Long Term Effects of "Exp Weekend"

Aiel

I HATE this because it introduces unnecessary chaos to an already annoyingly difficult trade system.

Short term, yes it does reduce the amount of raw materials as everyone is hording them for the weekend. However long-term this does have benefits.

Think of all the people gathering raw materials atm, likley more than normal. If we go by the rule that people were going to get the levels anyways, double xp or not, this will cause the current amount of raw materials in game to essentially increase compared to the amount of people that were going to use them.

If I were going to use 5k irits for herb, update or not, that means my 5k irits count as almost 10k irits (or more). This means that in the future when I may have needed to buy those extra 5k irits to get to 10k used, I don't have to. That means there are 5k extra surplus irits that would of been used by me, but now they sit in GE for someone else. Because of that it will create a slight surplus on some raw materials, and in the long run reduce some inflated prices on raw materials making it actually easier to buy them in the GE.

What we are going to see is a spike similar to a merchanting clan, but broad based across all skilling supplies. It will keep going up until that weekend then crash. The crash will likley bring prices down lower than they are now, until another xp update like this is announced.

As for prayer, unless people plan to ecto, dragon bone prices likley wont be effected much at all by this update.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you start collecting talon charms now, you could have several thousand of them by the time that weekend comes. Resulting in around 6m+ xp per hour in summoning. If alot of people do this, there will be many, many, 90+ summoners. Also, I think this would have been better if they gave us like a 2 day warning, or no warning at all instead of 2 weeks of high inflation. Just another merchanting opportunity for idiots who only care about gp.

patr1ckotg1.png

I honestly do not think that any major long term effects will come out of a few hours of extra experience. Short term effects might include price gouging and some items might be unbuyable on the grand exchange. Other then that ii will just be a reward for members.

Or MAYBE Jagex did it for the reason they stated, to help people reach their goal before the introduction of the new skill, probably to get more people to train it.

Also, like someojne stated before, a huge lot of raw materials will enter the market, meaning long-term deflation.

For example, people who hate mining will mine that day. More ores enter the economy, without more being used afterwards.

For herblore, which I think is the main point of this, or at least what people think will be the biggest issue, herbs will rise, but the great number of potions being made, which would be impossible to use in a short while, will mean potions' prices decreasing, and then, as less people will want to train herb in normal times (Considering the higher cost), herbs will become cheaper, to stabilize around the price we have now.

This it what should happen, unless people start planning for future weekends like that.

WarBlastoise.png

Or MAYBE Jagex did it for the reason they stated, to help people reach their goal before the introduction of the new skill, probably to get more people to train it.

Also, like someojne stated before, a huge lot of raw materials will enter the market, meaning long-term deflation.

For example, people who hate mining will mine that day. More ores enter the economy, without more being used afterwards.

For herblore, which I think is the main point of this, or at least what people think will be the biggest issue, herbs will rise, but the great number of potions being made, which would be impossible to use in a short while, will mean potions' prices decreasing, and then, as less people will want to train herb in normal times (Considering the higher cost), herbs will become cheaper, to stabilize around the price we have now.

This it what should happen, unless people start planning for future weekends like that.

Not exactly true, most people will be making either extremes or useless potions like super energies. The inflation will gradually decrease in the month after the weekend, but this has a pretty huge effect on herblore.

patr1ckotg1.png

As for prayer, unless people plan to ecto, dragon bone prices likley wont be effected much at all by this update.

Couldn't you prepare the bonemeal and slime ahead of time for this, though?

And thus get massive prayer exp bonuses?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it only counts for burried bones.

- I'm not proud of everything I've done, but I have no regrets

15nu9u1.png

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it only counts for burried bones.

You're right. ONLY burying bones gives bonus exp.

As for the economy. My initial thoughts were that the prices would rise, then crash to below where they are now because less raw materials are needed to hit people's goals. But now I see that hoarders are going to have a field day. After the prices 'settle down' after the weekend, people are going to stock up on raw materials in hopes that another exp weekend comes soon.

I HATE this because it introduces unnecessary chaos to an already annoyingly difficult trade system.

Short term, yes it does reduce the amount of raw materials as everyone is hording them for the weekend. However long-term this does have benefits.

Think of all the people gathering raw materials atm, likley more than normal. If we go by the rule that people were going to get the levels anyways, double xp or not, this will cause the current amount of raw materials in game to essentially increase compared to the amount of people that were going to use them.

If I were going to use 5k irits for herb, update or not, that means my 5k irits count as almost 10k irits (or more). This means that in the future when I may have needed to buy those extra 5k irits to get to 10k used, I don't have to. That means there are 5k extra surplus irits that would of been used by me, but now they sit in GE for someone else. Because of that it will create a slight surplus on some raw materials, and in the long run reduce some inflated prices on raw materials making it actually easier to buy them in the GE.

What we are going to see is a spike similar to a merchanting clan, but broad based across all skilling supplies. It will keep going up until that weekend then crash. The crash will likley bring prices down lower than they are now, until another xp update like this is announced.

I would think the opposite, in the weekend, nearly all resources will be used, because people will train skills they weren't planning to train just because those are the most effective. Take herblore, you think a lot of herbs will be left after the weekend? I don't think so.

I would think the opposite, in the weekend, nearly all resources will be used, because people will train skills they weren't planning to train just because those are the most effective. Take herblore, you think a lot of herbs will be left after the weekend? I don't think so.

Well after the weekend there wont be many materials left. I agree with that, but that is short term. Long term (talking several weeks-months into the future) you will have not used as many raw materials as you would have used otherwise had this update not occurred. Also remember more raw materials will be produced than normal in preparation for this update. I know myself, I will be not bank standing as much and go out and collect some raw materials to use when I have free time.

Will it cause drastic decreases in prices after the update? No, not really. But it will slow down the increase in prices to a certain extent, as less raw materials will be consumed because of this over say the next few months.

If you start collecting talon charms now, you could have several thousand of them by the time that weekend comes. Resulting in around 6m+ xp per hour in summoning. If alot of people do this, there will be many, many, 90+ summoners. Also, I think this would have been better if they gave us like a 2 day warning, or no warning at all instead of 2 weeks of high inflation. Just another merchanting opportunity for idiots who only care about gp.

Were are talon beasts anyway ?

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

It'll be crazy for a couple of weeks, but as far as LONG term effects there will be little impact. Short term it degrades the value of xp, and of course ties an already weak trade system into further knots. The length of this event won't be long enough to do major damage though. The worst of it will be players expecting this to become a routine event, and if Jagex does decide that then I might have to seriously consider retiring for good from Runescape. I don't like the idea of the event, but I don't think it'll affect gameplay in the long run.

rssig2.png

It'll be crazy for a couple of weeks, but as far as LONG term effects there will be little impact. Short term it degrades the value of xp, and of course ties an already weak trade system into further knots. The length of this event won't be long enough to do major damage though. The worst of it will be players expecting this to become a routine event, and if Jagex does decide that then I might have to seriously consider retiring for good from Runescape. I don't like the idea of the event, but I don't think it'll affect gameplay in the long run.

More than once every 6 months would be risky, once every three months or less would be desastrous.

But if they keep it very sporadic, like once a year, or before the introduction of a new skill, it would be nice.

WarBlastoise.png

I'm personally hoping it bumps a lot of people into the next "level" category. For example, most people who have 88 summoning now will get bumped up to yaks. If this happens in many skills, then perhaps with the new number of people being higher level, Jagex will release updates for that class of players.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

More than once every 6 months would be risky, once every three months or less would be desastrous.

But if they keep it very sporadic, like once a year, or before the introduction of a new skill, it would be nice.

This

I'm personally hoping it bumps a lot of people into the next "level" category. For example, most people who have 88 summoning now will get bumped up to yaks. If this happens in many skills, then perhaps with the new number of people being higher level, Jagex will release updates for that class of players.

stfu u march 12th prod

Zerker_jane.png

I agree completely on the Talon Beast comments, Im spending this week (or whats left of it) finishing up getting agil legs, and then hunting next week to finish up my quest cape reqs. Then the week heading up to the xp weekend, im going to play temple trecking. Lots of bonus summ xp and I have some more chances at that lumberjack top :D

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I'll be profiting from this "exp weekend", but I don't like the idea at all.

I agree, I dislike the concept but if they implement it I'm going to use it anyway. Also, rather then 2.7x xp in skills like summoning they should have x2.7 charm drops (rounding up to 3, but at 2.4x it would round down to 2)

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

stfu u march 12th prod

Bwahahaha. :thumbsup:

td2sig.jpg

could this drive the price of dragon bones down at all? i was about to put 30m towards them, but then i saw this dev. diary. im probably wrong here, but the way i see it is this > gilded alters wont give you any bonus exp, while burying a dragon bone even with exp weekends full benefit your still going to get less then if u use a gilded alter. but what i cant figure out is what will happen to the dragon bone economy.