Literature

Mr_Adam

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got To Kill a Mockingbird today in school. I'm excited to read it, but I'm in the middle of the final Dark Tower... I hate when the curriculum does that to me.

Might just blast through it on a trip to DC in two weeks :mrgreen:

Also, I want to read Dante's Divine Comedy soon, is that hard to find? Or do people reprint it every do often?

I got To Kill a Mockingbird today in school. I'm excited to read it, but I'm in the middle of the final Dark Tower... I hate when the curriculum does that to me.

Might just blast through it on a trip to DC in two weeks :mrgreen:

Also, I want to read Dante's Divine Comedy soon, is that hard to find? Or do people reprint it every do often?

You should be able to find Dante's Divine Comedy at Barnes and Noble bookstores. I have a copy that I bought there a while back; it should be a red hard-back book. Look for it in the discounted section first.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

If you're going to read The Divine Comedy you can get a nice cheap paperback which will be fully annotated for your pleasure. Unless you're extremely well versed in both world history and literary history then there's parts of it that you just won't understand without a guiding hand. Oxford do a very nice copy as a part of their World's Classics range.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I received 6 books from my grandparents for my birthday. I got the entire Ender's Shadow series, along with Speaker of the Dead and the entire Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series (my favorite series of all time).

I have quite a bit to read now. It should keep me occupied for a while. :thumbup:

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

My local library's basement flooded, and now they're closed indefinitely... Luckily, I don't think there's anything in the basement that I personally would have been interested in - not sure what was down there, really, besides the bathrooms - and now it seems I can keep Dark Tower vol. 7 longer, and I've been taking a while with that.

As long as it opens again conveniently as I finish I should be good =P

I am forced to read for the first time in years. :razz: 1984 for English Class. Read the book a couple of years back so I'm familiar of it's content.

read plusgood plussmart you

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I might as well call all my notes for my USHistory college course a book, 32 pages of notes, condensed from a voice recording that I took.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently beginning work on my fantasy novel. School's over in three weeks and I feel the need to finish a complete novel by summer's end, so might as well get an early start.

Bought quite a few books to read. Right now I am reading Dune, by Frank Herbert. I love it, and I own the other five in the original series and a couple in the prequels/sequels/midquels by his son. Great sci-fi series.

I also bought the Ninja novels by Eric Lustbader. My favorite teacher told me they were his favorite and that I should read them. I will oblige.

Nothing much new coming out that interests me this summer. Hopefully the fall/winter seasons have another Stephen King novel and perhaps some decent fantasy coming.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I just read Graceling by Kristin Cashore and LOVED it. I ordered the second book (though it's more of a prequel to the first) and can't wait to get started :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Discussion of literature is welcome, but if you're going to post writing, please use the Varrock Library (where writing goes to die). Shame, I know, but that's what it's for.

I guess so - I don't even recall that section until now, and I probably would have assumed it as RuneScape related. Maybe changing the title will make it more present?

Anyways, I've been reading The Dark Tower series. I'm soon to finish Book 6, and it's my first reading of Stephen King. I like the series, but I feel like it really drags on sometimes. I understand that he wants to make something epic, but a lot of stuff just feels like empty space... with trains.

I think when I'm done I'll read Don Quixote - just curious as to how long that is?

I found a copy of Don Quixote on Amazon that is 992 pages.

Anyway, I just finished reading "War of the Worlds" a few days ago and I'm gonna start "The Time Machine" soon. Then probably read "The Tommyknockers" by Stephen King, since I have quite a few books of his that I haven't read yet.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

In my English class we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I already read it in 7th grade, but I don't remember much from it. Pretty neutral on the book, I guess.

I also just purchased Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

In my English class we have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I already read it in 7th grade, but I don't remember much from it. Pretty neutral on the book, I guess.

I also just purchased Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert.

I thought that was pretty good. But of course, the book people know isn't going to be tested on - instead we have a full essay test on The Bean Trees, which I haven't finished. And heard is boring.

Haven't been reading much lately. My schedule's been all messed up =\

Finished a shortened version of The Odyssey today. (came in the form of a big packet)

Was pretty awesome. I couldn't resist and wrote "Cool story, bro." in the back.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

I just finished Tallow, by Karen Brooks. Pretty good book, the first in a series, the next of which doesn't come out until next year. ;_; Reading some old Terry Pratchett novels for nostalgia, just finished Thief of Time and Hogfather, they're still as awesome as ever. Also read To Ride Hell's Chasm, by Janny Wurts, which was interesting.

