Tip.it Times 21 February 2010

Mirror

i love you for this topic

it resonates with my own feelings

i am 99 slayer, i do have a firecape. when i was slaying most slayers had a firecape due to its advantages - you take everyone you can get

non firecape owners at this level are usually down to a dislike of jad (not inability to do) or giving up after a couple of attempts

jad with todays equipment pots food etc is relatively easy, a lvl 93 slayer has made piles of money to do this (unless they bought their account perhaps)

slow connections and disabilities were predominantly made up excuses to try to influence jagex without saying in truth - i cant be bothered to do this

if jagex wanted more staffs they would make these campable, they would make the tasks more readily available either by increasing chance directly or indirectly by allowing more blocking for higher levels

incidently i havent had an ice task yet as i blew all my points on getting 99

i absolutely love the way that jagex are linking the game more - they did it with skills and quests - why not other content

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

Macro-economically is where things get interesting, because you have to assess a trend accross a population. It may seem insignificant for supply, but a portion of supply always remains with the merchanters at any given point. This is how supply is restricted, and the more popular an item becomes with merchanters, the more restricted it is.

but back to the main point at hand: why are so few people discussing this article of the tip.it times? :P

New evidence emerges that the distribution of the Ice wyrm tasks, and the accessability of the staff of light are the main concern:

Duradel now has a small chance of giving ice strykewyrms as a task, but they're quite uncommon. Kuradal is still your best bet by far if you want to fight them.

Clearly all 93+ slayers are wanted by Jagex to fight the wyrms. :)

A very good article.

Although I'm not a member or anything, I agree wholeheartedly with the concept.

Skills are mostly a measure of reading guides and pure persistence (and also a lot about how long you spend on the computer)...

Whereas minigames, puzzles, etc are good "equalizers" since they require actual skill to think and such to complete them/do well in them. With these, no idiot who grinds on the game 10 hours a day can accomplish everything. Whereas a intelligent person who might not have that much time on his hands but still has decent skill levels can beat the quests.

I realize that this was before the compromise, but come ON....

"It wasnt long before the next shoe dropped, and Strykewyrms were introduced, forcing players to defeat Jad before enjoying the battle with the new, most lucrative slayer monster in the history of the game. While other skills were complemented with minigames before (Thieving, Cooking, and the Stealing Creation-driven skills come to mind), this prerequisite activity adds a new dimension, and perhaps irritating requirement, to the game itself."

What person with 93 Slayer doesn't have a fire cape?

I'm almost 92 slayer and I don't have one. There are 2 reasons why :

1) the Tzaar caves design and colour scheme gives me a headache after a while (the main reason)

2) I don't like mingames - the only ones I've played are those that are required for quests, achievement diaries etc.

However, if the requirement had remained I would have suffered and got a fire cape just to have full access to all slayer creatures.

Macro-economically is where things get interesting, because you have to assess a trend accross a population. It may seem insignificant for supply, but a portion of supply always remains with the merchanters at any given point. This is how supply is restricted, and the more popular an item becomes with merchanters, the more restricted it is.

but back to the main point at hand: why are so few people discussing this article of the tip.it times? :P

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree on how much effect this theory has on RuneScape - looking at Bandos armor's accessibility just makes it hard for me to believe the staff of light will go a completely different direction.

Few people are discussing the times article because yours was so much more in depth and because there are more heated debates about the topic elsewhere.

2496 Completionist

Well I think we'll have to agree to disagree on how much effect this theory has on RuneScape - looking at Bandos armor's accessibility just makes it hard for me to believe the staff of light will go a completely different direction.

Few people are discussing the times article because yours was so much more in depth and because there are more heated debates about the topic elsewhere.

^ What Jettrider said. Forget the fancy economics-based language and just see the light (pun intended). :-P

I really like the way other tasks, besides skills, can gain you more access to content. It can set you apart from the rest of the crowd. I love slayer and, even though I've only done the fight caves once (for the diary) and I'm very scared of actually taking on Jad :P, I think it was a legitimate requirement! I'm kind of sad that they decided to change it. And it's too late to go back to the way things were, now. Is this the way it will always be? Complainers and whiners will always ruin the little challenge that's actually in the game? :(

Whenever I decide to get members back, I just might try for a firecape. I'm nowhere near 93 slayer, but it would be a worthy achievement anyways, and the +4 attack on these worms wouldn't hurt either.

Blakdragon39.png

well, i know i am in the minority, but here is my 2 cents worth.

i cant do several of the recent updates. i am neither real life skilled enough and am still on dial-up.

i do not play runescape for the reasons listed so far. i play because i am one of the disabled unfortunate few that enjoys runescapes clicking skills. i am old school RPGer and i look at RS in the same manner i played them. i earn skill levels, i expect to have access to the activities i have earned.

i can not imagine playing many of the games available out there that do require RL skills and a decent internet connection, so i play runescape.

i have tried jad several times before the "requirement" and made it to him a few times, i admit, i may have been able to beat him.....eventually.

in the time i will advance my skill levels to a level that i might be able to beat him, i get to put up with all the wonderful titles from players at 20-30 or more combat levels lower than i am. i admit it, most players are better at "quick" reactions, knowing the "proper" way to attack, and may not need to deal with the inconvienient white screen. but there are many other games that those players could excell at, runescape was a game i could play. nomad has made my thoughts of getting my quest cape back a fantasy and nothing i can do will change that. heck, the -1 hit has not made me the least bit happy. i cant imagine why there are skill levels if no matter what your hit point level is, you can get hit for -1. so even if i work hard "clicking" and get 99 in hitpoints, i could still get hit -1. seems strange to me, the better you get at something, the harder it becomes.

i tried to make squirk juice, i couldnt. it took me 5+ hours to steal the gout tubar (or whatever it was) from that darn troll maze, jad was put off for more levels and even then i didnt expect to win. soul wars, i guess i played the one time needed, i just dont remember staying for the end. i just remeber the herky jerky movement that is so enjoyable.

i havent worried about the firecape as i am no where near the slayer level to get one. i am not a mercher so i could care less about how much something is (i have 1,5 million in my bank right now :thumbsup: ), i am a rarity, i like to click, i like to play a game that i earn levels and that determines wether or not i am able to do sommething in the game. if i wanted to compete with others who are better at real life reactions and better internet connections, i can promise i would be able to find a much more enjoyable game than runescape. and i would play against people who were able to compete against me rather than revil in the fact that they can do something that i am unable to do.

i know, runescape is trying to compete with all those other "high profile" bang them up fast moving games, i just wish they wouldnt, isnt there enough of those type of games as it is?

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg

i am a rarity, i like to click, i like to play a game that i earn levels and that determines wether or not i am able to do sommething in the game.

The thing is though that this is not the case. Just having the levels alone has not, for a long time (if ever), given us the right to do everything that level allows, quests and mini games have opened up new content. For example, try fishing for monks without Swan Song, or catching a leaping salmon without Barbarian Training, the appropriate fishing level alone does not allow you to do either.

As for you particular problems, Nomad will get easier in that he will become more familiar, strategies will be refined and agreed best techniques will, over time, be established. For Jad, you may find when you have more levels you can do what I did and nuke him, (turmoil, overload, veng & d claw specs), the fight was over in seconds - I didn't have time to click anything other than my special bar before he was dead.

devorguilla.png

reading this topic, and all the others, i can't help but ask myself: if Jad was a quest, would there be rantings?

I think player greed " i have a right to do this and that" with only a level, ignoring the fact that a lot of game content requires quests, has reached new level.

you have no right to anthing, be you 99 slayer, 200m hunter xp, or whatever. Jagex gives you the right to participate in its content. that is something to be humble about.

reading this topic, and all the others, i can't help but ask myself: if Jad was a quest, would there be rantings?

I think player greed " i have a right to do this and that" with only a level, ignoring the fact that a lot of game content requires quests, has reached new level.

you have no right to anthing, be you 99 slayer, 200m hunter xp, or whatever. Jagex gives you the right to participate in its content. that is something to be humble about.

Interesting thought, what if the requirement had been a Soul Wars cape? ;) (Either way though, the mini game precedent was set with mithril dragons and Barb Training, also something conveniently forgotten by many of the people complaining.)

devorguilla.png

I was agreeing with you up to this point, then I shook my head. Paying customers do not bow down and act grateful for the privilege of giving them money to play the game no matter what. If members aren't happy and get tired of it, then they stop being members.

rssig2.png

I was agreeing with you up to this point, then I shook my head. Paying customers do not bow down and act grateful for the privilege of giving them money to play the game no matter what. If members aren't happy and get tired of it, then they stop being members.

