POLL: What is your opinion on the recent Hitpoints/Constitution update?

Cowman_133

This week's poll asks:

What is your opinion on the recent Hitpoints/Constitution update?

• I support the change.
  • I am neutral.
  • I do not support the change.

>>> Vote Now! <> View the Results <<<

Still see the old poll? Press [CTRL+F5] or [Apple+R] to force a full reload of the page.

Would you like to see your poll question on the main page? Submit one here!

1.png
generic_signature.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems unnecessary to me. Jagex said they did it because it is discouraging for new players to hit a lot of 0s and 1s. By multiplying constitution by 10 to get life points, new players would get to hit bigger numbers which should make them feel good.. but by doing that, they also receive 10x as much damage so wouldn't that just put them right back to square 1? >_< I don't mind them separating health points from the skill itself, but I feel like the whole multiply by 10 thing is silly.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

It seems unnecessary to me. Jagex said they did it because it is discouraging for new players to hit a lot of 0s and 1s. By multiplying constitution by 10 to get life points, new players would get to hit bigger numbers which should make them feel good.. but by doing that, they also receive 10x as much damage so wouldn't that just put them right back to square 1? >_< I don't mind them separating health points from the skill itself, but I feel like the whole multiply by 10 thing is silly.

I agree, it does seem unnecessary. I suppose I'll grow accustomed to the change sooner or later, but in the meantime I find it to be an annoyance. There just doesn't appear to be much benefit to this update, in all honesty. :mellow:

(I do think "Constitution" suits the skill's name better than "Hitpoints", however.)

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

I think it was a nice change. Previously, the zeroes you see in game can be due to either the activation of defence itself, or because of you hitting a digit smaller than 1 that rounds down to 0. With the new system, I seem to be taking small, but siginificant damage from monsters whenever I'm not wearing armor, emphasizing their importance. Likewise, your Attack should be more helpful in dealing at least SOMETHING over 0, and any zero you see now would be due to defence and the rounding down of the 0.1-0.9 damage of the new point system, a small loss of actual damage compared to the past.

I wonder if this has an effect on all the PKing pures though.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I like it. Not so much the big numbers as much as the fact that hits are more accurate. Unicorn heals me for the full 149 damage now, and not 14. I'd assume things like weakening TDs shields would be easier as well since you're now able to hit what used to be fractions of a hit thought I could be wrong. Other than that I don't see much difference than the old system, they just tacked a 0 to everything hp related. People will dislike it, but give it time and it'll be accepted as "normal".

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I like it.

Before, the hits would round down, but now it shows the EXACT "decimal" place, resulting in more exp/hour.

And it's about time we start getting more health...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I am neutral as it changes none of the gameplay whatsoever.

Agreed. The larger numbers will take a while to get used to but I think in the end it will only be beneficial.

2dvjurb.png

Agreed. The larger numbers will take a while to get used to but I think in the end it will only be beneficial.

It IS beneficial. Figures that used to be rounded down before now show the correct "decimal" place, resulting in slightly more exp.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I chose support the change - I'll still call it Hitpoints though

Jabawoki13.png

Jabawoki13.png

Achievement Diaries

Completed: Lumbridge, Falador, Seers, Varrock, Fremennik and Karamja

Finished Hard: Ardougne

Music Tracks - 703/704

Nomad killed at 114 combat Slayer drops: Black Mask x2 Clue scroll rewards: Guthix Platebody - 900k, Guthix F Helm 1mil, Bandos Kite - 2.3mil

I really support this:

By doing this they can add "constitution boosting gear (or pots etc)"

Meaning your constitution level would show: 110/99.. Thus MAX hitpoints would be increased by 110 points. This is a perfect way to increase the max hitpoints cap and thus is very efficient in the way of combating the real problem of high hits.

Also it shows a much bigger diversity in hits, which is kind of fun :P.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

If I wanted to hit hundreds of damage, I've played games like WoW, LineAge 2 etc etc

I do not understand these replies (probably because I havent played either of those games) but is having a lot amount of HP all that makes Runescape unique?

If I wanted to hit hundreds of damage, I've played games like WoW, LineAge 2 etc etc

I do not understand these replies (probably because I havent played either of those games) but is having a lot amount of HP all that makes Runescape unique?

Having 99 hp as the cap and low hits indeed made Runescape unique. This change is the reason why people are saying "Runescape is dead again" etc etc etc.

Just because Constitution simulates games like Earthbound does NOT mean Runescape isn't a special game anymore.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I really support this:

Meaning your constitution level would show: 110/99.. Thus MAX hitpoints would be increased by 110 points. This is a perfect way to increase the max hitpoints cap and thus is very efficient in the way of combating the real problem of high hits.

I agree. The point wasn't the whole 'beginners don't like being hit for 1' thing, that's a side effect, it was to break the bond between your Hitpoints and your Hitpoints skill level, allowing boosters to your max hp instead of your actual hp. I think we'll find that this update will get a lot more support once we start to see these Constitution boosters.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I really support this:

I agree. The point wasn't the whole 'beginners don't like being hit for 1' thing, that's a side effect, it was to break the bond between your Hitpoints and your Hitpoints skill level, allowing boosters to your max hp instead of your actual hp. I think we'll find that this update will get a lot more support once we start to see these Constitution boosters.

