Particles

Kaida23

As part of the Christmas update, we thought we'd give you an extra present in the form of a new graphical feature. One which ties in nicely with the festive atmosphere...snow! I know you must be thinking that snow in RuneScape is nothing new, but this snow is different. This isn't just any old snow, this is particle snow!

What are particles?

Particles are special sprites (2D graphics), which are designed to be used in large numbers. We can use hundreds and thousands of particles, at the cost of relatively little processing power, to create effects that would have been too demanding using existing polygon techniques. As with all of the graphical features in RuneScape, this will be scalable, and you can choose your desired level of particle detail depending on your computer hardware.

Where are they?

Your first glimpse of particles will be the snow coming out of the wardrobes that you will enter to get to Land of Snow for the Christmas update. You'll see snow blowing out of the wardrobes in a suitably blustery fashion. Upon entering the Land of Snow there is a further surprise to be seen...

Where could they be in future?

There are all sorts of things we would like to enhance with particles, and we will be adding particle effects to certain areas and animations soon. This Christmas update is just a glimpse of what we have planned, as we didn't want to hold it back any longer. In the future, you could be seeing particles used for all sorts, from fountains and chimneys to fires and spell effects. We'll also be giving other snowy areas a similar treatment in the near future.

http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=76

:thumbsup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Your first glimpse of particles will be the snow coming out of the wardrobes that you will enter to get to Land of Snow for the Christmas update.

... :smile:

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Oi, maybe they'll make weather in the future :o Can't wait :o

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Your first glimpse of particles will be the snow coming out of the wardrobes that you will enter to get to Land of Snow for the Christmas update.

watch out for lions and witches

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

watch out for lions and witches

Haha I was thinking the same thing. :D

Can't wait for the update, hopefully just a few more days.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

I've never been to excited over graphical updates but I am really looking forward to seeing this! Perhaps in the future we can expect weather :pray: Can't wait! <3:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Wow, I'm excited about a graphical update not related to Slayer... Who would have thought it? :P

Okay, I might not be the most Christmassy person in the world, but I always enjoy the seasonal updates - and this sounds like a nice one.

The best part about this one: Snow without cold. <3:

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

This sounds awesome, but wonder if it will look awesome too. Can't wait for the Christmas event. :grin:

Genesis Leader

Ending Templar & Trial Caller of The Rising

Ex-Leader of Silent Ember - Ex-Leader of True Ownage - Ex-Leader of Legendz

Former Tip.It Clan Community Leader

Oh my god, Narnia. lol

I can't believe, after years of pleading, we're extremely close to changing weather effects.

hzvjpwS.gif

Oh my god, Narnia. lol

I can't believe, after years of pleading, we're extremely close to changing weather effects.

I don't want dandruff snow effects :angry: I like the obviously fake snow-flakes near trollheim :razz:

I'd only want weather effects if it had another purpose than high cpu usage, such as elementals like dagannoth mother when the weather changes you need to use the opposite to water/ice = fire etc that'd be pretty neat I guess

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Damn, looks lie the event will be Narnia inspired. I hate Narnia.

Particle effects will be cool, but I don't care really, about particle effects or weather.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!