Mini-Profile: Have Age, Gender and Interests displayed

So, I just noticed on the mini-profile on the left of the post, it doesn't display Age, Gender or Interests.

Why aren't they shown, first of all? I think we should have the option to show these, as a lot of forums do this and it's not like it affects much anyway.

Just a mini-suggestion for the mini-profile.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Some people have huge epic paragraphs in their interests section which would probably stretch out a short post if you know what I mean.. I wouldn't mind seeing age/gender appear there though, but it's not really necessary (but I'm sure you know that :P).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Some people have huge epic paragraphs in their interests section which would probably stretch out a short post if you know what I mean.. I wouldn't mind seeing age/gender appear there though, but it's not really necessary (but I'm sure you know that :P).

People do that with location too. <_<

We can have the option to show age and interests or not. Gender, however, should be added as an extra line IMO, just like join date, post count, group, etc.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I disagree displaying age and gender in that area would just encourage sexism and ageism.

As if its right there and you don't have to go look people will easily call up the arguments like "She can't know shes a girl" "Your a creepy old guy, you shouldn't even be playing games pervert" "Your just a kid I'm older I know better" etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Displaying gender is more informative, but people might get into the habit of looking at age and judging on that.

So maybe gender, but not age.

I have to admit i love the task of identifying people by gender by posting style with nothing overt - sometimes i've thought female posters were male, and men were women.

also - think of how many people think darkrick is a woman due to his avatar. LOL

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Displaying gender is more informative, but people might get into the habit of looking at age and judging on that.

So maybe gender, but not age.

I have to admit i love the task of identifying people by gender by posting style with nothing overt - sometimes i've thought female posters were male, and men were women.

also - think of how many people think darkrick is a woman due to his avatar. LOL

I had an e-crush on darkrick for the first year of me being here.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Tbh, even when I had my gender noted under my avatar on the old forums, people still called me a guy >_<

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Looking at this thread, one thing becomes very clear to me... :geek: ... We need switches on everything on the profile in order to control ability to view on both the "Mini-profile" and the "Main Profile Page" ... Privacy freaks could have it their way, those who aren't worried could have it theirs, and those who are a mix of the two could also have it their way as well. O:) ... BTW, Admins would obviously have full view of any and every user's profile, no matter what the user has set. Bright side, at least you don't have to worry about trouble there. B)

As for anyone who thinks for some crazy reason that it just is not necessary, put yourself in another person's shoes first... You will find you do not have an argument to stand on. You are not that other person, and can never be. About all you can do is call them paranoid, but that would be kinda rude. :shame:

@Tripsis: I've been called a girl before by accident... You should have seen the hilarious posts when people learned the hard way that I was male. :P

~Mr. D. V. "That ^ is really the only answer to this situation..." Devnull

(p.s.: I realize my voice sounds a little overly scathing... Not exactly intended, Sorry... I only just woke up recently, and I'm having mood swings. :anxious: ...)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

it's the internet - does it really matter what age and gender the other posters are?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

it's the internet - does it really matter what age and gender the other posters are?
It might not to some of us, but it is best and most wise to not block those who differ in opinion to us from having their choice as well. B)

~D. V. "Wisdom allows rule-abiding freedom of expression..." Devnull

(p.s.: Das, I'm not trying to be a pain here... Quite the opposite, in fact... I just don't see the point in not giving the option, even if we must wait a while in order for it to exist and be usable.)

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Despite the fact I've often been called "she" I still think its a bad idea to display gender and age in a place which takes no effort to load, for the reasons listed above.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It might not to you, but different people have different opinions, so I think the option should be given.

@ Paw: This isn't RSOF. We're not the "making fun of others" type.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Some aren't.

But we do have our trolls, I've never seen a forum yet where age and gender are displayed so freely that doesnt have people turning to sexism and ageism in debates etc.

And at the end of the day like someone else its the internet does it really matter?

Sure have em on profiles, but next to posts is unnecessary. The other info has relevance in how you read their posts, even location as it allows you to judge how well they SHOULD know english and some of the local terminology they are going to use. But what difference does age and gender make? Nothing, if it does you are being biased based on gender and age; thus ageist and sexist

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It might not to some of us, but it is best and most wise to not block those who differ in opinion to us from having their choice as well. B)

(p.s.: Das, I'm not trying to be a pain here... Quite the opposite, in fact... I just don't see the point in not giving the option, even if we must wait a while in order for it to exist and be usable.)

