Literature

Mr_Adam

19 October 2010

This thread has been moved from Off-Topic to the Varrock Library. However, as literature discussions are now to take place in the Varrock Library, you are welcome to create your own new thread to ask for book recommendations or to start a new literature discussion.

~tripsis

Since TIF seems to be in need of a thread like this, I've taken liberty to create it :) Feel free to discuss anything related to books, plays, screenplays, etc. Who knows: maybe you'll find something entirely new you won't be able to put down!

Anyways, grab some coffee and a sweater, and let's get going!

Also, check out the Varrock Library section of TIF to check out other TIFers works!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discussion of literature is welcome, but if you're going to post writing, please use the Varrock Library (where writing goes to die). Shame, I know, but that's what it's for.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Just about finished with Waiting for Godot, it was funny, to me, but I'm sure there are some "themes" I've missed. The 3 page summary (double spaced) is due tomorrow for peer review, better get to that...

Leman.png

Discussion of literature is welcome, but if you're going to post writing, please use the Varrock Library (where writing goes to die). Shame, I know, but that's what it's for.

I guess so - I don't even recall that section until now, and I probably would have assumed it as RuneScape related. Maybe changing the title will make it more present?

Anyways, I've been reading The Dark Tower series. I'm soon to finish Book 6, and it's my first reading of Stephen King. I like the series, but I feel like it really drags on sometimes. I understand that he wants to make something epic, but a lot of stuff just feels like empty space... with trains.

I think when I'm done I'll read Don Quixote - just curious as to how long that is?

If I could ever find book 5 of the Dark Tower series I'd finish it. For some reason it's being very elusive at Half Price Books.

p2gq.jpg

I'm currently reading Konjiki no Gash Bell!! (Manga is literature too!!! :mad: ) and I have a research project to do in English on the why Shakespeare and Dylan Thomas are related (Thomas read Shakespeare's poems to his children as bed time stories)

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Some of the amazing books I've read lately.

Atlas Shrugged. Wow is all I have to say. It was very interesting

The Count of Monte Cristo. Finally finished all of it. Only got 800 pages into it last time. Amazing literature.

I need some interesting books to read now, but not classic-y. More exciting ones.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I just finished reading Luthiel's Song (books 1 and 2) by Robert Fannéy - epic books. I can't wait for #3 :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I don't know why but this topic reminds me of Trapical. I haven't read much lately because of all the work I have to do for college and also to find a job for when I get out of college.

I'm awaiting Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow from my grandparents for my birthday. Both are part of the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.

I tried reading Hyperion, but I just couldn't get into it.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I have about $70 in gift cards to spend at Chapters/Indigo, any suggestions on books to read? I feel like reading "classics" at the moment, but couldn't really decide on what to get, other than Frankenstein (One of my favourite books).

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Here are some books that I have read recently (from what I can remember off the top of my head):

-The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

-Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

-Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein

-Children of Odin: Nordic Gods and Heroes - Padraic Colum

-Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw

Previous readings that I particularly enjoyed:

-Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

-War of the Worlds - George Orwell

-Contact - Carl Sagan

Books that I started reading and stopped temporarily:

-The Prince - Machiavelli

Books that I plan to read:

-A Modest Proposal - Thomas Swift

-Common Sense - Thomas Paine

-A History of the English-Speaking Peoples - Winston Churchill

--------------

I look for other things to read, but I think that I need to read what I have planned before moving on to another book. I strongly recommend reading Brave New World and Starship Troopers if you are into science fiction combined with philosophy and political theory. They're both really great novels, even if you aren't into philosophy or politics. Although, I should warn you that Brave New World is a very strange novel, but it is still something that will keep you interested and entertained.

From reading Starship Troopers, I became particularly interested in a poem titled Danny Deever by Rudyard Kipling.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Brave New World and 1984 are quite interesting books that everyone should read at some point. They provide an interesting perspective on the future.

Lately I haven't had much time to read anything aside from what I've had to read for my British lit class; Fortunately its a good class and I haven't particularly disliked anything we've had to read. I recently finished Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which was excellent, and am currently reading Brave New World, which is very interesting so far, though I'm only about halfway through it.

