3. Method 1
  4. Method 2
  5. How to Get There
  6. Setting Up the Garden
  7. Example One-Click Run
  8. Experience/Hour Rate
  9. Tips
  10. Credits

To Moderators: If any pictures or gif animations are too large, please remove them and send me a PM telling me what section they were in so I can replace them with more appropriate ones.

Welcome! If you are reading this, it seems that you want to be introduced to the world of one-clicking the Sorceress' Garden. As for now, the guide will only detail how to cover the Summer Garden. Playing the Sorceress' Garden is beneficial because it yields decent experience, is low stress compared to Pyramid Plunder or Blackjacking, and provides a way to train thieving without taking damage.

Sorceress' Garden involves running through a hedge-filled maze while avoiding the Elementals that patrol its interior. To succeed, one should either pick the fruit from the Squ'irk tree in the centre, or pick herbs from the patch on the side. Picking herbs is generally not a good idea, as the herb rate has been determined to be roughly equivalent to that of killing Chaos Druids. One-clicking the maze involves delaying Elementals such that a player can run through the maze by just clicking the tree in the centre without getting caught.

[hide=Requirements]

• 65 Thieving Required
  • Pestle & Mortar Required
  • Empty Beer Glasses Required (You can get these from the Sorceress' house.)
  • Enchanted Broomstick Recommended (Quest needed: Swept Away - After the quest, talk to the Sorceress' Apprentice to enchant the broom.)
  • Access to Oo'glog Pools Recommended (Quest needed: As A First Resort - Skillers cannot do this quest.)
    Camelot/Catherby Telerunes/tabs
    Coins
  • High Agility Level Recommended
  • (Super) Energy Restore Potions Alternate Recommendation
  • Purple Sweets Alternate Recommendation
  • Teleportation Jewelry (Preferably Duel Rings/Glories) Alternate Recommendation

[/hide]

Now that you know a little bit about the garden, it is time to choose what method you will use. The first method involves the Salt-Water pool that you receive access to after As A First Resort..., whereas the second uses Energy Restoration Items (ERIs) to (obviously) restore energy. A possible third method would be to use the rest feature.

[hide=Method 1: If you have completed As A First Resort...]

This method is convenient as you do not have to worry about restoring your run energy while playing the minigame. Also, you can wear whatever outfit you enjoy skilling in, as you can run as long as you want for a set period of time.

Method:

2. Start at Salt-Water Pool
  3. Broom to Summer Garden
  4. Collect Squ'irk Juices
  5. Camelot Teleport
  6. Catherby Charter to Oo'glog
  7. Bank (Store juice, withdraw Empty Beer Glasses)
    (Repeat until satisfied.)

A ring of duelling is an alternative to the Catherby charter ship; its teleport to Mobilising Armies puts you a quick jog away from Oo'glog, situated east of the teleportation destination.

Equipment:

Aside from a broom, no equipment is required. Wear whatever you feel like!

Inventory:

SGresortINV.png

Replace the Orb with another beer glass.

Camelot teletabs can be substituted out for Camelot/Catherby telerunes.

The chartership costs 1700gp from Catherby to Oo'glog.

[/hide]

[hide=Method 2: If you have NOT completed As A First Resort...]

You'll have to rely on energy restoration items to use this method, however, banking is faster.

Method:

2. Start at bank (Edgeville if you are using a glory, Castle Wars if you are using a duelling ring, Shantay Pass if you are not using teleportation jewelry.)
  3. Store Squ'irk Juices, withdraw Empty Beer Glasses and Energy Restoration Items. (Find a ratio of beer glasses to ERI that works for you.)
  4. Broom to Summer Garden
  5. Collect Squ'irk Juices
  6. Teleport to bank (Run if you are not using jewelry.)
    (Repeat until satisfied.)

Equipment:

You will want to have light-weight equipment as you will be running all the time. The lighter clothes you wear, the less frequently you have will to use energy restoration items. Take note that if your weight is under 0kg then lowering it even further will not help decrease your run consumption.

broomandminweight.png

•  
  • Chest: Agile Top > None
  • Legs: Agile Legs > None
  • Boots: Boots of Lightness > None
  • Cape: Spottier Cape > Spotted Cape > None
  • Gloves: Penance Gloves > None
  • Weapon: Broom > None
  • Amulet: Amulet of Glory > Teleportation Jewelry > None
  • Wrist: Teleportation Jewelry > None
  • Ring: Duelling Ring > Teleportation Jewelry > None

Superheat reemphasized to me that run percentage loss is not changed as long as it is less than or equal to zero, which made me consider the following point: when planning what to wear, consider how full you will fill your inventory with Sq'irk juices (1kg each) before starting. Also, note that beer glasses are 0.5kg each. Thanks for the tip!

