Hawks

Suggestions to Make RS More Role-Player Friendly

Suggestions to Make RuneScape More Role Player Friendly

This is very much a work-in-progress, but I hope we can come up with some useful and smart ways to help RuneScape support role-players.

1. Table of Contents
  2. What is Role-Playing? (And isn't RS an RPG?)
  3. Why does RuneScape need to be RP-friendly?
  4. How RuneScape can become more RP-friendly
    1. Forums
    2. Adding Game Content
    3. Changing Game Content

[*] A 'Roleplaying Account' & Server Designations

[*]Suggestions Overview

[*] FAQ

[*] Updates/Notes

[*] Credits, Contributors, Supporters

1. What is Role Playing? Isn't RuneScape a Roleplaying Game?

See the Wikipedia article on Roleplaying.

Essentially, roleplaying (in the sense of a game) is taking on a persona of a character and pretending you are that character. The character is often highly detailed and has certain quirks and personal likes and dislikes. The person behind the character plays out how the character reacts to different situations, in addition to conducting combat and training.

Which is why RuneScape can be both a roleplaying game, and just a game (Jagex has changed the description from a MMORPG to a 'massive online adventure game'.). In the traditional sense of roleplays, the pen-and-paper kind, you develop a personality for the character in addition to training and fighting. This is an optional component in RS, and one that you really need more than just you to play along.

2. Why Does RuneScape Need to be More Role Player Friendly?

As RS is currently, there's not much to offer in the way of roleplaying in the world's biggest free-to-play online game. This is one rather large aspect they don't really cater to. There is are large numbers of said roleplayers who may already be playing the game, but want to play a more immersive version of the game. They want to play with other people who know the history of Gilenor, who have characters who have a history in the game.

Like I mentioned before, catering to RPers is one area of gaming (and the communities surrounding RS) that Jagex doesn't provide a lot for in way of the game. They have recently expanded the lores of Gilenor and offered more quests that give background, but they haven't created an easy way for players to get this information across and actually use it ingame in terms of roleplaying.

3. How RuneScape Can Become More Role Player Friendly:

• 3a. Forums
    There is much to be added in the way of supporting RPers with the RSOF. Considering they have the world created for them already, all that is required is a system of forums and subforums which create a world in which players can immerse themselves while not playing the game. Since it's the same world and account, skills and the like could be (semi) attached. If you gain a level ingame, your level in the forum version will also go up. This could get unwieldy, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Also allowing for user-written histories and lores which parallel the official ones would offer more material for players to use. A player could also develop a library full of specific source information, such as one for a zealous follower of Zaros. Character sheets or personality references could also be posted, and then players could find others who they think would make interesting adventuring companions and things like that.

3b. Adding Game Content
    Much like the Dice, Voting Hat, and Magic Skullball were added specifically for clans, here I'd like to collect some items which could help ingame roleplayers. The dice are useful if you are metagaming, however, if you're really RPing, you let the combat system do its work.

Suggestions appreciated.

3c. Changing Game Content
    Or making future content in a different way. What I mean by this is make options in quests that actually change the outcome of the quest. Currently, in all the quests (correct me if I'm wrong), you get the same reward and the same outcome no matter which choices you made during the quest. A more dynamic and player-involving quest system is in order. Players could have the option of playing the original quest, then 'replaying' the new version with a roleplaying bent. The quest points involved would only count for the traditional (original) quest, or if they had a 'roleplaying account' they get points for the roleplay version.

4. A 'Roleplaying Account' & Server Additions

This would be a way you could designate your account for roleplaying. In your settings menu you could select traditional play or roleplaying. If you select roleplaying, you have a small die designator in front of your name when you talk (except on roleplaying servers).

Roleplaying accounts would have a special tab (perhaps always there, and only clickable when your account is designated roleplayer) in which you can select things like your age, religion, and a place to select 3 main personality quirks. Obviously we're still limited to only humans, so race is redundant. Religion is limited to ingame deities. To prevent offensive remarks, the personality/bio would be limited to 3 which could be selected from drop-down menus and would vary from 'Has a scar' to 'Speaks Elvish' and such. The trademark item would also be selectable here, and would be limited to items currently on your person.

You also have the option of selecting a 'trademark item', which is something you always wear (like a rare hat or a prized weapon). When you die, this item would be protected no matter what, and would cut into your 3-item limit (so instead of your 3 most valuable items, it'd be your trademark item and your 2 most valuable items).

The Roleplaying Account would have server limitations. You must be on a Roleplaying Account to log into a roleplaying server. In addition to World 42 (P2P), World 43 (F2P) would be made a Roleplaying World. With more response, more worlds could be made Roleplaying worlds; I haven't looked into ideal worlds yet. A Roleplaying Account may not log into a PvP server with a 'trademark item'; they will be warned that they will lose it (and everything else they're carrying) upon death.

Add an option for IC [in-Character] /OOC [Out-of-Character] Worlds and IC Worlds (where a filter would be applied for 'Ye Olde English'). (Thanks to dv_trainer!)

5. Suggestions Overview

If the above was TL;DR this is for you.

• Forums:[/b]
  • Add a roleplaying area designed with areas of Gilenor
  • User-created histories and lores that are accurate
  • Character reference area for players to post their personality, bio, etc.

Adding Game Content:
  • Items like the Dice Bag, Magic Skullball, and Voting Hat designed for roleplayers
  • Suggestions accepted.