Problem is, you talk like this kind of stuff can be done with a snap of the fingers.

It could be simple, it could not be. But I honestly don't see why it's urgent enough to merit the one or two coders available diverting their attention from RL and the rest of tip.it's coding needs.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Well, didn't YOU make the mistake of not fully reading my post!?!?! :angry:

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Problem is, you talk like this kind of stuff can be done with a snap of the fingers.

It could be simple, it could not be. But I honestly don't see why it's urgent enough to merit the one or two coders available diverting their attention from RL and the rest of tip.it's coding needs.

I'm not talking about fully diverting them, or making it really urgent in any way. I even understand it might not be anywhere near simple! :geek: ... All I'm asking for is that they go at it when they have absolutely nothing else to do. Or they're bored and want to change what they're doing. B)

You didn't read my "p.s.:" to Das in that post, did you??? Read it already!!! Or do you, for some odd reason, like trolling to make me (and possibly others) angry??? :x ... I seriously don't mind if it takes some time, as long as it finally will happen... Just as I was, opinion-wise, about features back when this forum was on PhpBB3.0 ... O:)

~Mr. D. V. "I am not as you think I am..." Devnull

All I'm asking for is that they go at it when they have absolutely nothing else to do.

Unfortunately there is always something that needs to be done :(

Posted Image

All I'm asking for is that they go at it when they have absolutely nothing else to do.
Unfortunately there is always something that needs to be done :(
<*Drops his jaw...*>

Oh... #-o ... Thanks for the heads-up. :anxious:

I guess the Admins will do it if they wish to, then. I just didn't see any good reason to not do it, especially the way I suggested. :| ... But if they do it, I would be thankful that they did. :D

~D. V. "Here's to a hope for the bright side..." Devnull

[hide]

Well, didn't YOU make the mistake of not fully reading my post!?!?! :angry:

<<<Quote Snip>>>

I'm not talking about fully diverting them, or making it really urgent in any way. I even understand it might not be anywhere near simple! :geek: ... All I'm asking for is that they go at it when they have absolutely nothing else to do. Or they're bored and want to change what they're doing. B)

You didn't read my "p.s.:" to Das in that post, did you??? Read it already!!! Or do you, for some odd reason, like trolling to make me (and possibly others) angry??? :x ... I seriously don't mind if it takes some time, as long as it finally will happen... Just as I was, opinion-wise, about features back when this forum was on PhpBB3.0 ... O:)

~Mr. D. V. "I am not as you think I am..." Devnull

[/hide]

Perhaps tone your posts down a bit, you come across as very rude there. :thumbup:

Anyway, I see no need for these things to be displayed beside posts. As das said, does it matter what their age or gender is? If you are really that interested, you can click on their profile to find out the information. However, in a post, the information simply plays no part in being seen. Would it aid someone whilst reading a post to see that they are female? Male? 18? 40? I highly doubt it, and if the need did come up to bring up your age or gender, then ou can simply state it in the post.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

<<<Quote Hyper-Snip>>>

Perhaps tone your posts down a bit, you come across as very rude there. :thumbup:

Sorry about that... I should have put a note at the bottom, as I didn't mean to seem rude/'overly scathing'/etc. ... I guess it was my interpretation of "y_guy_4_life"s post having this demeaning tone which just happened to set me off. :(

Anyway, I see no need for these things to be displayed beside posts. As das said, does it matter what their age or gender is? If you are really that interested, you can click on their profile to find out the information. However, in a post, the information simply plays no part in being seen. Would it aid someone whilst reading a post to see that they are female? Male? 18? 40? I highly doubt it, and if the need did come up to bring up your age or gender, then ou can simply state it in the post.
In my travels across the web, I've seen many things... Misusage of pronouns, people who acted like an old person was young, or the opposite way around, etc. ... The list goes on... Personally, I just didn't like the idea of deciding for those people how they would handle their stuff. This brought me to the conclusion of having option switches for show/hide on both the main page and mini-profiles. By being non-assuming, and giving all of them options, then the rest get to see the kind of person that someone is and won't make the mistakes that I've seen. That, and the rest of us get thanked (albeit invisibly) for our own non-demeaning behavior. :D

~D. V. "This is probably why I'd dislike being staff... These decisions are a headache." Devnull

it's not that the decisions are a headache , it's that

1) Our coders have a long list of projects and improvements and I don't see how this benefits people other than to satisfy peoples curiosity to save them from clicking a link. I've seen people discriminate against users here because of age and gender before - and i'm not overly keen about making that information available.

2) Not everyone wants to share gender and age. Some people have a right to privacy to not disclose that information and curious minds may annoy and harass them to get it.

3) As much as people say people won't be judged i read the following

In my travels across the web, I've seen many things... Misusage of pronouns, people who acted like an old person was young, or the opposite way around, etc. ... The list goes on... Personally, I just didn't like the idea of deciding for those people how they would handle their stuff

Different adults and children come from different upbringings, cultures and countries where they may or may not speak english or have proper education . Gender has nothing to do with intelligence and this isn't a dating site.

This has minimal use especially as people do fill in the interests field short stories that may stretch the page and this information is already available a click away.

Abraham Lincoln

A few points to cover... not a problem. :^_^:

it's not that the decisions are a headache , it's that

1) Our coders have a long list of projects and improvements and I don't see how this benefits people other than to satisfy peoples curiosity to save them from clicking a link. I've seen people discriminate against users here because of age and gender before - and i'm not overly keen about making that information available.

I'm not trying to overburden those coders either. <*Points at past mentions about developing in spare time only...*> I did, however, find something of both use and interest to the Administration and the Users... By adding the show/hide options, a user could then fill in, but not make public, their birthday/age/gender... Further, it would allow the administration, in the event an account was hacked, to certify who a user is and return their account to them. And that's just alongside leaving the option to reveal who oneself is. ;)

2) Not everyone wants to share gender and age. Some people have a right to privacy to not disclose that information and curious minds may annoy and harass them to get it.
Another reason to add the options, actually... Why, you might ask? Earlier today, I was thinking about hiding my "birth year", but without defeating display of my "age" or "birthday (month/day)" during the year. Unluckily, I found that the option doesn't exist... Alongside the thought of already liking these switches for privacy control/release, that gave me one more reason to wish for them. Anyway, there is always the option to report harassers and let you and the other Admins handle it, right? :smile:

3) As much as people say people won't be judged i read the following
In my travels across the web, I've seen many things... Misusage of pronouns, people who acted like an old person was young, or the opposite way around, etc. ... The list goes on... Personally, I just didn't like the idea of deciding for those people how they would handle their stuff

Different adults and children come from different upbringings, cultures and countries where they may or may not speak english or have proper education . Gender has nothing to do with intelligence and this isn't a dating site.

This has minimal use especially as people do fill in the interests field short stories that may stretch the page and this information is already available a click away.

No argument about this not being one of those awful dating sites. (Honestly, I am rather glad it is not! :thumbsup: ...) However, I just don't like the thought of being potentially over-protective either. At least leave a show/hide for the main profile, even if this isn't given to mini-profiles due to the page length issues? :huh:

~D. V. Devnull

You seem to be missing the point.

this is the internet, people can lie about age, gender and location and even interests, this would not help us at all verify an account especially since it's public information. People can also lie about age/gender and have done so countless times on this forums history. the longer you post, you will quickly learn who is a boy and a girl, old and young, and who is intelligent and not.

As far as removing the birthday year from birthday field - that is how IPB works and if you are that paranoid of people knowing your birthyear - you probably don't want them in general knowing your birthday!

There are no ways to make parts of the profile public and private nor will that ever be an option in all likeihood - fill it in or don't it's optional.

If you want to know more about someone, click the profile, there is really no point cluttering up the actual forum threads with countless drivel of what people put in profiles.

Lets take yours for example (no offense meant of course), on the deflection skin the words "Laying, miserable, in a coffin... Wishing to smash the world's shell and revolutionize the world..." - I mean that's not a real location, and is that necessary? can someone learn something from that? Probably not . Judging by length, your interests would also distort the page

That being said - if you really want to know what someones age and gender is - click the profile - the worst that will happen is you show up in the recent visitors in the profile tab - and hey - that might help us catch stalkers.

Either way, I doubt it will ever be done as many people see no need for such a frivolous and un-needed feature.

Abraham Lincoln