Tip.it Times 17 January 2010

Mirror

Ooh, didn't know about the glassmaking :D

2nd article: there is another problem with item lending, if you wear an expensive item, but all your other items are cheaper, people say things like "nice lended phat, noob", but it is still a great system!

i did know the dyk i have made many a moletn glass using that

also i love the fiction it is kinda spooky.

the second one is kinda old hat imo even though he says its not w/e.

based on the last paragraph of the first one; how ever the only god that seems willing to help you would be armadyl if you joined in protecting his staff. if you didnt help him well then you are out of luck

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I really enjoyed the first article, but i think guthix as a favour of us helping him will not only spare us but also protect us form other gods.

As for the item lending, i think you just have to control yourself over it. I rarely borrow an item unless i seriously need it (like a gs for nomad, z spear just isnt that good).

And good dyk :D

I liked the first article; it certainly makes sense of the complicated 'why oh why can the Menaphite pantheon and Zaros still do things directly'? And it does bring up a good point: WHY do the Magicks still drain prayer after you complete the Temple at Sennisten? You'd think that Zaros at least tolerates you and would want you to more easily pwn his enemies... Unless the prayer drain isn't at all related to him.

The second article was m'eh, and I haven't and don't plan to read the fictional article.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

I have never used the item lending system. I never loaned or "barrowed" items before the system came to be. So I simply do not understand the appeal.

But I am directly affected by it when some slack assed stranger comes up to me and asks to "barrow" something I am wearing (or not wearing).

Just yesterday, someone chased me through Lumbridge Castle (by right-click following, I suspect):

"Kafei barrow GS?"

"Kaf"

"Borrow GS"

"Wait!" (on the stairs now)

"Kaf barrow gs"

My freaking god, how thick can people be?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

the first article...wow and yes, why does zaros give us a prayer boost when we change to his curses, but drains our prayer when we change to his magiks? Also i believe that if we follow the quest lines, our character's options are armadyl (although i may have killed enough aviansies to rule that out...), zaros or any of the desert pantheon besides the devourer and possibly scarabaras

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

i always considered the prayer drain from the ancient magics due to the fact that saradomin is pissed that you support zaros.

But yeah, it's kind of hilarious that all the quests end up making you go against every single god... i ended up giving the staff to lucien :(....the only god that you ever helped was zaros.

First article: a number of things I disagree with.

First, Guthix still has some purpose for us.He may not like when we helped Zanik...but then again he probably didn't like Bandos' plan. The Menaphite Pantheon (I disagree with the concept that all the Gods belong to one Pantheon) doesn't hate us except for the devourer. Saradomin might not like Zaros much, but I don't think he'd hate us.

Secondly the desert Gods seem to still take indirect action. Kind of. Which is why the devourer needed to possess us instead of doing things herself, and why she went through that complicated charade in Smoking Kills rather then just smite us. Plus, they weren't as involved in the Godwars. It's all rather confusing; I think maybe the Guthixian edict is a bit more complicated then "Gods can't take direct action." Come to think of it, what the Devourer did possessing people is similar to the Bandos avatar thing.

Also. According to the quest when Zaros returns, Barrows should not drain our prayer either. But that would make barrows too easy. Also, although Zaros is in communication with Azzzandra, he has not truly returned. Also, it is suggested that the Kalphite queen is protected by some higher power. Seeing as the Keris hurts her, I think Scarabas. I've also heard rumours of her being a follower of Zaros, but I've not seen proof.

If Saradomin hated us, how are we part of the Temple Knights? Despite helping Zaros return, we haven't done that much to him. And we're working with his followers to stop Lucien.

What is defined as direct action of the Gods?

Although I have to admit, prayer is a bit...confusing to say the least.

Item lending...ok, so we have some beggars thinking they deserve items for free. No surprise there. However, a lot of people find this sytem useful. I have lent items out on numerous occasions, helping friends (dragon axe and godsword is a big one) as well as helping random people (I've lent my whip out a few times) or lending out my bgs to get rid of addy p++ arrows. However, I rarely ever borrow stuff. Just personal pride, I'd rather own an item then borrow it. I often lend out my Godsword when people want it, considering I rarely use it >.<

The fictional looks good, I look forward to seeing where it takes us :D

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The item lending article made a point, but I still think it was a good update to follow the removal of the free trade system. More people trade items back and forth now because there's a guarantee that the item will come back to you. Even if someone said they would give me the item back under the free trade system, I doubt I'd lend a godsword. Now to a close friend maybe, but there's still that chance of dishonesty. I will agree that the nagging to borrow items is a nuisance, but as the author mentioned, "with every good thing there must be a side effect." In my opinion, the benefits of the update far outweigh the disadvantages of it.

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

Allow me to deconstruct a few of these...

Guthix still has some purpose for us.He may not like when we helped Zanik...but then again he probably didn't like Bandos' plan.

Juna declares us an enemy of Guthix when we admit to her that we murdered the Balance Elemental, this is only during the WGS quest itself, she does not mention it after. Thwarting Bandos has nothing to do with this, nor would Guthix know about this due to him being asleep and all.

Secondly the desert Gods seem to still take indirect action. Kind of. Which is why the devourer needed to possess us instead of doing things herself, and why she went through that complicated charade in Smoking Kills rather then just smite us.

Plus, they weren't as involved in the Godwars. It's all rather confusing; I think maybe the Guthixian edict is a bit more complicated then "Gods can't take direct action." Come to think of it, what the Devourer did possessing people is similar to the Bandos avatar thing.

You hit the nail on the head here. Also, hypnotising us is not indirect action, it is direct action. The Guthixian Edicts say that no God is allowed to influence the world directly, except through their followers. The Devourer (Amascut) needs us to do these things because she cannot enter the city herself. But yeah; Bandos may noit walk the world, but he indeed took action himself as well. Infact, we speak to him directly through his avatar.

Also. According to the quest when Zaros returns, Barrows should not drain our prayer either. But that would make barrows too easy. Also, although Zaros is in communication with Azzzandra, he has not truly returned.

The Barrows Icon (used as a powersource for the beacon that helped Zaros find his way) merely stored people's prayers, it is infact the cursed tombs that drains the prayer powers. They just are not stored anywhere anymore.

Also, it is suggested that the Kalphite queen is protected by some higher power. Seeing as the Keris hurts her, I think Scarabas. I've also heard rumours of her being a follower of Zaros, but I've not seen proof.

As I said in the article, the Kalphite Queen is not actually praying but it signifies her extraordinairy defensive capabilities. She is infact a Kalphite, spawned by Scabaras, but when you talk to her head in a POH she will say that she is awaiting the return of Zaros, so you're right about that one...

If Saradomin hated us, how are we part of the Temple Knights? Despite helping Zaros return, we haven't done that much to him. And we're working with his followers to stop Lucien.

What is defined as direct action of the Gods?

Amascut hypnotising us to do her bidding is direct action.

Assisting the Temple Knights who have no contact with Saradomin is indirect action.

On the surface, it looks a lot like we have done much in the favor of Saradomin, but when you look deeper, you'll find that all we did was help Saradomin's followers...

Lucien is not a God, and I have doubts that Zamorak can be called one...

In the end, Lucien becoming extremely powerful may play right in the hands of Saradomin, knowing that ole Lucy's followers will be in competition with those of Zamorak...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

God the second article was really bad... people didn't dare ask for hard-earned items before Item Lending? Are you kidding me?!?! There were thousands of beggars that wanted free items ever since the beginning of runescape. I think Tip It Times needs some more quality control to be honest...

First article was nice though ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the surface, it looks a lot like we have done much in the favor of Saradomin, but when you look deeper, you'll find that all we did was help Saradomin's followers...

Lucien is not a God, and I have doubts that Zamorak can be called one...

In the end, Lucien becoming extremely powerful may play right in the hands of Saradomin, knowing that ole Lucy's followers will be in competition with those of Zamorak...

Zamorak is now a god. A pretender-god, yes, but a god nonetherless.

Also, do you really think that Lucien will let the Saradominists go on with their daily lifes, after he gets godly powers. Honestly?

Allow me to deconstruct a few of these...

Guthix still has some purpose for us.He may not like when we helped Zanik...but then again he probably didn't like Bandos' plan.

Juna declares us an enemy of Guthix when we admit to her that we murdered the Balance Elemental, this is only during the WGS quest itself, she does not mention it after. Thwarting Bandos has nothing to do with this, nor would Guthix know about this due to him being asleep and all.

According to Juna, the balance has been upset by Zanik's rebellion against the Goblin's rightfull owner Bandos. Because of this, Zanik is no longer a friend of Juna, but we still are because of our help towards Guthix.

After WGS Juna seems more dissapointed than angry towards our actions and proclaims that "good may yet come of it."

priest_wiz.png

Concerning the first article about the Gods, I have reason to believe our character may end up becoming a Zarosian follower (if not already). Although we have not helped Zaros in the past, we are now assisting Zarosian Mahjarrat return Zaros back to Gielinor. If that doesn't clearly determine which god our characters are sided with, I don't know what will.

bleachsigsmalldp1.gif

God the second article was really bad... people didn't dare ask for hard-earned items before Item Lending? Are you kidding me?!?! There were thousands of beggars that wanted free items ever since the beginning of runescape. I think Tip It Times needs some more quality control to be honest...

