New Skill Research - Roleplaying / Dungeon Master?

me

The purpose of this thread is to present my guess on what the new skill is alongside my perhaps more useful evidence base. If you want the new skill to remain a complete surprise then don't read on.

General Premises - Known Facts about the New Skill

This section deals with three premises which should be taken into account by everyone who is trying to get an idea of what the new skill is

• The first premise is that the new skill is for both F2P and P2P (see evidence for second premise).

• The second premise is that the new skill is based on the key gameplay mechanic of the cancelled micro-transactional MMO ThirdScape, which means that whatever the new skill is it would have to work well as a gameplay dynamic behind an entire MMO.

Evidence (RSOF QF 13-14-746-60289341, Mod MMG Q&A, question by The 39th Guy + MechScape Post #30 + statements like this one):

To Mod MMG:

You a little while said this about Thirdscape:

“We are actually working on a whole new game mechanic. I can't give much away, but it could be an entire game in its own right, or just a skill, or both, who knows [laughs]. That will be for free and members. But, yeah, that should be this year hopefully, needs to be awesome though. I don't want to give it away though because it's really exciting and no one has done it so we're kind of keeping that one close to our chest.

“Basically, this was going to be our 2010 game -- we were going to create another game -- but we said, this just ties in so nicely with "RuneScape" and it's cool, the community would love this, so let's not make it another game, let's just put this in the game.”

Here are the questions:

1. What are the current plans about this?

This is still very much on track and looking really fun the last time I saw it.

2. When should we expect this?

Soon.

3. Will we be told about it when it happens?

I suspect you won’t be able to miss it.

Mod MMG: Yes the new skill and game mechanic will be f2p

• The third premise is that it does not have to begin with "B" and is not sailing.

Evidence (RSOF QF 13-14-745-60279545, Mod MMG Q&A):

Q) Mason7575

Does the new skill realy start with a "B" or was that just humor?

Mason

------------------------

A) Hi Mason,

No it doesn't, it's just a rumor.

I can't say what the new skill is either expect that it's not sailing :)

• The fourth premise is that it is completely different to existing skills, current popular lines of thinking and nobody has done it before.

Evidence (RSOF QF 13-14-745-60279545, Mod MMG Q&A):

It is probably true that nobody has come close so far as to guessing the new skill, but that's probably because it just hasn't been done before.
(about ThirdScape) I don't want to give it away though because it's really exciting and no one has done it so we're kind of keeping that one close to our chest.

Specific Assumptions - Extrapolating from known information which might not be about the new skill

• The first assumption is that Jagex's trademarks for Never Ending, Infinite Dungeon and/or Dungeon Master relate to the new skill.

Evidence: The first two were trademarked in March 2009 (source) prior to their announcement of ThirdScape's cancellation in May 2009 (source). Mod Korpz was asked if those two were related to FunOrb and said "Not to my knowledge, in truth I don't know why these are trade marked" (FOOF QF 7-8-674-36116).

• The second assumption is that Jagex's plan from March 2004 for "Randomly generated scenarios, where a new adventure is generated for you and your friends each time you go on it. Form an adventuring party and go on your own personal quest" (source) relates to the new skill.

Evidence: None really, but as the game engine is shared between RuneScape and MechScape/Stellar Dawn it is possible that improvements made for one project has allowed for stuff in RuneScape which weren't previously feasible.

The Roleplay / Dungeon Master theory - My guess on how it all ties together

What could this mean? Well, possibly something to do with questing in instanced worlds which are generated dynamically. It would mean groups of players could go on custom dungeon quests, possibly with the skill being that needed for a game master to be able to control the adventure. As such the skill would be for the "dungeon master" or adventurer/roleplayer to be able to better control the adventure (maybe it'd allow more people in the adventure, higher level enemies, better loot, etc). This would also tie in with MMG's line that "the community would love this" as it is very community-focussed, but he could just have meant that players would like it.

...So, what are your thoughts on the premises, the assumptions and the resulting theory? I've tried to keep them separate so people can discuss the merits of the three separately and come up with their own ideas based on them.

• Like 1

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

I remember Jagex once said something about a minigame with constantly changing enviroment, wich turned out to be Stealing Creation.

Maybe they want to make it really different this time?

I think it is possible to be the new skill ^_^

It's defiantly not a theory I have heard before....... and sounds interesting!

But I'm just not sure how it would relate to being a skill? doesn't seem very trainable..... although that does not mean it's not a possibility.

It's amazing how close they are keeping this one a secret other than a cancelled game that not enough was done with for clues to be around.... and a post they made in 2004! what happened to the good old leaky Jagex!? :P

I very much have to say..... lets just wait and see!

sig2webzx7.jpg

But I'm just not sure how it would relate to being a skill? doesn't seem very trainable..... although that does not mean it's not a possibility.