Changing Game Content:
  • Add options that change the outcome/reward of the quest.
  • Have two versions available, the original and the 'custom'.
  • Players can complete either quest or both, but will only get the Quest Points for completion of one quest.
  • How the reward is decided is unclear as of yet.

'Roleplaying Account' & Server Designations:
  • Players can designate their account as roleplaying.
  • Gets certain additions to add to RP-style gameplay.
  • Adds a 'trademark item' which is not lost on death under normal circumstances.
  • 43 (F2P) would also be designated Roleplaying.
  • Your account must be Roleplaying to log into a roleplaying server.
  • Add IC/OOC designators and one world strictly IC.

6. FAQ

None yet, so ask some!

7. Updates/Notes

Most Recent: Suggestion Posted 1/3/10

[spoiler=Archived Updates]

Suggestion Posted 1/3/10

Added IC/OOC World idea from dv_trainer 2/8/10

8. Credits, Contributors, and Supporters

Thanks to the recent Times article by Necromagus and discussion in the resulting thread for inspiring me to write this up.

Also thanks to all the members of the Falador Library and Tavern which also made me think about this. If you want to roleplay on these forums, that's where to go!

Contributor Credit List:

quelmotz (WIP Class Stat Bonuses)

dv_trainer (IC/OOC and IC Worlds)

Supporter List:

bballer

quelmotz

KISS

ghost4sale1

Urbex

dv_trainer

Thanks for reading, this is my first big suggestion thing in a while, so comments on that are appreciated too!

I fully support this idea. Runescape is supposed to be a MMORGP which stands for Massive Multiplayer online role-playing game. It seems that now Runescape is a MMOG -> Massive mulitplayer online game.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I fully support this too.

I would enjoy a more role-play kind of feel in RuneScape.

----

But what about some sort of bonus? E.g. a barbarian-type character will train strength more easily, but find it more difficult to train say magic or prayer. Something like that. It will be balanced by the fact that different characters have different strengths and weaknesses.

we dont need freaks whining about rping, its a totally laughable idea and should be in other games but in runescape theres nothing to diversify chars from one another really, also isnt there roleplayer worlds anyway?

oXmutilateXo.png

@ bballer and quelmotz: Thanks for the support!

@quelmotz: I have been thinking about bonuses for 'classes', but I feel it would change the dynamics of the game too much; I always hated the skill point limitations in D&D (that non-class skills cost 2 points/level instead of 1).

I'll think about how that could work with minimal problems to those who just want to level everything...

@oXMutilateXo: You obviously didn't read the suggestion. If you had read it, you would know that I addressed RPing worlds by having a whole section on how they could better serve roleplayers, especially since there's already one.

LOL

As if the game wasn't nerdy enough already.

u_r_b_e_x.png

@oXMutilateXo and Urbex: Shut the hell up with your trolling. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything.

-------

Anyway, about the bonuses: I'm not trying to make RS drastically more "class-based". It would just be a nice little bonus so some people who don't care about magic, only melee, for example, would be able to choose a character more suited to their needs. Isn't that precisely what role-playing is all about?

Wait... this is about quests that aren't 100% linear/classes/karma(Like fallout, Dragon Age etc.)? Not the nerdy crap in the RSOF?

If so I'm all for it...

u_r_b_e_x.png

Wait... this is about quests that aren't 100% linear/classes/karma(Like fallout, Dragon Age etc.)? Not the nerdy crap in the RSOF?

If so I'm all for it...

Your lack of reading skills shocks me.

Sorry, but I'd rather not waste ten minutes of my life.

u_r_b_e_x.png

I fully support every point made. Runescape is just a MMOG and that does need to change.

Also, I love new content :^_^:

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

Thanks to above various posters who read it. I will add you in as supporters eventually.

I'm kind of working on bonuses atm, specific ideas would be really helpful. and would be interested in ideas for making quests non-linear, if you have specific ones, especially members' quests PM me or post it. :thumbsup:

If so I'm all for it...

And you'd rather waste five minutes making a pointless reply?

If you didn't read the freaking topic, then DON'T POST, simple as that. Saves your time, saves the OP and others time trying to rebuke your stupid comments.

Fantastic idea. Support 100%.

I'm going to milk Goon's teats

If so I'm all for it...

If you didn't read the freaking topic, then DON'T POST, simple as that. Saves your time, saves the OP and others time trying to rebuke your stupid comments.

nou

u_r_b_e_x.png

If so I'm all for it...

nou

What a [bleep].

How about making two RP worlds for each type of player...

- 1 is plain RP, with no modifications or anything. Players could tag themselves as IC or OOC at any point in the world.

- 2 is FULL RP, with permanent IC. Players in the world will also have a custom chat filter applied for that world, which changes all text to that of the olde fashioneed english.

Boom! Dead Shot

How about making two RP worlds for each type of player...

- 1 is plain RP, with no modifications or anything. Players could tag themselves as IC or OOC at any point in the world.

- 2 is FULL RP, with permanent IC. Players in the world will also have a custom chat filter applied for that world, which changes all text to that of the olde fashioneed english.

Awesome idea! :thumbup: Adding that now.

If so I'm all for it...

nou

What a [bleep].

Yes he's a little [bleep] Quelmotz, just ignore him.

Reading this again makes makes me realize how many rants this would spawn on Forums because as we all know, Jagex has a tendency to screw up anything that works.

I don't know of anything that could help, but adding something that leaves the RP world open for years of usage would be wise.

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.