Tip.it Times 20 December 2009

Mirror

The first article was entertaining and well branched off the christmas theme. I agree that Cooking is far too dependent from fishing and we need higher levelled food that should be untradeable.

The second article made a very good point about moderator's requirements being lowered but the job not changing. I Don't see why maxxed players deserve to have the right to mute players...seems the crown has just become a reward right now. However it ended slightly odd as the author didn't back up the accusation that sub-parred Moderator cracks have been showing, as I haven't personally seen this showing.

Nice job guys <3:

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

I didnt really like Tip.It Times this week. The cooking article didnt seem very interesting, most likely because im not a terribly high level. Secondly, I dont really enjoy reading negative articles like the moderating one, because I dont feel it makes for a great read.

The Heads, Tails, Bones, and Scales article was interesting but did neglect a couple points.

Pineapple pizzas also heal 22, albeit in two bites. This doesn't require fishing and they can be made very quickly especially if you use the Champion Guild. No fishing required. Also, the farming skill yields the most points healed per inventory slot. Strawberries heal 6 points each, so one basket heals 30. You have to keep one slot open to take out a berry, and obviously a 5-bite food does not lend itself to PvP or many other battles for that matter. However, for staying on station for an extended period away from a bank while skilling and slowly getting worn down - theiving or training agility or what have you, an inventory of baskets of strawberries heals a lot more and is quite a bit cheaper thanbig fish or potatos. Again, no fishing required.

Fishing for the big ones gets the glamor food, but farming for strawberries or pizza toppings is important and valuable.

Just my two cents.

I've recently jumped back onto Runescape after about a 9 month sabatical. I had scored a new job and moved... so playing Runescape wasn't a priority during that time. However, I'm back on and I have utilized Rune Tips again many times as I normally do from day to day since the info found is the best. Here's the deal: I have a silly question... or a few silly questions... since I missed out on the information when it came out, apparently back in July.

- Where is the original posting made by Jagex stating that they were looking for volunteers to be player moderators?

- Can anyone point me to a QFC for the official RS forums?

- Are there any other official threads discussing this topic on the RS forums?

- Is it even open anymore or is it closed?

Perhaps they took it down or locked it (I looked at the news archives but I didn't see anything for an official announcement) as I'm sure that they were flooded with requests by all manner of power hungry F2P noobs so that would be entirely plausible! Anyway, if anyone can help by pointing out what I've obviously failed to find, that would be great.

------------------------------------

As for the article itself, my experience with player mods is that while some are extremely helpful, others are not. I think it boils down to individual personality & maturity... and I'd say that there are probably all types out there in PMOD Land just like there is everywhere else in life. As for them going downhill, I would have to agree based on my own experience with them. When I first started playing back at the tail end of RSC days, I noticed that PMODs generally speaking would quickly move to take care of problems as soon as they cropped up. And they were usually fairly mature... it wasn't hard to tell based on their words and actions. For example, if someone was attempting to pull a scam like the old "I'll trim your armor for 5K" scam, the PMODs would tell the offender that if they didn't cease scamming instantly, they would be muted. And then they'd do it if the offender failed to comply. They'd also often world hop to chase down scammers or return after 5 mins to double check a scammer... which would often shut up until after the PMOD left the area only to recommence scamming. Overall, most PMODs just seemed helpful, competent and decent. And they also policed each other as well. Eventually though, it seemed PMODs simply didn't care about ANYTHING going on around them that was blatantly against the rules... including not doing anything about obvious bots cut-cut-cutting away at some Yew trees or fishing at a local fishing hole. Oh... but it gets even better than that. Read on.

Sometimes the PMODs themselves would simply not tell the truth by passing on blatantly bad information OR they would effectively send unknowledgable or inexperienced players on what amounted to being a Noob Quest. In fact, I once got myself into a short arguement with a PMOD after I spoke out against what they were telling another player when I was banking. In all actuality, the reason I spoke up is because what they were telling the other player was completely false so I said so. What did I get for speaking out? I got what appeared to be a snot nosed brat telling me that I was the one who was wrong and that they knew they were right and the fact they were a PMOD proved it. Mmm-K. Yeah. Since it became apparent rather rapidly I was in a conversation with a child, literally so, I terminated the conversation and walked out of the bank... being followed half way to the next building down the street by this PMOD spitting fire since I dared question their authority or knowledge. Ironically, I back doored my way to the other player by adding them as a friend and private messaging them so I could tell them the truth without being interuppted. They didn't believe me at first... but I challenged them to do something really simple: try it both ways, mine and the PMOD way. That would show them who was right and who was wrong. Weeks later, I ran across them in the bank again... and they told me that it was super cool of me to tell them the truth and they did in fact look at both sides of the story to see what was what. They used my information to make up their own mind rather than just doing what the PMOD told them to do. The point here isn't that I was right... nor that I am all knowledgeable and the master of all I survey. The point is that PMODs are often massively inexperienced and in real life are CHILDREN.

My not so humble opinion is that children have no buisiness being in charge of anything, including their own set of Lego blocks. They simply don't have the capacity to deal with complex issues, look at the big picture or engage in a serious, competent conversation with an ADULT. Especially when you're talking about complex equations to calculate costs/effects in skilling or when dealing with complex adult issues that some adults talk about in the bowels of a dungeon somewhere when they're just playing the game. Take a hot button topic... such as homosexuality and now you're really in peril. You might get black marked just because you speak out against homosexuality... just because some brainwashed 11 year old reports you because they don't agree with your opinion. Think that wouldn't happen? Think again because it has. Jagex is politically correct... that should be obvious based on their stance regarding sexual "orientation". It doesn't end there though...

I was once given a black mark for "language" when all I was doing was talking normally to another adult (34 year old mom of 3 kids) about a rather mature issue. Unfortunately, another player (PMOD) came into range of us and decided that what we were talking about was "offensive" and reported it. Had I noticed that other player sooner... we would have stopped talking about what we were talking about until they left. Ironically, the PMOD never said anything to us directly... didn't even come within 16-20 squares of territory... they just reported from a distance. How did I know it was a PMOD and that they were the reporter? I looked at the "proof" of the offense and figured out based on the text. It wsa obvious who I was talkingto and where we were at the time... and that the only other player around was that PMOD. To me, it was pathetic that I was ever reported in the first place and my adult friend agreed. Interestingly, I couldn't believe that she too didn't get a black mark, something she also commented on.

Part of the problem also is that in real life, a kid standing in front of an adult will generally behave because they know there are repercussions for bad behavior. If a kid spit out vile language to me the way they do in Runescape or smarted off they way they often do, I'd smack them so hard their teeth would rattle. The point is that children behave differently when they know there will be consequences for what they do. Kids on Runescape can spout out just about anything and get away with it day and night. They also have no accountability... if they scam IRL, their parents bust them when they catch them pulling something unacceptable. On Runescape, nothing happens unless they just happen to get caught by the largely ineffective RS machine that's in place to prevent bad or unacceptable behavior.

That's why I'm a big proponent of adults only servers. Yes... I came up with that idea years ago and I'm sure others did too. The irony there is that Jagex did make a couple of servers that require minimum levels... according to what I read in the archives... but that's not a real solution. It may prevent some things such as those that choose to advertise websites or scam while using low level characters... but it still doesn't isolate the kiddies from the serious adults that just like to play and want to be where there are no snotty kids OR be on a server where they can freely converse without having to worry that some immature kid will report them because they're "offended"... even if they cannot say why they're "offended". Proving your age by showing your ID will go a long way towards eliminating many of the problems. Since it would be voluntary, it would be 100% above board and nobody could complain about it either... and the adults would be able to play on a server that was acceptable to them and meet their needs. If Jagex chose to, they could even make "Free-For-All" servers where there would be no rules on language... in other words - censor free. If you chose to go on that server then you would choose to accept to see the vile garbage spouted by vile idiots. Other servers would have a censor... but would allow adults to engage in conversations about serious topics that kids would largely not understand. I think we all get it... the ideal is that we would be responsible for ourselves and that all players would be closer to being on the same page when playing. After all, no adult wants to be under the rule of a 6th grader that has a god complex.

Well, I think that's a long enough rant for now... I do hope that someone, anyone can answer my original questions. Thanks!

-Spanked

You can take the woman out of the South...

but you cannot take the South out of the woman!

@

Quantity or Quality

Accompanying Article by Master_Smither, aka Rsw44.

Quote :

"So now not only do players have a better chance at "achieving" the crown, they also are able to suggest themselves and their friends, a right previously reserved to Player Moderators only. Not only is this bad enough, but Jagex started off this new wave of Moderators by giving the majority of maxed players (f2p and p2p) a crown of some sort. A good example was after the player Water is Nat maxed f2p, they became a player Moderator. Also about 200 new Moderators were made, with 80 of them being maxed out on their skills. So what could a change in standards and the selection process lead to?"

Well rsw44,

we meet again. As I can see you are still complaining about something, that's the only time I see you happy. Trust me, you are like a bear with a sore head when something doesn't go your way. Sounds to me that you have just been let down by your application to be a pmod and you put it upon yourself to take it out on other pmods, namingly me? what I would like to know is the following, where did your assumptions come from,could it be you found a rogue mod and they muted you? And they happened to be a maxed player?...

Secondly, you mentioned my name (not that I'm bothered ) as I am not a rogue pmod, I am more than happy to read this article and it amuses me that you mention my name.

Looks like you are not happy with the choice jagex made to make me a pmod... mhm?

Thirdly, I have no idea why YOU would even bother writing an article about pmods as we are all aware you are not up to par yourself as a squeeky clean player,... done any glitches or bugs recently rsw44???

Hmmm I rest my case,

Have a nice day.

Greetings, Water_is_Nat.

24bjlt2.png

-new channel-

I've recently jumped back onto Runescape after about a 9 month sabatical. I had scored a new job and moved... so playing Runescape wasn't a priority during that time. However, I'm back on and I have utilized Rune Tips again many times as I normally do from day to day since the info found is the best. Here's the deal: I have a silly question... or a few silly questions... since I missed out on the information when it came out, apparently back in July.

- Where is the original posting made by Jagex stating that they were looking for volunteers to be player moderators?

- Can anyone point me to a QFC for the official RS forums?

- Are there any other official threads discussing this topic on the RS forums?

- Is it even open anymore or is it closed?

Perhaps they took it down or locked it (I looked at the news archives but I didn't see anything for an official announcement) as I'm sure that they were flooded with requests by all manner of power hungry F2P noobs so that would be entirely plausible! Anyway, if anyone can help by pointing out what I've obviously failed to find, that would be great.

Here is a link to the original Devoloper Blog by Mod Hohbein where he discussed the changes to moderators.

http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=20&page=3

And here is the QFC for the topic "Are you community foccused?" where players can volunteer to be considered by Jagex to become a moderator.

103-104-0-59341959

EDIT: The article was edited to remove Water's name. But what I will say is RSW44 he merely mentions Water's name as an example of Jagex's recent push towards offering Mod status to maxed players. I didn't see any reference to him being a bad P mod or a bad person.

Thirdly, I have no idea why YOU would even bother writing an article about pmods as we are all aware you are not up to par yourself as a squeeky clean player.

It is nice sometimes to get an outsiders view. I had actually considered writing an article much like this except my writing skills are not exactly up to par. He presented the facts well and then gave us his opinion on them. If you want to write an article talking about the other side, I would actually love to read it. I find these sorts of topics to be interesting and it's nice to see both sides of it.

WTF is a tasty treat? Who would want to eat that? I am sick of RuneScape food that I wouldn't want to eat in rl. I mean gnome food is one thing, it's supposed to be gnome food, not human food, but come on. Since this is sort of like a tamale, why not just have tamales? For that matter, why not increase the variety of food from different cultures in general? I think that a chili pepper would be a really fantastic addition to farming, since it should be grown in an allotment and the highest level for allotments is a watermellon at the low level of 47. There should be an expansion to farming that would also create a lot of high level food.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Couple of things to clarify;

First, the DYK is not worded on the Times article as I had submitted it, a message has been sent to the person responsible...

The shortcut to the Dagannoth Kings is only there DURING the quest, and you have to keep failing to save Vargas...

This shortcut puts you in the room directly above the room of the Kings themselves...

After the quest, this shortcut leads to the Dagannoth Guardians...

Has anyone actually used this shortcut to get to the Kings? When I tried it during the quest, it wouldn't let me go down that ladder.

Answer:

First, the DYK is not worded on the Times article as I had submitted it, a message has been sent to the person responsible...

The shortcut to the Dagannoth Kings is only there DURING the quest, and you have to keep failing to save Vargas...

This shortcut puts you in the room directly above the room of the Kings themselves...

Second, I tried a light-hearted article filled with food idioms that still tried to convey a message, three actually...

One being the one that Fish is way over-represented on the food table. The second that a complex recipe composed of low level items should be the way to go for high level 1-bite healing HP. And the Third that high end food should not need added special bonusses, because due to being the highest healer, they will be popular enough already :)

Hope this cleared a few things up for everyone...

Saying the same thing again doesn't help. When the quest came out, a lot of us got excited about this supposed new shortcut to the Dagannoth Kings but then it turned out not to work. I'm looking for confirmation that someone has gone in through the shortcut and then actually gone down the ladder that takes you to the DK's, because when I tried it didn't let me.

