Your language of choice

obfuscator

Netbeans is the most awesome thing ever.

Much agreed! The Uni' is backing Eclipse as the IDE of choice for it's teachings but I can't stand it in comparison to Netbeans! There's something about the Eclipse GUI that I rather dislike...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eclipse is annoying, My uni provides visual studio for free and it's an epic program

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Netbeans is the most awesome thing ever.

Much agreed! The Uni' is backing Eclipse as the IDE of choice for it's teachings but I can't stand it in comparison to Netbeans! There's something about the Eclipse GUI that I rather dislike...

One of the one things I don't like about netbeans is how lazy it makes you - i type sout(tab) all the time now and I can't hard code a gui for the life of me.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

One of the one things I don't like about netbeans is how lazy it makes you - i type sout(tab) all the time now and I can't hard code a gui for the life of me.

Psh, who does that anyways?

Why would you spend 6 weeks on the code that is generated in 10 minutes?

To be honest, I've never done an application before Netbeans, espescially in java. Then I had to find a way to make some dynamic forms... and I learned why I hate application programming.

thisFunction().thatReturnsAnObject().isReallyAnnoying().especiallyWhen().thereIsAnArray()[0].youGetThePicture();

Worst part is that Gui's are usually several paragraphs of that long.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Hah, have to say I'd never heard of the 'sout(tab)' short-cut! That's got to come in handy!

I'd have to agree with the laziness, I've learnt the basics of GUI-Building without a designer and can understand the core-concepts, but I'd have to seriously revise it if I was to design one without NetBeans. It's simply so much easier to use the Designer that it's one of those things you overlook. I'd have to view that as an advantage though - it certainly allows you to focus on the other parts of your program rather than spending so much more time making that GUI just perfect. ;)

thisFunction().thatReturnsAnObject().isReallyAnnoying().especiallyWhen().thereIsAnArray()[0].youGetThePicture();

Love it! :smile:

Fluent in HTML/CSS, know my way around PHP, but nothing advanced, fairly useful at Javascript, due to Web Design.

I did some Actionscript quite a while back, never really understood it. Want to learn AppleScript ;).

All just a hobby of course.

My favourite: probably mSL, very easy :smile:.

Gotta ask - have all of you java heads done it because of runescape being java based?

I didn't choose java, actually. I wanted to take the AP Computer Science class at my high school and it was taught with java so.. I didn't exactly have a say in that. But I ended up liking it.

Exactly the same here.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

PHP, JavaScript, Java, (X)HTML, CSS, SQL and bash scripting are the ones I know, I like PHP the most because it's so simple. I'm learning C/C++, in fact now I have to return "The C programming language second edition" to the library because there are 3 holds on it since a month ago. :( I'll miss you. I love technical writing.

I think I have that book around here somewhere. My dad does this stuff for a living, we probably have 100 books about different languages.

I've done bits with HTML (like a working text site with pics), I believe that what I learned is horrendously out of standard so yeah. Fiddled with VB (5 I believe) until I somehow killed the interface I was using and it never came back (I think because the HD died...)

I have a book about learning BlitzBasic to code games with only it didn't come with the compiler and I'm too cheap to pay the $10 for it.

(I was going to make a topic, but I guess I'll just ask here)

What language should I learn? I want to at least be able to make games that would run on a graphing calculator (so assembly or C I believe) or design a simple RPG game, maybe eventually design an open-source d20 game master app or summat.

I plan on taking my school's programming (and network/repair) class next year, I think they teach some form of C and possibly Java.

What language should I learn? I want to at least be able to make games that would run on a graphing calculator (so assembly or C I believe) or design a simple RPG game, maybe eventually design an open-source d20 game master app or summat.

If you want to write games for graphing calculators, I'd suggest going to ticalc.org and reading the stuff there. It might be more difficult than learning Java, I don't know.

I can help get you started with Java Game programming, most games are designed around a loop, and I think I still have my source from the game I did in high school. I could strip out my game logic and let you put your own stuffs in.

(That might save you 2-3 days worth of time).

If you learn C, and you know it well, the jump to java shouldn't be too difficult. There are some things in C that Java doesn't use, but are good to know for your understanding of the inner workings of a computer.

♪♪ And I'm not done

C++, because it is all I know, albeit I know very very very little. ( I Just started teaching myself it a week or so ago.)

Oh, and I am decent in HTML. Forgot that.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I know C/C++, Python, HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript and PHP. I'm going to do a little game project with one of my friends. It will be a basic four in a row game with some more or less funny twists. :) I do the coding and he does the graphics and music.

I'm one of the few programmers who doesn't use an IDE. I use emacs for writing the code, awesome thing once you learn the extremely complex commands - for example quit is Ctrl-X Ctrl-C. However it supports pretty much any programming language in existance, has a ton of features (it's more like an operating system than an application - you can for example chat on IRC with it) and even more with plugins.

I'm one of the few programmers who doesn't use an IDE. I use emacs for writing the code, awesome thing once you learn the extremely complex commands - for example quit is Ctrl-X Ctrl-C.

Intriguing, we used emacs for Haskell in the Functional Programming course. It was pretty nifty as the Haskell-compiler could be run with a nice shortcut from within it, making design-run cycles a lot easier. Unfortunately, I was already used to an IDE so I'm biased towards them! :P I can't quite fathom supporting a text-editor, albeit advanced over an IDE, but it is pretty cool to see that you prefer it! :)

I'm one of the few programmers who doesn't use an IDE.

Yeah, me too. By the time the rest of my C++ class can log in and start Visual Studio, I've already borrowed a book and made it through what's covered in the first half of the class. (Granted, the school's computers are slower than cryogenic molasses when it comes to that.)

On the down side, that results in a lot of NetHack in class.

I <3 NetHack. I also play it in school. I'm not too good at it though :(

I'm taking an intro to C++ class, and a PHP/MySQL class this term, so hopefully I can find a practical use before forgetting it all.

Coding for Tip.it. :razz:

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing Java, PHP/MySQL, JavaScript and maybe some C++ and Python next year when I go on to the next school. Imagine, no real lessons, just screwing around in something I already understand! :D

I've made some progress teaching myself C, I almost understand pointers and their usage now, I'm just getting into using them to access arrays. (Like *(a+j) or (*a+j) or whatever it was instead of a[j] or j[a]).

For anyone having problems understanding C pointers, this is an excellent resource. I can't recommend it enough.

C2b6gs7.png

For anyone having problems understanding C pointers, this is an excellent resource. I can't recommend it enough.

I understood pointers, until one day I was passed a pointer to a pointer. Talk about a headache.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I understood pointers, until one day I was passed a pointer to a pointer. Talk about a headache.

I aplologize for insertion of bad meme, but I couldn't resist.

[hide]

Yo dawg, I herd u leiked pointers.

[/hide]

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti