Uses for the staff of light

halo475

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you have to constantly wear the staff in order for the special to work? Or could you switch to a different weapon when you use the special.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Yeah, using for Rex would be good to.

If you have a dagannoth task solo tribird dagannoth kings with Full Slayer helmet + staff of light = win.

The special is pointless there as rex will only ever get 1 or 2 hits off on you. So SGS or EE would be far better.

And CoG+void mace is still the best spell/weapon for maging.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

No CoG= No charge. Charging isn't that much of a hassle but I'll definately use SoL+surge over claws now. Especially because Surge can hit high without you wearing a cape of guthix which is something most Rex magers must have forgotten at least once.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Yeah, using for Rex would be good to.

If you have a dagannoth task solo tribird dagannoth kings with Full Slayer helmet + staff of light = win.

The special is pointless there as rex will only ever get 1 or 2 hits off on you. So SGS or EE would be far better.

And CoG+void mace is still the best spell/weapon for maging.

Unless you dont mind the fact that you have to spend massive amounts of time in Pest Control to get it, and that by using Claws of Guthix your allighning yourself with Guthix.

Since I dont like either of those I'll be sticking with the staff of light: it looks good (altho it strikes some similatrities with saradoministic items, so im not very happy), it has a good blade, saves my runes, and is the first staff so far that has a special attack.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

"Aligning" yourself to Guthix? That's the dumbest reason I've ever heard.

Unless you dont mind the fact that you have to spend massive amounts of time in Pest Control to get it

2 hours. 3 If you're not high enough to enter a decent clan.

Retired

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Unless you dont mind the fact that you have to spend massive amounts of time in Pest Control to get it

Thats anywhere from 2 - 10M of wasted time. I'd rather just buy the SoL when it becomes cheaper.

The bottom line is, if youre going to mage in safe PvP (clan wars, castle wars, soul wars), you are eventually going to want to buy this staff. With all things considered, it is the best overall mage staff. Everything else is just for a niche now.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

You do understand the only spell which allows you to hit higher then normal god spells on the standard book is fire surge at level 95 right? With charge 30 vs 31 and thats with the 15% bonus.

Cost wise even with 1/8 free spells its the same.

Only reason to use surge is for the exp, but you run the risk of getting crashed by a CoG'er with void mace.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I was going to say this. If you hook up with an expert clan, it goes VERY fast.

punitivedsig.png

Dumb? maybe for you, I aint using a staff some lunatics made, who fight to maintaint balance on a godforsaken island and worship some flying metal skull that symbolises nature and tries to "balance" out everything. I swear Guthix isnt as lame as he looks, he is quite a nice god actually, and a cool one. If only he didnt he didn't have all those foolish followers ruining his image he would be more appealing to the modern scaper.

If you read the description carefully you can see that the power harnessed by casting a god spell is actually "borrowed". Most borrowed things must be returned to their owners, in one way or another. And I am NOT going to pledge my eternal loyalty to Guthix just because I killed some fiends using his claw spell.

And its really only 2-3 hours? Sounds too litle.?

(60/2.5)*4=96 points/hour

You only need 250 for the mace.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Thats anywhere from 2 - 10M of wasted time. I'd rather just buy the SoL when it becomes cheaper.

The bottom line is, if youre going to mage in safe PvP (clan wars, castle wars, soul wars), you are eventually going to want to buy this staff. With all things considered, it is the best overall mage staff. Everything else is just for a niche now.

You make 5m an hour? Nice. Even if you make that the SoL is still more expensive than the Void mace. Just saying.

Retired

Dumb? maybe for you, I aint using a staff some lunatics made, who fight to maintaint balance on a godforsaken island and worship some flying metal skull that symbolises nature and tries to "balance" out everything. I swear Guthix isnt as lame as he looks, he is quite a nice god actually, and a cool one. If only he didnt he didn't have all those foolish followers ruining his image he would be more appealing to the modern scaper.

If you read the description carefully you can see that the power harnessed by casting a god spell is actually "borrowed". Most borrowed things must be returned to their owners, in one way or another. And I am NOT going to pledge my eternal loyalty to Guthix just because I killed some fiends using his claw spell.

