Our Future Professions

l0rd

Being a junior in high school, I've been thinking a lot about careers I will pursue in the future. I know most of the TIF community hasn't started post-high school education, so I though this would be appropriate (although this thread has probably been made before).

What do you want to do when you grow up and what are you going to do to get there?

If you already have a profession or invested a large amount of time on a track to a career, feel free to say how you got there, or if you could go back in time what career you would choose over your current one.

Personally...

[hide]Personally I've been thinking about careers such as neurology, pathology, anesthesiology, and urology, along with non-medical fields such as astronomy, evolutionary biology, astrophysics, cosmology, philosophy & theology (yes, I'd be a hobo), and always flirt with ideas of entrepreneurship and inventions.

How I will realize my career will be a somewhat lack of social life in college, shutting myself in, keeping academics the focal point of my very existence, and probably even to a greater extreme in graduate/medical school.

Anyways, as you can see by the large variety of my prospect careers, I'm still totally undecided, and may very well end up with a career not even listed.[/hide]

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like all the fields that interest me are the ones that are most difficult to find a steady job in. I think I would love to be a concept artist for movies/video games, a writer or an art teacher. Right now I'm majoring in art in university and am thinking of doubling up with a creative writing major too. My dad has some "connections" at Lucas Film and might see if he can get me an internship or something eventually.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'monna be a nuclear technician. US Navy, here I come! It's a growing field, growing pretty fast in the Navy, too, even with recent cutbacks on the other services. To get there, I've applied to some engineering schools with ROTC programs; get a degree and a commission in one package. Good deal. And once I'm out, nuclear power is expanding in the civilian world as well. So I'd be pretty much set.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Hm well. Soon 22 and going to uni (hopefully) in autumn hehe. I've been slacking a bit too much... Just working and studying here and there. Going for computer course (thinking of network-technician).

Building industry is probably great. Since if the estimates of future population will be correct, then there will need to be buildings!

Something that is dying, well, atleast in developed countries are industry type of jobs. A huge chunk of such jobs in my country has fled to eastern Europe or Asia. Another thing is auto mechanics, if you look at the development of cars: There will be more specialized into electronics. And another thing is, when the internal combustion engine is scrapped in the future and we go to such things as fuel-cells (yes i know it already exists, but on a tiny scale) there will be alot less work with mechanics.

And what developed countries should do is to invest it technology/research/future. Because, "easy" factory jobs will continue to flee.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I really don't know what I'm going to do. I'd never take a job I didn't enjoy, and I wouldn't count on doing to well in school. (Math brings the whole damn thing down)

Still, I'm kind of a penny pincher, I don't need 500k a year, and I don't plan on starting a family. (kids are [bleep]ing leeches)

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I've been interested in computer science and engineering for a while now, so I'll probably end up taking courses in one of the two when I go to University. Plus I like taking math and physic courses so it all ties in nicely for me. At one point I also considered Law but from what I heard it's mostly just a lot of paperwork which doesn't sound like it would be a lot of fun to do.

A lot of the Universities where I live have really good technology courses so getting a good education shouldn't be too hard. The chances of being employed in your field after getting a degree are also high so that's a bonus.

Film - directing or cinematography. Or even acting. Although I'd prefer being behind the camera. I want 10 bathrooms - I can [cabbage] ALL DAY!

I've been interested in making movies. And video games. And music. Hell, I just want to make something. Those three things keep me entertained all day long, so I think it's fair to give something back to those industries.

Currently at Uni doing some environmental science/geoscience based courses. Found some aspects of them to be seriously boring but others remarkably interesting. Toying with the idea of doing a language next year, which will replace some of the optional environmental science courses i picked this year. We'll see.

As for a career, i still have no idea although the military has always been an option i would potentially consider. Saying that, i know someone who does geology based work for a large oil/drilling company and she earns a mint. Leaving my options open.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I'm considering a career as an actuary, but the exams are going to be hell. you have to pass 8 insanely hard exams and study on your own. With passing requirements of 33-50% and reccomended 400 hours of study for EACH test, its a hell of a lot of pressure. But I love math so I definitely need a career in mathematics, and I suppose a career as an actuary is the ultimate challenge in the field of mathematics.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Right now I plan on becomming an Aerospace Engineer. After taking various engineering classes in high school I've determined that being an engineer is probably what I'm most suited for. I'll be attending the Missouri University of Science and Technology this coming fall.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Right now I want to be a computer hardware engineer, or something along those lines. At least something with computers, not 100% sure right now.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The sooner I can stop taking math classes the better. I like English. Get these numbers out of my face.

I really want to do everything there is to do that involves creative writing. Novelist is my best bet, but serialized television is also very tantalizing, not to mention a bit more steady as far as employment goes what with being employed by networks and stuff. I'll probably be going for teaching qualifications as well. I'll be that crazy English teacher that everybody loves by day, writer by night. Screw sleep.

p2gq.jpg

Engineer. Either mechanical, or computer.

However, I am a fairly good public speaker. I don't get nervous in front of people.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I want to major in Psychology and minor in Sociology and go to Law school. My ultimate goal is to be a politician and restore some sense of order.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

What ever gets me paid. I'll worry about it when I'm older.

Male prostitute!

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!