Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.it Times March 7 2010

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

evilgeneral4
[ Display Name History ]

evilgeneral4

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:sirbob44
The whole deal with autotypers doesnt really bother me. Who cares if your chat bar disappears faster? I just put them in my ignore box. Then it's perfectly fine. If anything there is one or two new autotypers every week. Atleast that's what I have noticed.

The whole deal with ads is stupid. I don't care if they are there or not. They should be there and people shouldnt whine about it. When I log in, I click log in, and don't even look at the ad. It's there for five seconds. The five seconds it takes you to move your mouse to the log in button.
Posted Image

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
Once again, the first article was definitely NOT edited by anyone, as there are a few glaring mistakes that could not possibly be overlooked by anyone with some semblance of an education. While it would be nice if the writers could proofread and correct their own mistakes as much as possible before submission, it's ultimately the editor's job to make sure that NOTHING is posted without being thoroughly checked for errors.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Aidos Drakon
[ Display Name History ]

Aidos Drakon

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 196 posts
This quote is from the first paragraph of the 1st article.

But not only have a certain type of macros grow exponentially since the introduction of the Grand Exchange,they have also become near undetectable and therefore unbannable.

I think this sentence should be "Not only has a certain type of macros grown exponentially [sic] the Grand Exchange, they have also become near undetectable and unbannable."
</end grammar nazi>

I support the 2nd article. I am a paying member and the advert irks me.

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

Ren
[ Display Name History ]

Ren

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Trollenstein
  • RSN2:Grave Sorrow
  • Clan:DGS
Article about macros:

If you go on F2P and do normal F2P actions, you can see sooooo many bots, it isn't even funny. The autotyper is clearly the most common, but that's not a real bot. The only thing keeping that character from logging out is the constant typing program. I see bots mining, killing hill giants, straight training, you name it, they are probably doing it. At least that's the case on F2P. For the most part, I've seen a lot of the bots to be male avatars, with black hair and/or black pants. But besides those common features (which not all bots have), they are literally undetectable. And sometimes, even then they have a human playing for them, that or they're programmed so well, that they react differently to each situation! It's not fair. It's not right. And Jagex isn't doing anything about it.

553VriC.png?1

Master_Smither
[ Display Name History ]

Master_Smither

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,267 posts
  • RSN:Runescapew44
Thanks for the feedback from everyone...

Yes they are annoying, but the greater shock and annoyance is that Jagex is virtually powerless against upholding one of their major rules. And that is the key issue we want to discuss here.

Once again, the first article was definitely NOT edited by anyone, as there are a few glaring mistakes that could not possibly be overlooked by anyone with some semblance of an education. While it would be nice if the writers could proofread and correct their own mistakes as much as possible before submission, it's ultimately the editor's job to make sure that NOTHING is posted without being thoroughly checked for errors.

I can assure you that it was edited before being posted. The editor is only human and sometimes things can slip by them. If you have some suggested edits mirror or myself will gladly take them from you.

This quote is from the first paragraph of the 1st article.

But not only have a certain type of macros grow exponentially since the introduction of the Grand Exchange,they have also become near undetectable and therefore unbannable.

I think this sentence should be "Not only has a certain type of macros grown exponentially [sic] the Grand Exchange, they have also become near undetectable and unbannable."
</end grammar nazi>

I support the 2nd article. I am a paying member and the advert irks me.

Thanks for catching that, not sure how I missed that.
Click for My Blog

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

lordkafei
[ Display Name History ]

lordkafei

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,123 posts
  • RSN:Kafei Nation
Two articles about advertising: one about corporate advertising and the other about player advertising.

I don't see all the fuss about the new lobby screen. It's not "in your face" at all. IMO, some of you are just a bit too sensitive on this matter.

As for the player-based in-game advertising, I find it lame that they won't let PMods mute spammers. Since this is not something you can really automate, it would seem that you would welcome a trusted human being doing this (and for free, mind you). Also, a longer ignore list would help (I filled mine up last week and am now deleting spammers to make room for new ones).

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS
If the first article was edited, there are some GLARING mistakes that were not caught. I would be willing to volunteer some time to proofread articles each week if that's what it takes. :P It would also keep me updated on runescape news while I was taking a break from the game..

Anyways about the article itself, yes I think bots are a problem, but autotyper bots aren't the real problem. It's so sad that people won't even play the game, they just want the bot to do it for them. What's the point? It serves no purpose... I really hope that Jagex can find something to do about it, and that the problem doesn't grow too severe.