Oh, and Serephurus, I noticed you said you wanted to read A Modest Proposal. It's interesting, but I just wanted to make sure you knew its not much of a book lengthwise, as it was just a pamphlet published by Swift. You can easily read it in one sitting online somewhere when you get bored. Very... interesting read though.

Just finished up reading King Lear. Talk about a tragedy, that has to be one of Shakespeare's most depressing plays :(

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Mm.

Just finished the Mordant's Need series, by Stephen Donaldson, which was awesome. :3 And starting on the first Sparhawk trilogy, which is awesome too.

Recommend them both to anyone who enjoys fantasy epic kinda stuff. : D

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I'm awaiting Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow from my grandparents for my birthday. Both are part of the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.

Awesome series, the Enderverse. Speaker for the Dead goes down one line of the story (known as The Ender Saga, with Xenocide and Children of the Mind), and Ender's Shadow takes another (known as the Shadow Saga, with Shadow of the Hegamon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant). Card is currently in the process of writing another book, called Shadows in Flight, that supposedly brings the two split storylines back together.

fuer grissa ost drauka

"Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary, cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no committment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance of life: death. It is the dance with death."

"Dance with me, Death." Bringer of death. "I am ready."

Teacher made us decide on a book to read for our book report yesterday. I have played the Hobbit video game but never read the book, so i chose that. gonna get started soon.

I seems to really only like fantasy (of basically any sort) and Sci-Fi. Favorite series are Redwall series, Inheritance Cycle, Inkheart series, and Harry Potter (i know it's clichéd but they're good and interesting, i red the whole series twice a year, around june and october )

Oh yeah and i forgot i love the Gregor the Overlander series, just read it last september. Good read.

Adventure_Time_by_Titan_of_Tacos.png

I tried reading Hyperion, but I just couldn't get into it.

The only book I really liked in that series was Ender's Game itself, the others I just couldn't get into.

As of late I've not been much into fiction anyway, mostly programming books and history acticles for me!

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Mm.

Just finished the Mordant's Need series, by Stephen Donaldson, which was awesome. :3 And starting on the first Sparhawk trilogy, which is awesome too.

Recommend them both to anyone who enjoys fantasy epic kinda stuff. : D

I picked up the omnibus edition of that series for four bucks, haven't gotten around to reading it. My to-read list is looooonnnnng.

p2gq.jpg

It's funny you should have this idea, because just a few days ago I made a post about good literature I've read recently in the "Coffee Shoppee" thread in Varrock Library. Unfortunately, the thread gets about half a visitor every week. If I get bored enough I may go retrieve the post and paste it in here.

By the way, OP I remember the strip your avatar comes from.

It's funny you should have this idea, because just a few days ago I made a post about good literature I've read recently in the "Coffee Shoppee" thread in Varrock Library. Unfortunately, the thread gets about half a visitor every week. If I get bored enough I may go retrieve the post and paste it in here.

By the way, OP I remember the strip your avatar comes from.

Lol, I like reading the strips in my Spanish book and knowing exactly what's being said, even though I probably couldn't translate it :grin: I've meant to change it, but I'm just... so lazy....

I have to do a literary research paper on a book, and I chose 1984. I read it once when I was like 13 at my dad's suggestion, and I didn't particularly like it... I just figured it would be easy to do, and it's not Harry Potter (although my backup was to research Dumbledore's homosexuality in the novels... but my teacher would most likely eat my head. She LOVES Potter). Now that I think back to it, it gets scarier and scarier :blink:

Brave New World is mentioned in lots of the analysis, I'll probably end up looking thru that sometime soon.

Awesome series, the Enderverse. Speaker for the Dead goes down one line of the story (known as The Ender Saga, with Xenocide and Children of the Mind), and Ender's Shadow takes another (known as the Shadow Saga, with Shadow of the Hegamon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant). Card is currently in the process of writing another book, called Shadows in Flight, that supposedly brings the two split storylines back together.

Is Ender's Shadow the start of the Shadow Sage?

I've only read Ender's Game and Ender in Exile, but I'm pretty sure that the correct order so far. When I get Speaker for the Dead I'll be able to move the story along a bit, since Ender in Exile just put the last bit of Ender's Game into more detail.

I love the series so far though. :thumbup: