Official Parkour / Freerunning Topic

3PointMan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its up in the north west of england. ill try googling now :)

Couldnt find anything close :\ Any suggestions on how to start off? Theres not that many places where i could practice where i live :(

I'd start off at a gym, to be honest. Make sure you have stamina and can run, do some pullups, strengthen your upper body a bit, and then basically start off anywhere. If you see a place where you can do something parkour, do it. Stay off roofs for now.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I'd start off at a gym, to be honest. Make sure you have stamina and can run, do some pullups, strengthen your upper body a bit, and then basically start off anywhere. If you see a place where you can do something parkour, do it. Stay off roofs for now.

Dont think there is any gyms around my area. Ill keep looking, but if not then any ideas on how to start off? :)

Work on vaults and rolls. Youtube vault (kash, dash, monkey, kong, thief, lazy) tutorials and go from there.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Work on vaults and rolls. Youtube vault (kash, dash, monkey, kong, thief, lazy) tutorials and go from there.

Thanks, ill try that :) thanks for the help both of you :)

If there isn't a gym, just work on your strength at home. Do some pushups (of varying styles), crunches (of varying styles), if you can, get a pullup bar, that'll help a lot. If not, look for a park or something, they usually have those bars you can use. Work on just regular pullups, as well as muscle ups. Work on your roll as number one priority after you have your strength (to where you're comfortable with it). Then as jarerkd00d said, just work on your vaults, once you're comfortable, work on your cat grabs and climbing lower walls, then work your way up. Do most of these with a spotter, doing it by yourself can lead to serious injury. And if no ones around, well then you just might be [cabbage] out of luck.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

If there isn't a gym, just work on your strength at home. Do some pushups (of varying styles), crunches (of varying styles), if you can, get a pullup bar, that'll help a lot. If not, look for a park or something, they usually have those bars you can use. Work on just regular pullups, as well as muscle ups. Work on your roll as number one priority after you have your strength (to where you're comfortable with it). Then as jarerkd00d said, just work on your vaults, once you're comfortable, work on your cat grabs and climbing lower walls, then work your way up. Do most of these with a spotter, doing it by yourself can lead to serious injury. And if no ones around, well then you just might be [cabbage] out of luck.

ill try and get a pull up bar soon then get workin :D. Thanks for the help :)

I kinda want to learn this for seve3ral reasons. 1. I'm Sure it build strength 2. It might impress friends /ladies(I know this was addressed before, but hey bonuses are bonuses) 3. I'm sure it would help with self confidence

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Okay....?

Just do what I and other people have said to start.

Some basic strength training is good, work on vaults and cats, have fun with it.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

This is actually something ive really wanted to do for a while but did not know how to get into it

In general im a pretty fit guy into kickboxin so im pretty flexible

but can you guys recommend me any videos or sites where i can start of as theres no parkour gyms here in england

in my city

thanks.

EDIT : Ive read some of the previous posts and see that bodyweight conditioning is helpful

which is ok as its part of my everyday routine Ill google some of this stuff

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanCurrent

http://www.youtube.com/user/3runTube

Just youtube _____ vault tutorial and you should find plenty.

Some basic vaults are, monkey, kong, dash, thief, lazy, speed, and kash.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

its up in the north west of england. ill try googling now :)

Couldnt find anything close :\ Any suggestions on how to start off? Theres not that many places where i could practice where i live :(

The world is your training ground.

You can practice on ANYTHING, as long as you don't live in complete fields, and even then you can practice rolls.

FEARLESStag.jpg
stuff.png

what i'm doing now:

soundcloud.com/student1

I didn't mean that literally (Should have phrased it better), I mean I know how to do a good in-place (i.e. from a level jump) front flip on a trampoline, and I'm trying to learn to do it on the ground properly.

E: Sorry something went wrong with the quotes.

Ah, in that case, one thing you can do is strengthen your legs so you can jump higher. Keep doing it on the trampoline until you can do it in your sleep so you can get some rotation down. Then keep doing it on the trampoline, but don't bounce. Stand still on the trampoline, and then do a front flip. The tension on the trampoline will give you some extra bounce than you would on the ground, but not so much as you would actually bouncing, so it's a good transition. Once you can do that, try standing on the bar of the trampoline and try front flipping. BE CAREFUL. I suggest jumping forward while doing this to prevent an accident on the bar. If you're not 100% confident, then DON'T DO IT. Once you're comfortable with these, then work on the ground. I'd recommend getting a spotter while you do it. The strengthening of your legs will allow you to jump high (high enough to get a full rotation), and the rotation practice on the trampoline will allow you to rotate faster.

I've done it a few times on the ground, I can do it "in my sleep" too. Also, I've gotten rid of most of my confidence issues. Here's the problem; My trampoline has a net (Which has saved my neck more than a few times), making it impossible to do a flip into the trampoline.

Wait a minute, that doesn't add up. I can take part of it down.

Thanks for the advice people. :-) Much appreciated.

If you're doing a front flip, for the love of God, put your hand up before you do the flip. I see so many people just chuck it without full raising their arms upward prior to jumping, and sometimes it's funny and the other times it's just scary. Raise you're arms so you can actually create rotational momentum, or expect butt pains for a while.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Okay, I've started doing some basic crunches and pushups every night.

Not very much though, I just wanted to do something for 5-10 minutes every night.

I've started off pretty small and was just wondering what I should change for it to be more effective.

I have been doing 3 sets of 10 pushups (I could probably do 3 sets of 15 or 20 if I really tried)

3 sets of 30 regular crunches, and 3 sets of 20 bicycle crunches.

I will probably increase all of the reps by quite a few in a couple of days though.

What should I change keeping in mind I would prefer under 10 minutes?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Okay, I've started doing some basic crunches and pushups every night.

Not very much though, I just wanted to do something for 5-10 minutes every night.

I've started off pretty small and was just wondering what I should change for it to be more effective.

I have been doing 3 sets of 10 pushups (I could probably do 3 sets of 15 or 20 if I really tried)

3 sets of 30 regular crunches, and 3 sets of 20 bicycle crunches.

I will probably increase all of the reps by quite a few in a couple of days though.

What should I change keeping in mind I would prefer under 10 minutes?

I'd just vary your pushups, do some wide, some close, some regular, some psuedo, etc. Same with your crunches, and if possible, get a pull-up bar.

each day switch up the type of crunches/pushups and the order. So one day you'll do "Normal, wide, diamond (hands together)" and the next day you might do "diamond, normal, wide" It's not much but it just gives the muscles some confusion so it doesn't plateau.

Popoto.~<3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Can anyone do an inward wallflip here?

I tried at the gym, I could do it with slight help, I would love to perfect it though. My friend can do it flawlessly and it amazes me.

BUMP@@@@

The only gym in my town won't let people in free gym do flips.

[bleep]ing pisses me off.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.