Combating RWT

dragon246665

A lot of you don't seem to understand the concept, NO money would enter the game from a Runescape PLEX, money would just go from the player buying the PLEX to the player selling the PLEX.

In my mind, a Runescape PLEX would be an item in Runescape, when you activate a real life time-code you have the option of getting 30 days of membership, or getting an in-game item.

All in all no money would enter the game.

And if Jagex's Official RWT gave items rather then GP we would see massive deflation potentially on a larger scale then the one we say in the first half of 2008 when the goldfarmers sold off ALL their items. No one wants inflation on the scale that he had durring last summer, but I certainly don't want hyper deflation either.

A lot of you don't seem to understand the concept, NO money would enter the game from a Runescape PLEX, money would just go from the player buying the PLEX to the player selling the PLEX.

In my mind, a Runescape PLEX would be an item in Runescape, when you activate a real life time-code you have the option of getting 30 days of membership, or getting an in-game item. If you decide to take the item, the next time you log in, there will be a little message, sort of like the "One or more of your grade exchange offers has been updated" except this one will be like "Talk to a banker to recieve your PLEX". After talking to a banker you would get an item in your inventory, it would be sort of like a tele-tab, once you click it a little window appears and it asks you to confirm wether or not you want to activate 30 days of membership. If you decide to take the membership, the tab will disappear and you will be a member.

Well, the idea is certainly great, since I am all against RWT big time. On the other hand, how does F2P fit into this theme? I remember awhile ago, Jagex was thinking about that Jump Drive key code idea, which I thought it was great too but after seeing so much input from other players (which definitely help them think outside the box), it doesn't seem to be a viable solution anymore. I am a F2P myself, and I can afford membership if I wanted to, but I sort of want to drag this game out as long as I can, so being a F2P is a challenge and achievement for me. I wonder if you buy something from RS to secure your own position, it would still be call F2P?

I think somewhere down the line, some online MMORPG will think of a great solution to RWT problem, and then others will follow. For now, we can only do the best we can and not get involved or report rule break we see. After all, if no one buys online gold, there wouldn't be those RWT merchant in the first place.

a happy Runescaper

In my mind, a Runescape PLEX would be an item in Runescape, when you activate a real life time-code you have the option of getting 30 days of membership, or getting an in-game item.

And if Jagex's Official RWT gave items rather then GP we would see massive deflation potentially on a larger scale then the one we say in the first half of 2008 when the goldfarmers sold off ALL their items. No one wants inflation on the scale that he had durring last summer, but I certainly don't want hyper deflation either.

And I think you're massively overestimating the deflation that would occur due to something like this.

I think OP's plan didn't include Jagex selling GP for cash. I believe it worked like this:

Player A has 10m, 0 "subscription credits"

Player B has 0m, 0 "subscription credits"

Total amount of GP: 10m

Player B goes to Target and buys a "subscription card", which gives him "1 subscription credit" in game.

Player B now has 0m, 1 "subscription credits"

Player B goes to the subscription auctionhouse or the Grand Exchange (do not like it on GE, but it could be done) , and puts up a sale offer. Subscriptions are going for about 4.5m each, but he decides to put it up for 5.2m.

Player A comes along, and sees a subscription is for sale for 5.2m. Since he has 10m to blow and wants membership, he buys a "subscription credit" from player B for 5.2m

Player A now has 4.8m, 1 "subscription credits"

Player B now has 5.2m, 0 "subscription credits"

Player B exchanges his subscription credit for 1 month membership.

Player A now has 4.8m

Player B now has 5.2m

Total amount of GP: 10m

No new GP is being created. The total amount remains the same. The only economic effect of this is a redistribution of wealth and membership being more available to all players, which will increase members and decrease F2Pers. This will drive up items that F2Pers typically produce, such as iron, yews, etc. Other members only items that have reached their max supply like dragon bones will also increase in price.

Deflation is unlikely to occur. However, botting in P2P may return.

So if I understand this correctly, you will be able to get membership without actually paying for it? Instead, someone else buys it for RL money, and then you buy it from them for GP?

If this is how it works, then how will it counter RWT at all? They can't remove the trade limit and bring back the old pvp loot system, so I don't see any use for this.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Lots of people would rather pay like 10m or something than $6 for a month of membership. I daresay I might even be in that category.

Anyway, it would institutionalize RWT. Like someone said earlier, say I wanted to buy 100m in game. Before I'd pay some third party for the 100m. But now I can go pick up 100m worth of membership from Target and sell it to someone in game. It'd be sanctioned by Jagex, so my account would not be banned. However, if I went to a third party website, it would still be against the ToS.