If you have completed "the chosen commander" then you already owe guthix your life for being alive, so borrowing a little of his immense power doesnt sound all tat bad, and the doesn't "look" like something, he can shapeshift. He is most commonly under butterfly or floating skull form.

And i would like to see the avarage scaper dealing with a worldwide pest control, because that is what will happen if those lunatics vanish.

The staff looks bad and the void mace is related to guthix etc? Why would you even care lol. I really think you're taking gods and stuff like that way too seriously.

So basically the staff's melee stats suck so the special isn't as good as it seems, its mage damage bonus may be 15% but other staves still outhit it and it's a little expensive. I thought it'd have more uses but apparently it's only good for mage slaying or something.

Would still use it for dks though, 1 less damage but not having to cast charge and 1/8 runes saved doesn't sound bad. I mean are crashers actually going to be able to crash you just because your max is 1 lower? Just flash 15% mage or leech mage or w/e.

2dvjurb.png

If you have completed "the chosen commander" then you already owe guthix your life for being alive, so borrowing a little of his immense power doesnt sound all tat bad, and the doesn't "look" like something, he can shapeshift. He is most commonly under butterfly or floating skull form.

And i would like to see the avarage scaper dealing with a worldwide pest control, because that is what will happen if those lunatics vanish.

Hm, well I agree on the worldwide pest control thing.

But no way I owe anything to guthix, I did "the chosen commander" and what? in what part exactly did we owe him our lives? because all I saw was me helping Zanik to destroy some Bandos avatar, latar Juna said to me that Guthix "chose to spare me" because I have some higher purpose. I tend to see that as another confirmation of my theory: Guthix, spared me while seeking balance, so I could join The True Lord, once he returns and reign over many. Besides, I dont buy most of the things some talking serpent says to me, so meh. I dont owe him anything, he did me a favor (IF he did it) which I didnt ask, ill see that as a present at the most and be grateful (not really).

Hm, well I agree on the worldwide pest control thing.

But no way I owe anything to guthix, I did "the chosen commander" and what? in what part exactly did we owe him our lives? because all I saw was me helping Zanik to destroy some Bandos avatar, latar Juna said to me that Guthix "chose to spare me" because I have some higher purpose. I tend to see that as another confirmation of my theory: Guthix, spared me while seeking balance, so I could join The True Lord, once he returns and reign over many. Besides, I dont buy most of the things some talking serpent says to me, so meh. I dont owe him anything, he did me a favor (IF he did it) which I didnt ask, ill see that as a present at the most and be grateful (not really).

From speaking with juna after you save zanik from that cave, you gtet to know that each species belngs to the god who brought them to that plane. In case of goblins, it was Bandos. In case of humanhs, it was Guthix. By choosing to defy the gods by helping zanik save Dorgheshuun from bandos, you became the enemy of the gods. That in conjuction with all of the other quests leaves all gods but the Desert gods and Zaros to hate you, and Guthix could have chosen to terminate you as soon as you became is enemy by challenging him. But he didnt, and so you are in debt of him.

Lmfao.

Zerker_jane.png

God forbid thinking RS players that I'm a lunatic because I cast the best spell at Dagannoth Rex. And it's closer to 3h I thought mace was only 200 points it has been a while^^

Retired

Unless you're using Zuriels for PvP, SoL is the best staff ignoring the +3 difference with master wand.

Remember, most people use ice barrage. In this case the 15% damage DOES matter.

And again, the spec is useful for tanking in clan wars / safe PvP. I dont know how many times I have to repeat this. If you're properly tanking, melee bonuses are irrelevant.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The staff looks bad and the void mace is related to guthix etc? Why would you even care lol. I really think you're taking gods and stuff like that way too seriously.

So basically the staff's melee stats suck so the special isn't as good as it seems, its mage damage bonus may be 15% but other staves still outhit it and it's a little expensive. I thought it'd have more uses but apparently it's only good for mage slaying or something.

