Tip.it Times March 7 2010

Mirror

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the autotyping I completely agree, jagex can not do much about it and at the ge it is becoming a mess with all the merching clan advertising.

Tirith_Aear.png

jfyat2.jpg

How many RuneScape members does it take to change a lightbulb? 2000. One to change it and 1999 to complain about how the old lightbulb was better.

I dont see the huge fuss about autotypers, just always have your public chat on "hide" and eventually a pmod will mute them anyways.

Obviously didn't read the article.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Personally if I where with jagex I'd add a spam filter to chat, and warn players that if they spam a certain amount of lines per minute that it will result in a temporary chat mute. Nothing large, but like even a 30 minute auto mute would help in solving a lot of these issues.

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader

Article 1: Yeah, autotypers can get annoying, but I've just learned to live with them. In the recent Q&A, a Jmod did say they were going to try to stop merching clans, which would stop most of the autotyping at the ge then.

Article 2: I did notice the ad too when I logged on right after the update (and downtime). I'm P2P though so It didn't really affect me. I'm sure some people dislike it, though. (Like the author of the article)

--Br3tt0wnz

Please visit my new account found

here for stats and other info.

My New Account

2nd one sounded like typical F2P whinning. "AMG we see Members advertising rant!@!@!"

Who gives a crap if you dislike it? You are playing for free, the least you should expect is a bit of advertisement.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

auto-typing: mute because of spam, not because they use an auto-typer. auto-typers are immaterial, and are perfectly acceptable if you are not spamming.

It's not that simple. The rules state that you can not report someone for 'game related spam'. So if I say "b sale" 50 times per minute, you are not 'allowed' to report me.

As for them being acceptable, The rule is not having ANY third party software that directly acts on the game. I would say that a program that types for you works on the game. Why would it be acceptable that someone is too lazy to play the game them selves to choose to cheat?

Ad in disguise: I don't really see how this affects players at all. Surely it is advertising, but it's not a full video advertisement and as such, I don't care. As long as it doesn't interrupt or affect gameplay, players shouldn't complain. If they are, they're complaining for the sake of complaining.

Auto-typing: I agree. Not much you can do.

goblin512.png

I agree with the second article, I dislike the advertisement feeling of the login page now. As a member I don't want to see how Members has an 'Epic' sized world or 'Creature Companions'. Also, I think in general it's a poor thing. It's going against the principles that MMG set out last year. He said he didn't want to make things geared towards advertising members but then he slaps on a huge ad on the login page...

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

1st article: While the autotyping bots are annoying, they're ultimately only as harmful as people allow them to be. A bot that gathers resources for sale or effortlessly grinds a skill is detrimental to legitimate players who've worked for their levels and wealth. An autotyper bot is no more harmful than a human with good typing skills.

If Jagex were to address the problem of price-manipulation clans, I'd prefer them to do it by addressing the price-manipulation directly. Good luck to 'em trying that, though.

2nd article: As the article says, Jagex got rid of the forced video adverts, and they got rid of the in-game adverts for members' content (even though it's claimed that the Gnomecopters were genuinely effective), and they've even removed quite a lot of members' options that f2p used to see and click on. I think, in return for all this, we can jolly well put up with seeing that advert on the way into the game. The website's always had stuff to encourage newbies to subscribe, and it makes little practical difference whether the "advert" is on the website or in the lobby.

The lobby's graphical style is a bit off-putting, but that's a separate whinge.

To the first article: It seems like Jagex says in every single QnA that they really need to do something about the advertisements. But they never do, they have been talking about it for several months...

The second article: I love the lobby/new login system. The advertisement doesn't bother me much, even when I was F2P (I just got members back last week).

Big_Stingman.png

2nd one sounded like typical F2P whinning. "AMG we see Members advertising rant!@!@!"

Who gives a crap if you dislike it? You are playing for free, the least you should expect is a bit of advertisement.

But doesn't it annoy you, a member, that every single time you log in, you also have to go past this annoying advert.

Personally, I support the lobby, not so much the "advertisement" before that, but hasn't really bothered me that much.

