Official Parkour / Freerunning Topic

3PointMan

"That's why me and my friends got into it. Saves us considerable time. "

I love parkour, I've always wanted to take it up. I don't see its practical use, though...I mean, parkour would be the coolest thing in the world as a way to look sweet...but...I don't understand how it would save time?

hmolsig.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True parkour takes a simplistic elegance to look good and work properly, that is get you from A to B ad fast as possible using as little energy as possible. The best just flow.

That's why me and my friends got into it. Saves us considerable time.

Faster than a car...?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

True parkour takes a simplistic elegance to look good and work properly, that is get you from A to B ad fast as possible using as little energy as possible. The best just flow.

Faster than a car...?

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyCTvChHavQ

Popoto.~<3

Faster than a car...?

None of us have Ps yet. Besides, we always catch a train to places because it's cheaper (free if jumping is you thing.)

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I've always rather wanted to learn, as I'm a rock climber and a runner currently. However, I'm running very competitively in XC and Track and don't want a stupid mistake to mess that up, and I have no idea where to begin :oops:

I do know that David Belle wins :thumbup:

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

I've always rather wanted to learn, as I'm a rock climber and a runner currently. However, I'm running very competitively in XC and Track and don't want a stupid mistake to mess that up, and I have no idea where to begin :oops:

I do know that David Belle wins :thumbup:

Firstly, learn how to roll and land properly, there are many videos on YouTube and if you learn these first it should minimise any injuries. From there practice things such as vaults and a simple wall climb (again, many videos on YouTube.)

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I get what he's saying. Parkour has become kind of viral on the web, so a lot of nerds who don't play actual sports like to pretend to be athletic by jumping over short fences and walls. Makes sense.

Parkour is amazingly useful. True parkour is not glorified though- most people glorify freerunning, or tricking. True parkour takes a simplistic elegance to look good and work properly, that is get you from A to B ad fast as possible using as little energy as possible. The best just flow.

You can't glorify Parkour. Once you glorify it, it becomes free running. Parkour doesn't consist of flips and twists and all that flair, it's running, jumping, and vaulting. Flips and twists are added to make Free Running.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

• 2 months later...

Haha, I LOVE that part.

Is it just me, or does Parkour seem incredibly nerdy...

It isn't nerdy, but a lot of nerds think it's cool and try to learn it because of Assassin's Creed and Mirrors Edge.

I get what he's saying. Parkour has become kind of viral on the web, so a lot of nerds who don't play actual sports like to pretend to be athletic by jumping over short fences and walls. Makes sense.

Parkour is amazingly useful. True parkour is not glorified though- most people glorify freerunning, or tricking. True parkour takes a simplistic elegance to look good and work properly, that is get you from A to B ad fast as possible using as little energy as possible. The best just flow.

Nice description.

"That's why me and my friends got into it. Saves us considerable time. "

I love parkour, I've always wanted to take it up. I don't see its practical use, though...I mean, parkour would be the coolest thing in the world as a way to look sweet...but...I don't understand how it would save time?

It's VERY practical if your on a college campus and have to make it across campus for a class if you are late. Cars won't help because a lot of times cars can't drive on certain places on the campus.

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

I prefer parkour over freerunning since I find it challenging to do flips (I have spent countless hours trying stationary flips, even on a trampoline and just cannot perfect them). I used to be quite good at it, but I stopped for about a year and never really got back into it. Saying that though, I've really improved my pharaoh climb.

I prefer parkour over freerunning since I find it challenging to do flips (I have spent countless hours trying stationary flips, even on a trampoline and just cannot perfect them). I used to be quite good at it, but I stopped for about a year and never really got back into it. Saying that though, I've really improved my pharaoh climb.

I can't flip at all anymore. It's been years since I noticed the physics of my body so I'm at ground zero all over again with learning centre of balance, weight etc. Gunna get into it seriously later in the year when I'm feeling better, atm all I can do is just work on toning and my muscles.

Popoto.~<3

I am attempting to get into Parkour. I don't have anywhere to practice it, but I'm trying to start by learning the basic moves (PK roll, wallflip, wall up) etc. So far I can almost do a back handspring, which isn't really a PK move but it certainly helps the strength of my shoulders for other moves like the front handspring (Which I have tried but find entirely different to the back handspring). What I mean by almost is that I can do it on a thin mattress, I haven't moved to doing it on grass yet. I will probably try soon.

I learned to do a backflip incorrectly, all I can do is one of those lame throw-yourself-backwards-on-a-trampoline moves, which is necessary for a back handspring but completely useless if I want to do a backflip on the ground.

Anyone have tips for moving a front flip from a trampoline to the ground? I've tried it a few times but it hurts my ankles so much that I know I'm doing something completely wrong.

C2b6gs7.png

I am attempting to get into Parkour. I don't have anywhere to practice it, but I'm trying to start by learning the basic moves (PK roll, wallflip, wall up) etc.

