Our Future Professions

l0rd

Hopefully a professional poker player, it is literally my dream job, as I love the game and I would love being able to work whenever I want. And I'm pretty much unable to do anything I don't enjoy. I'm making quite a bit of money from it at the moment and am definitely good enough to make money, but I don't know if I could make enough to live from, as I can't play legally yet it's a bit tricky.

To get there I would just need to practice a lot, but studying is also a pretty important part if you want to make serious money.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahahah this topic always gets my parents in a royally awful mood :P My career choices are pretty simple, I'm a bass player, and I'll be going to the Musicians Institute soon, and I'll be the best bass player ever :P

I've always dabbled in writing. Mostly just poetry, so hopefully I'll be able to sell that a bit :P I use to be way into theology and stuff, but honestly, people don't really care that much, except for those people who like to throw insults instead of facts. So I expected to do that for the rest of my life, just debate with people and write books. But I can't take it anymore.

Mostly because People are stupid. And I'm including myself in that. :P

I am a physicist. For Nature, she calls to me. <3: (Well, I'm just a student atm, but that's the plan)

Although I've always been interested in psychology and politics, but I can't see myself working in either field.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Broadcasting Major here with Communication and Film Studies minors. So that means I can go into Radio, TV, Film, or Teaching Communication. Personally, I see myself going into Television and applying my film knowledge to my camera skills to become better but eventually I would love to be a producer.

I couldn't see myself doing anything else. My job is to play around with the latest technology. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

My dream job is to be a highschool history teacher. Second choice would be a butcher.
What about a high school history teacher butcher? ;)

That was one of the funniest things i have ever read on this forum, and not alot of people humour me!

I have no idea what i'd like to do, i'm starting some full time work in a supermarket where i work part time at the moment. Whilst i do that and earn some money it will give me more time to think about further education/degrees and then i might do something relevant to what i decide to ultimately study.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I am a physicist. For Nature, she calls to me. <3: (Well, I'm just a student atm, but that's the plan)

Although I've always been interested in psychology and politics, but I can't see myself working in either field.

Yeah me too. My parents say I should join politics after hearing one of my rants...but if that happened, this country would of been overtaken by my military coup. Politics is just too much talk. Too long.

Personally, my absolute dream job is to become a movie producer. Not just a director, but a producer to have complete ownership of my work. Then of course I'll write and direct. :thumbsup:

I may also go into business, but I'm not sure what I could do. Anyone know btw?

Thirdly would be a history teacher. Like previous posts, I hate teachers that don't care or aren't good at it. And I love history. <3:

Um, lastly if all else fails, I guess I could be a truck driver. Already know quite a bit of the business from my dad; hell, he even suggested me becoming a dispatcher as a part-time job during college. Just sit around giving drivers their loads and getting a percentage of their pay. :razz:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

eventually I would love to be a producer.

We should keep an eye out for each other. Directors need producers. All that money management would drive me crazy.

Nick, I would say the same for you, but if you want to be a slash, you're more like competition. Although being a slash on a big movie would be insane.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Guest Mrmegakirby

I have a fool proof plan. When Ieave university (with honors, of course), I shall become a drum teacher. (My drum teacher makes $22.50 a half hour, and works +5 hours a day teaching). From there, I will start a music shop. Eventually, I will hire other teachers (Guitar, piano, bass, ect) to teach students for me, in return for a portion of the payment. From there, I will eventually own a large building, with 20+ teachers and myself working. This is where the music shop comes into play... I start to rent out/sell equipment, and expand my shop to other locations in other cities. Pretty soon, I'll own a crap load of music stores, employ 100+ teachers, and eventually build some expensive recording studio that will cost fortunes to use.

Ok, so, it's not perfectly fool proof, but I have a backup plan:

Win the lottery.

So, way I see it, im set.

Right now I plan on becomming an Aerospace Engineer. After taking various engineering classes in high school I've determined that being an engineer is probably what I'm most suited for. I'll be attending the Missouri University of Science and Technology this coming fall.

That's the field I'm shooting for as well, can't decide where to go for schooling yet, but I want to eventually work for Boeing in Washington State.

I've also looked into being a Commercial pilot, Air Crash Investigator, Civil Engineer, Architect, or Landscape Architect, in that order.

If I don't make it as an engineer being a pilot is my second choice as well.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I'm 16 and I'd say I've already got more of a mind and training to be an engineer than most kids my age. Doesn't look too fun though. I want to be a musician, but that probably won't happen... I'll probably getting into game design. Writing 200-300 page reports on games actually looks pretty fun.

Edit: This might help anyone who has a few career choices in mind but isn't sure which exactly to follow.

wl7w9j.png

I am doing a PhD involving research on decision making, after which I'd like to span between research/teaching in academia and entrepreneurial activities in the commercial world. My current enterprise involves personality testing.

I'm currently 3 years into getting a degree in Civil Engineering and everything's going fine and all but if I could go back and do things differently I definitely would. I don't wanna say I regret going to college because it has helped shape me into the person I am today (mostly the people I met at college versus college itself, but still) but yeah, looking back on it I wish I would've just left the country upon graduating high school and gone around the world doing volunteer work or something like that.

In all honesty I'd be happy going to some small village in a European country and staying with a farming family exchanging my labor for food and housing...do that for a few years so I can learn their language and get to know some of the locals then move on and repeat that somewhere else. Either that or doing volunteer work with the Peace Corp or something. Basically my ideal life is one that's simple, I don't wanna spend my life making money so I could buy a bigger house and a better car but rather traveling the world and experiencing others' lifestyles. So right now it's looking like I'll get my degree in Civil Engineering, continue working with the company I currently work for (right now I'm just an engineering technician) and pay off my loans. Then once I am debt free I probably will try and pursue a lifestyle as mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph. Oh and I'd have a video recorder too because I love making movies so I'd probably do some sort of video diary.

I met a woman last week who set up a foundation in Ecuador after visiting for a while ( http://www.childrenofguayaquil.org/ ). She started it while a junior in college. She spoke about how they spend a lot of time integrating it and making it a community project, so she's passionate about getting to know the locals. She's still working at a large management consultancy firm currently, so it's not as if she has put her whole life on hold for it. Very inspiring, and the point is that you do not necessarily have to wait! And even if you do wait, as someone highly educated you may find that your skills are better used in other areas than (just) volunteering or labouring.

Psychology and architecture are the only things that have interested me this far in school, but I don't really know if I can get a decent job from either :P I'll probably spend most of my life with my parents, move out when I'm 40, and commit suicide shortly thereafter :thumbup:

There are lots of areas of psychology, some of which are well paid. Clinical psychologist, educational psychologist, sports psychologist, forensic psychologist, occupational/industrial psychologist. Psychology is also related to lots of other areas like neuroscience, economics, etc.etc. and if you're interested in finding stuff out you can do research in basically anything at all that involves humans.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

To be honest, I just finished high school and handed out a few resumés. I got the interview, gave an extremely terrible performance, and got a call a couple of days later. I was the newest employee of the Nestlé Ice Cream factory in Southern Ontario. The only change I would make in my life to this point is to not accept the jobs I have outside of palletizing, though. Seriously. The pay stinks but the work is easy and the people (with a few exceptions) are great and fun to work with.

Either that or I would have learned to skate even with my leg issues and played hockey, hopefully for a good-sized pay.

eventually I would love to be a producer.

We should keep an eye out for each other. Directors need producers. All that money management would drive me crazy.

Nick, I would say the same for you, but if you want to be a slash, you're more like competition. Although being a slash on a big movie would be insane.

I've already started my own production team (which has had great success so far) and have been offered an executive producer job of getting a late night tv show (go figure) started on campus. If you get your act together, come find me. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

As a university freshman, I'm currently just working through my Gen Ed courses, heh. :P

However, I intend to major in Chemistry and preferably will make a career of being a pharmaceutical chemist afterward; I've always loved lab work, and synthesizing new drugs/medicines greatly appeals to me. Later, when I start to grow old(ish), I want to "retire" and teach at a university, if at all possible. It's probably foolish of me to plan so far ahead, but this is what I wish, and I can only hope that it'll all work out for me. :)

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

Oh, and with all the AP courses I'll be taking, I'll start in college as a sophomore through sheer number of credits. Woo? Only things I might be behind on are math or science, but I might just man up and take them next year since I can change classes to pass/fail thanks to my 4.0 GPA this year.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

A game designer. My studies (which will be about both games and computer animations) will begin this year, if my application will be successful.

Hopefully it is, I'm pretty sure there will be a ton of applications for that and only 15 are accepted. Luckily I've always been very good at school and have some experience about game programming already, so it shouldn't be a problem for me. :)

I used to think I wanted to do academic scientific research, but I no longer have the appetite for it that I used to. I'd still be very interested to work in a scientifically related field, i.e. using my degree, but I don't know exactly what. Heck, I might still sell my soul to an investment bank or something but that wouldn't really be a long term career path, just a means. I'm fortunate enough that I can keep my head down and focus on my degree without worrying too much about jobs, I want to keep an open mind so I don't miss potential opportunities.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"