Hi-Fi

Sam

Hi.

I'm looking for good non-earbud headphones for under $40.

423j.png

I've done a little bit of research and I found these:

Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones

415rwyHh1ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1287126621&sr=1-1

Koss PortaPro Headphones with Case

416ZE03P6aL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Just for use around college using my iPod and in my dorm on my laptop.

Atm I have these:

41FKR2RH44L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

... which are super-comfortable but the sound-quality isn't all that good (i.e. bass is minimal).

So basically just the following

- non-earbud (those seem frustrating to keep in the ear)

- under $40 (or $50 if you're convincing)

- easily fits in backpack (headphones are fairly sturdy)

- willing to purchase off Amazon or something (but that's a given)

Thanks a ton.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Koss is fine for portable gear and such.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-EM7-GM-Adjustable-Headphones/dp/B0009GWXAK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Just got these, and they're damn good, better than my speakers. You don't necessarily get "booming" bass but you can tell that the bass is there. Not a bad investment in the $50 range.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Bose stuff is kinda overpriced but it works.

Good buy on the Audio-Technicas. Even their low-end stuff is incredible quality, but you'd want to look elsewhere for oontz oontz pounding bass. It's not really a part of the AT sound - Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser cans handle that better. I wouldn't especially recommend any Sennheiser headphones apart from the HD650 which are pretty much the best for price/performance under £300, although you'd need an amplifier for them. ATs are fine for 99% of music though, a good catch-all solution.

Yeah, I wouldn't ever get anything Bose except for their headphones. Anything else, half of what you're paying for is size-reduction and aesthetics.

At the moment I have a Marantz SR-45 for an amp and some Paradigm Mini Mk-II for speakers. Unfortunately I'm using my computer as the player.. I've been collecting vinyl for a little while now, but still haven't been able to find a reasonable (second-hand) turntable for my budget. At the moment I'm just hopping between garage sales hoping someone doesn't want their Thorens any more..

Cool.

It seems like vinyl is making a comeback. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice turntable as well.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It seems like vinyl is making a comeback. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice turntable as well.

It's never going to overtake digital formats again, because it's so inconvenient in comparison. There is something special about listening to a good vinyl on a good system though.

Cool.

It is really inconvenient. To really get the most out of it, you need a system that's completely analog. Digital reproduction of vinyl (and that includes these insane 24-bit 96kHz FLAC rips you see on the internet) isn't especially great and well, it loses a lot of the authenticity. At least, I think so.

I have to say though, vinyl is worth buying just for the sleeves alone. A lot of cover art looks really, really good on 12"x12".

Yeah, I wouldn't ever get anything Bose except for their headphones. Anything else, half of what you're paying for is size-reduction and aesthetics.

At the moment I have a Marantz SR-45 for an amp and some Paradigm Mini Mk-II for speakers. Unfortunately I'm using my computer as the player.. I've been collecting vinyl for a little while now, but still haven't been able to find a reasonable (second-hand) turntable for my budget. At the moment I'm just hopping between garage sales hoping someone doesn't want their Thorens any more..

Could I suggest a Rega deck? My friend owns one and they are actually fantastic, you can get a second hand deck for a reasonable price.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Could I suggest a Rega deck? My friend owns one and they are actually fantastic, you can get a second hand deck for a reasonable price.

Yeah, I'm looking for something Thorens, Linn, Rega, or perhaps Project. Obviously there are good brands aside from those, but to be honest I don't know enough about turntables to make sure I'm getting a good deal if they're second-hand. With those brands at least I know it'll be good. :)

Cool.