Jagex portraying Runescape as ONLY a free game?

Dire_Wolf

Honestly, do you really think anyone cares about what you personally consider to be fun?

If someone tries F2P and doesn't consider it fun, they can try P2P or play a different game.

How does that justify you accusing Jagex of lying about the free game being free?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is another discussion so i will leave that be.

The free version of the game is the most popular free mmorpg on the internet, it is in the guiness book of world records.

Yes, i know it has been awarded most popular free game...

Honestly, do you really think anyone cares about what you personally consider to be fun?

If someone tries F2P and doesn't consider it fun, they can try P2P or play a different game.

How does that justify you accusing Jagex of lying about the free game being free?

Well like i have said, Jagex does not have to advertise in a way that makes them look bad, but they do. They mention free game, with 24 diverse skills and 150+ quests, and make it look as if it's part of F2P.

I take that as a lie, because you can easily advertise for Runescape and still have good success without twisting what is actually free. And if F2P truly is so fun for majority, there would be few players asking for update now...

But you see players constantly asking for updates. And then you can discuss if F2P truly deservs the award of being most popular free game.

And just for facts, i am P2P...

Well like i have said, Jagex does not have to advertise in a way that makes them look bad, but they do. They mention free game, with 24 diverse skills and 150+ quests, and make it look as if it's part of F2P.

I take that as a lie, because you can easily advertise for Runescape and still have good success without twisting what is actually free.

I have to agree on that one.

priest_wiz.png

I agree that the line about 24 skills and 150+ quests shouldn't be in an ad that focuses on the F2P aspect of the game.

But the rest of your criticisms and claims -- like debating whether or not F2P is "fun" -- are nonsense.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I agree that the line about 24 skills and 150+ quests shouldn't be in an ad that focuses on the F2P aspect of the game.

But the rest of your criticisms and claims -- like debating whether or not F2P is "fun" -- are nonsense.

Then we're done discussing.

It's just an advertising method. A very successful advertising method. I highly doubt anyone new to the game would instantly become a member. Most of the people play F2P to get the feel of the game. Although I dislike how Jagex state the F2P section of the game IS the game when it's clearly not. That's like saying giving someone a photo frame and saying it's the photo. It'll be far more appropriate to say that the F2P game is the original piece of the game, where all the history of RuneScape started and how the RuneScape world has expanded as it has today.

It's simple and it's something not worth to debate about. You play RuneScape's free content to see what it offers. If you enjoy it and wish to discover more of the game, you become a member and if not, you are most likely to stay as a F2P'er or move on to another game. Sticking with the topic, Jagex are entitled to state RuneScape is a free game because it is. New players will discover that Jagex offer's more of the game when you become a P2P'er which seems to be a fair and an effective move. Personally, I'll never pay for a game I've never played or heard of and I'm confident that most other's wouldn't either. Why do you think other games such as World of Warcraft advertise a free trial version of their game? I see F2P as a never-ending free trial of the game and some see it as the game.

And just for facts, i am P2P...

Really? And I thought all your P2P biases were brought forth out of jealousy... :roll:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Eh, perhaps somewhat deceiving marketing. But not false marketing.

People are more prone to checking out something that's free and doesn't require payment.

It's true that you get a small bit of this game when being f2p, but you can still spend many many hours on it without using your Visa.

I got a friend that's played as long as me, and forever been f2p.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Unlike many other games that advertise themselves as free to play, Runescape is one of the few which is actually playable without any form of upgrades/items.

There is no point to advertising it as a pay to play, since its not. The fact that most new players will not get members until they have progressed to some stage within F2p it makes sense.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

I have seen this advertisement many times, but i haven't noticed the lies Jagex put them until now. I do not care so much about it either, but i think it's wrong of them to portray Runescape as a "FREE GAME", when it clearly is not. And also portraying that because it's free game, it is very popular (Everyone knows it's P2P that makes it fun).

The beaten dead horse topic arises again. The level of bias in this thread is amusing.

I agree that advertising the fact that there is 24 diverse skills and 150+ quests in the f2p aspect is wrong, because there isn't. However, fact remain fact; F2p RuneScape is actually free. Jagex tells the truth, just not the whole truth.

Anybody who has ever seen the Evony ads know what I mean when I say Jagex are actually not as bad as most advertisers when it comes to their game. They might distort the truth a little with the '130+ quests' sort of thing, but since when did you people start listening to advertisements on the internet? Because if people listened to exactly what the ads told them we'd all be ripped in 3 weeks, have shiny cleaned teeth and be playing Evony which from what I can tell from the advertisements is a game based around half naked females :unsure:

This is one of the most dead of all dead horse topics, F2P IS a fully fledged game of it's own accord and P2P is an expansion. This is a fact and has been stated by many Jagex Mods and has evidence. The idea that P2P is the real game is just based around the idea that... 'well it's bigger...'. It's just an expansion to the original F2P game.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Everyone has their own opinion. Some people will prefer f2p and others will prefer p2p. People that start writing down percentages of players and why they are either f2p or p2p are idiots, you don't know why others play the game so don't pretend you do.

In response to the creator of this thread, I personally don't think what Jagex is doing is wrong, f2p runescape is a game in itself and so it is fair for Jagex to market it that way.

ichigosig2da4.jpg

^^^^^^^^ As said in some post way up, about saying f2p is like giving a frame without the picture, its the other way around; you're giving the picture without the frame. Some people just want the picture, and some people want to put in a little more and get a frame.

oversized.jpg

When my members runs out the ten minutes I spend on free version make me want to quit.

Then you realise that you're exagerrating and making mountains out of mole hills. :rolleyes: It's no where that, you and I are both well aware. People make F2P out to be something it's not, all the time, and those people are P2P who simply hear stories from one another.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Whether F2P or P2P is more fun isn't really the point here... besides, it's not really fair to have a Well, I think this and therefore it is kind of attitude. I'm right along with you in saying that I personally enjoy P2P more, but I'm certainly not going to try and press this opinion on everyone else as fact.

This is the only real fact: if you have never played the game before and are interested in starting, you can sit down at your computer and play Runescape for free. Therefore it is a free game.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Oh come on, advertising is advertising. They only tell you what you want to hear. It's like those car commercials, "Starting at only $9,995!" Then at the bottom there is a little * that says the model shown is actually $26,873...

Anyway, I say that Runescape is free to play, and it does have everything Jagex says it does. Now whether those two are related is another story. Welcome to the world of advertising.

Big_Stingman.png

There is nothing wrong with stretching the truth a bit with regard to subjective things in advertising if it helps attract more customers. As long as they don't say anything that is clearly not true at all. At least that is my personal opinion.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20