Next generation consoles and games.

sarg1010

I wouldn't count Nintendo out yet. What if they made a good console?

That's what we said after the Gamecube.

But now they have the income and have already said their next console will be HD, so i wouldn't count it out yet. (And whats the hate about NGC? It had better hardware, just not 3rd party support)

The problem is likely to be that they now have the income, and so are much more likely now to do just more of the same. They know they can make money off of casual crap so will continue to do so.They've said it will be HD, but that probably means the console will look at best like the PS3/360 does now so they'll still be a generation behind in power.

I can understand why people would buy a Wii for Nintendo first party games if they absolutely love them, but those games are like islands in a sea of crap. Though after playing some Twilight Princess I thought it was pathetic in this day and age for it to have scrolling text like a DS game. Would voice acting have been so very terrible?

Zelda and Mario are the greatest IPs ever made. Honestly, Nintendo can churn out the same [bleep]ing storyline making some minor gameplay adjustments to adapt to the platform and make billions.

"Friendly" competition they say...besides I prefer to do some sort of physical activity with a girl rather than just sit there. :razz:

You have no idea what you're talking about :lol:

That's exactly why they're good games. Every new Zelda and Mario game always keeps everything good about the previous titles and simply adds to it, usually having one small innovation that affects gameplay drastically but not so much to the point where if you don't like it, it completely ruins the game. In Twilight Princess that was the turning into a wolf, in Spirit Tracks it was the train. Neither games were terrible, and only had small innovations here and there while keeping the Zelda formula, pretty much making it so that if you've ever liked a Zelda game, you'll probably like this one and also get to experience something new at the same time. Then this is taken and magnified more than it should be with the Pokemon series. If you liked the first one's you should definitely like the newer ones because they're pretty much the same game.

However it seems like this year Nintendo is trying to revolutionize the Metroid series, because The Other M looks like it will be drastically different from any Metroid game made in the past ten years. I've also been following the release of the new Zelda game, and it seems that it will be much different than any other Zelda game, based on the information I've received so far. More importantly, they seem to be deviating from the traditional dungeon-field-dungeon Zelda formula.

Then there are great games like Tales of Symphonia that just make you look like a close-minded, elitist douchebag when saying that the Wii isn't for true gamers. People have different styles of playing video games. Some people hate online play, and some people love it. Some people love good graphics, some don't care. Some people want to be competitive when they play games, and some don't really care as long as they have fun. The Wii just caters to a specific audience that DOES cover all ages and genders, and thinking otherwise is just stupid. That said, so do the 360 and the PS3, and there are great games for all consoles, and terrible games for all consoles as well. Saying one is better than the other is pointless and starts an argument that never gets anywhere.

wl7w9j.png

Gone are the days of sub-£20 games for almost all platforms. And I think the reason for that is going to be the reason we won't see any new consoles for a very long time. A lot of gamers are being priced out of the market. Even at the moment the Ps3 and to an extent, the 360 if you include Live are very expensive compared to consoles of the same age (Ps2 at 4 years old compared to the Ps3 at 4 years old). Until the prices come down, I can't see any feasible way for any company to make anything better than what we already have. The Ps3 is not being pushed to its limits, so making something more powerful and more expensive would be market suicide.

Also, don't count out Nintendo. I don't quite get why people leave them out of the console wars, when they are the market leader. I can compare it to bands that start with a niche audience but soon become liked by everybody, and then the original niche abandons them. It seems exactly the same with most gamers and Nintendo. Now it has mass appeal, it has been abandoned by 'gamers'. If I could afford one, it would be the console I would buy in a heartbeat. As the Wii has done, and as other companies are now trying to copy, Graphics do not make the system, innovation does. Straight up in a fight, the Ps3 should beat the Wii, but it has not, and has failed miserably because it is a Ps2 with better graphics, with little or no innovation.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The next gen are things like xbox natal. I know that Fable 3 will be on xbox natal. As for 3D, that is already out as we speak.

You do know that Natal is going to be an addon right...?

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

The amount of shovelware on the Wii is hilarious. When you go into a shop and see games of "Im a celebrity! get me out of here!" its hard to take the console seriously. I actually saw a game version of Golden Balls. The actual show is so bad that I cannot imagine somebody wanting to play a game of it. How can it possibly even work? The game show revolves around bluffing to other people.

I usually find myself picking up at least one of the new consoles at some point or another. So yes, I will.

Although like others have already said, I don't expect to see them coming out for at least a few more years still, as there is only so much you can really build upon. Well, hopefully their not too expensive.. :unsure:

And Nintendo is still the greatest games developer if you ask me, and i would count on a new handheld this year and a new home console next year.

You're kidding right? A new handheld and home console would've been announced way back in '08. Nobody should be considering a new console until at least 2013.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

The amount of shovelware on the Wii is hilarious. When you go into a shop and see games of "Im a celebrity! get me out of here!" its hard to take the console seriously. I actually saw a game version of Golden Balls. The actual show is so bad that I cannot imagine somebody wanting to play a game of it. How can it possibly even work? The game show revolves around bluffing to other people.

However, despite that, it does work somehow. You cannot dispute the fact that the Wii has managed to outsell both the Ps3 and 360. It is in my opinion at the next level of console. The Ps3 and 360 are just gaming consoles, whereas the Wii has managed to go past that to a sort of home entertainment system. Much like many families end up having DVD players near their Televisions, people will end up having Wii's, or the next generation which adapts the formula (natal). It has brought gaming to generations that would without it never game at all. It has revolutionised the way we now think of advancing technology, no longer about graphics but about innovation.

McDonald's is the best restaurant because it sells the most
Depending on your definition of best, then yes it is.
i should've checked your location

*does not get the joke*

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

And Nintendo is still the greatest games developer if you ask me, and i would count on a new handheld this year and a new home console next year.

You're kidding right? A new handheld and home console would've been announced way back in '08. Nobody should be considering a new console until at least 2013.

I'll bet Nintendo is just planning on introducing ANOTHER version of the DS, which isn't exactly a bad thing, however.

However, despite that, it does work somehow. You cannot dispute the fact that the Wii has managed to outsell both the Ps3 and 360.

Yes, but of all of those sales, to all of those people, how many actually play their Wii anymore? Especially those that got it on launch day and after. I know I got mine a little while after it came out, and I hardly ever play it. Granted, it is at my dad's house, but whenever I ask them if they play it, they say "no, not for a long time."

My 2 cents :)

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Hey man, it's indisputable. Wii sold more so it's better.

Yes. I am not being narrow minded, but thinking of the broader picture. It has been priced the best meaning it has a larger audience who can afford it. It has had many games produced for it which can be used by a wider variety of players, which in turn has lead to more sales. You seem to be thinking purely of 'oh x has better games so it is better!' or 'x has more power so is better'. Please, when you want to make sny comments or to be sarcastic, don't bother. The Wii, cannot be disputed has been sold to more people. Which in turn means more people want to buy it, yes? Which means to more people, it is better. 100,000 60 year olds will say that Wii is better, while 20,000 16 year olds will say the 360 is better. The majority will mean that overall, statistically, Wii is better.

This is getting off-topic, but please, don't bother trying to be sarcastic.

It is very obvious that Natal, which is the current 'next-gen' is inspired by the success of the Wii. This in turn leads me to believe that future next-gen will also be inspired by it.

zqXeV.jpg

Ugh, depends. If this project Natal bs will become the new benchmark in gaming, then [bleep] it, I'm sticking to my PS3. Otherwise I'll wait for prices to drop and the versions to be a bit better (and devoid of possible bugs/production failures) before buying anything.