F1 2010 Season

Danqazmlp

Well like last year, I'm making this thread for all things concerning F1 for this coming 2010 season.

Current Big News:

The Official team list has been published by the FIA, featuring 12 teams, including four new teams, and a re-named Brawn.

Points to note are that Brawn, as expected, plan to change their name following their takeover by Mercedes Benz, while newcomers Manor are officially entered as Virgin, even though the team has yet to make an announcement on their title sponsor.

The full entry list of constructors and drivers as published by the FIA is as follows:

McLaren Mercedes

1 Jenson Button (GB)

2 Lewis Hamilton (GB)

Brawn Mercedes Benz

3 Nico Rosberg (D)

4 TBA

Red Bull Racing Renault

5 Sebastian Vettel (D)

6 Mark Webber (AUS)

Ferrari

7 Felipe Massa (BR)

8 Fernando Alonso (E)

Williams Cosworth

9 Rubens Barrichello (BR)

10 Nico Hulkenberg (D)

Renault

11 Robert Kubica (PL)

12 TBA

Force India Mercedes

14 Adrian Sutil (D)

15 Vitantonio Liuzzi (I)

STR Ferrari

16 Sebastien Buemi (CH)

17 TBA

Lotus Cosworth

18 TBA

19 TBA

Campos Dallara

20 TBA

21 Bruno Senna (BR)

US F1 Cosworth

22 TBA

23 TBA

Virgin Cosworth

24 Timo Glock (D)

25 TBA

--------------------------------------

That is *hopefully* be the line up for the start of the season, with the drivers filled in of course.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed Kimi isn't racing next season but hopefully we'll see him back the season after.

Going to be interesting to see which teams are competitive next season, especially since Ferrari switched their focus to their 2010 car midway through the season. Personally I think it will be a battle once more between McLaren and Ferrari with maybe a Brawn or RBR thrown in there every now and then maybe even Force India.

I think McLaren might struggle somewhat with having two world champions in the team, although I would put money on Hamilton besting Button since he is by far the better driver.

I am very excited to see what the next Season will have in store, I don't think the new teams will make much of an impact though and I can't see all of them lasting too long in the sport.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I agree, I'm a big fan of Kimi, it is a shame he's off into rally, but crossed fingers for a return in 2011.

Yeah, i think Button has made the mistake of his career by going into the same team as Hamilton. The thing is, Hamilton is consistently fast whatever his car is like, whereas Button can be much faster, but only if his car is working perfectly. Hopefully the consistency of McLaren can help him this year.

Edit:

While I'm here, I'll ask what I've been wondering for a very long time. Does anybody else think Heikki Kovalainen looks downright evil. Not just freaky evil, I mean Dr.Evil amounts of Evil. (and also from some angles looks strangely like a cross between O'Neil from Stargate and a young Jeremy Irons?)

heikki_kovalainen_spain_mclaren.jpg

heikki-portrait-1.jpg

heikki-kovalainen-formula-one091.jpg

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This should be an exiting event if it happens next year:

Instead of the traditional, individual pre-season launches, for 2010 Formula One teams are looking to arrange one large event at which they will present their new cars together. Although their plans are yet to be finalised, it is understood the joint unveiling will be held in Spain next month, shortly before the first pre-season tests.

Speaking to news agency Reuters at this weeks Motorsport Business Forum in Monaco, Lotus Formula One team boss Tony Fernandes revealed the gathering is likely to take place in Valencia at the end of January. Although it would be too early for his fledgling squad to display their car, which should be ready in February, Fernandes said he hopes to attend even if it means bringing a matchbox car.

Also present at the Monaco Forum, Brawn GP CEO Nick Fry promised something unusual for the multi-team launch: "At the moment I wouldn't wish to spill the beans on exactly what we are going to do, but I think it is going to be very innovative."

Team representatives are expected to discuss their plans in more detail during a meeting in Monaco on Thursday afternoon.