First article was nice though ;)

Take a look at the items that you can lend and borrow. Tell me how many people had the nerve to ask to "borrow" your partyhat or godswords before item lending. There are obviously people who are going to beg for mith, addy, and low amounts of gold, but that's not what I was addressing. If you would have read correctly you would have understood I was talking about the items at the higher end of the spectrum. Do you have any well thought out arguments against my article? If so, please post them and I will look forward to reading them.

The article was written in order to bring it to question so that people can post different points of view on the subject and start a discussion about it. My diction did side towards the fact that item lending was a nuisance, but personally I believe, as Speedyshel said, the goods of item lending out weight the bad.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Your whining about the lending system because people are begging you for your God Sword? How easy we forget the days before the trade limit, where low leveled players followed high levels around chanting "Free stuff pl0x!".

Begging is nothing new. The only thing that's different now is the supposed "low levels with power they don't deserve".

Prism_Swords.png

I didn't really like the second article, for reasons similar to those states above. And Master_Smither, you don't need to get so defensive about it.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

I always thought that your prayers being drained when changing to ancient magic was because the prayer points had to be offered to Zaros for him to give us the favor of his magics. Kind of like how the prayers slowly drains when using it to gain favor from what ever god the character prays to.

BTW, a little off topic, maybe. I remember that when Juna got mad at the character for helping the goblins defy Bandos, her reasoning was that the character becomes the enemy of all gods. Bandos brought the goblins to RS and in doing so, he owns the goblins like the character would own a weapon. We did not have the right to defy Bandos of his possesion.

But if you remember, Zaros did the same thing. Itcharin brought the mahjarrats to RS but Zaros took them from him. Willingly or not, Zaros influenced the mahjarrats to defy their original god.

I like Zaros because he seems so defiant in a good way. Like our character.

Wow, nice First article. I don't know much about RuneScape God history, but that surely helped a bit. :thumbsup:

And it couldn't of come in a better time too; with all these quests/gods speculation across Tip.it.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

First article: Things like a Saradomin kiteshield... I always thought of them as the uniform of the various gods' armies rather than anything the gods themselves had created or worn/used.

Second article: I don't find the new generation of beggars any more tiresome than the old. I almost always have something lent out to one or other of my friends (usually my rarely used gs) so I can't often lend stuff to random strangers. Sometimes I'm able to lend something to a stranger who asks nicely; pushy or rude people always get a no and I never accept a payment for the loan. I don't worry about what people think when they see someone running about with my gs, as far as I'm concerned it's a tool not a status symbol and, I have no concern about them not having earned the millions they'd need to buy one for themselves. It's better that it's out there in the rs world helping someone out rather than gathering dust in my bank.

devorguilla.png

The first article cleared some things yes. I'm not much in RS history, although the God Wars is a thing I would love to know more about.

This article helps.

The second article is....late. But when I read it, I was like: damn, was that in 2007?! It seems like it was just a year ago al those updates.

Time goes fast :ohnoes:

But the item lending system is a different way of lending something to friends you did before. But now it's clear when you get the item back, without asking it on msn or RS the whole time.

And people asking and asking and asking for your item, is just a way of tell them no, and walk away.

A while ago there was a dude that asked for my whip. After telling hem no several times, I just walked away. You get some words from him, mostly like: noob, n00b, noeb and such.

I couldn't care less. I said no 5 times, and he still didn't understand.

That's the only negative effect: not all people on RS know when to stop asking. No=no. And some people just don't understand...

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture."

Umoria.png

This Tip.it Times gave me a very interesting read. It's cool to see where people believe that "climactic" point was where Runescape was changed indefinitely. However, I still continue to especially enjoy the accompanying fictional tales. Keep 'em coming please! :blink:

C O O L I I D G E

I might be persuaded to one day write a (semi-)fictional that in depth describes all the intricasies of the Godwars and most of all; what the events were that lead up to it...

I'll be taking a lot of artistic liberty of course ;)

For one; Isnt it really a Godswar, rather then Godfwars? As far as I know there were multiple gods in one massive all out war (kind of like MSSW)...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Before the removal of free trade, you would often see the equally annoying "free stuff pl0x". The reason why this has shifted from free stuff to free lending, is because people can't give that many stuff these days. Also, the GE has helped redirect our "junk" to people who actually have a use for it, lowering the amount of stuff we might give away. People wouldn't dare to ask to lend a certain item before, because it would be extremely simple to scam them. Now, there's a safe way to lend, so people, instead of asking for stuff, ask for the temporary use of a certain item.

I personally repeat "go to w2 Ge to borrow" or "already lending something" when I don't want to lend. I don't find the asking that annoying, even when I'm walking around with my D Claws. Also, the author left out another simple solution to this problem : unequipped the item. I think this is a step up from "free stuff pl0x", since the reason they asked for stuff was because you have a high level. You can take off your Claws, but not your Combat level ...

All things considered, I think lending was a great update with a minor annoyance, but in no way would I want it removed.