On the second article, I definitely find the advertisement annoying. While I'm currently a free player, the vast majority of my runescape gaming is spent as a member. Members really shouldn't be subjected to that kind of advertising, especially when it makes logging in annoying. (The 4 buttons that look almost identical can sure throw you off if you aren't used to it). However, it's not like it's really a problem. Sure, people have to pay more attention to which button they click on, and sure free players are having members benefits shoved in their faces (and current members are too..) but it doesn't change the gameplay at all. Once you've logged in, it's no different. If they don't decide to remove it, that's there choice.
Posted Image

uath13
[ Display Name History ]

uath13

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • RSN:Lord Uathen
  • Clan:The Pendragonate

I dont see the huge fuss about autotypers, just always have your public chat on "hide" and eventually a pmod will mute them anyways.

You obviously didn't read the whole article :shame: . I even had a few of my P-mod friends try muting some of the bots on world 58 with no success. If they were even shut down at all they were back in action the next day.

I report the same ones almost daily & they're still there. It's like I'm beating my head against the wall... :wall:
Posted Image

3hitm4g3u
[ Display Name History ]

3hitm4g3u

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

2nd one sounded like typical F2P whinning. "AMG we see Members advertising rant!@!@!"

Who gives a crap if you dislike it? You are playing for free, the least you should expect is a bit of advertisement.

This in regards to the second article. Get over it tbh.
Posted Image

Great_one
[ Display Name History ]

Great_one

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  • RSN:Y_z

I dont see the huge fuss about autotypers, just always have your public chat on "hide" and eventually a pmod will mute them anyways.

You obviously didn't read the whole article :shame: . I even had a few of my P-mod friends try muting some of the bots on world 58 with no success. If they were even shut down at all they were back in action the next day.

I report the same ones almost daily & they're still there. It's like I'm beating my head against the wall... :wall:

Don't bother reporting them, it only wastes time that the employees could be spending looking at reports that they can actually do something about.
Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
I can't type 150 wpm. I can't type the same line, over and over again, for hours on end, without making many mistakes. I can't keep my message on screen constantly. Autotypers are gaining a clear advantage to other players, and seeing as this is against the rules, should be banned. I would also like to see their main accounts banned, because they're the ones gaining the most from it.

As far as advertising and f2p goes, I don't care. I'm a career F2P player. You know whats worse than the "subtle" advertising they're using? The FunOrb advertising for members. It requires you to click through after every game you play. Oddly enough, this doesn't bother me either (I still play fun orb as a f2per...)
I also support the video advertisements. It takes me 45 seconds to hop worlds anyway, why not utilize that time to make money? The banner ads are the ones that tick me off, especially when they get ALL of my CPU usage, or ALL of my bandwidth. It disrupts my gameplay more than the video advertisements. I didn't mind the gnomecopters either - its not like they forced you to ride on one.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider
I also dislike the membership buying ads for everyone. It doesn't apply to me and it's ineffective advertising. A much better strategy would be to place a sponsored ad on the general login page and then either a membership ad or no ads based on what version the user chooses. Or just store that information using cookies.

None of this solves the problem that the new login screen doubled the amount of clicks it takes to start playing (no matter what Jagex says, it has). But it's good that they're trying to earn more money and (hopefully) hire more developers.

2496 Completionist

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

I can't type 150 wpm. I can't type the same line, over and over again, for hours on end, without making many mistakes. I can't keep my message on screen constantly. Autotypers are gaining a clear advantage to other players, and seeing as this is against the rules, should be banned. I would also like to see their main accounts banned, because they're the ones gaining the most from it.

As far as advertising and f2p goes, I don't care. I'm a career F2P player. You know whats worse than the "subtle" advertising they're using? The FunOrb advertising for members. It requires you to click through after every game you play. Oddly enough, this doesn't bother me either (I still play fun orb as a f2per...)
I also support the video advertisements. It takes me 45 seconds to hop worlds anyway, why not utilize that time to make money? The banner ads are the ones that tick me off, especially when they get ALL of my CPU usage, or ALL of my bandwidth. It disrupts my gameplay more than the video advertisements. I didn't mind the gnomecopters either - its not like they forced you to ride on one.

+1

I agree with this man here.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

howbadisbad
[ Display Name History ]

howbadisbad

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • RSN:teh stew
  • Clan:Mafia City
Tbh I could care less about autotypers and the adverts. Neither really affect me much. You just get used to them after a while.
Posted Image

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

DragoenMage
[ Display Name History ]

DragoenMage

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • RSN:Dragoen Mage
I don't really see alot of autotypers so i'm not going to coment on that.

The adverts on the login page are more my speed. People can wine and complian all they want about them, but face it runescape survives becuase of memberships which pay for content and severs and cool events like the new Big Ticket. People would never tell Walmart or Costco that thy couldn't promote themselves on thier websites, even flash games like Crush the Castle promote P2P versions of themselves. So why is everyone going nuts over an advert on a website for the owners of that website? the other point of slower log ins becuase of more clicks is just a weak justifcation of the moans over "thier advertising at me..." the time i've saved switching worlds more then makes up for the four, I repeat FOUR, secounds it takes me to click past it. while i will say the F2P is a great part of the game ad some people just don't want to be members the F2P section of the game is also the biggest recrutment pool for new members there is. I would even suggest that everyone play F2P before they become a member, but long time F2P players have to get over thier advertphobia and P2Pers need to get over losing four secounds to a login page.
Cheers!

