Tip.it Times 6 December 2009

Mirror

If Jagex chooses to be a one-stop shop for players by driving in game content through their forums on a consistent basis, it will at best slow traffic to the better managed sites such as Tip It, and at worst serve as a means to discredit, render obsolete, or open them to enhanced scrutiny through the eyes of the developers.

I'm sorry but I have to call bull[cabbage] on this comment. The two types of forums are completely and utterly different. Driving game content via the forums wouldn't change the dynamics of these forums. It would merely introduce more players to the RS Forums...and If you are so narcissistic as to think that RS getting better at what may be some small cost to a fan community is a bad thing...well I can't even comment on that. Also...as to the whole adventurers log and forum avatars content...you do realize that there is a simple copy/paste link that can be used to access them anywhere.

And to the other article quite nice...I agree. Why the hell do people not understand that this is a game we play to have fun. and bashing oversized turkeys into oblivion is fun!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^@ guy above...damn i want your avatar..was gonna do it

Dark_Avorian.png

The first article was ok, but it seemed like the second half was mostly "fluff." The second article is what I've tried to convey to many scapers'; that this is a GAME and should be played for FUN, if you don't find it fun, find another source of entertainment.

This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

The second article capitulates the feelings i think a lot of players have. Some of us, (me included) are confused as to when the game went from fun in playing, to fun in getting the reward. Ok it is good to have both, but the one that takes the most time (the playing) is which should give the most entertainment.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

An interesting read. However, I have a question about the DYK: Do we need to bring the mushroom and spade every time we use BJQ, or is it a one off time?

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Yes... Yes, that's what he said.

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

:D

I agree that the second article was right on. I too was a bit disapointed that i recieved no reward for preventing the turkey apocalypse. However i did enjoy doing the clue hunt event. even though the reward is a toy, it's fun to collect those. I am just a tad sad that i can't ever get the bunny ears of scythe, the only 2 non-tradeable event things i dont have.

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

Both articles were good. I particularly enjoyed the second article as it sums up the majority of the players' feeling during all updates. Good job guys!

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

An interesting read. However, I have a question about the DYK: Do we need to bring the mushroom and spade every time we use BJQ, or is it a one off time?

I believe it is a one time deal. You 'complete' the fairy ring and it will then stay there for future use.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Interesting DYK.

Articles were meh.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

I disagree with the danger described in the first article. I have solved the riddles by looking to the dutch fansite (lunagang). I don't think I would have solved the first day without their translations, also the other days were very helpful. For english fansites this evolution may be dangerous, but not for foreign language fansites. Without the riddles I wouldn't have visited the site.

StGerolf.png

Useful DYK this week, thanks for that. :-)

Not so convinced by the articles.

Don't really see anything wrong with Storm's article so can't see why it's being slammed quite so much on this feedback forum. Perhaps not especially interesting, but not worthy of the vitriol being heaped upon it.

Seems I have to bring up an issue with the second article most people have missed - is it me or is this a rant about ranting? My personal take is that the turkey event was more satisfying to me than the second part of this year's thanksgiving event. The entire premise behind the event was fantastic - I love the concept behind it, but is the reward themed or remotely worth having? I have always been keen on holiday events and would've happily accepted the emote as a separate entity from the magnifying glass, but since it's unlikely I'll ever reclaim that little magnifying glass from Diango, was it worth the time to me? No.

Now, I realise I will get flamed for making the above points, but that is in fact the issue I have with the second article in its entirety. Must we be content just because what we get is what Jagex have decreed we will have? If you honestly think that the answer is yes, then naturally my comments will draw little sympathy, but since when was criticism an activity to be criticised?! If I choose to comment on my dissatisfaction with an element of new content, that does not make me one of the "trolls who do nothing but flame the creators of this game that we all play and enjoy."

"Yes, I do agree, there were times where Jagex could have fixed problems better (the Wilderness being one notable example), but surely it can be said that Jagex's updates are with the best of intentions and mostly with good judgement?" This is entirely subjective - just because you think that's the case doesn't make it the gospel truth, or more valid than the viewpoint of a disgruntled player who gives criticism in the hope that improvements may come of it.

What most irritated me however was the attempt to disarm any vociferous critics with the rather cheesy "Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone" that followed the blind tirade against the aforementioned "trolls"... I'm pretty sure that the holiday spirit wouldn't invoke such brutal criticism focused at unknown people, so whilst I would happily wish any of my friends a Happy Thanksgiving it begins to sound hollow in the context it's given in.

If you wish to wish everyone a truly Happy Thanksgiving then do so gladly and with compassion. If you wish to lambast everyone who disagrees with you then by all means do that too (although perhaps rants would be a better place for that). Please don't attempt both in the same article, it really doesn't sound convincing.