More adventures = more xp = more levels = better quests.

ren_tbv450.png

I need to stop Tip.It'ing at 7am when I wake up. I read the thread as "New Skill: Research" and did a short jump for a joy thinking this week's update was out early and it was the new skill.

Interesting idea nonetheless.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Nice post.

It could even be something like singing/chanting. Sounds stupid, but it could be implemented in numerous ways.

Stat recover, boosts to levels, repairing crystal items (allowing for future crystal weapons), boosting others, speeding up certain things (farming grow times for example) and so on. Would make a killer advancement to the elven story as well.

Well I can hope.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Nice post.

It could even be something like singing/chanting. Sounds stupid, but it could be implemented in numerous ways.

Stat recover, boosts to levels, repairing crystal items (allowing for future crystal weapons), boosting others, speeding up certain things (farming grow times for example) and so on. Would make a killer advancement to the elven story as well.

Well I can hope.

Do you think singing/chanting would work as the game dynamic to a whole micro-transactional MMO and fit with the other premises?

ren_tbv450.png

Nice post.

Well I can hope.

Remember what ever it is would have been able to stand on it;s own ground as a game..... so not really something that supports another

sig2webzx7.jpg

I'd love instances, ok it would look a bit like WoW maybe, but I'd love it. Will make rs quite a bit more populair I think.

Thats actually a point that puts me off a bit more... if it's a "bit like WoW" would Mark Gerhard really be claiming it's something that's not been seen before?

sig2webzx7.jpg

Thats actually a point that puts me off a bit more... if it's a "bit like WoW" would Mark Gerhard really be claiming it's something that's not been seen before?

But if I'm right in WoW it isn't a skill and the players don't have control over the adventure (I've never played WoW).

ren_tbv450.png

Remember what ever it is would have been able to stand on it;s own ground as a game..... so not really something that supports another

Like summoning, slayer, hp or herblore?

They all have to intertwine with other skills or its practically impossible to level.

Whats herblore without combat or other skills? Nothing at all.

Summoning, HP, Herblore and Slayer are pretty much support skills. Alone there practically useless but with other skills there amazing.

@me I don't see how it wouldn't. Combine small boosts from prayer, herblore and summoning as well as small bits crafting, agility, smithing and other manufacturing skills into a skill would work. Make some of them have area effects similar to lunar/ancient spells as well as the ability to team chant/sing (adding to the community changes) for larger boosts.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Like summoning, slayer, hp or herblore?

They all have to intertwine with other skills or its practically impossible to level.

Whats herblore without combat or other skills? Nothing at all.

Summoning, HP, Herblore and Slayer are pretty much support skills. Alone there practically useless but with other skills there amazing.

@me I don't see how it wouldn't. Combine small boosts from prayer, herblore and summoning as well as small bits crafting, agility, smithing and other manufacturing skills into a skill would work. Make some of them have area effects similar to lunar/ancient spells as well as the ability to team chant/sing (adding to the community changes) for larger boosts.

Yes but it has been sad that this skill was originally going to be it's own game, unlike all the other skills which where made or runescape from the start.

I am sure this skill CAN work with others, but it's best to look for skills that can stand on their own feet, and you could say "we could me a game of this"

sig2webzx7.jpg

So basically players are placed on an instanced world, and the world provide random quests/dungeons for players to do? Hmm...Guild Wars 2 is actually doing almost the same thing.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

If the new skill is roleplaying, then I'll definitely take it. It looks and sounds really fun to me, lol.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

What good post. It would be a great skill if it's implemented well. The chances you're right are small of course, but your guess is at least supported with some good points. I certainly hope you're right.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

A Roleplaying - Dungeon Master Skill now that is something that give the game longevity and keep players playing for years to come.

Best new idea for the new skill.

While this seems very plausible and a welcomed addition to the Runescape game, I cannot help but think that all of that has been done.

Infinite dungeons have been around a long time but the first noticeable game to incorporate that game mechainic well (in my opinion) was Diablo. These instanced dungeons were amazing in that every time you played, it was like playing a new game. Of course the load times were ridiculous.

Dungeon master with the ability to create player made scenarios. Well let us go to the direct source of RPGs, Dungeons and Dragons. They released a game called Neverwinter Nights that allowed players to make whatever they wanted (including quests with with ridiculous amounts of reward experience).

That of course does NOT mean you are not onto something. You cery well could be right, I just think the Implementation would be the thing that was different from what has already been.

Not to mention this falls in line with what I would think might be called Adventuring/Exploring. Fits the skill I came up with perfectly :)

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

That of course does NOT mean you are not onto something. You cery well could be right, I just think the Implementation would be the thing that was different from what has already been.

Not to mention this falls in line with what I would think might be called Adventuring/Exploring. Fits the skill I came up with perfectly :)

Yes, the implementation is key. I'm not sure of an awesome way for such a thing to be implemented in a unique way that integrates well with RuneScape, but if Jagex does then that's all the is required.

ren_tbv450.png