Would still use it for dks though, 1 less damage but not having to cast charge and 1/8 runes saved doesn't sound bad. I mean are crashers actually going to be able to crash you just because your max is 1 lower? Just flash 15% mage or leech mage or w/e.

When crashing occurs, it's not about who actually gets the most kills. See, even if you were to split the kills 50-50, you both suffer. You kill twice as fast, you get half the kills, and you spend twice as much time waiting for spawns. This slows both teams down significantly, and truthfully, neither team wants that.

People crash either solely to cause grief for others (rare at DKs), or to try to force you to surrender your world. In other words, it's about perceived strength, not actual strength. If they think they have the advantage, they'll keep trying until you give up. Even if you start winning, they'll feel like it's a temporary turn of luck (think the gambler who flips 50 tails, he figures he'll get a heads sooner or later despite his 50 tails being statistically irrelevant). So they'll keep trying, which is what you DON'T want. What you need is to match them, point for point, so that everything points to the fact they have no advantage.

This means you need to show as much power as possible, and once people understand that Claws of Guthix +10% > Fire Surge + 15%, Staff of Light and Fire Surge won't cut it.

Now, you could bring both - Void Mace if you're crashed, Staff of Light otherwise, but this is pointless IMO. If you aren't suffering a crash, Black Salamander is a far superior weapon. With the prayer gear available to us now, you can easily get +30 prayer without crippling your defense. 3 prayer potions can last you a solid hour of killing Rex with protect melee.

The SoL is also not as fantastic at corp as people are making it out to be. People forget corp does not tank the same person the entire kill, he switches targets.

I tank corp when I go to masses, using D-hide and protect melee. He usually doesn't hit me much at all, and after about 5-6 hits he switches targets.

The only way the SoL special would be of any use at corp is if everyone on the team was using it. In that case you'd sacrifice ALOT of attack power. Kills would take twice as long and thus twice as much (or more) damage negating the point of using it.

People can TRY to say its useful for other places, but really the staff is designed for 2 things. Slayer and PvP mages. Anything other than that and there is likely a better option available than the staff for that situation, even ZGWD.

What about soloing rex though as i usually use slayer dart there (i've never done pc and dont plan on doing so)

If you use slayer dart, you are either solo-ing, or you WILL be crashed. My friend and I were duo maging and had Void Maces. We were crashed by a similar team who thought they could win because they had Extreme Pots... well, we had them too.

If you're solo-ing, Salamander > Slayer Dart. Also, you might still get crashed...

I'd like to make a short correction. Staff of Light might be good for magic slaying, that remains to be seen. Staff of Light is inferior for PvP mages, though. For hybrids, Ice Barrage is used to freeze and force a change in prayer. For both of these, Master Wand is better (more accuracy, and you're not going for damage here). For pure damage, Zuriel's is better AND has a similar effect on your opponent's melee DPS, but also affects his or her range DPS. In Safe PvP, it's great. Zuriel's is still better, but some don't like the degrading. However, in safe PvP, Master Wand is usually still sufficient.

Staff of Light is THE staff for bursting though. Bursting with Staff of Light and Combat Robes sounds incredible.

You guys do realise, that even thought you worship Saradomin/Zamorak, you`re still a guthixian? A modernist one.

"Modernists are probably the largest group of Guthixians, because most player characters are modernists. They believe in balance more loosely, and will tend to side with one of the other two major gods. They acknowledge Saradomin and Zamorak as the new gods of order and chaos. (Most player character Guthixians are modernists, and thus often worship either Zamorak or Saradomin as much as they worship Guthix). One of the best examples of a non-player modernist is Kara-Meir, as she chooses to follow neither Saradomin nor Zamorak, but refuses to ever intentionally side with "evil". "

(Kara-Meir only appears in the book.)

Because what Guthix wants is a perfect balance between order and chaos, and since players tend to side with both of them, they are Guthixians even thought they wouldnt call themselves one.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Here's the real question... how the hell does a wyrm with no hands/pockets hold a staff?

Probably ate it while tunneling through ancient, underground ruins.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000