How do you tell someone no....?

Flamewhisker

I'm one of those people who will talk to almost anyone where ever I am. Its just more entertaining that way. I'll talk to any level players and even answer questions of the newbies but my problem is is that a lot of them ask to be friends and I don't like having my friends list really full (I try to keep it down to only a tiny scroll bar so I can actaully keep up with whos who).

Ive said yes to a newer player thinking they wouldn't be too much of a bother, but now all they do is expect me to come do stuff with them all the time when i'm on at the same time as him. First off, i'm hardly on as it is because of school, and when I am on, I want to be doing stuff I want to do or hanging out with my much much MUCH closer friends...

So my question is... How do I say no to people when they ask to be friends without being rude to them?

cac29dfe51.png

image.png

Please click and warm up my egg.

yep, avoid the problem from the root. when they ask to add you, say to them: I like talking/helping you and all that, but I'm already way too busy at my usual runescape routine to have even more friends/help daily. sorry.

or something alike...but they should just know the hurtfull truth in the begining, instead of getting bad feeling later ("that snoob player dosen't answer me", "he dosen't shows on, he tries to avoid me" etc....)

people here should remember that formula:

helping/helping ppl <> adding them to friendlist

hope i helped :rolleyes:

want_a_box.png

1) "My list is full, sorry."

2) Add them to your list, when one of you logs, remove him from the list then turn your private to friends.

3) "No thank you, I don't want to be friends"

4) "Nty"

5) "No"

You don't owe them an explanation, so who says you have to give them one?

2) Add them to your list, when one of you logs, remove him from the list then turn your private to friends.

3) "No thank you, I don't want to be friends"

4) "Nty"

5) "No"

You don't owe them an explanation, so who says you have to give them one?

These ideas don't work if you value common strangers as though they are neighbors. Knowing that I won't maintain a relationship with a one-time acquaintance doesn't mean I should be rude or dishonest, nor do I want to be.

To the OP: "Sorry, I'd rather not because I wouldn't be able to keep up; I have too many other commitments." I prefer to use this. It's true (for me) and respectful.

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

This is what I always say; if they ask you to delete someone just say you can't lol, you don't have to elaborate for a stranger.

Tainaith.png

*99 Cooking Achieved: 4th of July, 2009--99 Fishing Achieved: Christmas Day, 2009--99 Woodcutting Achieved: May 4th, 2010--99 Magic Achieved: September 11, 2010--99 Fletching Achieved: June 14th, 2012--2000 Total Achieved: July 2nd, 2012*

*1100 Dominion Bosses defeated*

Heroes of Newerth player -- IGN: SaveTehPanda

StarCraft 2 player -- IGN: plasmaJelly

Just say no, simple as that. Either that or just turn private friends/off and world hop.

Why would you make friends with a newbie anyway?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I just say "Gotta go, cya" then turn all my chats to Friends and switch worlds.

It may be impolite but it does the job :thumbup:

(sometimes it's better to be impolite and get it done then to be polite and end up with a 30 sentance of excuses why you can't add them)

Zaroterasu.png

Find a reason not to go, try to avoid lieing, just pretend you have already started your activity and don't want to stop. Eventually they may ask you do to something you want to do, it's at times like these that you can satisfy what they want.

But as I said, if a friend asks me to do something I don't want to and I have plans to do something else, usually monster hunt, I will just say I have already started my trip.

Hope this helps :)

4sDIn.png

I never say no to a new player, because I once myself was a new player.

I wouldn't add them though, only if they talked to me, then remove them right after the conversation ended.

But sometimes it can get tiring, so I put my chat on Friends for a bit.

And when some of them do ask me to come meet up with them and do something with them, I just reply with "Sorry, too busy skilling."

:)

"No solicitors allowed." You can PM me, but don't ask me to do you any favors. That's my policy. If I wanted to give you 10k or lend you my crap or walk you step-by-step through a quest, I'd tell you so. And if anyone PMs me just to say "Hi," I just ignore it unless they follow up with something meaningful. If you've got nothing to say, then don't say it.

I'm not rude about it or anything. I just explain this to anyone who asks me for anything more than advice.

"No solicitors allowed." You can PM me, but don't ask me to do you any favors. That's my policy. If I wanted to give you 10k or lend you my crap or walk you step-by-step through a quest, I'd tell you so. And if anyone PMs me just to say "Hi," I just ignore it unless they follow up with something meaningful. If you've got nothing to say, then don't say it.

I'm not rude about it or anything. I just explain this to anyone who asks me for anything more than advice.

Wow, i'm glad im not your friend! :blink:

http://sign.tip.it/1/6/24/304/lady_scm.png

Drops/Clue Finds:

Shield left half: 1,Dragon plateskirt: 1, Warrior's Helm: 1, Obsidian Cape: 1, Robin Hood Hat: 1, Dragon Platelegs: 1, Dragon Boots: 4, Amulet of Ranging: 1