Runescape 'Instant-Demo'

Arch_Tyrant

No, it isn't. The username/password is stored in your cookies, but the account itself is hosted by Jagex.

That would make sense, actually.

But just in the interest of testing it, I deleted all of my cookies and deleted the Jagex cache and the client still found the account. Is there another kind of cookie I don't know about? I'll admit I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the subject.

It could just recognize your IP ofcourse

Lord_Beloved.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it isn't. The username/password is stored in your cookies, but the account itself is hosted by Jagex.

But just in the interest of testing it, I deleted all of my cookies and deleted the Jagex cache and the client still found the account. Is there another kind of cookie I don't know about? I'll admit I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the subject.

Wow, I logged in again and got a different username. I don't know. Maybe each IP only has one demo account at a time.

EDIT: peronix beat me to it. Same minute, too.

lalalasig2.png

It looks like it would be annoying if you completed the Demo only to learn that the account could not be transferred, and you would have to start over on those nine quests and first few levels again. Or can the account be transferred to F2P and given a name?

For those who cannot see Rhhh4's pic, Demo has 9 quests, a smaller world, no D&D/Minigames, 34 bank spaces, and no chat.

You get this screen when you click the upgrade bar in the demo:

100331014026.png

I really like it btw, it works perfectly and i hope people will be attracted to rs more easily now, the new f2p quest also ties in nicely. This was actually the first time since i made my account that ive been on a new account btw :P

Lord_Beloved.png

Very good idea on Jagex's part. It gets new players in the game instantly without having to go through account creation, they get a feel for the game and if they like it, they go ahead and make an account.

I'm glad Jagex is stepping up on their advertising lately

-------------------------------------------------------------------

um .. where exactly are those cookies saved :? (I want to save them somewhere else .. so I will be able to access the account if I accidently delete 'em)

I am srs =/ .. I am afraid to log off lol

there is a level 20 level cap =/

That shouldn't matter too much. I think jagex just wanted a way for people to quickly try the game. If they enjoy it, I'm sure they're register and become free to play before they reach level 20 anyway. If not, well it just helps keep some usernames free for people who really are interested in the game.

cheezysigtipit.png

High-alching that REALLY expensive item in my inventory looks more and more tempting with every beer I drink.

At least macorers can't mass produce trial accounts and use them to ruin the economy.

I don't follow you ... o.O in other words "wha' ?"

He means people can't just make hundreds of trial bots and dump resources into the GE.

Carpe_Deus.png

qkpY.png

At least macorers can't mass produce trial accounts and use them to ruin the economy.

I don't follow you ... o.O in other words "wha' ?"

He means people can't just make hundreds of trial bots and dump resources into the GE.

I don't see anything stopping them. Make new account > finish the tutorial > gather and dump (kind'a like it ... always was ?)

Doesn't RuneScape already have a demo version? It's called f2p. I mean, it's basically a demo version. It's not updated and has limited content, just like a demo.

And in a demo you can only do a certain amount of things before you can't go any further.

How many times must it be repeated to make people understand, F2p isn't a demo!!

This would be like...Gnome copters. Except you can actually do things yourself (Very limited amount, I'm sure. I've not actually seen it nor heard of it before now.)

You have your definitions mixed up. A Free Trial is a demo with a limited amount of time/uses. F2P receives no updates (3-5 new minutes of content from Blood Pact doesn't count) and is only a fraction of the full game. I'm fairly certain that is a demo. The ONLY reason that Jagex says it is not a demo is so they can receive free publicity from the record books for "World's Largest/Best Free MMO/Online Game." F2P is a demo.

ON TOPIC:

I believe this is a good idea. Now there is an instant-demo for those who wish to test F2P before wasting a user name on an account. Sounds good to me.

Off the top of my head (havnt played in a year )

* Graphical updates for the whole world

* Clan Wars

* Bounty Hunter

* Security Stronghold

* Duel Arena

And you say F2P is not updated? I'm sure there are tons I've missed as well

The demo account does keep its stats and items gained when its upgraded to a free account for anyone wondering =)

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Wow, I logged in again and got a different username. I don't know. Maybe each IP only has one demo account at a time.

EDIT: peronix beat me to it. Same minute, too.

Its probably stored in the .jagex_cache_32 folder on your hard drive.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

2yzd79v.png

Phew. Glad that's cleared up. And to Chris yes it is silly indeed, but not entirely inconceivable that a company could kid themselves into thinking they could create a totally secure method of storing this information client side. I'm glad Jagex isn't one of those companies.

Just did some of demo, its basically a new acc, with limited quests + skills!

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Off the top of my head (havnt played in a year )

* Graphical updates for the whole world

* Clan Wars

* Bounty Hunter

* Security Stronghold

* Duel Arena

And you say F2P is not updated? I'm sure there are tons I've missed as well

-Clan Wars, Bounty Hunter, and Duel Arena were in exchange for the Wilderness... No New content

-Stronghold of Security/Player Safety was initially implemented so the ADD 10 year olds who wouldn't read the game guide would learn how not to be stalked/hacked.... Not Content, just the rules presented in a way that kids who won't read will learn (which they removed all references to?)

-Graphics: The Demo is part of the whole game. You can't update the full game without updating that part of the demo too.

To reiterate: The ONLY reason that Jagex says it is not a demo is so they can receive free publicity from the record books for "World's Largest/Best Free MMO/Online Game." F2P is a demo.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato