Long Term Effects of "Exp Weekend"

Aiel

Well it's not so much the easier exp that bothers me. I'm going to deeply enjoy getting 99 summoning (or close) for less than half the effort and cash.

It's that literally every raw material is unbuyable on GE. From herbs all the way down to crap like regular bones. And more annoyingly, super sets and prayer potions. I wouldn't even mind having to go through merchants except that to do that I'd have to have commodities or pay a hyper-inflated price for junk-added trades (which are actually uncommon, usually people don't have junk and ask for commodities).

DIY you do have two weeks.

Also I woudln't blame the buy-out all on merchants.

It's normal players stocking up.

Indeed, players have two weeks to stock up on raw materials.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, i'm a tipit skiller and I care about the economy.

I cry about updates before they occur because i'm a naysaying, whiny, economically-apocalyptic knowitall.

I should take it on the chin and stop moaning; adjust or quit - Like I so gleefully told pkers to do a year ago when their gamestyle was threatened.

I'm going to farm a lot of herbs on my new pure project and make a lot of money off you all.

brb got a targ

assuming the portion of your post in italics is sarcasm...nice BH rank LOL, hybrid dm me to prove youre pro pker or gtfo pls

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Well it's not so much the easier exp that bothers me. I'm going to deeply enjoy getting 99 summoning (or close) for less than half the effort and cash.

It's that literally every raw material is unbuyable on GE. From herbs all the way down to crap like regular bones. And more annoyingly, super sets and prayer potions. I wouldn't even mind having to go through merchants except that to do that I'd have to have commodities or pay a hyper-inflated price for junk-added trades (which are actually uncommon, usually people don't have junk and ask for commodities).

Did I say it was merchants? I know all normal players look for opportunities like this too. That's the point. If it was just merchant clans like Jagex suggested it would be in the FAQ, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

And yes I'm DIY'ing. Mined some granite, bought tons of yak hides, but iron plates? Well I can get 20 of those a day from NPCs, but otherwise I have to rely on GE. I could make them but then again iron bars are unbuyable on GE. Iron ORE is unbuyable on GE. So I'd have to mine 5k iron ore, smelt it, then make them into plates. Yeah no. Probably best just to mine some more granite and collect a few more crimsons.

Ultimately my point is this makes things extremely annoying for people who don't want to train on "EXP weekends". If Jagex does this constantly people will always be waiting for exp weekends to train. That's not the kind of game I want, frankly.

I think that since the event is only lasting for 3 days, the long term effects will be minimal. Any variation in prices will be smoothed out in about a month or less.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

Did I say it was merchants? I know all normal players look for opportunities like this too. That's the point. If it was just merchant clans like Jagex suggested it would be in the FAQ, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

And yes I'm DIY'ing. Mined some granite, bought tons of yak hides, but iron plates? Well I can get 20 of those a day from NPCs, but otherwise I have to rely on GE. I could make them but then again iron bars are unbuyable on GE. Iron ORE is unbuyable on GE. So I'd have to mine 5k iron ore, smelt it, then make them into plates. Yeah no. Probably best just to mine some more granite and collect a few more crimsons.

Ultimately my point is this makes things extremely annoying for people who don't want to train on "EXP weekends". If Jagex does this constantly people will always be waiting for exp weekends to train. That's not the kind of game I want, frankly.

It's also pretty damn impossible to sell bits on the GE too. My visage is stuck there now for a while in the hope I get the cash. My D Bones sat there for the majority of the day. My blood runs haven't sold. Actually the only thing to happen on my GE is 5K swamptoads coming through for summoning.

This is really annoying. And also you cover good points in the first bit again about pots being unbuyabe. I'm running out of prayer pots and am relying on friends generosity to help me buy some off them or trade for pots they need like sup att or str. Can't wait for that weekend to be over and I can get the pots for a lower cost, quicker, easier and cheaper. <3

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Then again, as stated before. It's not so much the long term effect, it's the ffect it has on raw mterials and what not right now. Although everything may be bought out by merchants and skillers alike, it could promote gathering the raw materials for yourself. Why not spend the time you would of standing around paying high prices, when you can atleast make or collect some of the materials you need. Could kill 2 birds with one stone. Who knows, as soon as the weekend is over things should return back to normal anyways. Personally I like the idea, I'm curious to see as how successfull it will be.

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

Then again, as stated before. It's not so much the long term effect, it's the ffect it has on raw mterials and what not right now. Although everything may be bought out by merchants and skillers alike, it could promote gathering the raw materials for yourself. Why not spend the time you would of standing around paying high prices, when you can atleast make or collect some of the materials you need. Could kill 2 birds with one stone. Who knows, as soon as the weekend is over things should return back to normal anyways. Personally I like the idea, I'm curious to see as how successfull it will be.

That.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's gonna make price lower in the long run. Considering the number of people going to get their goals at that time, it might even lower those prices in the not-so-long run.

WarBlastoise.png

I highly doubt it will make prices lower in the long run... Especially if Jagex does decide to do this on a semi-regular basis.

I don't mind though. All godswords are dropping dramatically as well as all armors. I think they will continue to drop as long as people are selling them to buy supplies for 2.7x XP day. I've currently got 450M+ in herbs and am making over 40M an update. When I do sell, I'll get the armors for half off. :).