About halfway through The Throat, by Peter Straub, pretty good so far. Also starting on Domes of Fire, by David Eddings, the Bachman Books, and Confessions of an Economic Hitman.

Also, a pretty cool biography to read, if anyone's interested: Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I'm A Piano Player In A Whorehouse, by Paul Carter. About a guy who worked in the oil rig business (duh). More interesting than it sounds, and hilarious at some points. Sadface at others. D:

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Finished Dune, which should be required reading for people who say they like Sci-Fi. I was obsessed with it, and it is hard for me to sit and read a book over two weeks because I usually get very bored, but Dune was entertaining without being ultra-violent, which is odd because I am really into reading action-packed and pretty frenetic lit.

Reading Paul of Dune, a midquel that bridges the gap between Dune and Dune Messiah. Over about a day I've read 250 pages of it so far, which is pretty good for me. Despite my fast reading of it, it isn't great, definitely isn't going to be held in as high esteem as Dune, but is still alright. I just hate books that jump around the timeline really fast. Like one chapter is the first year of a war, the second chapter is the third year of the war. If you are bridging the gap between two books, why would you have a broken novel? And Paul of Dune is a bad name for a book that focuses on almost every surviving character that anybody gives a damn about.

Next I'm reading the first set of prequels, the House Trilogy, which is hopefully following a shorter timeline and won't jump around too much. One of my biggest problems with Paul of Dune is the fact that at the beginning of the book he talks about things that happened in Paul's past, that aren't actually explained till quite a while into the book, making it hard to understand why the Atreides have a blood feud with this other house.

I don't know. If you are going to read Dune, read the originals by Frank Herbert, and then try the prequels and sequels and mid-quels by his son and see what you think, because you either really enjoy them or really hate them or are not impressed by them. I fall in the latter, and my Dad, who was the one who told me to read the series, falls in the "The prequels and sequels and stuff are awesome" because he found Frank Herbert's writing style to become to technical and too philosophical toward the end of the series.

We'll see. I have planned to try to read through the whole series by halfway through summer, so about mid-July. Wish me luck.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Reading is so flipping boring. I think I od'd when I was younger. Although currently I'm reading the "Serial Killer" files, quite interesting.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Reading is so flipping boring. I think I od'd when I was younger. Although currently I'm reading the "Serial Killer" files, quite interesting.

Mmm I love reading :P Sometimes an awesome book can be more exciting for me than an awesome movie. Books make me ridiculously excited/giddy.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I gave up on Donaldson. Could not stomach him enough to finish Mirror of Her Dreams.

In other news, finished Stand-Up Tragedy by Bill Cain, a play. Thought it was brilliant. It's just so unconventional and dark. Next up is Equus.

Also reading a biography of Konrad Adenauer. Whoo boy.

p2gq.jpg

Here are some books that I have read recently (from what I can remember off the top of my head):

-The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

-Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

-Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein

-Children of Odin: Nordic Gods and Heroes - Padraic Colum

-Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw

Previous readings that I particularly enjoyed:

-Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell

-War of the Worlds - George Orwell

-Contact - Carl Sagan

Books that I started reading and stopped temporarily:

-The Prince - Machiavelli

Books that I plan to read:

-A Modest Proposal - Thomas Swift

-Common Sense - Thomas Paine

-A History of the English-Speaking Peoples - Winston Churchill

--------------

I look for other things to read, but I think that I need to read what I have planned before moving on to another book. I strongly recommend reading Brave New World and Starship Troopers if you are into science fiction combined with philosophy and political theory. They're both really great novels, even if you aren't into philosophy or politics. Although, I should warn you that Brave New World is a very strange novel, but it is still something that will keep you interested and entertained.

From reading Starship Troopers, I became particularly interested in a poem titled Danny Deever by Rudyard Kipling.

"A Modest Proposal" is pure awesomeness. xD It's hilarious. :D My brother read it a while back and showed it to me. Read it now or forever hold your peace.

[hide=Spoiler Alert!]

It says to eat all of the beggar children and poor to solve world hunger and put our resources towards better things, but still keep beggar children being pumped out by not making life *too* good.

[/hide]

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

Just found out a new Gaunt's Ghosts novel has come out. Almost wet myself.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif