Tip.it Times 14 March 2010

Mirror

They were both very interesting, but I really enjoyed the second article. After being a p-mod for almost 3 years I know the feeling of just wanting to smash my head on the desk. It would be nice if everyone who played rs was forced to read that article because it outlines the most common misconceptions about p-mods and would help answer so many questions before they were even asked.

P.S. Yay for registering just so I could respond to that article haha. :thumbsup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both good articles :grin:

Honestly, I actually tend to forget about the potential for new Dragon weapons. The first article reminded me about the many more weapons JaGeX could add.

As for PMods, I don't find that I see that many. When I have seen them, they seem to be doing a good job. Fishing in the fishing guild comes to mind, where it seems bored players sometimes try their best to fall into the "Offensive Language" category. I think the PMods here have handled it well, trying to stop the problem without resorting to immediately muting.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Oh yeah, and they should add Dragon Satchels to Creature Creation also. #-o

I look at any dragon additions as purely for the compulsive collectors who insist there must be a dragon everything.

Why do we need more midrange items?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Oh yeah, and they should add Dragon Satchels to Creature Creation also. #-o

I look at any dragon additions as purely for the compulsive collectors who insist there must be a dragon everything.

Why do we need more midrange items?

I do not consider Dragon Claws a mid-range weapon ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Both good articles :grin:

Honestly, I actually tend to forget about the potential for new Dragon weapons. The first article reminded me about the many more weapons JaGeX could add.

As for PMods, I don't find that I see that many. When I have seen them, they seem to be doing a good job. Fishing in the fishing guild comes to mind, where it seems bored players sometimes try their best to fall into the "Offensive Language" category. I think the PMods here have handled it well, trying to stop the problem without resorting to immediately muting.

Actually, the number of Pmod have increased dramatically over last 2 years. At least that's how I felt anyways. Since there are so many new security updates being implement into the game, I found it interesting for the role of the pmod, I guess its not as that many things to look as before. The article does bring several good points about reading what Pmods can or can't do, but I feel that most players were just too lazy to go through all that info. For the most part, I just tell them that whatever Jagex want you to know about Pmod, its there, any other speculations that's not covered, well, they are not covered for a reason. I even seen players that set up their own personal goal as to become player mods one day, and got side tracked off the game and end up trying to report all the rule breakers they can find. At least I don't see any overzealous Pmods out there that make it their daily goal to report certain amount of rule breakers, which in my opinion too much work and deviates from the game you are suppose to enjoy.

a happy Runescaper

Yeah I understand that the number of PMods has increased, and I agree that the article did a good job of portraying the actual role of a PMod in the community.

I'm just saying, I've had mostly good experiences when I see PMods in game, although I'm sure there are some out there who aren't doing as good of a job (or too good of a job).

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Personally, I don't understand why so many players would want to be a PMod. I guess for the distinction, like Mage pointed out. I don't think they know what they're asking for though. I appreciate what they are there for and all, but I wouldn't touch that job with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

rssig2.png

I always thought the Dragon Shortswords special would be something like attacking as fast as Darts/Knives and draining maybe 20% of the bar whilst having 50% less accuracy but each successful hit would restore it by like 25%.

That would be a annoying spec because you would have to click the bar alot so why not make passive like d b axe?

in other news looking forward to new d weps especially d cross bow

:thumbup: Buy d weps when they come out they could rise like d claws get ur cash ready :thumbup:

-> the d scimmy is from ape atoll because the monkeys use scimitars in ape atoll<-

Personally, I don't understand why so many players would want to be a PMod. I guess for the distinction, like Mage pointed out. I don't think they know what they're asking for though. I appreciate what they are there for and all, but I wouldn't touch that job with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

:P To be honest, I didn't think I would either, but then the opportunity popped up for me and I said, "Hey I may as well give it a shot" since it's not a permanent status (yes we can request for our statuses to be revoked if desired). I grew to like the role of helping out the community in a more functional manner, albeit still not that much different from the normal report button, but still something. Better to be able to mute someone who's spamming a dozen lines with racial slurs on the spot than watch and stare in horror after reporting them (or cringe at the thought that even though I might have the player ignored after reporting so many others may not). :shock:

The silver crown can be a curse and a blessing at the same time.... >.> If you cannot handle unwanted abuse appropriately (i.e. going off on them instead of ignoring/reporting them and moving on), this is definitely not something you want to do. If you can handle the abuse but are report happy on everything, I really don't recommend it either because context is a huge thing in the community. Taking pieces out to make someone look bad is just plain awful in my honest opinion. If you can handle the abuse, can take things in context, and is overall up to reading a lot of stuff before going out into the world with a mute-stick, then by all means give a shot. But don't feel pressured to stay being a player moderator forever. You can ask to step down. This is not a career job. This is a volunteer position.

There's a good reason why there isn't a quota of reports either.:razz: Can you imagine the number of mutes and reports going off, and how stressful it could be just PLAYING the game?:huh: It's like saying, "We expect the community to be this bad, so each of you must report this amount of people per month." Jagex does not hold these expectations because they hope that players can follow the rules and behave as appropriate. That being said, they don't expect a perfect community either, thus the introduction of the report abuse button and later player moderators.

Nothing much to say about the article on Player Mods, they seem rather distant to normal players like me.

Regarding the dragon weapons, it is normal for higher level weapons to outclass lower level ones. However, the flaw WITHIN the weapon class itself means that warhammers and shortswords would rarely be used on a long term basis. Even if they have a half decent special attack, it's pointless to come up with a whole new weapon just for people to use it once every few minutes, and with dragon claws and daggers for the rich and not-so-rich players, I don't see why Jagex would even bother introducing the rest of the weapons except to adhere to the 'tradition' of having a dragon counterpart to every rune item (dragon cane, anyone?)

Personally, nowadays I've only seen players using dragon scimitars before they can wield whips, and spec monsters with the dagger. Claws can replace daggers, but if you can afford a pair, you're probably a high leveled player who uses the special bar for other purposes, or a PKer. Battleaxes are a rare sight, and longsword users are an endangered species. 2h-sword? Extinct.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I enjoyed both articles.

The dragon weapons article brought back a whole lot of nostalgia. Oh man, I almost miss my dragon b-axe now. Before weapon speeds were introduced, the dragon b-axe ruled supreme and I hacked through hoards of... what did I even train on back then? Guards? Zombies? Whatever, I hacked through hoards. I wasn't sure what the point about dragon pickaxes being dropped by dwarves was; I mean, dwarves are miners, it seems apropos to me?

Forsaken's article about pmods was clear, concise and will hopefully help people understand where pmods fit within the community a little better. I have no delusions that the people who really need to know this sort of thing will read the article, but maybe it'll take away some of the mystique for some players and answer some questions. I've always had trouble putting into words what a pmod actually is and what they do, so kudos; this article does that really well.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

To be honest, I didn't think I would either, but then the opportunity popped up for me and I said, "Hey I may as well give it a shot" since it's not a permanent status (yes we can request for our statuses to be revoked if desired). I grew to like the role of helping out the community in a more functional manner, albeit still not that much different from the normal report button, but still something. Better to be able to mute someone who's spamming a dozen lines with racial slurs on the spot than watch and stare in horror after reporting them (or cringe at the thought that even though I might have the player ignored after reporting so many others may not). :shock:

The silver crown can be a curse and a blessing at the same time.... >.> If you cannot handle unwanted abuse appropriately (i.e. going off on them instead of ignoring/reporting them and moving on), this is definitely not something you want to do. If you can handle the abuse but are report happy on everything, I really don't recommend it either because context is a huge thing in the community. Taking pieces out to make someone look bad is just plain awful in my honest opinion. If you can handle the abuse, can take things in context, and is overall up to reading a lot of stuff before going out into the world with a mute-stick, then by all means give a shot. But don't feel pressured to stay being a player moderator forever. You can ask to step down. This is not a career job. This is a volunteer position.

There's a good reason why there isn't a quota of reports either.:razz: Can you imagine the number of mutes and reports going off, and how stressful it could be just PLAYING the game?:huh: It's like saying, "We expect the community to be this bad, so each of you must report this amount of people per month." Jagex does not hold these expectations because they hope that players can follow the rules and behave as appropriate. That being said, they don't expect a perfect community either, thus the introduction of the report abuse button and later player moderators.

Well, I don't have to worry about it anyways. I don't expect an invite anytime soon. :D I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Sure, there are times where we all wish we had the power to handle a situation ourselves. Your article I think outlined a lot of the cons that come with the responsibility: answering the same questions every day, unreasonable expectations from other players, player animosity towards you, etc.. I guess you have to weigh the good versus the bad, because you are always going to have to deal with the unwanted attention no matter how many articles you write. Like they say, heavy is the head that wears the crown. I respect the players that accept the added responsibility of becoming a player moderator FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

Let me ask you, since Jagex announced they were reforming their policies on selecting player mods, have you noticed a change, whether better or worse? I like the idea of putting a greater emphasis on community leaders being selected rather than the number of reports.

rssig2.png

Well, I don't have to worry about it anyways. I don't expect an invite anytime soon. :D I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Sure, there are times where we all wish we had the power to handle a situation ourselves. Your article I think outlined a lot of the cons that come with the responsibility: answering the same questions every day, unreasonable expectations from other players, player animosity towards you, etc.. I guess you have to weigh the good versus the bad, because you are always going to have to deal with the unwanted attention no matter how many articles you write. Like they say, heavy is the head that wears the crown. I respect the players that accept the added responsibility of becoming a player moderator FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

Let me ask you, since Jagex announced they were reforming their policies on selecting player mods, have you noticed a change, whether better or worse? I like the idea of putting a greater emphasis on community leaders being selected rather than the number of reports.

I don't think much has changed in all honestly. I've always felt that the original mods were selected because of their community participation, it was just never explicitly stated. Doing so, however, does help to show that we don't need to be report happy to be a player moderator. But I guess in all it is for the better. Less feelings of elitism (I sincerely hope) and less trigger-happy mutes.

:blink: I've found myself reporting more than usual though since becoming a player moderator (almost into my sixth year now... that's scary to think about), but I guess that would have to do with the fact that there are more people playing, and the fact that I've been hanging out in clan chats that are sometimes a wee bit more rowdy than appropriate.:huh:

I wasn't sure what the point about dragon pickaxes being dropped by dwarves was; I mean, dwarves are miners, it seems apropos to me?

I'm talking about the fact that perhaps the Hatchet should be dropped by something you WC at, like Evil Trees... The same could also be said for the Pickaxe...

Meaning the Pickaxe shoudl come form mining, not miners...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I wasn't sure what the point about dragon pickaxes being dropped by dwarves was; I mean, dwarves are miners, it seems apropos to me?

I'm talking about the fact that perhaps the Hatchet should be dropped by something you WC at, like Evil Trees... The same could also be said for the Pickaxe...

Meaning the Pickaxe shoudl come form mining, not miners...

Ah, I see. You mean like something akin to getting the adze from the beacon minigame? That would be kind of cool, but it would force Jagex to up the level req on the pickaxe and hatchet, which would bring it out of step with other dragon items.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

But we have a few things in store still. At the time I write this article, we have confirmation that the Warhammer and the Crossbow are in development

I heard this rumour more often, and obviously people can't read. I must say that I am shocked that such a huge content error could occur in a tip.it times article. I've always liked stormrage's articles, and I don't know where he got this from, but it's unfortunately completely untrue.

Let me quote from the recent content Q&A:

Will be there any new dragon armour/weapons coming out?

lew neal960

None currently planned; we are looking at higher levels at the moment.

Mod Fetzki

Do you think that it might be possible to release a new dragon weapon sometime in the remaining dwarf/Red Axe storyline, like, say, the dragon warhammer, since the dwarves do use warhammers and it would fit the theme?

Frahaleah

Nice idea, although I feel new dragon equipment is more likely to come from a drop table than as a quest reward, so it depends on the type of creature dropping it rather than the quest it’s associated with. So, if we released some new dwarf NPCs to fight we might add this, but I am not sure that we need more level 60 equipment in the game.

Mod Mark

for some reason I can't find the crossbow statement again, but it was something along the lines of the warhammer statement. Actually, the first quote says all. Please, edit this quickly!!

EDIT:Oh, and btw....the first statement is from Mod fetzki...if that guy doesn't talk his way around a question and clearly states something, it MUST be true...^^

The first article is average

That second one about the p-mods is really fantastic

It amazes me that after years and years of playing, I still see people asking if Jagex pays p-mods, gives them special items, or makes them immune to reports. The crazy ones even accuse the p-mods of being high ranking cheaters. This was an excellently written article that I hope educates many people of what p-mods are. (ftr, I am not one, and find that I am able to enjoy the game thoroughly without being one.)

The first article is average

That second one about the p-mods is really fantastic

It amazes me that after years and years of playing, I still see people asking if Jagex pays p-mods, gives them special items, or makes them immune to reports. The crazy ones even accuse the p-mods of being high ranking cheaters. This was an excellently written article that I hope educates many people of what p-mods are. (ftr, I am not one, and find that I am able to enjoy the game thoroughly without being one.)

To be perfectly honest, this:

"How do I become a player moderator?" The easiest way to answer this question would be to simply point them to the Moderator section on RuneScape's main page. Unfortunately, this is the general response I get (usually in not-so-perfect text): "I don't want to read." Already I'm hitting my head on the desk wondering why players even bother to ask how to become a player moderator if they're already not wanting to read the massive amounts of information that would be bombarded upon them should they be chosen.

They just want the shiny crown. And the rumors probably come from immature kids who are too lazy to find out for themselves and therefore make these things up. What I find really ironic though, is that for every person that says they are too lazy to read the information, they are typing that in response to something they've just read. But I guess they want it all on a silver platter.

But the average player, or at least a fair chunk of them, finds something inherently wrong with figuring things out by themselves, such as checking the GE database or the manual. I use both, because in all honesty its usually faster to check it yourself then to ask someone.

As you can tell by this mini-rant, people being too lazy to read stuff is one of my pet-peeves.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

To be perfectly honest, this:

"How do I become a player moderator?" The easiest way to answer this question would be to simply point them to the Moderator section on RuneScape's main page. Unfortunately, this is the general response I get (usually in not-so-perfect text): "I don't want to read." Already I'm hitting my head on the desk wondering why players even bother to ask how to become a player moderator if they're already not wanting to read the massive amounts of information that would be bombarded upon them should they be chosen.

They just want the shiny crown. And the rumors probably come from immature kids who are too lazy to find out for themselves and therefore make these things up. What I find really ironic though, is that for every person that says they are too lazy to read the information, they are typing that in response to something they've just read. But I guess they want it all on a silver platter.

But the average player, or at least a fair chunk of them, finds something inherently wrong with figuring things out by themselves, such as checking the GE database or the manual. I use both, because in all honesty its usually faster to check it yourself then to ask someone.

As you can tell by this mini-rant, people being too lazy to read stuff is one of my pet-peeves.

That is very true, a lot of players simply want the status of Pmods and their mute powers so they can show off to other people. I even remember people tell me how Pmods can mute whoever they want (well, if you want the status to get revoked and not to mention totally immature) I seen other people envy Pmods not for their true purpose in the game, but for the fact that the special crown and temp mute powers they possess.

I always like a phrase from Spiderman, "with great power comes with great responsibility", unfortunately a lot of them only look at the "power" but not the responsible part. Then again, a lot of players respect Pmods too, as long as you respect them back. I seem players have positive response when Pmods do respond to them back, instead of saying one word reply and continue doing their stuff. Overall, my mentality is don't envy Pmods, just play the game as you wanted to, if you get choose as one, that's great, if not, its no big deal. Because we all play RS simply because we enjoy RS.

Lastly, as many regular players don't even know they are can report rule breakers too, so there isn't much difference between them except for the mute. Simply stick to the rule of report discreetly and walk away will do more good for the community in the long run.

a happy Runescaper

In reference to the second article, I have to say that i have seen many more community minded, upstanding players lately, especially from the higher levels. One great example that springs to mind is that, about two weeks ago, a player at the GE was advertising a private server with no trade limit and that allowed macros. Literally seconds after he had began, approximately ten players (including myself) jumped on him, and a few minutes later it had swelled to a small crowd. Needless to say, he attempted to justify himself, began to insult us in turn, and then logged out.

The greatest part? Not one moderator was in the area, and the community solved the problem.

Rune Tips Merchanting Site!

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

oh, sorry...

you're wrong :P

Rswiki has a few links saved somewhere I think...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I got a statement from mod fetzki that there are no dragon weapons currently planned, how can that be wrong? You can check it yourself, the forum thread with the content Q&A is still there...

EDIT: ok, I just checked the rswiki and see which posts you are referring to. However, with the dragon xbow, Mod mark said "not until we have balanced the combat triangle"

Also, keep in mind that the Q&A I'm referring to is more recent, maybe they changed plans.

I don't think they'll never release them, but I think "under development" is too much for the moment. It implicates that will be added soon, no more than half a year for a weapon I'd say, and I don't think that will be the case...

In reference to the second article, I have to say that i have seen many more community minded, upstanding players lately, especially from the higher levels. One great example that springs to mind is that, about two weeks ago, a player at the GE was advertising a private server with no trade limit and that allowed macros. Literally seconds after he had began, approximately ten players (including myself) jumped on him, and a few minutes later it had swelled to a small crowd. Needless to say, he attempted to justify himself, began to insult us in turn, and then logged out.

The greatest part? Not one moderator was in the area, and the community solved the problem.

This is the thing we need to see more in the RS community!