Why don't I bruise?

l0rd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bruising easily is common, I myself never bruise, 1/1.5 month ago I fell of my bike riding. 60+ km/t downhill, I got a cut, some(or rather many) burns and scrubs but not a single bruise.

What several people have said here; that a thick skin is the cause, is just rubbish, the most likely cause is probably because some people are built to take some more damage than others.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

What several people have said here; that a thick skin is the cause, is just rubbish, the most likely cause is probably because some people are built to take some more damage than others.

I doubt that my capillaries are "tough" enough to not bust when getting hit with a paintball going 250 miles per hour.

I'm pretty convinced that it is just that my skin is too thick to see the discoloration.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

I have a difficult time bruising. The only time I do, is when I have a really bad plasma donation, and a lot of blood spills under my skin.

As others have said, having thicker skin will affect how easily you will see your bruises. Also, you have to consider your skin tone. The rare times I am bruised, it is hard to tell that I am, because my skin tone blends in with a light bruise well.

I'm also a very slow bleeder, and I think this the main reason I don't bruise. If you don't bleed easily, you won't have much of a chance to bruise.

Have you ever donated blood/plasma? Did it take longer than the other people around you?

~M

I have a difficult time bruising. The only time I do, is when I have a really bad plasma donation, and a lot of blood spills under my skin.

As others have said, having thicker skin will affect how easily you will see your bruises. Also, you have to consider your skin tone. The rare times I am bruised, it is hard to tell that I am, because my skin tone blends in with a light bruise well.

I'm also a very slow bleeder, and I think this the main reason I don't bruise. If you don't bleed easily, you won't have much of a chance to bruise.

Have you ever donated blood/plasma? Did it take longer than the other people around you?

Never have donated my blood, but I've never heard anything about bleeding slowly from nurses who have to take my blood.

Also, I've got pale olive-toned skin, so I don't think it's a camouflage issue.

I'd say a high platelet level was more likely than thick skin hiding a bruise. You won't know for sure unless you do the 'thing that cannot be mentioned' otherwise you'll just get the same ideas bounced around :P

But yeah, platelets are most likely.

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

I'd say a high platelet level was more likely than thick skin hiding a bruise. You won't know for sure unless you do the 'thing that cannot be mentioned' otherwise you'll just get the same ideas bounced around :P

Not to spam up this thread, but is this "thing that cannot be mentioned". You can't just leave me hangin' like that man. :unsure:

Not to spam up this thread, but is this "thing that cannot be mentioned". You can't just leave me hangin' like that man. :unsure:

Oh haha, you said not to mention going to see the Doc :P so I thought I'd masquarade it in an enigmatic fasion lol

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Never have donated my blood, but I've never heard anything about bleeding slowly from nurses who have to take my blood.

Also, I've got pale olive-toned skin, so I don't think it's a camouflage issue.

I'm olive toned as well, and even after a horrible donation, it's hard to tell I'm bruised. As for the rest of the problem *shrug* I've never really been bothered to look into it. Sure there is a good reason we have a hard time bruising.

~M

Platelets are responsible for the clotting of blood correct ? They dont prevent stress on the vessels. The platelets are an indication of how long the bruise can be seen. If platelet count is low, <10^6 per millilitre then some signs maybe excessive bleeding, but in the case of bruises only act to "fix" the site of bleeding. It works in reverse not, forwards. You cant "prevent" something that has already happened.

Platelets are responsible for the clotting of blood correct ? They dont prevent stress on the vessels. The platelets are an indication of how long the bruise can be seen. If platelet count is low, <10^6 per millilitre then some signs maybe excessive bleeding, but in the case of bruises only act to "fix" the site of bleeding. It works in reverse not, forwards. You cant "prevent" something that has already happened.

More platelets = faster clotting = less blood escaping vessels = a lot of bruises that won't materialise, as the bleeding is less than those of a lower platelet individual. You can't prevent but you can reduce.

I just don't see someone having thick enough skin to hide bruising, it would make a lot more sense if they didn't bruise as easily.

EDIT: The author could indicate to us whether or not the Epidermis of his skin is indeed thicker than average, he just needs to tell us if he's a person who finds it difficult to keep cool. If his Epidermis were thick enough to hide bruising he'll find it much harder to keep cool, as the rate of heat diffusion will be reduced by however many times the layer is thicker.

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Maybe you are like that girl from heroes who heals really fast.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

The author could indicate to us whether or not the Epidermis of his skin is indeed thicker than average, he just needs to tell us if he's a person who finds it difficult to keep cool. If his Epidermis were thick enough to hide bruising he'll find it much harder to keep cool, as the rate of heat diffusion will be reduced by however many times the layer is thicker.

I don't find it difficult to keep cool, no. However, when I do work out, run in races, etc., I seem to sweat more than most.

More platelets = faster clotting = less blood escaping vessels = a lot of bruises that won't materialise, as the bleeding is less than those of a lower platelet individual. You can't prevent but you can reduce.

I just don't see someone having thick enough skin to hide bruising, it would make a lot more sense if they didn't bruise as easily.

EDIT: The author could indicate to us whether or not the Epidermis of his skin is indeed thicker than average, he just needs to tell us if he's a person who finds it difficult to keep cool. If his Epidermis were thick enough to hide bruising he'll find it much harder to keep cool, as the rate of heat diffusion will be reduced by however many times the layer is thicker.

What are you talking about ?

More platelets = faster clotting. Ok tick

Faster clotting = less blood escaping vessels. Ok tick

Less blood escaping vessels = a lot of bruises that wont materialize. Wrongish.

I understand that "why dont I bruise" may be a misleading title, because it cannot be seen, but the fact you're missing is that the blood under the skin is a result of the the fibre and connective tissue being broken or crushed. Not the cause. The bleeding doesn't cause the pain. The broken tissue does. Platelets dont mend broken tissue.

Certain complex proteins aswell as cytokines and other factor are delivered to the injured area to help in cell replication aswell as make blood vessels "loose" to allow easy transport of aforementioned enzymes and agents. That's what causes the repar. However I do agree, in the inital stages, the platelets are what deliver these agents to that area. [i tried to explain as simply as I could]

The blood causes that discoloration under the surface of the skin. The broken tissue is what causes the pain.

And you're second point is complete [cabbage]. The epidermis is a fraction of the thickness of what skin is. Even if it were 10 times as thick, it wo The largest portion is the dermis, underneath that the hypodermis and the asscociated glands. And keeping cool ? The sweat glands, are located deep within the hypodermis with the actual pore surfacing on the epidermis. So it wouldn't matter at all if l0rd had problems cooling down. Its the same for everyone. It's not behvioural. It's a combination of standard mammalian structural and physiological functions.

And you got another thing wrong too. The rate of diffusion wont be reduced by how many times "thicker" his skin is, each progressive layer increases heat retention so it's not 1:1.

I haven't bruised in years. Then again, I don't play soccer anymore, so that could be a contributing factor....

I'm not sure if it's that I've grown out of bruising, or I'm just not in enough situations where it would happen.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Clots form when your capillaries burst. Maybe you have hardcore capillaries? MEGA CAPILLARIES!!!!! Who knows. If you have enough training (falling down a lot), then your muscles can grow larger and eventually absorb the impact and essentially protect your capillaries from leaking blood and causing bruises.

Edit: It's why fighters don't die from internal bleeding. They train their muscles to protect their internal organs, bones, blood vessels/capillaries.

guido_49.png

Clots form when your capillaries burst. Maybe you have hardcore capillaries? MEGA CAPILLARIES!!!!! Who knows. If you have enough training (falling down a lot), then your muscles can grow larger and eventually absorb the impact and essentially protect your capillaries from leaking blood and causing bruises.

Edit: It's why fighters don't die from internal bleeding. They train their muscles to protect their internal organs, bones, blood vessels/capillaries.

I've seen some treainers build themselves for that kind of endurance. It's bizarre. One exercise is to take a dum bell and scrape it against your shins to create "minor fractures". When your shin heals. it heals over the shards of the former layer of bone, making it thicker. Sounds painful, but its not very. Makes your bones stronger though, no matter how stupid you look doing it.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I wish I didn't bruise... hell I bruise when people pretend to hit me :wall:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Could be a variety of reasons matey. Stronger blood vessels, may be affected by some medication/vitamins, problems with blood clotting too quickly. If you look at why people bruise easily such as taking blood thinning medications, weak vessels, problems clotting... You're most likely the opposite.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

• 3 months later...