My method of avoiding auto-typers: Skill worlds. I have yet to seen any of the annoying auto-typers advertising the merch (price manipulation) clans on there.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

auto-typing: mute because of spam, not because they use an auto-typer. auto-typers are immaterial, and are perfectly acceptable if you are not spamming.

It's not that simple. The rules state that you can not report someone for 'game related spam'. So if I say "b sale" 50 times per minute, you are not 'allowed' to report me.

As for them being acceptable, The rule is not having ANY third party software that directly acts on the game. I would say that a program that types for you works on the game. Why would it be acceptable that someone is too lazy to play the game them selves to choose to cheat?

then i disagree with the rules. It makes no difference to me if you use a "spoken word to text" program to post on the tip.it forums, or chat ingame: it's none of my business and doesn't make a difference to me.

The GE, and sometimes lumbrige autotypers are getting to be ridiculous, any decent PMOD with half a brain should be able to tell the difference between a level 3 spambot for a merch clan, and somebodt trying to run their own bank sale.

This abuse needs to be squashed, pronto!

The whole deal with autotypers doesnt really bother me. Who cares if your chat bar disappears faster? I just put them in my ignore box. Then it's perfectly fine. If anything there is one or two new autotypers every week. Atleast that's what I have noticed.

The whole deal with ads is stupid. I don't care if they are there or not. They should be there and people shouldnt whine about it. When I log in, I click log in, and don't even look at the ad. It's there for five seconds. The five seconds it takes you to move your mouse to the log in button.

329.png

Once again, the first article was definitely NOT edited by anyone, as there are a few glaring mistakes that could not possibly be overlooked by anyone with some semblance of an education. While it would be nice if the writers could proofread and correct their own mistakes as much as possible before submission, it's ultimately the editor's job to make sure that NOTHING is posted without being thoroughly checked for errors.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

This quote is from the first paragraph of the 1st article.

But not only have a certain type of macros grow exponentially since the introduction of the Grand Exchange,they have also become near undetectable and therefore unbannable.

I think this sentence should be "Not only has a certain type of macros grown exponentially [sic] the Grand Exchange, they have also become near undetectable and unbannable."

</end grammar nazi>

I support the 2nd article. I am a paying member and the advert irks me.

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

Article about macros:

If you go on F2P and do normal F2P actions, you can see sooooo many bots, it isn't even funny. The autotyper is clearly the most common, but that's not a real bot. The only thing keeping that character from logging out is the constant typing program. I see bots mining, killing hill giants, straight training, you name it, they are probably doing it. At least that's the case on F2P. For the most part, I've seen a lot of the bots to be male avatars, with black hair and/or black pants. But besides those common features (which not all bots have), they are literally undetectable. And sometimes, even then they have a human playing for them, that or they're programmed so well, that they react differently to each situation! It's not fair. It's not right. And Jagex isn't doing anything about it.

553VriC.png?1

Thanks for the feedback from everyone...

Yes they are annoying, but the greater shock and annoyance is that Jagex is virtually powerless against upholding one of their major rules. And that is the key issue we want to discuss here.

Once again, the first article was definitely NOT edited by anyone, as there are a few glaring mistakes that could not possibly be overlooked by anyone with some semblance of an education. While it would be nice if the writers could proofread and correct their own mistakes as much as possible before submission, it's ultimately the editor's job to make sure that NOTHING is posted without being thoroughly checked for errors.

I can assure you that it was edited before being posted. The editor is only human and sometimes things can slip by them. If you have some suggested edits mirror or myself will gladly take them from you.

This quote is from the first paragraph of the 1st article.

But not only have a certain type of macros grow exponentially since the introduction of the Grand Exchange,they have also become near undetectable and therefore unbannable.

I think this sentence should be "Not only has a certain type of macros grown exponentially [sic] the Grand Exchange, they have also become near undetectable and unbannable."

</end grammar nazi>

I support the 2nd article. I am a paying member and the advert irks me.

Thanks for catching that, not sure how I missed that.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012