Inventory:

•  
  • Pestle & Mortar
  • A ratio of empty beer glasses and energy restoration items.
    (If you use purple sweets as a restoration item, you can fill the rest of your inventory up with beer glasses.)

[/hide]

Now that you have decided which approach you will use, it is time to learn the basics of setting up the garden.

[hide=How To Get There]

[hide=Map of the Area (Large 60kb picture)]SGareamap.png[/hide]

The gardens are accessed from the Sorceress' house, which is located in the southern part of Al Kharid. In the above image, the house is located within the red square.

[hide=Picture of the House (Large 550kb picture)]SGhouse.png[/hide]

Inside the house, you will find the Sorceress' Apprentice, shelves, and a lone spider. Talk (or right-click) to the Apprentice to access the garden. Search the shelves to obtain empty beer glasses, if you do not have any. Kill the spider to call down curses from the Octarchy of Arachnagods upon yourself. If you exit the building and go up the stairs on the side of the building, you can speak with the Sorceress herself.

[/hide]

[hide=Setting up the Garden]

[hide=Picture of the Summer Garden (Large 741kb picture)]SGgarden.png[/hide]

This is the Summer Garden, the entrance is located north of the fountain next to which you appear. Note the six Elementals patrolling the maze - I will number them as to the order that you pass them if you were to run all the way through the maze (ie., The first elemental you run past is Elemental #1).

The core fundamental in One-Clicking the garden is knowing how to delay an elemental. An elemental is delayed by getting caught by it. When you get caught, you will notice that the elemental casts a spell upon you. If you watch closer, you will notice that it stops moving when it casts this spell. It takes about six captures to reset the #1 Elemental back to correct position. (I say about, because sometimes the elemental 'glides' as it casts the spell, and thusly isn't delayed.) Definitions you may find helpful are below:

• Bounce: An elemental bounces when it changes direction because there is a wall in its way.
  • Patrol: An elemental is patrolling when it isn't bouncing. 'Following its route'. Note that an elemental is always moving unless you are delaying it.
  • Near Wall: In relation to an Elemental's path, this is the wall that the Elemental bounces on closest to Set-Up Position.
  • Set-up Position: The position from which you start your One-Click run. For this tutorial, Set-up Position is the square on which your character stands upon entering the garden.

[hide=Step 1: Coordinating Elementals #1 & #4]

SG1st4thele-1.gif

The two elementals in the above animation are elementals #1 & #4. In that animation, they are coordinated. You can tell they are coordinated if they both bounce on their respective near walls at the same time. Please note that #4's patrol path is twice as long as #1's. This implies that #1 will hit its near wall twice while #4 hits its wall once. This is very important to recognize, and understanding this we can observe that we should watch #4 to understand if #1 & #4 are coordinated, because if you watch #1, you may not recognize that they are coordinated. Also, this brings up two very important definitions that will be used in later steps:

• Sync'd Bounce: When #1 and #4 are coordinated and they bounce at the same time.
  • Unsync'd Bounce: When #1 and #4 are coordinated and they do NOT bounce at the same time. (#1 Bounces while #4 is Patrolling.)

When you are done with Step 1 and understand the theory, proceed to Step 2...

[/hide]

[hide=Step 2: Learning How to Run]

SG1stEleLine-1.png

Always run from Set-Up position. It's more convenient and you do not have to change my walkthrough to match your setup position.

Once the #1 Elemental passes that red line on the above picture, click on the tree in the centre to run. If done right, you should run past the #1 Elemental. If the #1 Elemental seemed to spaz out and capture you, you started too soon. If it bounced off of its far wall and caught you before you could run past, you started too late. Once you get this down, the rest of the maze should be easy.

However - it is very important to take note of the #4 Elemental. If you start to run when #1 and #4 are Sync Bouncing, then you always run when #1 and #4 are Sync Bouncing. If you run once when they are Sync Bouncing, and the next time when they are Unsync Bouncing, the Brute Force (Step 3) will not work, and you will have to reset (Step 4). I prefer to run when #1 and #4 are Sync Bouncing, as it is easy to notice if #1 and #4 have lost coordination if you run when they are Sync Bouncing.

When you are good at starting your runs and understand the theory, proceed to Step 3...

[/hide]

[hide=Step 3: Brute Forcing the Rest]

This is the easiest step, because you already know how to do it! Just run correctly to the centre of the maze while #1 and #4 are coordinated, bearing in mind if you ran during a Sync'd Bounce or an Unsync'd Bounce. There is not just 'one combination' of Elementals that allows the player to run through the maze, so it should not take that long to brute force the maze.

Once you have completed step 3, you will have successfully One-Clicked your way from start to finish! Congratulations!

[/hide]

[hide=Step 4: Resetting the Maze]

This is not part of setting up the maze, moreof, 'What should you do if I mess up on the maze. There are two scenarios:

1. You mess up Elemental #1 (Most common)
    This is an easy fix. Don't panic, all you have to do is repeat Step 1 because the rest of the maze is already brute forced. However, you must recall whether you ran when #1 and #4 did a Sync'd Bounce or an Unsync'd Bounce, because the rest of the maze is already brute forced ONLY if you continue running at the interval you were running before you messed up.

2. You mess up Elemental #2-#6
    This is also an easy fix. Step 1 is already complete, so Step 3 is the only thing left. However, you do not have to brute force the rest of the maze again IF you remember what interval you were running at. Just continue running at that interval, and you should only have to reset one elemental. Easy, eh?

[/hide]

[/hide]

[hide=Example One-Click Run]

SGoneclick.gif

[/hide]

[hide=Experience/Hour Rate]

Theory:

Two Squ'irks give 3,000 exp. One Squ'irk is picked per run. One run takes ~36.5 seconds, so two runs take ~73 seconds. Therefore, 3k exp/~73 seconds.

Now, there are 3600 seconds in an hour. That means one can collect 49 glasses of Squ'irk Juice per hour. Therefore, the theoretical yield of this minigame is 147k exp/hour.

Also, note that you get 60 farming experience per Summer Squ'irk picked. Thus, if you can pick 98 Squ'irks per hour, then you would gain 5880 farming exp/hour aswell.

Reality:

I myself have ended up getting around 120-130k exp/hour, however, I am not a very concentrated person. If anyone would like to input their exp per hour it would be very welcome, as it would help me generate the average percent yield. Those who do will have their names added to the credits unless they specifically request not to be added.

[/hide]

[hide=Tips]

2. Choose a low-population or foreign server to set up a One-Click Garden, as you do not want a random person to mess your garden up.
  3. If someone is already in a garden and you notice they are One-Clicking, ask them if you can join them before entering. If they are not one-clicking, hop worlds
    for the same reason as Tip #1.
  4. Don't start talking to friends until you begun your run.
  5. You can make Squ'irk juice once you've entered the garden and still have time to catch the next Sync'd Bounce - your priority should be getting into the garden.
  6. Right-clicking the garden's gate before you are teleported from the maze is a quick and easy way to get back into the maze.

If you have any corrections, comments, or additions to the tips section, do not hesitate to post.

[/hide]

[hide=Credits]

Jagex, for creating, hosting, and maintaining Runescape.

Tip.It, for hosting this guide and having an awesome community.

Mrmoocky, for providing the lowest-weight w/broom picture.

Lalala7324, for suggesting that players could use rest.

Gradeskip93, for showing me an alternate method and letting me record it. (Will be uploaded later - it will be up faster if people request.)

DeathMiasma, for being Gradeskip's student in the video.

Bladewing, for being my first student.

vader2592, for suggesting duelling rings to mobilizing armies as an alternative transportation route.

Superheat, for pointing out that weight doesn't matter as long as it is less than or equal to zero.

You, for reading and contributing to the growth of this guide!

[/hide]

Edited by Peregrine

Very good tip! I like the use of not only pictures, but the video's as well to show what you're talking about. Great job!

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

this is the first one click summer garden guide I've seen on TIF, and it's amazingly well written

There's info somewhere on RS wikia about how many tiles our player can run in a set amount of game clicks

maybe you could count the number of tiles between where you respawn after picking a fruit, and the tree itself?

probably not completely relevant but something I would like to see, personally speaking.

Naaxi.png

You lose a lot of time going to ooglog every 20 minutes, but we have already discussed that :mrgreen:

If you rest correctly and have over 75 agility, you do not need energy restoratives OR the run-restore pool.

lalalasig2.png

You lose a lot of time going to ooglog every 20 minutes, but we have already discussed that :mrgreen:

If you rest correctly and have over 75 agility, you do not need energy restoratives OR the run-restore pool.