Hence I think it would've been a more clever move to combine such things: now it's mostly that people don't see the point (many people seem to be unable to think futher ahead than). ANd hence label it as useless (or even "bad").. If they showed a use of the update (by ie adding a few constitution boosting potions) it would've gained much more support!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I really support this:

Actually the HP update was two separate updates in itself. Neither update needed the other to be implemented.

Update 1) Constitution and "HP" are split into two separate things. This can be done just as effectively without making everything 10x, so hitting in the hundreds and separating the skills are not linked at all. Instead of giving 10 hp per 1 constitution level it would have been just 1 HP per constitution level.

This was by far the best update they have done in a long time, as it opens doors to ALOT of new content. Imagine a boss-monster that lowers your constitution to 30, so you cant eat above 300 hp. Or weapons that lower your opponents constitution. I can see pures going ga-ga all over this update because they are weapons that essentially prevent you to "safe" (not that I care about safing, I'm just saying).

Update 2) Everything is multiplied by 10x. This update was done for the newbies, but as a byproduct the update also makes everything more accurate for everyone. Everyone hits more, and everyone gets hit more due to the decimal system. There are also some great byrpducts of this update too, for example ferocious rings. If you hit a .1 with ferocious ring before this update, you hit a 0. Now if you hit a .1 (1 damage) after this update you deal 4.1 (41 damgage) with the .1 hit. So with things like this you are dealing far more damage than previous to this update. As some stated before +1, +2 and +3 str also have a use now as you don't need +4 just to hit more damage points anymore.

I have already started to adjust to the HP splats, so I can say I'm neutral on the subject of update 2. Its really not all that bad once you adapt to what is a high hit and what isn't. Update 1 was really a good thing however.

I definitely support it. It allows for more precise combat due to being able to now hit "44"s or such which would have been just a 4 before. It will take awhile to get used to I think, but most changes do. Like others though, I'll still call is hitpoints/hp. I don't like the name Constitution.

1icyna.png

I support the change, don't like the naming of Constitution.

Here's Why:

1) We can now separate the difference between 'missing' on an attack and a very weak hit.

-This INCREASES the usefulness of the defense skill and armor as you have to be more defensive to receive '0' damage.

-This applies both ways, so more damage will be dealt total.

2) An increase in fidelity is ALWAYS a good thing.

-It shows a willingness to change and a look at the currently established systems. Since the new way was deemed 'better' by those in power, we'll assume they liked it more.

-Which means that they would be willing to look at other things that haven't kept up with the recent standard of updates. (Heritage from RSC)

3) Its cool to work with higher numbers, although I'd be the same if we would be hitting 0.1 instead.

4) Constitution is not a good name.

-If I abbreviated a skill as 'Con,' would I be referring to the new Constitution or the classic Construction?

I've never seen Sixth Sense nor Inception nor many other popular movies and I intend to keep it that way.

I think the best part of the update is watching people whining and screeching and boo-hooing over not being able to drop the last digit and tell if they need to eat. It's been funny, especially the "riot" I saw on world 66. Other than that, I haven't cared. I don't really enjoy combat so I don't do much of it. This update puts more stress on defense rather than strength, so in that respect, I guess I like it, since my def has always been my number one combat skill. All in all, it really doesn't matter to me. They could change it to we have 9.90 hp instead of 99 or 990, and I'd still not care.

QUESTION.........

Has there ever been an update that Jagex actually undid/removed/put back just because of player complaint? For some reason, I do not think that has or ever would happen.

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

I really support this:

Actually the HP update was two separate updates in itself. Neither update needed the other to be implemented.

Update 1) Constitution and "HP" are split into two separate things. This can be done just as effectively without making everything 10x, so hitting in the hundreds and separating the skills are not linked at all. Instead of giving 10 hp per 1 constitution level it would have been just 1 HP per constitution level.

This was by far the best update they have done in a long time, as it opens doors to ALOT of new content. Imagine a boss-monster that lowers your constitution to 30, so you cant eat above 300 hp. Or weapons that lower your opponents constitution. I can see pures going ga-ga all over this update because they are weapons that essentially prevent you to "safe" (not that I care about safing, I'm just saying).

Update 2) Everything is multiplied by 10x. This update was done for the newbies, but as a byproduct the update also makes everything more accurate for everyone. Everyone hits more, and everyone gets hit more due to the decimal system. There are also some great byrpducts of this update too, for example ferocious rings. If you hit a .1 with ferocious ring before this update, you hit a 0. Now if you hit a .1 (1 damage) after this update you deal 4.1 (41 damgage) with the .1 hit. So with things like this you are dealing far more damage than previous to this update. As some stated before +1, +2 and +3 str also have a use now as you don't need +4 just to hit more damage points anymore.

I have already started to adjust to the HP splats, so I can say I'm neutral on the subject of update 2. Its really not all that bad once you adapt to what is a high hit and what isn't. Update 1 was really a good thing however.

Very well said. I totally agree.

I really support this:

This was well said.

I find myself neutral on #1 and #2 infuriates me.

Therefore, I vote "take the garbage out!".

And for all those that say#1 is so significant, I guarantee you that even in 3 years from now people will still have trouble finding items that make it significant.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol