Snape Grass Bots @ Waterbirth.

OrMockHim

Note "this instance of RWTing" - no, it will not make everything alright, but together with common sense fixes to other RWT/botting techniques as they are identified, the ability of the vermin of Runescape to destroy the game for legitimate players can certainly be mitigated.

You are also correct, a "few second" waiting time would be useless, however that is not what I suggested and a more realistic figure would be 5-15 minutes before an item can be dropped.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note "this instance of RWTing" - no, it will not make everything alright, but together with common sense fixes to other RWT/botting techniques as they are identified, the ability of the vermin of Runescape to destroy the game for legitimate players can certainly be mitigated.

You are also correct, a "few second" waiting time would be useless, however that is not what I suggested and a more realistic figure would be 5-15 minutes before an item can be dropped.

RWT's would just use an item that you can change, so lets say the goods change from snape grass to yew logs, the trader would cut the yews and drop them, thus negating the effect because the item ID is changed.

If you were to go a step further and say put a restriction on doing anything with a bought item for 5 to 15 minutes, that would harm the game as you don't want to wait that rediculous amount of time before you can start herbloring those ( for example ) bought kwuarms into super strengths.

Jagex has done a big load of things on botting already, they made it so that the minimap changes colours as soon as you move to another loading area. The tints change slightly, but enough to make a colour-click based bot stop working.

I like the way that players design ways of making botting void. However, a tip for those who want to do so:

- When you thought of something, try to think of a way around it. If there is an easy way around it the idea alone will not work.

- If something you came up with is good, think to yourself if it harms the players. If it does, its a bad idea; see december 12th 07 ( no I'm not complaining, just giving an example ).

Bots, Hackers, you can even go and compare to Lockpickers. Every single one has a counter industry. And they always say they have found a way to stop all bots. Make your PC unhackable. Uncrackable safes. But its always the same.

Anything made, can be unmade. As soon as someone gets thier hands on the new device, code, safe etc, they can find out how it works. And then how it unworks. You can only defend against what you know. If you have never seen anything fly, your not going have have guns pointing at the sky.

Bots dont make the runescape encomy. They dont destroy it eiterh, they change it. Bots work raw materials. More Raw materials = lower prices for raw materials. This may in turn lead to things made from those rare materials falling if competitors drive the price down, but if they the crash, other things will go up (Rares mainly). If raw materials are higher, the reverse will happen, rare items will become cheaper. This is simple economics.

The problem with bots isnt actually thier affect on the economy, because this generally balances out. The problem is with gaming balance. When Jagex designed skills etc, they have a set idea of roughing how long the average guy should take to get from 0-99. With too many bots, prices fall too much, and hense it becomes too cheap (and therefore too quick) too level, which it turn massively shorterns the time you will play for. Unless your a PVP fan, Runescape is pretty much a one run through, one character game. Thats why it takes soo long to totally complete. That what makes it different. WoW is a very similar game, but its a multiple run through. It a game designed to played multiple times, often through the same content, but each play will be different. Runescape is all about you as one guy really. So if it doesnt take an epically long time to get you character maxed, people wouldnt play for long.

Personally, I think runescape in its current state is incredibly good a making bots unattractive. The biggest problem with bots in when people use them to gather game wealth and then sell game wealth for real cash. It allows people to pay to advance, which makes games infinately unattractive. And with the trade system the way it is... its very, very, very difficult to do that. I'd hanker then nearly any bot you come across now will be a single bot owned by a player. Hense, the best way for runescape to combat it is to work out which is the players real character, and ban that, rather then the actual bot accounts. So, I'd imagine in the case of the original poster, you'd want to ban the lvl66.

Also, not all people that dont reply are bots. Sometimes I can just be an antisocial sob and just ignore people :P

Because bots CAN read CAPTCHA and they are really annoying for humans. I would prefer something like Asirra :P http://research.microsoft.com/asirra/

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Because bots CAN read CAPTCHA and they are really annoying for humans. I would prefer something like Asirra :P http://research.microsoft.com/asirra/

but to include something like that in the game it would still have something relevant in the client that you could use to view and solve them.

From my knowledge most bots now are not colour but work using client hacking and hooks.

So obfuscating the coded in different patterns regally is still the best way to stop bots :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

The lv 3 might be a skiller that has received a party hat from one person he knows irl and because of the trade limit they can't give it back so they do something like this.

Anyway i know some people use this method to get their rares back.

You only see 1-2 snape grass or none at all because the lv 3 can only trade around 12k with you and upto 60k with the lv 66 and the limit doesn't resets every 15 minutes like a lot of people think it does no, it substracts a small amount from the already traded wealth every so many seconds so basically, you can keep trading.

It actually goes faster than you think.

To write a script like this that recognizes colors you need atleast some knowledge of script writing or some knowledge of the program you use, an internet guide is more than enough to help one in writing such script.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

I'm guessing this is just a new way of trading money over between accounts, since snape grass is worth abit in a full inventory, the Level 65 or whatever has requested money off a website and the level 3 is a part of such website. It's pretty much the same thing as oak planks in varrock, they're just buying cash off a website and the bots/website is doing is getting them the cash.

dzuz3d.jpg