I know you taught Grade a different method than I use, and perhaps that method has an advantage as it allows time to rest.

However, I did some frame-by-frame calculations on a video I recorded of me doing two consecutive runs, and I found out that once I enter the Summer Gate, I begin my run in 5 seconds

[hide=Observations 1:]

•  
  • 01:20.400 (Started at the frame after the fade from black begins)
  • 01:33.900 (Started at the frame when the #4 Elemental moves one frame into its bounce)

13.500 seconds from fountain to start run.

•  
  • 01:28.900 (Started at the frame where the camera stops moving after your character enters the gate)
  • 01:33.900 (Started at the frame when the #4 Elemental moves one frame into its bounce)

5.000 seconds from gate to start run.

[/hide]

[hide=Observations 2:]

• 01:56.900 (Started at the frame after the fade from black begins)
  • 02:10.300 (Started at the frame when the #4 Elemental moves one frame into its bounce)

13.400 seconds from fountain to start run

• 02:05.300 (Started at the frame where the camera stops moving after your character enters the gate)
  • 02:10.300 (Started at the frame when the #4 Elemental moves one frame into its bounce)

5.000 seconds from gate to start run

[/hide]

So.. assuming that beginning and ending rest take 2 ticks each (Estimate, that would be 1.2 seconds) I would have 3.8 seconds to rest before I would have to get up and click the tree.

I have to head to my next class now, but I will count the squares/time it takes and make a list of the energy used at certain agility levels it takes to get from the gate to the tree. Perhaps I will do gate to gate for a full cycle.

this is the first one click summer garden guide I've seen on TIF, and it's amazingly well written

There's info somewhere on RS wikia about how many tiles our player can run in a set amount of game clicks

maybe you could count the number of tiles between where you respawn after picking a fruit, and the tree itself?

probably not completely relevant but something I would like to see, personally speaking.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will factor this in, as it will help me with the mathematics I am trying to do with the Summer Garden, and/or also proving/disproving that Winter/Autumn/Spring can be One-Clicked.

(By the way, all gardens can be one-clicked. However, constantly one-clicking them is another story. Yesterday I one-clicked Autumn and Winter first try, and it took three tries to one-click Spring.)

Very nice! I used to one-click it, but I could set up inconsistently at best. Very informative. Well done :)

Nice guide!

Gradeskip94, for showing me an alternate method and letting me record it. (Will be uploaded later - it will be up faster if people request.)

DeathMiasma, for being Gradeskip's student in the video.

*requests* :P

P.S. It's Gradeskip93 and not 94. ;)

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

P.S. It's Gradeskip93 and not 94. ;)

Fixed. Also, what is Death's TIF username? I believe I have that wrong aswell.

I've been slowly working on more mathematics for this, however I recently had some exams so I did not have much time to work on those.

[hide=Changelog v1.1]

• Changed Gradeskip 94 to Gradeskip 93 per request
  • Filled in amount of coins needed to charter from Catherby to Oo'glog (1700)

[/hide]

I don't get the step in resetting the garden. If I mess up on the first elemental once, I have to switch worlds. Also, I always get caught on the second to last elemental, what am I doing wrong?

When you reset the #1 Elemental, you are just re-coordinating it with #4 so that they bounce off their respective near walls at the same time.

As for the second to last elemental - make sure you've brute forced it.

I trained from 80-81 thieving a little bit ago and as I was setting up the garden, I found out that setting it up was hard for some odd reason. Once I set it up, I noted that you start your run through the garden every fourth patrol-cycle the #4 Elemental completes. What I was doing wrong was that since I was brute-forcing the maze, I was getting kicked out early, and thusly I would begin my next brute-force run on the #4's first, second, or third patrol-cycle instead of the fourth cycle that I was brute-forcing. Thus, it is important to wait for that fourth cycle before running through the maze to brute force it. Oddly enough I didn't encounter this problem while I used the garden earlier and when I wrote this guide. I'll add in a little section/tip to the brute-forcing section of the guide in a little.

In case you didn't understand any of the following, here is a definition and a clarification of what I mean.

Patrol-Cycle: An elemental begins its patrol-cycle when it bounces off of its near wall. It's cycle ends and begins anew when it bounces off the near wall again.

(So, for the #4 elemental, a patrol-cycle would mean it would complete its figure-eight pattern.)

What I mean by running through every third cycle is this: 1, 4, 7, 10, etc. You start running once the #4 Elemental bounces. It has just begun cycling, so this is its first cycle. While you run through the maze, if you successfully one-click, it will complete a second and third cycle and begin a third one once you are teleported out. When you are back in the maze, you will begin your run on the fourth cycle.