Also the expected calander for next year:

2010 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar

14 March - Bahrain

28 March - Australia

4 April - Malaysia

18 April - China

9 May - Spain

16 May - Monaco

30 May - Turkey

13 June - Canada

27 June - Europe (Valencia)

11 July - Great Britain

25 July - Germany

1 August - Hungary

29 August - Belgium

12 September - Italy

26 September - Singapore

10 October - Japan

24 October - Korea*

7 November - Brazil

14 November - Abu Dhabi

zqXeV.jpg

The Korean track looks 'ok' on paper. I've only seen the design, not a true photo, but half of the track looks like it will be a yawn. Much like Valencia (damn i hate that track so much), the top half of the track is corner after corner with barely any straights, good for a challenge for the driver, but gives almost no overtaking opportunities which makes viewing boring. Luckily there are two large straights on the track with a hairpin at the end, which should be good.

zqXeV.jpg

Scumacher back in f1, wow, speechless.

Article from Formula1.com:

After weeks of speculation Mercedes confirmed on Wednesday that Michael Schumacher will make a comeback to race for the team next season alongside fellow German Nico Rosberg.

Schumacher, who retired at the end of 2006, has signed a deal that will see him return to the Formula One grid at the age of 41, bidding to add to his record tally of 91 wins and seven world titles.

It follows a planned comeback earlier this year for Ferrari - the team with which he won his last five drivers’ championships - to replace the injured Felipe Massa. Those plans had to be abandoned because of a neck injury from a motorbike accident.

Now fully fit, Schumacher will revive his relationship with Mercedes, a company with whom he had close ties earlier in his career. The German carmaker recently purchased the 2009 title-winning Brawn GP team, retaining team principal Ross Brawn, who previously helped lead Schumacher to title glory at Benetton and Ferrari.

"Mercedes GP Petronas represents a new challenge for me both in a sporting and a personal context,” said Schumacher. “It is a new chapter in my racing career and I am really looking forward to working with my old friend Ross Brawn and my companions from my days with the Mercedes Junior Programme.

“I am convinced that together we will be involved in the fight for the Formula One World Championship next year and I am already looking forward to getting back onto the race track. For me, this partnership closes the circle. Mercedes supported me for so many years when I began my Formula One career and now I can hopefully give something back to the brand with the star."

Ross Brawn commented: "I am delighted that we can confirm today that Michael will make his much-anticipated return to Formula One next year and drive for our Mercedes GP Petronas team. As seven-time world champion, Michael's outstanding record in Formula One speaks for itself and I am looking forward to working with him again.

“With the completion of our driver line-up, I believe that we now have the most exciting partnership in Formula One with Michael and Nico, who provide the perfect mix of talent, experience, speed and youth. We can now turn our full attention to the preparations for the new season and everyone at Mercedes GP Petronas is extremely excited about the challenge ahead.”

Explaining Schumacher’s previous Mercedes relationship, Norbert Haug, Vice-President of Mercedes-Benz Motorsports, added: "In April 1991, when I had been in charge of the Mercedes-Benz Motorsport programme for just six months, Michael was standing beside me on the balcony one evening. Without the slightest doubt, he said in a low voice: ‘It's about time that I got into Formula One’. Michael had just turned 22 years of age and four months later, he made his debut at Spa in a Jordan. Mercedes-Benz helped him to this point and the rest is history: seven world championship titles, more than any racing driver, 91 Grand Prix wins, more than any racing driver. Michael has more of everything than every other driver.

“As part of the Mercedes Junior Programme, Michael had raced in Group C sports cars and competed in a few DTM races. Ross Brawn, then our opponent at Jaguar, quickly realised Michael's talent and they went on to win all seven of his drivers' world championship titles together at Benetton and Ferrari. Our sporting ambition has always been that Michael should drive again where his professional career had started and Michael knew that. We often joked about it after the races and discussed the prospect seriously several times during the last 14 years in Formula One. It didn't happen in 1995, it didn't happen in 1998 and it didn't happen in 2005. I am delighted that it will now happen in 2010. I am very much looking forward to working with Michael and everybody at Mercedes-Benz and Daimler extends a very warm welcome to our 'apprentice' of 19 years ago. That apprentice is now the most successful racing driver of all time."

zqXeV.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well re-bumping this as we only have another two weeks to wait, wooo.

Frustratingly, I am working both Saturday and Sunday that weekend, so won't be able to watch live.

I'm guessing that Mclaren will be one of the top runners as always, but you have to expect the unexpected at the opening GP.