09144a99bb.png

Wow lol the rs economy is extremely delicate. I never thought about that. One little announcement from jagex has the potential to heavily crash/inflate certain items. :o

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Wow lol the rs economy is extremely delicate. I never thought about that. One little announcement from jagex has the potential to heavily crash/inflate certain items. :o

and whats worse? the merchant clans always win! -.-

I can only speak as to the long term effects it will have on me.

I had been buying pure essence for the past week or so prior to the announcement - I had merched enough to buy supplies until 99 and I had placed the order. It was filling nicely. I managed to get a few more after the announcement and before the market value put my offer to sleep. Now I am sitting on hundreds of thousands of pure ess that I bought at very attractive prices.

If they had waited just one more week to announce the bonus weekend, I'd have bought all I needed at bargain prices.

Do I sell or stand pat? Would you sell or stand pat?

I honestly believe that I'd lose money if I crafted it. There will be such a glut of runes on the market in late March.

I wasn't buying to merch it, I was stockpiling for 99. But now, I'd be a fool to hold on to it - especially if I believe the price will crater back down.

Windfall profits are nice things to fall into.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I actually decided to work on range again right now, by cannoning aberrant specters. And then selling the herbs as they come along. I'm not going to wait till people decide that enough is enough and the prices start to crash. I'm taking my profit now.

I did some calculations. My charms will get me to 91 summoning at the max (from 88). Not really worth it in my opinion.

I will just spend an hour doing summoning with blues and crimsons and then I will get back to my normal activities during this weekend of extra experience.

It's a game, not work.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Personally I will be getting 97 instead of 95 herblore from my overloads, might try to buy some more herbs but dont think I'll manage with the g/e all [bleep]ed up at the moment. Will probably spend the rest of the time training agility since I kinda loathe the skill now but do want 90.

I really do think they shouldn't have announced it 2 weeks prior of the actual event, 2 weeks of bought out stuff pretty much sucks.

2dvjurb.png

and whats worse? the merchant clans always win! -.-

Unfortunately, they'll always win. :|

Popoto.~<3

Hi, i'm a tipit skiller and I care about the economy.

I cry about updates before they occur because i'm a naysaying, whiny, economically-apocalyptic knowitall.

I should take it on the chin and stop moaning; adjust or quit - Like I so gleefully told pkers to do a year ago when their gamestyle was threatened.

I'm going to farm a lot of herbs on my new pure project and make a lot of money off you all.

brb got a targ

assuming the portion of your post in italics is sarcasm...nice BH rank LOL, hybrid dm me to prove youre pro pker or gtfo pls

dont be daft, you're level 127/117 - i'm 106

happily fight any < 110 you may have if you're serious, lol

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I actually decided to work on range again right now, by cannoning aberrant specters. And then selling the herbs as they come along. I'm not going to wait till people decide that enough is enough and the prices start to crash. I'm taking my profit now.

I did some calculations. My charms will get me to 91 summoning at the max (from 88). Not really worth it in my opinion.

I will just spend an hour doing summoning with blues and crimsons and then I will get back to my normal activities during this weekend of extra experience.

It's a game, not work.

That is a strange argument. In games, I like to plan strategies that will allow me quick and easy victories.

Or should I say, quick and easy achievement of objectives. In offline games, the goal being beating the other player/killing a boss. In runescape we just set our own objectives. Not really sure why the type of objective makes an MMO feel like "work" to people.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well this event has already completely disrupted my herblore training, as most herbs are nearly unbuyable as of now. Well, I'll just go with the flow and get some farming, construction and as much herblore as possible. I don't really like the idea of these kinds of events though.

So when do you guys think prices will be at their max?

Well this event has already completely disrupted my herblore training, as most herbs are nearly unbuyable as of now. Well, I'll just go with the flow and get some farming, construction and as much herblore as possible. I don't really like the idea of these kinds of events though.

So when do you guys think prices will be at their max?

I guess that at one point people start realizing that the new prices aren't giving much advantage anymore compared to the bonus experience. And who knows where this tipping point might lay? It might be equal to the bonus received or well below it.

I'm selling herbs as soon as I get them at the moment. Better be a little bit richer than get stuck with them in the end.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Well if they just do this once, it won't really have long term effect but if they start doing this all the time people will have to start playing during weekends to max their playing time vs efficiency. IMO, not a good thing. Weekends should be more for relaxation than desperately trying to max out exp for a limited time.

Well if they just do this once, it won't really have long term effect but if they start doing this all the time people will have to start playing during weekends to max their playing time vs efficiency. IMO, not a good thing. Weekends should be more for relaxation than desperately trying to max out exp for a limited time.

Or maybe make next events be like 1,1x all the way. Gives a nice little bonus, but doesn't mess up the whole economy.

WarBlastoise.png

- More people shall play more.

- Raw materials will rise massively in price.

- Produced materials will drop.

That's the (rather obvious) aftereffects of the exp weekend.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

The Exp weekend is just going to cause every raw material to go sky high. Everyones going to start selling items and armour for raw materials.

High demand at the weekend will cause every raw material to just crash.

Ah well, wonder how it's going to turn out ;)