If you still can't get it down, feel free to add me ingame. My PM is always on, and I usually have enough free time that I can come observe your setup and point out what you are doing wrong.

Also, in terms of rest - I've been testing it out a bit more frequently now that I found out about this third cycle factor. At 80 agility, I can skip one run and recover to 100% energy from an energy below what I need (~19%) to run through the maze. I will add this section as a viable method to the guide as soon as I get some mathematics done and calculate different values for different agility levels. I have found out that there are 65 (ironically) steps from the Gate to the Tree, and from the Gate to the Gate there are 80 steps. So, you can approximately complete one run in 40 ticks, minus the ticks involved in teleportation and opening the door. You should add about 5 seconds worth of ticks to that to obtain how long one full run from [start Running] to [start Running] is. However, with the third-cycle knowledge in hand, you could just calculate how many ticks it takes to for the #4 Elemental to complete 4 cycles.

Maybe make a video on it too.

Looks promising, but compare with PP which is better?

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

I have plenty of videos I could upload, however Youtube is being silly and uploading 100% of the video and then staying at that amount and not completing for a half-day before I finally close the tab. Anyone have some advice?

And compared to Pyramid Plunder - Plunder is faster, but also more stressfull, especially if you are a skiller. The only stressful part of Sorceress' Garden is setting up the garden. Once you've mastered running, it becomes second nature. I decided I wanted 81 thieving a few days ago, so I went over to Sorceress' Garden and trained from 80-81 within an hour. It's really up to you, as some people can find Blackjacking enjoyable. I used to alternate Blackjacking and Pyramid Plunder, but those activities did not allow me to talk to my friends without losing a significant amount of exp. During Sorceress' Garden, you can talk to your friends without hindering your EXP rate.

If only my computer wouldn't freeze up when I scroll over the GIFs..

But this still is a much-needed guide for a very underrated minigame.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Darn, I was planning on making a guide just like this, but I never got myself to do it.

Anyway, I found that collecting herbs while one clicking the garden was actually faster than chaos druids since it is a constant 2 herbs every <40 secs.

One thing I didn't see you point out is that when you leave the garden to bank or to go to the salt pool is that you don't need to reset the garden once you get back (This makes herb gathering much easier and faster). After you sync #1 and #4, then brute force your way through every other one, every elemental will be synced. If you take into account #5 location and direction at the moment #1 and #4 are synced in which you are able to pass you will be able to continue 1-clicking. If I remember correctly, #5 will be synced every three #1 & #4 syncs.

EDIT: gah I didn't read your other post about the 3 cycles. I'd also like to add that you can rest just before running through again which recovers some run energy. And since herb runs are shorter you can have more time to rest, and at 71 agility I was replenishing all the run energy i used up every iteration.

• 1 month later...

Very nice guide P-bird, and as we discussed this a while, any chance of you making a one click winter garden guide for your favorite pray pure? <3

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

• 3 weeks later...

:oops: Very nice guide! Too bad I'm only 55 theiving :red: Any Ideas on the best way to get to 65?

You could blackjack and pickpocket bandits... I think that's faster than plunder at your level.

lalalasig2.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of wise info on this topic from an outdoor gardening expert in the post above. Also, I bet he gives good advice on lawn mowers, as he apparently is from (is advertising) a lawn mowing forum.

Anywho, I figured I'd post some updated info on this topic.

I used some modular arithmetic to prove that the Spring and Autumn gardens are one-clickable, though not at a feasible, consistent rate. So unless you want to wait a great amount of time between runs while Elementals reset, I'm not sure why you would one-click the Spring/Autumn gardens.

However, the Winter Garden is one-clickable very consistently. I haven't written a guide on it yet, as I am F2P, but I performed some calculations, and it appears to come out to be 10k exp/hour at level-1 thieving. Does anyone know if that is a decent rate for thieving at that level? And if it is even decent at lower levels, at what level does another method become better than it? It would be awesome if people could provide some info on low-level thieving activities here, as that would factor in to my decision on whether or not to add "One-Clicking the Winter Garden" into my guide as well. I might do it on my own time for fun, but college is busy and life is lively.

Edit: Actually, would anyone be interested if I ran modular arithmetic tests on herb gathering from the gardens? I'm not sure on the herbs/hour and all of that, but I do know that the ratio is similar, if not the same, as the ratio of herbs obtained from killing chaos druids.

Edited by Peregrine