you pay for a service, you get what you pay for. I shake my head right back at you, paying customers in no company directly decide what company strategy is. That is a privalige reserved for shareholders. Paying customers, be they happy that something is on sale, or that their favorite shoe now comes in their favorite color, whatever, they have no influence on the company, and can only be happy that the company has chosen to do something they like. Maybe humble the right word or phrase. *plays English is my second language card* Jagex may refuse the right, as any other establisment, to serve any customer for any reason, that is their right. Jagex develops the game, not you, they choose and decide, you recieve new content and play. heck, they could stop giving out new content and demand the same membership price for membership features if they like, not that they should, will, or it is morally acceptable - they could and you could do NOTHING about it.

you pay for a service, you get what you pay for. I shake my head right back at you, paying customers in no company directly decide what company strategy is. That is a privalige reserved for shareholders. Paying customers, be they happy that something is on sale, or that their favorite shoe now comes in their favorite color, whatever, they have no influence on the company, and can only be happy that the company has chosen to do something they like. Maybe humble the right word or phrase. *plays English is my second language card* Jagex may refuse the right, as any other establisment, to serve any customer for any reason, that is their right. Jagex develops the game, not you, they choose and decide, you recieve new content and play. heck, they could stop giving out new content and demand the same membership price for membership features if they like, not that they should, will, or it is morally acceptable - they could and you could do NOTHING about it.

They can and then I don't have to pay.

A company doesn't have the right to take your money AND THEN refuse you service. I agree that Jagex holds all the cards and makes all the decisions. After all, they have a lot more to lose in this venture than I do. If I as a customer am on happy, then I can simply walk away and select from the thousands of other internet games on the market. If all the customers walk away from Jagex, however, no more Runescape. In that respect, it is in their best interest to listen to some of the feedback.

rssig2.png

They can and then I don't have to pay.

A company doesn't have the right to take your money AND THEN refuse you service. I agree that Jagex holds all the cards and makes all the decisions. After all, they have a lot more to lose in this venture than I do. If I as a customer am on happy, then I can simply walk away and select from the thousands of other internet games on the market. If all the customers walk away from Jagex, however, no more Runescape. In that respect, it is in their best interest to listen to some of the feedback.

They guarantee "regular updates" nothing more. Yes it'd be smart, but people often vote with their feet, not their forum posts. Jagex may have statistics (well they have statistics, but we don't know what ones), that render a lot of forum feedback obsolete. Those who pay for members are also (at least those i speak with) members for long periods of time. Once you go pvp, few go back and remain playing the game actively.

I think we really agree though, so meh, might just be bellyaching.

i am a rarity, i like to click, i like to play a game that i earn levels and that determines wether or not i am able to do sommething in the game.

The thing is though that this is not the case. Just having the levels alone has not, for a long time (if ever), given us the right to do everything that level allows, quests and mini games have opened up new content. For example, try fishing for monks without Swan Song, or catching a leaping salmon without Barbarian Training, the appropriate fishing level alone does not allow you to do either.

As for you particular problems, Nomad will get easier in that he will become more familiar, strategies will be refined and agreed best techniques will, over time, be established. For Jad, you may find when you have more levels you can do what I did and nuke him, (turmoil, overload, veng & d claw specs), the fight was over in seconds - I didn't have time to click anything other than my special bar before he was dead.

well, i cant imagine nomad getting easy, i can reply to the barbarian training and the other quests.

while i am not sure of all the mini game requirements, i do know some of the D&Ds require levels, i earn what levels to be better at those. the quests almost always have minimum skill level requirements, barb training had minimum levels, and trust me, i didnt go after a mith dragon before i had levels that were well above what most others might think necessary to beat them. nomad hits you based on your level, no matter how good i get, i will never be able to earn an advantage.

i look for levels to tell me what i can do in the game, i do not mind failing as i can raise my level and make my skill less likely to fail. when i need to compete against other players, my levels do not matter, so i do not pvp or play in mini games against other players. i pretty much make all i use. i now need to be real life faster and require a better internet connection to beat npcs and play mini games just to finish quests or earn assignments.

i am not asking for anything to be given away for free, i am looking for creative alternitives i can earn using the skills that i can compete with other players with. let me make a non tradeable weapon i need 99 mining to mine the rare rock which in turn i need 99 smithing to make, and then need 99 crafting to add rare gems, and 99 mage to enchant. after all that, the weapon only works on nomad, and win or lose it dissinegrates after the fight.

i only have 99 in 2 of those skills, guess what i would work on if i could get an advantage that i can earn. but nooooooo i need real life skills and high speed internet and more of a brain than i have. gee thanks.

i am not a slacker, i am not asking for anything to be given away, i could care less how much something is "worth", i just want a way i can earn everything with the skills i can and do earn in game.

thanks,

gompojigme

No matter where you go, there you are.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p-1.jpg