Dragoen Mage

(A snapy line or quote to make you luagh.)

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider

I don't really see alot of autotypers so i'm not going to coment on that.

The adverts on the login page are more my speed. People can wine and complian all they want about them, but face it runescape survives becuase of memberships which pay for content and severs and cool events like the new Big Ticket. People would never tell Walmart or Costco that thy couldn't promote themselves on thier websites, even flash games like Crush the Castle promote P2P versions of themselves. So why is everyone going nuts over an advert on a website for the owners of that website? the other point of slower log ins becuase of more clicks is just a weak justifcation of the moans over "thier advertising at me..." the time i've saved switching worlds more then makes up for the four, I repeat FOUR, secounds it takes me to click past it. while i will say the F2P is a great part of the game ad some people just don't want to be members the F2P section of the game is also the biggest recrutment pool for new members there is. I would even suggest that everyone play F2P before they become a member, but long time F2P players have to get over thier advertphobia and P2Pers need to get over losing four secounds to a login page.

I don't mind that they're advertising on that screen, I mind that it's bad advertising.

They could have used this update to make members look at another ad before logging in. Consider the percentage of people playing on members worlds to the number of people playing overall, I'd say that even those few seconds would bring in more cash than advertising membership to members. Besides, placing sponsored ads would remind members why they are members and perhaps give a slight incentive to remain a member.

2496 Completionist

A0z9
[ Display Name History ]

A0z9

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:La Vallett1
  • RSN2:La Vallett3
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool
To be honest, I don't really mind some small adverts.
La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

cgc3039
[ Display Name History ]

cgc3039

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • RSN:Code Cgc
1st Article: Auto-typers and even very fast typers are annoying to begin with. Even player Mods annoy me because I can see their text when my chat is clearly set to "OFF".

Jagex need to really implement ways of making them obsolete. Maybe a sign, or maybe an NPC that, for a fee, deliver a message (isn't added to chat window) and you can see all the advertise things by clicking on them.

Place one at GE and maybe one for Player Own Houses, since these tend to be the most congested areas. Maybe even one for certain minigames. Only a suggestion of course, but much like world switchers, they need to make it unnecessary for them, not just ban players, as more will always pop up.

2nd Article: A benefits advertisement isn't really that bad. I can't compare it to days of old where you were constantly teased. Tried to pick-pocket? "Members only feature". Tried to use an item? "Members only feature". Talk to a Member's NPC? "Members only feature".

I'd kill for a button I'll sooner then later mentally ignore then all the past teases.

A0z9
[ Display Name History ]

A0z9

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:La Vallett1
  • RSN2:La Vallett3
  • Clan:The Scrying Pool

2nd Article: A benefits advertisement isn't really that bad. I can't compare it to days of old where you were constantly teased. Tried to pick-pocket? "Members only feature". Tried to use an item? "Members only feature". Talk to a Member's NPC? "Members only feature".

I'd kill for a button I'll sooner then later mentally ignore then all the past teases.

Yeah, it's waaaaaay much better without the "members' only feature" tease. I really do support MMG for that.
La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

waheera1
[ Display Name History ]

waheera1

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
Both good articles I thought.

Autotyping: It's very annoying and people that do it deserve muting, but has anyone else noticed that there's no report option for "spamming" now? That alone irritates me. If someone is spamming I shouldn't have to call in a mod friend just to get them muted.

Advertising: I confess I've always doubted MMG as CEO. The year of updates last year disappointed me on many levels, and the number of huge bugs that have been created in game since he took over have noticeably increased from the previous 3 years I was playing before he came along.

With that in mind, I'm not really all that surprised to see that he's been talking rubbish again. On a professional level, he was wrong to publicly villify his predecessor and on a practical level he hasn't really delivered in the way he ought to have done. There is precisely no need for there to be seperate login buttons (as demonstrated by the previous login system which autodetected member status), therefore the new buttons can serve no purpose other than blatant advertising. Whilst you could argue it demonstrates good business acumen, it is a move diametrically opposed to MMG's alleged stance on advertising. I dislike it a lot, even as a member who knows that the statistical promises on this screen do not live up to the massive improvement from free play to members.

Quick note to those who dismissed the second article as f2p whining: You've missed the point. The article does mention how annoying it is etc, but it makes a key focus on the fact that MMG has gone back on his word and is now forcing free players to view advertising before login. The author wrote a well-balanced editorial on this and should not be slammed just because some readers are "really cool" and like paying for membership and have "1337 sk1llz" etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users