earned what you get on this game. Some [wagon] coming along, fooling you by creating an illegal site which resembles the real one and taking your stuff? That's stealing.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

This is a great step I think, both for Jagex and for the Internet-crime scene. I've always felt that internet crimes are seen as being lesser to that of crimes encountered in the world, which of-course shouldn't be the case - although the 'virtual' nature of it creates somewhat of a barrier between the real-world and the 'internet', these accounts and virtual-possessions are still that - possessions. They should really be treated as such in my opinion. The loss of them does result in loss of time, money in some cases and even emotional disturbance!

The law's there for a reason and certainly a lot of the younger-generation growing up believe that they can get away with hacking and online theft. (I had that same opinion up till only a few years ago! ;)) This kind of publicity should make people realise that they do have punishments to face if they pursue the wrong line of things and should hopefully scare off at least some people!

And to my mind, I can really image a Jagex Mod in life, holding a giant Ban-Hammer whilst standing at the door of the perpetrator.

Lol! :^_^:

Legally you don't own your Runescape account, you pay monthly for the privilege to use it. Jagex could delete your account because they sat their turkey sandwich on the big red button, and there is nothing you could do because they have the legal right to delete it for any reason. Thats the difference between a videogame account and a bike.

I'm pretty sure if you stole a bike in the US you'd get probation. Getting jailtime for this doesn't match the crime.

Training a RuneScape account requires many many hours, you've earned what you get on this game.

Wrongo. Anything earned in this game is worth exactly $0.00

tipitsig.png

Legally you don't own your Runescape account, you pay monthly for the privilege to use it. Jagex could delete your account because they sat their turkey sandwich on the big red button, and there is nothing you could do because they have the legal right to delete it for any reason. Thats the difference between a videogame account and a bike.

I'm pretty sure if you stole a bike in the US you'd get probation. Getting jailtime for this doesn't match the crime.

Doesn't that simply relate that it's stealing the property of Jagex rather than the property of the player? If so - surely the same applies, it's still the theft of a possession, albeit a virtual one.

I'm not clued up on the law and I certainly don't know what would warrant jail-time or simply a probation; It would seem harsh to get jail-time for the theft of virtual goods, especially if it's a first offence - but I don't think we're told anything about why the decision was jail-time? It could well be that there were other factors behind the decision as others have said in this thread...

Training a RuneScape account requires many many hours, you've earned what you get on this game.

Wrongo. Anything earned in this game is worth exactly $0.00

That's why Jagex is making the effort to bring the hacker to justice, not the account creator. Accounts are worth money to Jagex, because it's how the company runs its games. It's like me lending a bike out to a friend for free, and then someone else takes the bike without my permission. Although the friend hasn't bought the bike or added value to it, it's still worth money to me and has therefore been stolen.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• 1 year later...

wow Jagex actually did something about the hacking problem, NICE! =D>

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense

There's a first for everything

indeed, first time a thread's been necrod NOT by you

lol irl

Oh you. :shades:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.