To my surprise, I see ranters still insulting the updates (I remember one being something like "If it wasn't disappointing, it wouldn't be a real Jagex update.") and talking about how easy it was.

First day of the clue fest was easy....but by the end...it was fricken hard. And I hate to admit this, but after the 2nd clue, I didn't figure any more out on my own :/

Oh, and something worth remembering: people who have positive thing to say about updates, are usually off enjoying updates rather then talking about it. There has been one update is all of RS that I actually went to the RS forums to show my appreciation for it; however, that doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed any other updates. I'm really loving all these new quests, for one.

As for the first article...clues solved by the entire community are always solved extremely quickly. I don't think Jagex is capable of stumping an entire community.

And short of putting guides to everything in the game on the RS forums, they won't render places like Tipit obsolete. People like their calculators and quest guides. (And the questhelp thing isn't a true guide, more of a "if you get really stuck" tihng. Afterall, you can only use it to reveal something once a day.)

Useful DYK this week, thanks for that. :-)

Not so convinced by the articles.

Don't really see anything wrong with Storm's article so can't see why it's being slammed quite so much on this feedback forum. Perhaps not especially interesting, but not worthy of the vitriol being heaped upon it.

Seems I have to bring up an issue with the second article most people have missed - is it me or is this a rant about ranting? My personal take is that the turkey event was more satisfying to me than the second part of this year's thanksgiving event. The entire premise behind the event was fantastic - I love the concept behind it, but is the reward themed or remotely worth having? I have always been keen on holiday events and would've happily accepted the emote as a separate entity from the magnifying glass, but since it's unlikely I'll ever reclaim that little magnifying glass from Diango, was it worth the time to me? No.

Now, I realise I will get flamed for making the above points, but that is in fact the issue I have with the second article in its entirety. Must we be content just because what we get is what Jagex have decreed we will have? If you honestly think that the answer is yes, then naturally my comments will draw little sympathy, but since when was criticism an activity to be criticised?! If I choose to comment on my dissatisfaction with an element of new content, that does not make me one of the "trolls who do nothing but flame the creators of this game that we all play and enjoy."

"Yes, I do agree, there were times where Jagex could have fixed problems better (the Wilderness being one notable example), but surely it can be said that Jagex's updates are with the best of intentions and mostly with good judgement?" This is entirely subjective - just because you think that's the case doesn't make it the gospel truth, or more valid than the viewpoint of a disgruntled player who gives criticism in the hope that improvements may come of it.

What most irritated me however was the attempt to disarm any vociferous critics with the rather cheesy "Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone" that followed the blind tirade against the aforementioned "trolls"... I'm pretty sure that the holiday spirit wouldn't invoke such brutal criticism focused at unknown people, so whilst I would happily wish any of my friends a Happy Thanksgiving it begins to sound hollow in the context it's given in.

If you wish to wish everyone a truly Happy Thanksgiving then do so gladly and with compassion. If you wish to lambast everyone who disagrees with you then by all means do that too (although perhaps rants would be a better place for that). Please don't attempt both in the same article, it really doesn't sound convincing.

The problem is 90% of rants there are knee jerk reactions to something the ranter knows very little about. If your lucky this is backed up by speculation on why this will ruin RS. RC'ing for example: many rants were about how it made 91 runecrafting pointless. I'm pretty sure it didn't, and in any case they didn't know that at the time of the rant.

The other problem is that there are almost no compliments to balance the rants out, because as I said people who like updates usually play them, it's the people who don't like them who are vocal.

Personally I found the thanksgiving event a lil boring and was disappointed by the lack of reward. But I really don't care that much.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I fail to see why ending the article the way the author did was irritating. The article was about people on the RSOF going overboard in complaining about an update, and after the article was finished the author wished a Happy Thanksgiving to the TipIt community. I think criticism of the article is fine, but to presume you know the authors intent in a holiday greeting is a bit much.

The entire premise behind the event was fantastic - I love the concept behind it, but is the reward themed or remotely worth having? I have always been keen on holiday events and would've happily accepted the emote as a separate entity from the magnifying glass, but since it's unlikely I'll ever reclaim that little magnifying glass from Diango, was it worth the time to me? No.

Ok, seriously people need to get over "waah the item isn't themed" because guess what, it is. To get the magnifying glass you need to follow a trail of clues and do puzzle solving, hello theme. If you say, "but, but! it's a Thanksgiving event!" look at the main page post by Jagex. The title is Thanksgiving Turkeys and Community Event aka there is a Thanksgiving event AND a second event not Thanksgiving themed (Cryptic Clue Fest).

The fact you did the quest and didn't like the reward tells me this:

You did it merely for a reward. Well you got one.

You didn't do the clues because you wanted to. Why would you do something you didn't like, for an unknown reward and complain about it?

In my thoughts about the event they gave the emote back out (which they've been doing for all holidays) and they had a nice second event with puzzles that was deviously hard at the end. I enjoyed them both :P

I fail to see why ending the article the way the author did was irritating. The article was about people on the RSOF going overboard in complaining about an update, and after the article was finished the author wished a Happy Thanksgiving to the TipIt community. I think criticism of the article is fine, but to presume you know the authors intent in a holiday greeting is a bit much.

I don't presume to know the author at all, but having spent the article ranting about people the author has never met before, making that statement seemed a little strange to me. There's a tenuous link in the final paragraph between thanksgiving being a time of giving thanks and contentment, against the people who dislike the event given to it and their alleged ignorance of the idea behind Thanksgiving. You're probably right that I'm reading too much into it, just seemed an odd way to close off a rant...

As to Ketchup2209:

I'm sure you know what everyone is talking about when they complain about the lack of a theme - i.e. they expected a thanksgiving themed reward. The only reward themed to that was the re-release of last year's emote, rendering the "work" done for the event last year completely wasted. I'm not especially bothered about the theme myself as far as it goes, but the reward is frankly a disappointment.

As to your second paragraph - you couldn't be further from the truth. My first ever skill cape was... can you guess yet...? Yep, that'd be the Quest Cape. If I played just for the rewards or the "respect" of other players etc I'd've been too busy chasing meaningless 99s. So no, I'm more concerned with playing for the enjoyment of the game and its many interesting stories, along with the select group of good friends I've made over the years I've played.

Yes, I got a reward. Was I satisfied with the reward for the eventually fairly dull daily demands? Well, no. Having cleverly quoted my previous comments it seems you completely failed to read the first sentence. I said that the premise behind the event was fantastic and that I love the concept. How then do you conclude that I didn't enjoy the event as it was being played out, given that I'm clearly quite pleased to see Jagex take this new approach?! So basically, you're completely off the mark there about me not enjoying the clues. The only part of it I really didn't enjoy was the uncertainty about exactly when it would be taken down, forcing me to log on at inconvenient times if I wanted to ensure I completed the event.

As to the second part of your sentence though - why would anyone NOT do an event for an unknown reward?! Since Jagex would never create an event "reward" that could either unintentionally harm players or spoil the game, you'd frankly be rather stupid if you didn't do the event. It could theoretically have been something as daft as the rubber chicken, a few xp lamps, or perhaps even a little extra something for members like a Thanksgiving dinner to put on your POH table (rather like the Christmas Tree from 2006). I would most likely have done the event even if I'd known the reward, but at least then I'd've known what was coming.

In response to "Is Thanks Being Given," I completely agree with the message here! It's unbelievable how negative people are about updates. It's been said over and over "no one's making you play," but these people never get the message. I know it'll never happen, and it's completely useless to say this, but I wish that people could just be happy with the game. There's absolutely no reason to find a reason to be upset with every update.

Blakdragon39.png

I agree with the guy that said something like

"i enjoyed the story and stuff of the thanksgiving turkey apocalypse."

I personally found it hilarious. The only part I didn't like was there was nothing besides the re-unlocking of the emote.

The clue thing was awesome until I gave up and used some help.

for those who care, my first cape was quest as well. I genuinlly enjoy doing quests and try to do them without guides, (except, i always look at the items needed, no need to interrupt my journey to go fetch a bucket of milk)

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

I have to support the second article 100 percent. The only reason I play this game is to do things I enjoy. Sure my enjoyment might come from getting a 99 in skills I like, but if thats how people like to play the game then fine. The trick is to not grind it out over a stupid level. Its only a number after all, and you have so much more time to try and complete your goals.

And the endless complaining about doing something for no reward at all (or at least a useful one) is getting too common. Nobody forced you to kill the turkeys. I had fun when I did it (I've never hit higher than a 20 or so whilst playing :lol:).

Take a chill pill and relax for a while :cool:

disturbeda.png

I fully agree with the second article. Although it was kind of just regurgitating what has been stated countless times, it's completely true.

And regarding the author "attacking" the ranters. No one is against ranting AFAIK. But many are against stupid pointless knee-jerk reaction rants that just criticise any Jagex update that comes up. The author was just criticisng those ranters who rant for no reason against a perfectly fine update. There's nothing wrong with such a rant.

I don't know about forcing us through the forums. What about forcing players into groups. I have felt for a long time that RuneScape is catering to clans and other groups to the detriment of those of us who are individual players. RuneScape has taken a lot of the single player friendly aspects and either eliminated them (wilderness) or made them more group friendly. And pvp worlds are nothing like the wilderness used to be.

Now a not on the use of forums. I personally find the RuneScape forums hard to navigate through and seldom find any information I need. I suppose it is in there someplace but I am usually unable to locate it.