Obviously I will be rooting for Lotus, cannot ignore the pure history of the team.

zqXeV.jpg

There's no driver #13? It jumps from 12 to 14 lol.

I always liked F1 racing, but it has lost it's touch for me, especially with all the whining they are doing :mellow: I'll watch some races though, those might still be fun.

2j3qh46.jpg

That is rather strange. One thing that is bugging me is that the Us team is yet to do a public launch of their car. Only 2 weeks to go and they don't seem to be too into the game.

zqXeV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

About 10 hours to go until qualifying, haven't been this exited in ages, not even for Xmas. (I need to get out)

zqXeV.jpg

I know how you feel Danq I was the same, sadly qualifying just seemed to confirm what we knew from Winter testing; Ferrari and Red Bull being the teams to beat.

I was so excited about the race thinking we would finally see some good overtaking and position changes, how wrong I was. All these new regulations have done is made it even harder to overtake. From what happened with Alonso behind Vettel it seems that you can't overtake and protect your tyres unless something happens to the car in front.

It's a shame we didn't see more from Schumacher and Button (although Schumacher seemed to spend most of the race holding people up).

All in all a pretty mundane and predictable race in my opinion and I really hope the rest of the season isn't like this or I'm going to get bored. At least refuelling mixed the order up a bit :mellow:

Well done to Lotus for getting both cars across the line though, an impressive achievement :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

I think half of the problem was the new layout for the track.. Tight and twisty looks cool when a car is on its own, but it is neigh impossible to overtake, which in the long run makes the race boring. Hopefully Australia will bring some better action in.

zqXeV.jpg

Well there is reason behind him being named the unluckiest driver in F1, but on his day he really can pull it off *remembers his first win*.

Who's to say the stig hasn't been in F1 before...

zqXeV.jpg

Well by half distance the race had turned into a procession once again, the only reason any overtaking happened was because of the rain at the start and the only time a race changing overtake nearly happened in the dry was Hamilton on Alonso which Webber kindly ruined.

I don't like Hamilton much, but what on earth were McLaren doing bringing him in for new tyres? They just got too greedy as they should have known if they pitted the Ferraris and Kubica wouldn't pit because it would be almost impossible for him to overtake. Hamilton gained 2 seconds a lap on Alonso when he was catching him and then got stuck behind him, they really need to change something.

Excellent result for Kubica and Renault though, I was surprised to see them up there and I hope we see more of them :^_^:

SLwQsg1.png

I'm pleased Button did well, I think he's a great guy. Hamilton wasn't best pleased after though, probably understandably. And Vettel keeps being alternatively helped by his car's speed and screwed over by its reliability.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

The aussies have certainly managed to make a VERY entertaining track. The crash in the end of the race, and the risks the drivers have to take around the course, and can safely take make for incredible racing.

Now to get rid of the old tracks where overtaking is not really possible in most corners and sections of the track. Australia is the future of racing.

Now to get rid of the new tracks where overtaking is not really possible in most corners and sections of the track. Australia is the future of racing.

Fixed.

It was an entertaining race. But I agree, what were McLaren thinking pitting Hamilton? He had a good chance of winning, with an almost guaranteed second.

Incredibly good call on Buttons side, i love how the commentators (at least on British TV) kept saying it was the wrong decision and that he had ruined his race, then carries on to win.

Webber used to be named the unluckiest man in F1, I think he has spread that luck to the whole team. Two races now Vettel could have won but the car let him down. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a rage at his engineers.

zqXeV.jpg

Now to get rid of the new tracks where overtaking is not really possible in most corners and sections of the track. Australia is the future of racing.

Fixed.

Just think of monaco, Hockenheimring, monte carlo etc. etc. I'm pretty sure i mean the old tracks :P

They are good tracks however. Monaco has the atmosphere and history to make it a good race whatever happens. Hockenheim often has rain which spices the races up and has more overtaking than many new tracks.

Compare them to Valencia, the new Bahrain (the old layout allowed more overtaking) and Singapore, they are boring and as they are new have not got the atmosphere to make them exiting. They are mainly just gimicky. Valencia is just trying to copy Monaco's street racing in a posh location, but fails on both imo. Singapore is just at night with a boring track apart from a single corner.

zqXeV.jpg