Flips and Spins are freerunning moves, except in situations which require it, such as an underbar. But any spins and flips done to just 'show off' are freerunning moves. Parkour is the most basic element of movement, while freerun builds on this and adds tricks.

Anyone have tips for moving a front flip from a trampoline to the ground? I've tried it a few times but it hurts my ankles so much that I know I'm doing something completely wrong.

Can you land it? Or do you not rotate fully around?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I learned to do a backflip incorrectly, all I can do is one of those lame throw-yourself-backwards-on-a-trampoline moves, which is necessary for a back handspring but completely useless if I want to do a backflip on the ground.

For the backflip, you'll just have to do some muscle memory. Don't throw yourself back, jump straight up, and THEN throw your head back and kick your legs around. Make sure to jump up and not back.

For the front flip, are you rolling, or just landing? If you're rolling, your ankles shouldn't feel much, as you don't land on your heels, you land on the balls of your feet, and then immediately fall into a roll.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I can land it (In a crouch) but it hurts.

For the backflip, you'll just have to do some muscle memory. Don't throw yourself back, jump straight up, and THEN throw your head back and kick your legs around. Make sure to jump up and not back.

For the front flip, are you rolling, or just landing? If you're rolling, your ankles shouldn't feel much, as you don't land on your heels, you land on the balls of your feet, and then immediately fall into a roll.

You mean doing a PK roll afterwards?

C2b6gs7.png

My backflip is becoming worse. I used to be able to land it, but after taking a break for a while it scares me again.

God dammit.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yes, if you're going from a trampoline to the ground, the roll will be beneficial in the long run, as it takes some pressure off your joints from the impact.

Yes, if you're going from a trampoline to the ground, the roll will be beneficial in the long run, as it takes some pressure off your joints from the impact.

I didn't mean that literally (Should have phrased it better), I mean I know how to do a good in-place (i.e. from a level jump) front flip on a trampoline, and I'm trying to learn to do it on the ground properly.

E: Sorry something went wrong with the quotes.

C2b6gs7.png

I didn't mean that literally (Should have phrased it better), I mean I know how to do a good in-place (i.e. from a level jump) front flip on a trampoline, and I'm trying to learn to do it on the ground properly.

Ah, in that case, one thing you can do is strengthen your legs so you can jump higher. Keep doing it on the trampoline until you can do it in your sleep so you can get some rotation down. Then keep doing it on the trampoline, but don't bounce. Stand still on the trampoline, and then do a front flip. The tension on the trampoline will give you some extra bounce than you would on the ground, but not so much as you would actually bouncing, so it's a good transition. Once you can do that, try standing on the bar of the trampoline and try front flipping. BE CAREFUL. I suggest jumping forward while doing this to prevent an accident on the bar. If you're not 100% confident, then DON'T DO IT. Once you're comfortable with these, then work on the ground. I'd recommend getting a spotter while you do it. The strengthening of your legs will allow you to jump high (high enough to get a full rotation), and the rotation practice on the trampoline will allow you to rotate faster.

I am attempting to get into Parkour. I don't have anywhere to practice it, but I'm trying to start by learning the basic moves (PK roll, wallflip, wall up) etc. So far I can almost do a back handspring, which isn't really a PK move but it certainly helps the strength of my shoulders for other moves like the front handspring (Which I have tried but find entirely different to the back handspring). What I mean by almost is that I can do it on a thin mattress, I haven't moved to doing it on grass yet. I will probably try soon.

Well first, wallflips aren't basic parkour moves :P Basic would be, PK rolls, vaults and underbars.

And for trampoline, start off in crouch, and just put your hands down and basically handstand, and flip over. The only part you really have to stress on is jumping hard, and high. You get what you put into it. And, TUCK.

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

Ah, in that case, one thing you can do is strengthen your legs so you can jump higher. Keep doing it on the trampoline until you can do it in your sleep so you can get some rotation down. Then keep doing it on the trampoline, but don't bounce. Stand still on the trampoline, and then do a front flip. The tension on the trampoline will give you some extra bounce than you would on the ground, but not so much as you would actually bouncing, so it's a good transition. Once you can do that, try standing on the bar of the trampoline and try front flipping. BE CAREFUL. I suggest jumping forward while doing this to prevent an accident on the bar. If you're not 100% confident, then DON'T DO IT. Once you're comfortable with these, then work on the ground. I'd recommend getting a spotter while you do it. The strengthening of your legs will allow you to jump high (high enough to get a full rotation), and the rotation practice on the trampoline will allow you to rotate faster.

I've done it a few times on the ground, I can do it "in my sleep" too. Also, I've gotten rid of most of my confidence issues. Here's the problem; My trampoline has a net (Which has saved my neck more than a few times), making it impossible to do a flip into the trampoline.

Wait a minute, that doesn't add up. I can take part of it down.

Thanks for the advice people. :-) Much appreciated.

C2b6gs7.png

• 2 weeks later...