Mini-Profile: Have Age, Gender and Interests displayed

Anyway, I see no need for these things to be displayed beside posts. As das said, does it matter what their age or gender is? If you are really that interested, you can click on their profile to find out the information. However, in a post, the information simply plays no part in being seen. Would it aid someone whilst reading a post to see that they are female? Male? 18? 40? I highly doubt it, and if the need did come up to bring up your age or gender, then ou can simply state it in the post.

If there's no point in displaying things like these, then what's the point of location? Post count? Status? ...etc?

It just irks me to see that some things are displayed but others aren't.

And I understand that some people wish to keep the privacy of themselves. But here, I say again: it is optional to do so. You're not forced to put extra lines on your profile, if you want to, go ahead.

You guys seem to be missing the point of what I'm trying to express...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Anyway, I see no need for these things to be displayed beside posts. As das said, does it matter what their age or gender is? If you are really that interested, you can click on their profile to find out the information. However, in a post, the information simply plays no part in being seen. Would it aid someone whilst reading a post to see that they are female? Male? 18? 40? I highly doubt it, and if the need did come up to bring up your age or gender, then ou can simply state it in the post.

If there's no point in displaying things like these, then what's the point of location? Post count? Status? ...etc?

It just irks me to see that some things are displayed but others aren't.

And I understand that some people wish to keep the privacy of themselves. But here, I say again: it is optional to do so. You're not forced to put extra lines on your profile, if you want to, go ahead.

You guys seem to be missing the point of what I'm trying to express...

Group: Relevant to tell people if your a mod a staff or w/e

Post Count and Join Date: Tell people how long you've been around and how active you are. Active people who've been around a while tend to know what they are on about as they have better game knowledge and clearly share and debate it more.

Location: Gives a indicator towards the kind and level of english you can expect from that person based on if being first or second language and whether they are us or uk. (Eg someone from Florida talking about the second floor and someone from London talking about the second floor mean two entirely different floors. But with location you can see and from a uk stand point read the americans second floor as first floor. Or vice versa the america can read british second floor as third floor)

Status, RSN and Clan: All runescape related info perfect for an rs forum as it allows people to relate your account to you in-game

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'll dissent and support an optional gender button/figurine/field. At least in OT, that's much more needed than a RS status, for example, and I remember enough people (usually girls) adding it to their location. Not only would it help people avoid the constant "I'm a girl!!", but it should also, God forbid, make women visible on the Internet. :razz: I haven't really seen much sexism in these forums, so I doubt that would be an issue.

I really disagree with an age field, though. Too much prejudices concerning age already go around, and nobody needs to know your age when referring to you (as opposed to gender).

[Edit] Huge thanks to Shadow for proving my second point below.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I'll dissent and support an optional gender button/figurine/field. At least in OT, that's much more needed than a RS status, for example, and I remember enough people (usually girls) adding it to their location. Not only would it help people avoid the constant "I'm a girl!!", but it should also, God forbid, make women visible on the Internet. :razz: I haven't really seen much sexism in these forums, so I doubt that would be an issue.

I really disagree with an age field, though. Too much prejudices concerning age already go around, and nobody needs to know your age when referring to you (as opposed to gender).

I'd argue the only reason you don't see sexism so much here is because gender isn't freely displayed right by your posts, thus people do not know if people are guys or gals for the most part and cannot use it as a judging or discriminatory factor.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

i want to have a feature that puts everyone under 16 on my ignore list immediately

Why so? Just because someone is under 16 does not make them annoying or immature. I've encountered many people who are mature for their age here.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Troll much? I would argue that generalizing the content of posts based on the poster's age doesn't show a lot of maturity. Tip.it has several mods and crewbies well under 16, and part of the process of becoming a crewbie/mod is of course checking the content of their posts, naturally more mods than crewbies, but to a considerable extent for both.

C2b6gs7.png

i want to have a feature that puts everyone under 16 on my ignore list immediately

Why so? Just because someone is under 16 does not make them annoying or immature. I've encountered many people who are mature for their age here.

i'm willing to take that risk

Troll much? I would argue that generalizing the content of posts based on the poster's age doesn't show a lot of maturity. Tip.it has several mods and crewbies well under 16, and part of the process of becoming a crewbie/mod is of course checking the content of their posts, naturally more mods than crewbies, but to a considerable extent for both.

^ This in response to that. Age is a terrible thing to generalise on. I've known a few moderators know who ranged from 13 through to 16.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Yeah age is an awful think to generalise on and the fact you do it shows yourself to be immature and to some extent close-minded/unintelligent.

Some of the most immature and idiotic people I know online and IRL are aged 25 - 35, while some of the most mature are like 12 - 16.

Age does not equal maturity.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

[Edit] Huge thanks to Shadow for proving my second point below.

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with having the option to display gender. Yet age seems too much.

I get mistaken for a guy quite a bit over here :o...

• 3 weeks later...

damn son, how brown is your nose ;)

damn son, how brown is your nose ;)

How about avoiding personal attacks?

Please avoid bumping a topic just to get a snide remark in.

(Also, Dsavi is ex-staff.)

Laikrob,

Tip.It Moderator

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?