Kidd_Varrow.png

spacespider.png

I read the article about food, and WOW there are a LOT of expressions relating to food in there! It's a very well written article, one of the best I've read on Tip.It - as to whether or not I support it, I think it's a very valid argument. The food that heals the most in the least bites should be the hardest to make - no matter what your level in cooking or fishing.

Also, I think the game would benefit from a system like that used in Dragon Age. For those who haven't played that, the higher your magic attribute, the more health poultices heal.

So in Runescape, I reckon food should heal different amount depending on your Cooking skill - but still relative to the food, of course.

For example, with 1 Cooking, a shark might heal 17 HP. With 99 Cooking, it would heal 21. And anywhere between it would scale appropriately. In this way you still maintain the "good" foods as good foods, but also gain a benefit in having a high skill level, and not just being rich enough to buy a tonne of sharks and tuna potatoes.

ec6a8111fe.png

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate.

I read the article about food, and WOW there are a LOT of expressions relating to food in there! It's a very well written article, one of the best I've read on Tip.It - as to whether or not I support it, I think it's a very valid argument. The food that heals the most in the least bites should be the hardest to make - no matter what your level in cooking or fishing.

Yeah, it took me a while to come up with all them bad food puns, while still trying to get a point across...

Do you agree that it should also not be as dependant on fishing?

Also, I think the game would benefit from a system like that used in Dragon Age. For those who haven't played that, the higher your magic attribute, the more health poultices heal.

So in Runescape, I reckon food should heal different amount depending on your Cooking skill - but still relative to the food, of course.

For example, with 1 Cooking, a shark might heal 17 HP. With 99 Cooking, it would heal 21. And anywhere between it would scale appropriately. In this way you still maintain the "good" foods as good foods, but also gain a benefit in having a high skill level, and not just being rich enough to buy a tonne of sharks and tuna potatoes.

This is actually a great idea...

Did you suggest this to Jagex yet?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

This is actually a great idea...

Did you suggest this to Jagex yet?

I think that it would be a nice idea, except that EVERY pure and pker would then desire 99 cooking. That would make raw food soar sky high.

I'm not convinced that it would make food prices soar...

In all likelyhood it will, as what we can see these days with the Herb and Potion prices...

But there are already a lot of people that have 99 cooking, and cooking is the skill that has, next to hit points, the most experience earned in it overall... So people already have a relativly higgh cooking level, so odds are that when such a change happens, it doesnt change much as in all likelyhood, a shark for me at 86 cooking, will probably heal 20 still, or 21...

So I do not see the immediate surge in rpices happening...

What I do see is a shift of focus in F2P foods, as double-bite and triple-bite foods at higher levels get 2 and 3 hp per inventory space extra healing power... Imagine that at 99 cooking you have;

Swordfish healing 15 - 1bite

Anchovie Pizzas healing 20 - 2bites

Chocolate Cakes healing 18 - 3bites

Something to ponder on for a while...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I think the food one was written awesomly all the little food jokes made it a really good read, and I have to agree hunter should be used more when it comes to cooking and give the skill another good use.

As for the second article, I really hope things like that are'nt that common because it's just not right.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually used this shortcut to get to the Kings? When I tried it during the quest, it wouldn't let me go down that ladder.

Answer:

Second, I tried a light-hearted article filled with food idioms that still tried to convey a message, three actually...

One being the one that Fish is way over-represented on the food table. The second that a complex recipe composed of low level items should be the way to go for high level 1-bite healing HP. And the Third that high end food should not need added special bonusses, because due to being the highest healer, they will be popular enough already :)

Hope this cleared a few things up for everyone...

Saying the same thing again doesn't help. When the quest came out, a lot of us got excited about this supposed new shortcut to the Dagannoth Kings but then it turned out not to work. I'm looking for confirmation that someone has gone in through the shortcut and then actually gone down the ladder that takes you to the DK's, because when I tried it didn't let me.

I believe you actually have to let vargas die.

pere_grin.png

But wouldn't you have had to go back like 20-30 pages just to find it?

nope, i posted on it b4 so it was in my posts. I was just reading thru what they were talking about at the time and forgot that it was super old.

Well now, don't you feel silly?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

But wouldn't you have had to go back like 20-30 pages just to find it?

nope, i posted on it b4 so it was in my posts. I was just reading thru what they were talking about at the time and forgot that it was super old.

Well now, don't you feel silly?

haha, i admit i laughed when i saw your post asking why i posted. I was like *facepalm* lol. Maybe i will come back in june or something and post again o_0. lol jk

pere_grin.png